Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MarinerDevil, April 27, 2023, 3:42pm
It's been mentioned here already that John McAtee has played his last game for us but I thought I'd make a thread to thank him for his magnificent efforts during his time here. One of the most gifted players we've seen at BP in years, he plays with a real swagger and a lot of heart. Thanks and good luck, John.
https://twitter.com/johnmcatee161/status/1650995222946500613
https://twitter.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1651206208571813890?cxt=HHwWhMC9jYvToeotAAAA
Posted by: acko338, April 27, 2023, 3:45pm; Reply: 1
And if they don't want to play you straight away, then you know where you will be appreciated !!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 27, 2023, 3:46pm; Reply: 2
Thanks for your goals and all out effort JM, one of the best players seen at BP in years.  Wishing you lots of good luck for the future.  UTM!
Posted by: DB, April 27, 2023, 4:05pm; Reply: 3
Best of luck at Luton and thank you for all you have done for the Mariners.
Posted by: fishcake63, April 27, 2023, 4:09pm; Reply: 4
Best of luck john not only a great player but a nice person always had time for us fans , if it doesn't work out & i'm sure it will you will always have a home here
Posted by: chaos33, April 27, 2023, 4:44pm; Reply: 5
😔 see ya John. Thank you so much. Wish we could give you a standing ovation send off.
Good luck ❀
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 27, 2023, 4:44pm; Reply: 6
Best of luck John, stands alongside players like Ready and Hearn as one of the most exciting players we've had in the last 20 years!
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 27, 2023, 4:51pm; Reply: 7

Without John we would still be in the tinpot, great signing by Hurst.

Thanks for the memories.
Posted by: Rick12, April 27, 2023, 4:53pm; Reply: 8
Good luck John. Youve done well so far  to get a more lucrative move  . Hope you carry on achieving your dreams and playing at a high level  over a sustained period .
Posted by: gobby, April 27, 2023, 5:08pm; Reply: 9
Class above. Thank you and good luck fella. 8)
Posted by: Ashby mariner, April 27, 2023, 5:18pm; Reply: 10
Brilliant player especially last year he scored some excellent goals. If he ever lines up against us I hope he gets a warm welcome back to BP.
Posted by: Bigdog, April 27, 2023, 5:37pm; Reply: 11
Been a cracking player for us..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 27, 2023, 5:48pm; Reply: 12
Been brilliant for us on the pitch and off it too, seemed to have time for everyone and enjoyed the interactions with the supporters, I won’t forget when he filmed the supporters celebrating in the stands after the POF on his phone.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 27, 2023, 6:07pm; Reply: 13
Thanks for some brilliant memories....knuckle down and prove Luton were right go take that punt.

Posted by: Dave Gilberts Left Peg, April 27, 2023, 6:20pm; Reply: 14
Best memory has to be when he cupped his ears to the Wrexham end after that wonder goal. Best of luck John
Posted by: Garth, April 27, 2023, 6:21pm; Reply: 15
Good luck John always gave your all, you will go down as a Grimsby ace
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, April 27, 2023, 6:33pm; Reply: 16
Would be great to see him at BP for last game of the season

Brilliant send off for him

needs to be there with the rest of the team!
Will he be there ?
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 27, 2023, 6:48pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Would be great to see him at BP for last game of the season

Brilliant send off for him

needs to be there with the rest of the team!
Will he be there ?

I'm guessing wild horses won't keep him away.

Posted by: toontown, April 27, 2023, 6:56pm; Reply: 18
Brilliant, heart on the sleeve, totally committed player, that just happened to have real skill and talent too - he loved the fans and we loved him. It was a match made in heaven last season.

Loved his interaction with the fans off the pitch, standing on the terraces against Salford for example and mingling with the fans. He was hilarious at the play off victory parade.

Absolutely best of luck for him next year and he is one of those players who will always be warmly welcomed back at BP.
Posted by: Kris2, April 27, 2023, 7:00pm; Reply: 19
One of the most exciting players we've had in years, a big part of us bouncing back at the first attempt after relegation to the NL and exactly what was needed to spark the rest of the team with the desire shown.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 27, 2023, 7:39pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from toontown
Brilliant, heart on the sleeve, totally committed player, that just happened to have real skill and talent too - he loved the fans and we loved him. It was a match made in heaven last season.

Loved his interaction with the fans off the pitch, standing on the terraces against Salford for example and mingling with the fans. He was hilarious at the play off victory parade.

Absolutely best of luck for him next year and he is one of those players who will always be warmly welcomed back at BP.

Ha ha ha

I remember that video clip of him outside the town hall bottle in both hands, getting off his t1ts singing “Scunny get battered” 
 he deserved every bit of that moment.
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 27, 2023, 7:41pm; Reply: 21
I’ve been watching town since the late eighties so I’ve seen a lot of championship football, but McAtee is a legend, full f#cking stop.

I hope Luton give him a chance and he takes it.
Posted by: davmariner, April 27, 2023, 8:48pm; Reply: 22
Johnny f.ucking McAtee, what a guy. And what great memories he’s made for us.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, April 27, 2023, 9:07pm; Reply: 23
Great to read about so much support

We should also thank Scunthorpe for lack of judgement and PH for backing his.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 27, 2023, 9:28pm; Reply: 24
Good luck John , it's been a pleasure watching you.

Just try and keep your sensible head on........
Posted by: out of town, April 27, 2023, 9:35pm; Reply: 25
A player who has given us all some fantastic moments that will last a lifetime. GTFC legend
Posted by: Poojah, April 27, 2023, 10:07pm; Reply: 26
There’s a moment that sticks in my mind, a moment when I realised we’d got a proper player on our hands. It wasn’t a goal, a piece of skill, or even an assist.

It was that game under the lights against Wrexham. The night you truly realised that football was back after Covid.

With the score 1-1, the game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fĂșcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shĂ­t the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

In doing that, we conceded a goal kick. All that effort, just for that. But what it did was set the tone. It stoked the crowd. And it seriously got to Wrexham, y’know, for what wouldn’t be the last time that season.

In that moment he led from the front. His infectious swagger bleeding into his teammates. And that’s just what he did. In all the big moments last season, the moments that really mattered, he was there for us. Could we have recovered from that soft Mullin pen in the play-offs had he not responded, with the goal of the season no less, in a matter of seconds? He was our talisman. And what a fĂșcking fantastic talisman he was.  

I struggle to think of a player in my lifetime watching Town who did more for us in successive key moments than John McAtee. Kevin Donovan is the closest I can get to, and though it was at a higher level I’m still not sure his contribution was quite as significant. John McAtee pulled us out of some serious holes.

This season possibly hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations he set in 21/22, though I suspect there are plenty of mitigating circumstances. But I don’t really care; he’s given us some brilliant moments over the last two years. Astounding moments. Breathtaking ones. Some of the best of my years watching Town. Memories I will take to the grave.

Thanks John. You will forever be a Town hero. Go do yourself proud. We all know you will.
Posted by: ginnywings, April 27, 2023, 10:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Poojah
There’s a moment that sticks in my mind, a moment when I realised we’d got a proper player on our hands. It wasn’t a goal, a piece of skill, or even an assist.

It was that game under the lights against Wrexham. The night you truly realised that football was back after Covid.

With the score 1-1, the game in game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fĂșcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shĂ­t the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

In doing that, we conceded a goal kick. All that effort, just for that. But what it did was set the tone. It stoked the crowd. And it seriously got to Wrexham, y’know, for what wouldn’t be the last time that season.

In that moment he led from the front. His infectious swagger bleeding into his teammates. And that’s just what he did. In all the big moments last season, the moments that really mattered, he was there for us. Could we have recovered from that soft Mullin pen in the play-offs had he not responded, with the goal of the season no less, in a matter of seconds? He was our talisman. And what a fĂșcking fantastic talisman he was.  

I struggle to think of a player in my lifetime watching Town who did more for us in successive key moments than John McAtee. Kevin Donovan is the closest I can get to, and though it was at a higher level I’m still not sure his contribution was quite as significant. John McAtee pulled us out of some serious holes.

This season possibly hasn’t lived up to the huge expectations he set in 21/22, though I suspect there are plenty of mitigating circumstances. But I don’t really care; he’s given us some brilliant moments over the last two years. Astounding moments. Breathtaking ones. Some of the best of my years watching Town. Memories I will take to the grave.

Thanks John. You will forever be a Town hero. Go do yourself proud. We all know you will.

Another key moment was the equaliser against Solihull in the play off final. The position he was in meant he had very little to aim at and beat the keeper, while still keeping the ball inside the post. He was almost dead on his feet by then having run himself into the ground.

It was a truly great goal and turned the tide our way.

Good luck John, you will be missed.

Posted by: blundellpork, April 27, 2023, 11:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from ginnywings

Another key moment was the equaliser against Solihull in the play off final. The position he was in meant he had very little to aim at and beat the keeper, while still keeping the ball inside the post. He was almost dead on his feet by then having run himself into the ground.

It was a truly great goal and turned the tide our way.

There was never a doubt in my mind that he wouldn’t score. He was the only player i wanted to be in that position. You just knew it was going to be a goal.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, April 27, 2023, 11:38pm; Reply: 29
Sometimes a player comes along with not just talent but with a presence and an ability to lift not just the crowd but also to elevate his team mates to new levels and possibilities.

John McAtee was our Cantona, a true legend and has written himself into Mariners history.

Thank you John - I hope you go on to have the successful career that you deserve.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, April 28, 2023, 1:27am; Reply: 30
He made my (then) 5 year old son not only start watching football, but start liking Town too. He will always be my sons first football hero and because it’s a town player it’s made all the more special.

He gave us that massive spark last season to get us over the line and am sure he wouldn’t want to be singled out for praise but to say the whole squad were on it together.

Thankyou and good luck to you.
Posted by: SheepGTFC, April 28, 2023, 2:19am; Reply: 31
Big Match John. Always delivered in important games 1 way or another. We wouldn't be where we are without his contributions and thank you for them!
Posted by: aldi_01, April 28, 2023, 7:19am; Reply: 32
When he went through for the equaliser in the final, he was the only player on the park we wanted on the end and he delivered, he generally always did in that situation.

Thanks for the memories. Enjoy your career

Posted by: nedsnags, April 28, 2023, 7:51am; Reply: 33
Just like to say a big thanks John not only for what you achieved playing for us but for the inspiration and hope you gave to all the young town fans when you became there idol and they wanted to become the next “John McAtee”.Good luck and all the best for the future
Posted by: GrimRob, April 28, 2023, 9:56am; Reply: 34
So many players come and go and are soon forgotten but McAtee has written himself into the history books. Will follow his career with interest and hope he makes the transition up.
Posted by: chaos33, April 28, 2023, 10:18am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Poojah

With the score 1-1, the game in the balance, McAtee chased a ball back to their ‘keeper on an absolute hiding to nothing. But the desire of the kid. He chased that ball down like a fĂșcking man possessed, watched the ‘keeper shĂ­t the bed and flung himself in front of the ball, getting a good foot on it as it looped back towards the Osmond and out of play.

Absolutely this! I hope he reads it.
Once a Mariner, always a Mariner. Come back sometime John. You’ll always be at home in this family, and you’ll always be loved, admired and appreciated.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), April 28, 2023, 1:50pm; Reply: 36
Re John doing a lap of honour with the squad in our last game of the season, has his loan ended with us now, and if so, do you think Luton would let him attend that match?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 28, 2023, 3:30pm; Reply: 37
He stepped up at Wrexham and against Solihull - when we needed it most.

(Like Donovan at Wembley v Northampton).
Posted by: ginnywings, April 28, 2023, 3:43pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from 123614
Re John doing a lap of honour with the squad in our last game of the season, has his loan ended with us now, and if so, do you think Luton would let him attend that match?

His loan is until the end of the season. The reason he wont play for us anymore is because of injury.

Can't see why he wouldn't be allowed to attend our last game, although we don't know if he has gone back to Luton for his treatment.
Posted by: Mappers, April 28, 2023, 7:17pm; Reply: 39
Don't think he can go down as one of the legends
But definately one of the heroes

I will always remember The London Stadium and that goal , followed by a very relaxed celebration . He must have been the only one .

Thanks & good luck to Mr Mcatee
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 28, 2023, 7:27pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Mappers
Don't think he can go down as one of the legends
But definately one of the heroes

I will always remember The London Stadium and that goal , followed by a very relaxed celebration . He must have been the only one .

Thanks & good luck to Mr Mcatee

You f#cking killjoy!

And that “relaxed celebration”? Pure exhaustion, I reckon!
Posted by: Mappers, April 28, 2023, 7:49pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Heisenberg

You f#cking killjoy!

And that “relaxed celebration”? Pure exhaustion, I reckon!

Tbf he was shattered , they all were it was some effort that.

Never seen a team that I had watched a few weeks before and thought 'we are not going anywhere fast ' and was preparing for away days at York and our neighbours to then transform into some sort of  superhuman effort in both determination and performance was actually quite remarkable .

Class off 2022 you were all heroes fair play .
Posted by: Mappers, April 28, 2023, 8:00pm; Reply: 42
I will have to add -Mcatee gave me the strangely surreal yet soothing feeling when he scored that goal in the final : I 100% knew we would win when it went in , it was just meant to be somehow ; I had never really had that feeling supporting Town before.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 28, 2023, 11:12pm; Reply: 43
1 thing that hasn't been mentioned - he's now likely to be the benchmark for many a long year - joins the like of connell, mendonca, coyne, futcher, todd, disley, oster etc etc in that respect
Posted by: lukeo, April 29, 2023, 8:04am; Reply: 44
I just rewatched the final. It's made me love him even more now.
https://youtu.be/jAacmo3kTN4
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 29, 2023, 8:54am; Reply: 45
Well I hope at the Wimbledon game, since he can’t play, that at the end of the game, he walks around the ground for one final applause. It was a team effort to get us promoted, but make no mistake without McAtee, we would not have made it.
So for me, he’s welcome back anytime and I wish him all the success for the future.
Posted by: It Bites, April 29, 2023, 9:15am; Reply: 46
https://youtu.be/vVzE9cGMUYs

Hard to watch this with out getting emotional...

Thanks for everything John , 🙏💟🙏💟
Posted by: ginnywings, April 29, 2023, 1:17pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
Well I hope at the Wimbledon game, since he can’t play, that at the end of the game, he walks around the ground for one final applause. It was a team effort to get us promoted, but make no mistake without McAtee, we would not have made it.
So for me, he’s welcome back anytime and I wish him all the success for the future.

Will he be able to walk around the pitch?

Bound to be the end of season pitch invasion when the final whistle goes.
Posted by: DB, April 29, 2023, 1:29pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings

Will he be able to walk around the pitch?

Bound to be the end of season pitch invasion when the final whistle goes.

He could walk round at Half Time.

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, April 29, 2023, 2:14pm; Reply: 49
Legend status is way over the top for a player who had a good season in Non-league, yet failed to prove himself at League 2. I will hold him in the same regard as I do for any of the squad that got us promoted and as has moved on.

Good luck to the lad
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 29, 2023, 10:58pm; Reply: 50
Good luck to him with his future, he has been an absolute hero and stalwart for us, but i reckon if Luton get promoted to the Premiership that he will never play a game for them as they will have to buy even better players to compete.
He would be shipped out on loan and quite possibly sold to the first bidder.
Posted by: Mayaman, April 30, 2023, 1:42am; Reply: 51
As long as you are not lining up against us, John, I'm sure all us Town fans will be wishing you well.  Let's hope we hear your name a lot. Good luck.
Posted by: rancido, April 30, 2023, 7:56pm; Reply: 52
Good luck to him with his future, he has been an absolute hero and stalwart for us, but i reckon if Luton get promoted to the Premiership that he will never play a game for them as they will have to buy even better players to compete.
He would be shipped out on loan and quite possibly sold to the first bidder.

Totally agree. I like JM but don't see him as a Premiersh"t player. Thank you John for an amazing period in our clubs history.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 14, 2023, 2:23pm; Reply: 53
A stand out player in that unforgettable fortnight. Stunning performance at Wrexham. That goal. That cross for the third goal. Absolute quality.

In an interview he said he could feel his calf going as he ran onto the ball to score the equaliser which is why he couldn't run to the crowd to celebrate.

Thank you John. You are a legend. Hope you go on to greater things.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 14, 2023, 2:37pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from It Bites
https://youtu.be/vVzE9cGMUYs

Hard to watch this with out getting emotional...

Thanks for everything John , 🙏💟🙏💟

Promised my self I wouldn't cry....again.

Sod it. Gushing like a geezer.

Can anything ever match that?
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 14, 2023, 3:13pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from RonMariner

Promised my self I wouldn't cry....again.

Sod it. Gushing like a geezer.

Can anything ever match that?

Gold star from me.

Proper cheered my afternoon up 👍
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 14, 2023, 3:14pm; Reply: 56
When push came to shuff, John was there.
Posted by: The Caterham Mariner, May 14, 2023, 6:47pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from DB
Best of luck at Luton and thank you for all you have done for the Mariners.

I echo that ... you for me  would be welcome anytime
Along side Omar Bogle   .." Brothers in Black & White !" could
Take the world on IMO
UTM2023-- 24.

Posted by: scott, May 14, 2023, 7:06pm; Reply: 58
Good luck to the lad. Will never forget his contribution.
Print page generated: May 20, 2024, 11:36pm