Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pkscouse, June 7, 2023, 8:38pm
Some idiot on facebook announcing we have signed Ryan Bennett ................fake news ???
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 7, 2023, 8:39pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from pkscouse
Some idiot on facebook announcing we have signed Ryan Bennett ................fake news ???

Nope… no short cuts. You can read the 116 pages like the rest of us have too and hear all about someone having a dog called Wilson, every player to ever play the game getting a mention, endless puns and countless stories that have nothing to do with football.

Enjoy 👍
Posted by: Kris2, June 8, 2023, 9:36am; Reply: 2
They announced we signed him last season too because somebody lives across the road from him and mows his lawn on weekends where he told them this exciting news....Then he signed for Cambridge.

Also he's 33 which many people whinge about on here and say they are old and past it but it's Ryan Bennett who trained in our youth system and was the best player and captain at 17 years old so nostalgia trumps age and he gets a pass on people complaining about age.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 8, 2023, 9:43am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Kris2
They announced we signed him last season too because somebody lives across the road from him and mows his lawn on weekends where he told them this exciting news....Then he signed for Cambridge.

Also he's 33 which many people whinge about on here and say they are old and past it but it's Ryan Bennett who trained in our youth system and was the best player and captain at 17 years old so nostalgia trumps age and he gets a pass on people complaining about age.

Nice to see you back with your usual negativity Kris.
What are your thoughts on Harry Clifton.  One of our own and player of the season ? Still think he only gets picked because he’s local ??
Ryan Bennet gets a pass on age, because he’s still more than capable of performing at this level.  Or do you disagree that he would be a good signing ????  
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 8, 2023, 9:53am; Reply: 4
I guess Danny Collins would be the closest similar signing. I can't remember what was said on here when he signed. Vaguely think it was mostly positive.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, June 8, 2023, 9:54am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Kris2

Think the positive comments reflect the fact that he has played most of his career at Championship level, mixed with Premiership and League One appearances. Most recently playing in League One where his club have very positive reviews of his performances and he lives in the town, what is there not to like about his possible signing?

Think we all witnessed how well an experienced Danny Collins performed in our colours and would expect similar from Ryan and the fact that he played and captained the club previously is the icing on the cake not the ingredients!
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 8, 2023, 9:59am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Kris2

If you don’t think a Premier League/Championship player gets more time and money invested in their physical fitness, long term durability than a typical L2/NL bruiser of a centre half then you’re pretty silly.

He will have been looking after himself and even if he hadn’t, his experience and knowledge would put him up there as one of the best defenders in this league alone.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 8, 2023, 10:07am; Reply: 7
Also, he played every minute of the last 21 games in Cambridge United 20/23 season.
Posted by: kevikov, June 8, 2023, 11:43am; Reply: 8
Quoted from 123614
Also, he played every minute of the last 21 games in Cambridge United 20/23 season.

Long season. Fair play to Cambridge for that effort.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 8, 2023, 11:49am; Reply: 9
Same guy who broke Rose said that Mullarkey will be announced end of week/early next week but Bennett hasn't officially signed as of yet...
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 8, 2023, 11:50am; Reply: 10
Quoted from kevikov

Long season. Fair play to Cambridge for that effort.

gotta ask yourself why they're only playing 21 games in 3 years, shocking from the EFL  ;D
Posted by: sam gy, June 8, 2023, 11:53am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I guess Danny Collins would be the closest similar signing. I can't remember what was said on here when he signed. Vaguely think it was mostly positive.

Yep, but Collins was 36 when he signed.
Posted by: Corkyefes, June 8, 2023, 12:12pm; Reply: 12
Bennett would be a massive signing for us considering he is easily still top end League One player.
I don't think we will get him personally but if we do, what a coup that is!

Signing him and Mullarkey would give us a really strong defensive for next season and that department would be complete in my opinion.

RB's - Efete and Mullarkey
CB's - Bennett, Waterfall, Maher and Mullarkey
LB's - Maher, Glennon and Amos

Posted by: Son of Cod, June 8, 2023, 12:24pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from GtfcGarner
Same guy who broke Rose said that Mullarkey will be announced end of week/early next week but Bennett hasn't officially signed as of yet...

Where have you seen that mate?
Posted by: Kris2, June 8, 2023, 12:34pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mikey_345

If you don’t think a Premier League/Championship player gets more time and money invested in their physical fitness, long term durability than a typical L2/NL bruiser of a centre half then you’re pretty silly.

He will have been looking after himself and even if he hadn’t, his experience and knowledge would put him up there as one of the best defenders in this league alone.

None of this stopped people saying "too old!" when we signed Danny Collins, though maybe he was slightly older than 33 he still came straight from the Championship the previous season. I'm sure Ryan could be 36 and people would still be happy and not mention age ever as we do with any other player not connected with us that comes in beyond age 29.
Posted by: Kris2, June 8, 2023, 12:40pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last

Nice to see you back with your usual negativity Kris.
What are your thoughts on Harry Clifton.  One of our own and player of the season ? Still think he only gets picked because he’s local ??
Ryan Bennet gets a pass on age, because he’s still more than capable of performing at this level.  Or do you disagree that he would be a good signing ????  

A set of strawman arguments that have nothing to do with anything I said which is people on here are negative about age but will give anybody previously connected to the club a pass on it. I never at any point said he wouldn't be a good signing nor did I at any point comment that Harry Clifton gets picked in the team because he's local, ever.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 8, 2023, 12:49pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Kris2

A set of strawman arguments that have nothing to do with anything I said which is people on here are negative about age but will give anybody previously connected to the club a pass on it. I never at any point said he wouldn't be a good signing nor did I at any point comment that Harry Clifton gets picked in the team because he's local, ever.

To be fair mate, Collins was a bit part player in the championship and made a handful of apperances in the prem as part of a Sunderland side that went down rock bottom with 15 points. Ryan was our youngest club captain ever at the age of 17, moved on from us to Peterborough and then spent the rest of his career in the Premier League/top of the championship as a starter. Totally different calibre of player, he's a level above Danny who I thought was very good when he signed at 36 and played 106 games for us in 3 years. Could arguably have another 3/4 years out of Ryan and he'd do it at a canter because of just how good he is.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, June 8, 2023, 12:54pm; Reply: 17
I read that as "another 34 years" and I did think that was a little bit "local lad" hyperbole
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 8, 2023, 12:59pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
I read that as "another 34 years" and I did think that was a little bit "local lad" hyperbole

He could probably play another 34 years and still be a level above Scunthorpe
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 8, 2023, 2:30pm; Reply: 19
Ryan can play for another 2 or 3 years at least at out level and above.

He will sign because he wants to and Hursty would be daft not to.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 8, 2023, 2:36pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Bennett will technically be under contract at Cambridge until 30th June after which he can start a new contract elsewhere.

Mullarkey has 2 years left on his Rochdale deal so will involve some sort of fee. That transfer could take place at any time, although his registration cannot be officially transferred until 14th June.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 8, 2023, 3:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Bennett will technically be under contract at Cambridge until 30th June after which he can start a new contract elsewhere.

Mullarkey has 2 years left on his Rochdale deal so will involve some sort of fee. That transfer could take place at any time, although his registration cannot be officially transferred until 14th June.

Mullarkey may well have a relegation release clause
Posted by: coddy60, June 8, 2023, 3:55pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from forza ivano

Mullarkey may well have a relegation release clause

Probs same amount as they got him for in Jan
Posted by: Mayaman, June 8, 2023, 6:05pm; Reply: 23
The problem with people on the FIshy is they always believe what they hear.  I have an ultra reliable source that tells me we WILL sign Bennet today - the one and only Tony Bennett on a four year deal.  He will also provide half-time entertainment.  
Posted by: Maringer, June 8, 2023, 6:24pm; Reply: 24
Given that he's 96, that's a brave signing.
Posted by: denni266, June 8, 2023, 6:27pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Maringer

Never mind his age .. Has his legs gone ???   ;D :P
Posted by: bobbyturtle, June 8, 2023, 7:38pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from denni266

Never mind his age .. Has his legs gone ???   ;D :P

Makes me think of the father Ted football game
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 8, 2023, 8:12pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer

Not if he’s’ local. Then it’s alright 😉
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 8:53pm