Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Poll Data Not Available with Printable Version
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 11, 2023, 10:18am
Wilson seems to be a popular name - it's the name of the search dog being searched for in the Colombian Amazon:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/11/amazon-plane-crash-colombian-children-survived-on-cassava-and-fruits-family-say

Personally, I'm going Mullarkey  :)
Posted by: Mappers, June 11, 2023, 10:26am; Reply: 1
Call it what you want  just not : Shelton , Philip ,Dale or Ian .
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 11, 2023, 10:31am; Reply: 2
I would go for Mullarkey not a lot of dogs about with that name.

I have just got a German shepherd puppy named by our granddaughter .

She is a bit confused at the moment as my wife keeps calling her Nailer. Or Neighler. Or Nalan.

Her name is Nala.  Meaning princess or lioness so has not a clue who the wife is talking to. ;D
Posted by: friskneymariner, June 11, 2023, 10:50am; Reply: 3
Don't call it Forecast at any cost.
Posted by: Chalky, June 11, 2023, 11:18am; Reply: 4
Back in the early '70s my grandad had a black lab called N*gger and for some reason not only was it acceptable but I can remember knowing another dog called that as well,I just just like to add that my grandad wasn't a racist or owt like that... Erm I think
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 11, 2023, 11:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Chalky
I just just like to add that my grandad wasn't a racist or owt like that

Yes he was!

Posted by: Chalky, June 11, 2023, 11:27am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Sandford1981

Yes he was!

I can remember asking him about it years later when I realized that it wasn't a good name and he said that it was named after a dog in WW2, completely forgot about it until now
Posted by: Sandford1981, June 11, 2023, 11:29am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Chalky

I can remember asking him about it years later when I realized that it wasn't a good name and he said that it was named after a dog in WW2, completely forgot about it until now

Something to do with the dam busters wasn’t it?
Posted by: Chalky, June 11, 2023, 11:33am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Sandford1981

I honestly don't know,it seems completely bonkers now
Posted by: It Bites, June 11, 2023, 11:34am; Reply: 9
My Red and White Collie is called Disley
Posted by: RonMariner, June 11, 2023, 12:41pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Sandford1981

Yes, it was a black Labrador owned by Guy Gibson. I understand they over dubbed the name with ‘blackie’ in the Dam Busters movie a few years ago, which was a controversial move.
Posted by: Caveman, June 11, 2023, 12:42pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from friskneymariner
Don't call it Forecast at any cost.

It'd always be missing.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 11, 2023, 1:00pm; Reply: 12
Harry?
Posted by: Sigone, June 11, 2023, 1:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from RonMariner

Yes, it was a black Labrador owned by Guy Gibson. I understand they over dubbed the name with ‘blackie’ in the Dam Busters movie a few years ago, which was a controversial move.

Buried at Scampton, they are trying to work out what to do with the grave when it becomes an asylum home.
Posted by: Mappers, June 11, 2023, 1:46pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Chalky
Back in the early '70s my grandad had a black lab called N*gger and for some reason not only was it acceptable but I can remember knowing another dog called that as well,I just just like to add that my grandad wasn't a racist or owt like that... Erm I think

My grandad had a great pyrenees called chalky ,never crossed my mind it could be colour related though and that it's the same name as you until now though chalky !
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 11, 2023, 2:55pm; Reply: 15
Wilson as I love the film with Tom Hanks 😁
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 11, 2023, 2:57pm; Reply: 16
Mullarky great name for a dog
Posted by: PDXMariner, June 11, 2023, 3:58pm; Reply: 17
My red/brown shelter dog is great with a ball - she's called Gilly after Dave Gilbert.
Posted by: acko338, June 11, 2023, 4:30pm; Reply: 18
The grave of that jet black WW2 dog is at RAF Scampton, awaiting a decision on re-location after the closure.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 11, 2023, 4:31pm; Reply: 19
My brother and I had a pair of rabbits once. White with black patches. We called them Joey and Deano. You can probably guess why.
Posted by: buckstown, June 11, 2023, 4:40pm; Reply: 20
We had a black and white cat called Grimsby
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 11, 2023, 6:08pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from RonMariner

I thought they changed it to Digger.
Posted by: AussieMariner, June 11, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 22
I had a brown Burmese called Grimsby - great cat

Prior to that I had a dog called Hunza. My then wife was (still is) Czech (this was before marrying Czech girls became popular but in retrospect it probably was all about the passport). Anyway, there was a children’s story called, I thought, Hunza the Bear, and it seemed like a good name. I later discovered that Hunza was the name of the boy in the book and it means John - the book was called John AND the Bear.

So I had a dog called John.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 11, 2023, 7:27pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from 137
Wilson seems to be a popular name - it's the name of the search dog being searched for in the Colombian Amazon:

The more famous Wilson the Dog was Jim's placid Belgian Shepherd Dog is Friday Night Dinner (which he was terrified of)...

[youtube]96VSTc0_Wy8[/youtube]
Posted by: RonMariner, June 11, 2023, 10:18pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought they changed it to Digger.

You may be right, I have only seen the original version. Great film though!
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 12, 2023, 10:34am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Chalky

I hear you're a racist now father?  Should we all be racist now? What's the church's position?
Posted by: Chalky, June 12, 2023, 11:15am; Reply: 26
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

I hear you're a racist now father?  Should we all be racist now? What's the church's position?

That still makes me laugh on reruns,the woman who joined in about the Greeks was suburb

"It's not the Greeks he's after,it the Chinese"
Posted by: Mallyner, June 12, 2023, 11:22am; Reply: 27
We used to live next door to the turkey farm at Fulstow; and when lots of local men used to help the farmer out with plucking before Christmas; there was hell of an uproar of laughter, each time the wife called out for our cat Nobby.  :).
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 12, 2023, 11:38am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Chalky

That still makes me laugh on reruns,the woman who joined in about the Greeks was suburb

"It's not the Greeks he's after,it the Chinese"

It's just a brilliant episode all over, I particularly love the big where he visits the other priest and tries to be polite about all the nazi memorabilia!
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 1:54am