Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TAGG, March 28, 2023, 6:55pm
https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cleethorpestown/news/club-statement--nathan-arnold-2770385.html
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 28, 2023, 6:59pm; Reply: 1
He’ll be off to Spurs
Posted by: It Bites, March 28, 2023, 7:14pm; Reply: 2
Shocked ..... Not
Posted by: Yoda, March 28, 2023, 7:20pm; Reply: 3
Good they where awful worst football in years at Clee Town.
Posted by: aldi_01, March 28, 2023, 7:36pm; Reply: 4
Didn’t even know they were there…assumed they’d stayed in the professional game…
Posted by: toontown, March 28, 2023, 10:41pm; Reply: 5
Didn't get long did they
Posted by: HerveJosse, March 28, 2023, 10:48pm; Reply: 6
Clee Town had been on an upward trend for 5 years before they arrrived knocking on automatic promotion door  then hardly won a game in three months under their tenure. Great shame but well done in recognising it’s not working and moving on. Well run club with good support.
Posted by: BlackandWhiteBarmy2, March 29, 2023, 6:49pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from HerveJosse
Clee Town had been on an upward trend for 5 years before they arrrived knocking on automatic promotion door  then hardly won a game in three months under their tenure. Great shame but well done in recognising it’s not working and moving on. Well run club with good support.

Maybe, just maybe, they'd reached their peak. The thing about upward trajectories is they are invariably followed by a downward trajectory. Anyway intercourse 'em.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 29, 2023, 9:01pm; Reply: 8

Maybe, just maybe, they'd reached their peak. The thing about upward trajectories is they are invariably followed by a downward trajectory. Anyway intercourse 'em.

I think you could be right perhaps it’s gone as far as it can go. Grimsby boro are out performing them on a very low budget which I’d assume is nothing like clees ,s budget
Posted by: aldi_01, March 29, 2023, 9:08pm; Reply: 9
My understanding is that Clee Town had seen some serious investment and were/are paying some decent wages, may be not enough to live on but certainly more than enough to supplement other salaries etc.

As you say, perhaps it’s reached its peak. I remember when there were times people made silly comments about them catching up GTFC when we first dropped out the league. It’s no secret how badly run GTFC were but we were never in danger of being caught up by a very expensive Sunday league team.

Fair play, they do loads of stuff for kids and they get some interest, it’s not for me but I don’t begrudge them anything. I guess even at that level, managers come and go…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 29, 2023, 10:47pm; Reply: 10
I thought Arnold would be a disaster, someone claimed that he was 30 minutes late for his first training session on Twitter!

I think Clee are trying too hard to involve ex Town players to boost their gates, McKeown apparently earns a reasonable full-time wage for playing at Clee and on recent evidence, he's a downgrade on the keeper he replaced.

I think they have plateaued, the next league up is a huge step that would require even more money throwing at it.
Posted by: Mappers, March 29, 2023, 11:46pm; Reply: 11
How many leagues between them and Scunny ?
Posted by: rancido, March 31, 2023, 9:14am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mappers
How many leagues between them and Scunny ?

There will be one less at the end of the season 😉
Posted by: ska face, March 31, 2023, 9:26am; Reply: 13
Form’s gone through the floor since McKeown signed. Suppose they’re lucky they’re further away from the drop zone than Finn Harps were
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 31, 2023, 9:40am; Reply: 14
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think Clee are trying too hard to involve ex Town players to boost their gates, McKeown apparently earns a reasonable full-time wage for playing at Clee and on recent evidence, he's a downgrade on the keeper he replaced.

Josh Gowling their next manager?

Posted by: Kris2, March 31, 2023, 1:07pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I thought Arnold would be a disaster, someone claimed that he was 30 minutes late for his first training session on Twitter!

I think they have plateaued, the next league up is a huge step that would require even more money throwing at it.

That's probably the issue. They need to make positive signings and not grab any former town player still living nearby that they can get in the hope somebody will pay to see them. Arnold is not in any state of mind to have a job in the game and McKeown plays like he's not that bothered anymore getting lobbed from the centre circle by some part timer on half his wages while McKeown stands there watching. If they are ready to spend money then they need a re-think on where that money is best spent in the squad. Start by bringing in a proper coaching team.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, March 31, 2023, 2:17pm; Reply: 16
Watched them at Lincoln United and thought they were very poor and was very surprised when not long after they replaced their keeper as he was on the night one of their better players. Also saw Grimsby Borough down at Ashby Avenue and they looked very decent, much better organised and some very good individuals, including Essel.
Posted by: Mallyner, March 31, 2023, 2:18pm; Reply: 17
Reading this about Diz, made me think in a half awake moment in the night, about one of the best headed goals I have seen at Blundell Park.

And I was at the game where Matt Tees scored his brilliant one against Exeter? A photo of which from memory is somewhere in the Findus stand.

A cross was powered in from the right; and Diz leapt like a salmon; just inside the opponents area; and fore headed a brilliant goal at the Pontoon end.

in more recent seasons, I thought JMD scored a brilliant one too.
Print page generated: May 9, 2024, 11:15pm