Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 15, 2023, 3:24pm
Gordon McQueen has passed away after suffering from dementia.

RIP Gordon, was a great player back in his day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63664992
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2023, 3:33pm; Reply: 1
RIP.  Gordon great player and nice bloke.
Posted by: DB, June 15, 2023, 3:48pm; Reply: 2
RIP                A great player, one of the best in his generation.
Posted by: TAGG, June 15, 2023, 3:50pm; Reply: 3
Great player, tough as they come  :B
Thoughts are with his family RIP
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 15, 2023, 4:49pm; Reply: 4
Great player, very sad!
Posted by: RonMariner, June 15, 2023, 5:24pm; Reply: 5
Very sad news. 70 is no age to go,
Posted by: denni266, June 15, 2023, 5:24pm; Reply: 6
Another one of the best gone RIP
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 16, 2023, 5:33am; Reply: 7
Great player rip
Posted by: RonMariner, June 16, 2023, 8:35am; Reply: 8
Quoted from RonMariner
Very sad news. 70 is no age to go,

Would the person who red crossed this post care to explain why?
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 16, 2023, 10:58am; Reply: 9
Quoted from RonMariner

Most likely a 12year old who thinks 70 is old Ron.

Pete aged 75 .
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 16, 2023, 11:10am; Reply: 10
Quoted from grimsby pete

Most likely a 12year old who thinks 70 is old Ron.

Pete aged 75 .

Or someone who's 69 and 364 days old!  ;)
Posted by: DB, June 16, 2023, 11:31am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Les Brechin

Or someone who's 69 and 364 days old!  ;)

Happy birthday for tomorrow. 8)

Posted by: Les Brechin, June 16, 2023, 11:33am; Reply: 12
Quoted from DB

Happy birthday for tomorrow. 8)

I'm not quite THAT old yet!!
Posted by: DB, June 17, 2023, 5:18am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm not quite THAT old yet!!

oops, sorry.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 18, 2023, 12:53pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from RonMariner

I red crossed it for the simple reason I don't agree with it.

When you die is decided by fate, by genetics and lifestyle , and if all things considered it was Gordon's time then fair enough. He had a fantastic 70 years, and I've seen parents have a horrid time in the last decade of their lives as I suspect some of us have.

The key is to enjoy your life as you think best whilst you are able, so I don't believe 70 is "no age" when everything is taken into account.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 18, 2023, 11:22pm; Reply: 15

I red crossed it for the simple reason I don't agree with it.

When you die is decided by fate, by genetics and lifestyle , and if all things considered it was Gordon's time then fair enough. He had a fantastic 70 years, and I've seen parents have a horrid time in the last decade of their lives as I suspect some of us have.

The key is to enjoy your life as you think best whilst you are able, so I don't believe 70 is "no age" when everything is taken into account.

Thanks for explaining. Not sure he had 70 fantastic years given that he had dementia. I somehow doubt he would have been happy to get dementia and die aged 70. Who would?

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 19, 2023, 7:24am; Reply: 16
Quoted from RonMariner

Thanks for explaining. Not sure he had 70 fantastic years given that he had dementia. I somehow doubt he would have been happy to get dementia and die aged 70. Who would?

But dementia only gets worse. Would you prefer him to die at 80 having had a worse time just so you don't have say 70 is no age?

Obviously I would prefer it if we lived illness free lives, and were still full of beans at 100 but that's not life, is it?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 9:06am; Reply: 17

But dementia only gets worse. Would you prefer him to die at 80 having had a worse time just so you don't have say 70 is no age?

Obviously I would prefer it if we lived illness free lives, and were still full of beans at 100 but that's not life, is it?

Think you are missing the point. Most people these days live happy and productive lives well into their eighties and beyond. I happen to think that 70 is young to die by today’s standards. Certainly we’ll below average life expectancy.

If you are trying to argue that quality of life is every bit as important as quantity of life then I agree with you. But 70 seems early to me. That’s all I am saying. And there is certainly no need for you to lapse into silly straw man arguments about illness free 100 year olds or me wanting people to suffer on just to justify my post.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 9:07am; Reply: 18
Quoted from RonMariner

Think you are missing the point. Most people these days live happy and productive lives well into their eighties and beyond. I happen to think that 70 is young to die by today’s standards. Certainly well below average life expectancy.

If you are trying to argue that quality of life is every bit as important as quantity of life then I agree with you. But 70 seems early to me. That’s all I am saying. And there is certainly no need for you to lapse into silly straw man arguments about illness free 100 year olds or me wanting people to suffer on just to justify my post.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 19, 2023, 9:20am; Reply: 19
Quoted from RonMariner

Think you are missing the point. Most people these days live happy and productive lives well into their eighties and beyond. I happen to think that 70 is young to die by today’s standards. Certainly we’ll below average life expectancy.

Yes quality of life is the important thing so we can agree on that.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 19, 2023, 9:22am; Reply: 20

Yes quality of life is the important thing so we can agree on that.

Yes indeed. My dad died with dementia and the last year of his life was a living hell that I would not wish on anyone.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 9:57am