Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheFryingSquad, March 18, 2023, 6:19pm
Hi fellow fishes.  Not going to the game because I’m 41 years exiled so had no chance of a ticket. Pretty sure I’m not alone but the emotional wreckage started pretty much straight after work last night. Had a beer or 5 to try and calm the nerves but didn’t work, was wide awake at 3am trying to solve the problems of the world and thinking about the game.  Decided to increase the recreational (alcohol) medicine tonight but suspect a repeat is on the cards.  The dogs love it, a turd at 3am, what an adventure.

Trying to be realistic and accept we have no realistic chance, but I can’t, I just can’t.  No way can I watch the game expecting to lose, I’m a lower league football fan, take away my dreams and there’s nothing left.  

We won’t embarrass ourselves whatever, that’s my consolation if the unthinkable happens.

Come on Town, you can do this, you really can.
Posted by: ginnywings, March 18, 2023, 6:45pm; Reply: 1
I'm not nervous at all. We realistically have no chance, so why worry?

If we are a goal up in the last 10 minutes however.....
Posted by: Grimsby2012, March 18, 2023, 7:32pm; Reply: 2
I ran the figures through ai Chatgpt. It says the only way we will win is if we have more goals tjan them at the final whistle.
Posted by: bawarmy, March 18, 2023, 8:08pm; Reply: 3
We have absolutely no chance of winning. Just like the Southampton game .
Posted by: Chalky, March 18, 2023, 8:13pm; Reply: 4
I don't seem to remember Grimsby being bothered about being the underdogs at the end of last season so just enjoy the day and see what happens
Posted by: mariner91, March 18, 2023, 8:17pm; Reply: 5
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0x7vL2T90[/url]
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 18, 2023, 8:43pm; Reply: 6
We won`t take as bad a pasting as Burnley. I guarantee it.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 18, 2023, 8:50pm; Reply: 7
We have frequently won when we were the underdogs.  There has to be reasons for this impressive success.
Posted by: LH, March 18, 2023, 9:05pm; Reply: 8
5% chance of winning I reckon. The lads will put in their absolute all like any Hurst team would. It’s 11 v 11 and there’s 4600 Town there. There’s a very slim chance, but that’s still a chance. Up the bloody Mariners!
Posted by: Poojah, March 18, 2023, 10:08pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH
5% chance of winning I reckon. The lads will put in their absolute all like any Hurst team would. It’s 11 v 11 and there’s 4600 Town there. There’s a very slim chance, but that’s still a chance. Up the bloody Mariners!

My gut has said, almost precisely since the draw was made, that it won’t be a 11 v 11 for very long. We shall soon see.
Posted by: buckstown, March 19, 2023, 8:08am; Reply: 10
At what point does it go from a great fun day out to a bit of a nightmare? Or do we just soak it up whatever?
Burnley shipped 6 against city and they're virtually a premier league team so just hope I'm not hiding behind the sofa for the last 20 minutes!!
UTM
Posted by: HerveJosse, March 19, 2023, 8:12am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

My gut has said, almost precisely since the draw was made, that it won’t be a 11 v 11 for very long. We shall soon see.

Is McAllister getting sent off?
Posted by: lukeo, March 19, 2023, 8:17am; Reply: 12
No nerves here. 28/1 in the bookies says it all. I'd put us at a 1% chance of winning. I'm going to the game with no expectations and just hope the boys put in a shift to their best abilities.
Beautiful sunny morning here in Eastbourne
Posted by: wigworld, March 19, 2023, 8:56am; Reply: 13
Quoted from LH
5% chance of winning I reckon.

Same. But I thought this about Luton and Southampton as well.

Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, March 19, 2023, 9:28am; Reply: 14
0925 and already had 2 sh*ts.
Posted by: Spurn boy, March 19, 2023, 9:39am; Reply: 15
Quoted from lukeo
No nerves here. 28/1 in the bookies says it all. I'd put us at a 1% chance of winning. I'm going to the game with no expectations and just hope the boys put in a shift to their best abilities.
Beautiful sunny morning here in Eastbourne

Today’s game is one to enjoy for all town fans whatever the result , compared to the nerves before and during the play off final which was a such a crucial game to win for so many reasons I am just going to enjoy watching town today with as you say ,no expectations. UTM
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, March 19, 2023, 9:39am; Reply: 16

Groß.

What sort of consistency? VAR or two big, solid dunks?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 19, 2023, 9:57am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Spurn boy

Today’s game is one to enjoy for all town fans whatever the result , compared to the nerves before and during the play off final which was a such a crucial game to win for so many reasons I am just going to enjoy watching town today with as you say ,no expectations. UTM

That's what I have been thinking all week but now it's here I keep thinking what if, can we do it etc. and nerves kicking in now
Posted by: lukeo, March 19, 2023, 10:00am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Spurn boy

I was nervous at Southampton because I genuinely felt we had a chance. Today I don't. Let's enjoy it. The sun is out. The mariners are in town.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 19, 2023, 10:08am; Reply: 19
It's all part of the fun, allowing nerves to slip in with that tiniest bit of hope that we may be able to win it. Realistically I don't think we stand a chance, but that won't stop me getting nervous.
Posted by: Mayaman, March 19, 2023, 10:38am; Reply: 20
Been pretty mellow through all the rounds, but now I've been swept away with all the positivity.   Head says we will lose but my heart is being stubborn.  Now, I can't sit still.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 19, 2023, 11:03am; Reply: 21
I’m so nervous I literally started shaking thinking about the game this morning so god knows how the players are feeling 🤣
Come on Town!
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 19, 2023, 11:27am; Reply: 22

I do that every day, so I can’t tell if today is any different or not!
Posted by: Rick12, March 19, 2023, 11:38am; Reply: 23
I remember reading when Wrexham beat Arsenal in the FA Cup. Big news. Odds are stacked against a win for Grimsby but there's always a small chance.
Posted by: Mayaman, March 19, 2023, 11:47am; Reply: 24
A mate who hates football messaged me about it:  " First time since 1939, I hope that's not an omen of impending world war".  
Posted by: scrumble, March 19, 2023, 1:11pm; Reply: 25
We went to Anfield, against the then League Cup holders, with out a hope of a win. We went to enjoy the atmosphere of the occasion, and look how that turned out.

To paraphrase Terry Pratchett "Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually happening are millions to one. But the Mariners have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”
Print page generated: May 10, 2024, 12:33am