Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, May 26, 2023, 11:19pm
https://talksport.com/football/1437606/dwayne-johnson-southend-united-takeover/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=talksportfacebook&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1685116763
Posted by: RonMariner, May 27, 2023, 12:08am; Reply: 1
I hope this isn't true. British football clubs becoming a fashion accessory for Hollywood stars.
Posted by: DB, May 27, 2023, 6:20am; Reply: 2
O dear, it looks like a fashion trend. They only last for so long.
Posted by: Azimuth, May 27, 2023, 7:04am; Reply: 3
This was inevitable, a novelty plaything for the wealthy....until they get bored.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 27, 2023, 8:45am; Reply: 4
You'd think the scope for another documentary would be limited. Reynolds bottled a bit of lightning by being the first to the party. Lightening don't strike twice.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 27, 2023, 9:16am; Reply: 5
If we had to have A list owners, who would you like it to be?
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2023, 10:18am; Reply: 6
It doesn't matter  ðŸ¤¨

Posted by: rancido, May 27, 2023, 10:55am; Reply: 7
Quoted from RonMariner
I hope this isn't true. British football clubs becoming a fashion accessory for Hollywood stars.

The Premiersh*t quickly became a plaything for lots of 'consortiums', wealthy individuals and vanity projects - Abramovich was a prime example. It was inevitable that it would percolate down the football pyramid. I would imagine that Southend could easily emulate Wrexham and are better positioned, geographically, to achieve this.
Posted by: HerveJosse, May 27, 2023, 11:05am; Reply: 8
Inward investment in a world leading industry that results in improved facilities and the best product in the world.
I thought that was what we are aiming for.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 27, 2023, 11:17am; Reply: 9
Football is a massive global brand and stars like to be attached to global brands: it's an ego rush for them.

To buy in at the top end, you now need to be an oligarch or a country, and not even global stars have that kind of wonga, so they are getting in on the bottom rung and building from there.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 27, 2023, 12:51pm; Reply: 10
Be interesting to see how these celebrities cope with the Financial pit that is the Championship. Suddenly millions become tens of millions.
Posted by: pen penfras, May 27, 2023, 1:11pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from rancido

The Premiersh*t quickly became a plaything for lots of 'consortiums', wealthy individuals and vanity projects - Abramovich was a prime example. It was inevitable that it would percolate down the football pyramid. I would imagine that Southend could easily emulate Wrexham and are better positioned, geographically, to achieve this.

Maybe Abramovich did do it as a vanity project, but it's hard to argue he did anything but good in the grand scheme of things for Chelsea, the community and English football in general.
Posted by: Azimuth, May 27, 2023, 1:30pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Maybe Abramovich did do it as a vanity project, but it's hard to argue he did anything but good in the grand scheme of things for Chelsea, the community and English football in general.

Can you give some examples of what he did for the good of the Community and Football in General?
Posted by: thefish, May 27, 2023, 1:36pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

I’m not sure who I’d want it to be, but under the last ownership it all felt a bit David Brent!
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 27, 2023, 11:57pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
You'd think the scope for another documentary would be limited. Reynolds bottled a bit of lightning by being the first to the party. Lightening don't strike twice.

I think Michael Jackson might have disagreed with you there.
Posted by: Mayaman, May 28, 2023, 2:21pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Laurence Fishburne of course.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 5:49am