Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: codcheeky, June 8, 2023, 11:01am
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/08/taking-the-emotion-out-of-decisions-is-the-way-forward-at-a-football-club
Posted by: Maringer, June 8, 2023, 11:14am; Reply: 1
I'm guessing that Fenty and Newell getting drunk and waggling ties would count as System 1 thinking.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 8, 2023, 11:16am; Reply: 2
I think he hints at the Parslow Point, a textbook example of defensive loss-aversion decision making....or something like that.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 8, 2023, 11:18am; Reply: 3
Quoted from codcheeky

How can our fans fall for that well balanced and thought out article. Including references from experts etc. ??  

Any good owners (sorry,I mean custodians) will put their thoughts on social media themselves at silly O’clock after several glasses of fine wine. 😉
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, June 8, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 4
some fans obsession with a 20 goal a season striker......he's been reading the Fishy hasn't he!  ;D
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 8, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I think he hints at the Parslow Point, a textbook example of defensive loss-aversion decision making....or something like that.

And next time from JS the Jevons Paradox…don’t spaff on impulse buys just because you’ve made a bit of cash…
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 8, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

Will be very interesting to see how this translates to game management next season.
1-0 up with five to play and we bring on an extra striker...
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, June 8, 2023, 12:47pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And next time from JS the Jevons Paradox…don’t spaff on impulse buys just because you’ve made a bit of cash…

Who spaffed on Jevons? It's not surprising he left!
Posted by: gtfc_chris, June 8, 2023, 12:58pm; Reply: 8
Love that, great read.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, June 8, 2023, 1:27pm; Reply: 9
Well, yes, but you can prove anything with facts, can't you?
Posted by: RichMariner, June 8, 2023, 1:56pm; Reply: 10
It's the sort of clear-headed, reasoned and rational thinking this club has craved for decades.

None of this is rocket science, by the way. There are plenty of people out there already doing this, and thinking in this way, and running very profitable and very successful businesses.

Sadly, this approach just doesn't slide into football, for one reason or another.

Owners get caught up in what Jason explains is System 1 thinking. Perhaps they don't mean to, but they stop making decisions they'd normally make in business, and start making daft decisions on a whim.

Broadly, I've always said that fans have much more reasoned debate on a Sunday, not straight after the match. Time is a great healer. People gradually get over a disappointment, and those that said they wouldn't bother coming again soon realise that while the defeat and performance hurt, GTFC is in their blood and they end up going the next week.

It's a great article and it includes a lot of points that we can all learn from.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, June 8, 2023, 2:00pm; Reply: 11
Great read that
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 8, 2023, 3:11pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from RichMariner
It's the sort of clear-headed, reasoned and rational thinking this club has craved for decades.

None of this is rocket science, by the way. There are plenty of people out there already doing this, and thinking in this way, and running very profitable and very successful businesses.

Sadly, this approach just doesn't slide into football, for one reason or another.

Owners get caught up in what Jason explains is System 1 thinking. Perhaps they don't mean to, but they stop making decisions they'd normally make in business, and start making daft decisions on a whim.

Broadly, I've always said that fans have much more reasoned debate on a Sunday, not straight after the match. Time is a great healer. People gradually get over a disappointment, and those that said they wouldn't bother coming again soon realise that while the defeat and performance hurt, GTFC is in their blood and they end up going the next week.

It's a great article and it includes a lot of points that we can all learn from.

I think it's always been tradition to sit down and have a drink after the game, after which you are more likely to say the wrong thing and before you know it, people start pulling people by the tie and it gets messy.

The article is great, but for me those first two paragraphs setting out their approach were brilliant to read.
Posted by: Mappers, June 8, 2023, 5:26pm; Reply: 13
So Hows the squad
Gk-?
Gk-?
RB-Efete
RB/CB-Malarkey
LB-Glennon
LB-Amos
CB-Maher
CB-Waterfall
CB-? Bennett hopefully

Midfield
Clifton
Khouri
Green
Holahan
Hunt
?

Forwards/Wingers
Khan
Orsi
Rose
?
?
?

Would that be enough senior players 21  with  the youngers /loans to top it up ? So about 6 or 7 more signings maybe ?
Posted by: RonMariner, June 11, 2023, 10:36pm; Reply: 14
Since when did letting an experienced manager get on with the job unhindered by a drunk up owner effing and jeffing at the players ever get you three points on a Saturday?
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2023, 12:46am; Reply: 15

I like the fact that they (the new owners) are committed to never going into the changing room and they limit their visits to the training ground and the manager has no commitment to speak to them after a game, but the rest is a little too much overthinking for me.
Posted by: lukeo, June 12, 2023, 6:59am; Reply: 16
Excellent read.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 12, 2023, 9:45am; Reply: 17
To be fair to us , the enlightened and thoroughly objective posters of the fishy, we have said the same for most of Hursts reign(s)..... The Parslow point being the most notable example that is regularly used on here and also in the stands when a "defensive" sub is made.

Just another example of the fishy actually running things at GTFC and seemingly also now The Guardian

;)
Posted by: RonMariner, June 12, 2023, 6:19pm; Reply: 18
It's a really interesting read.

I sometimes have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming that we have such an intelligent owner.
Posted by: mariner83, June 13, 2023, 8:20am; Reply: 19
Quoted from BeijingMariner
Well, yes, but you can prove anything with facts, can't you?

As long as they get them "right" I think it's fine?  :X
Posted by: wuffing, June 13, 2023, 11:19am; Reply: 20
System 2 it is for me and the guess the score league next season then!
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 9:13pm