Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 14, 2023, 9:11am
Seen a few Town shirts. Already had some ( good natured) abuse.  Any other fishies running this ??

UTM
Posted by: Poojah, May 14, 2023, 9:23am; Reply: 1
I’m way too unfit currently to be running a marathon, but what an incredible guy Rob Burrow is. I’m not a great fan of any rugby code, but I would get dragged down to Headingley on a Friday night to watch Leeds Rhinos with colleagues.

I would find the whole affair an bit boring. It wasn’t really rugby league’s fault - I’ve never particularly enjoyed watching neutral football live, either. But if one bloke made it worth the entry fee, it was Rob Burrow.

No taller than 5ft 5” in his pomp, quick as a whippet, and absolutely running rings round blokes often more than a foot taller and a good 7 or 8 stone heavier. The man had balls of steel.

I don’t think I could tell you the name of any other player I watched in those games, but the name Rob Burrow always stuck in my mind for being so completely atypical for a rugby player in terms of stature and speed. Incredibly sad that he is another sportsman to have been struck down by the cruelest of diseases in MND.

Wish him and his family well.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 14, 2023, 9:59am; Reply: 2
Rob Burrow was a top class player, you have to be brave and a bit unhinged to pull on a shirt and play RL, but the battle he and his family are fighting transcends any challenge professional sport can offer.

Also a word for Kevin Sinfield, world class as a player World class as a person.
Posted by: Davec, May 14, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 3
I was at Old Trafford for the Rugby League world cup final, and when Kevin Sinfield walked out at half time, he got the biggest reception of the entire day by far and when I read out the total figure raised at that time, it was an incredible poignant moment, everybody on their feet at Old Trafford just recognising what a great bloke Kevin Sinfield is.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 14, 2023, 11:27am; Reply: 4
Step son running hope he’s got a ten top on
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 14, 2023, 4:51pm; Reply: 5
My son in law and his mate have both done it today

Not Town fans but they get my support for putting themselves through a tough training regime & to get out and bring some money in through sponsorship 👏👏
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 14, 2023, 8:51pm; Reply: 6
Kevin sinfield should be knighted rather than the likes of Stanley Johnson if the rumours are correct.  Kevin is a great human being .. Stanley is a piece of sh1t  I’d wager Stanley will be knighted in the foreseeable
Posted by: Sandford1981, May 15, 2023, 7:20am; Reply: 7
That finish absolutely broke me! What an unbelievable thing to do and what a friendship.
Posted by: MarinerWY, May 15, 2023, 10:30am; Reply: 8
Yes I ran it - what a day! Was gruelling but amazing, the crowds were incredible.

My folks were there with their town scarfs, and I appreciated the laminated Town badge stuck to a lampost in Arthington, shouted 'UP THE MARINERS' as I ran past it. Wasn't in town shirt myself as ran in my Leeds Hospitals Charity fundraising top.

The hills were tough especially the 3 mile drag coming out of Otley, but the crowds were amazing, and seeing Kev push Rob round was inspiring and emotional in equal measure and gave me huge motivation to keep going.

An incredible event for an amazing cause - people were running for all sorts of different charity's, although there is a particular push from Leeds Hospitals Charity and MND Association to build a new Motor Nuerone Disease care centre to give people with MND and their families the best possible support.

Well done to all fellow Mariners who ran it. UTM
Posted by: MrThirsty, May 15, 2023, 10:39am; Reply: 9
Well done MarinerWY, just thinking about running up the drag out of Otley makes me feel knackered! A fantastic cause
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 15, 2023, 10:50am; Reply: 10
Quoted from MarinerWY
Yes I ran it - what a day! Was gruelling but amazing, the crowds were incredible.

My folks were there with their town scarfs, and I appreciated the laminated Town badge stuck to a lampost in Arthington, shouted 'UP THE MARINERS' as I ran past it. Wasn't in town shirt myself as ran in my Leeds Hospitals Charity fundraising top.

The hills were tough especially the 3 mile drag coming out of Otley, but the crowds were amazing, and seeing Kev push Rob round was inspiring and emotional in equal measure and gave me huge motivation to keep going.

An incredible event for an amazing cause - people were running for all sorts of different charity's, although there is a particular push from Leeds Hospitals Charity and MND Association to build a new Motor Nuerone Disease care centre to give people with MND and their families the best possible support.

Well done to all fellow Mariners who ran it. UTM

That hill was a sodomist wasn’t it.  My first marathon so I can’t compare. But my two mates who’ve run a few said the public support was amazing.  I was wearing a Town top and got some good natured abuse at the start.  But all the way round it was genuinely great support.  Fair play to the Yorkies on that one.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 15, 2023, 1:35pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MrThirsty
Well done MarinerWY, just thinking about running up the drag out of Otley makes me feel knackered! A fantastic cause

The other otley run sounds a lot more up my street!!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 15, 2023, 6:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Posh Harry

The other otley run sounds a lot more up my street!!

I was just about to mention that’s the enjoyable version
Print page generated: May 21, 2024, 1:33pm