Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Poojah, February 8, 2023, 11:00am
Well, we’ve started 16 different players in the last three games, and all have been outstanding. How the hell do you pick 11 from the following?

Crocombe
Efete
Waterfall
Maher
Smith
Amos
Glennon
Emmanuel
Clifton
Holohan
Hunt
Green
Morris
McAtee
Lloyd
Orsi

Somehow, you have to lose at least 5. I believe these are called nice problems, but problems nonetheless…
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2023, 11:02am; Reply: 1
Harsh as it sounds, I'd go back to the team from Saturday. You can't leave Emmanuel out and Lloyd managed to work with McAtee to bring about his best performance of the season. Seems so harsh on Smith and particularly Danilo.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2023, 11:02am; Reply: 2
That is one hell of a match day squad for L2!!
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 8, 2023, 11:04am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Mariner_09
Harsh as it sounds, I'd go back to the team from Saturday. You can't leave Emmanuel out and Lloyd managed to work with McAtee to bring about his best performance of the season. Seems so harsh on Smith and particularly Danilo.

Agreed. The same team again would be too negative for a league 2 game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our Luton lineup at Southampton. Almost like we have a league 2 lineup and a cup lineup.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2023, 11:05am; Reply: 4
I'm trying to think when we last had a squad with this depth. Better than 2016 isn't it? Which takes us back to early 2000's? Maybe the Slade squad that made the 2006 playoffs?
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2023, 11:05am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mariner93er

Agreed. The same team again would be too negative for a league 2 game, but I wouldn't be surprised to see our Luton lineup at Southampton. Almost like we have a league 2 lineup and a cup lineup.

I wonder if he will judge McAtee too much of a luxury against a PL side? I bet Emmanuel plays against Soton though.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 8, 2023, 11:06am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Poojah
Well, we’ve started 16 different players in the last three games, and all have been outstanding. How the hell do you pick 11 from the following?

Crocombe
Efete
Waterfall
Maher
Smith
Amos
Glennon
Emmanuel
Clifton
Holohan
Hunt
Green
Morris
McAtee
Lloyd
Orsi

Somehow, you have to lose at least 5. I believe these are called nice problems, but problems nonetheless…

Scannell, Pearson & Khori

Plus

Khan
Taylor
&
Cropper

to return from injury as well
Posted by: gtfc_chris, February 8, 2023, 11:12am; Reply: 7
GK - Crocombe
DC - Smith
DC - Waterfall
DC - Maher
RWB - Emmanuel
LWB - Amos
CM - Clifton
CM - Hunt
CM/AMC - Holohan
ST - Orsi
ST - Lloyd

Sub 1 - Efete
Sub 2 - Glennon
Sub 3 - Morris
Sub 4 - Green (if fit) / Dickson-Peters
Sub 5 - McAtee
Sub 6 - Scannell
Sub 7 - O'Neill

Hard to pick but I think this would be my pick. Morris unlucky to be missing out, as is Green but with him looking like he took a knock I'm leaving him out. Much as we know McAtee can be a talent, I don't think he's hit the heights of last season and often looks like he's playing to his own tune. I think for this one he comes on if we need that more risky approach to grab a goal. Also, granted Lloyd is also on loan too but we need to plan for the next season. If Lloyd can perform and is a possible permanent signing in the summer then makes sense to try and learn/prove this during the season.

As you say, nice problem to have!
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 8, 2023, 11:22am; Reply: 8
Tough selection. The key issues for me are...

Orsi or Lloyd?
2 of Hunt, Morris, Green (if fit) or Gav?
Maher, Smith or Efete?

I'd maybe go with this but we've looked so good over the last few matches that any combo of those 16 in Poojah's opening post will do...

GK: Crocombe
RWB: Emmanuel
CB: Smith
CB: Waterfall
CB: Maher
LWB: Amos
CM: Morris
CM: Hunt
CM: Clifton
FWD: McAtee
FWD: Orsi
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 8, 2023, 11:36am; Reply: 9
Don't think I've got the brain power to pick the XI for Saturday, too many options.  

But I'd expect something like a return to the Crewe side, as others have stated the sides for the Luton games aren't ones we would get away with in the league.  Different prospect altogether.  

Orsi ran himself into the ground, which may make Hurst's decision a little easier.  Lloyd and McAtee linked up so well so keen to see them get another outing together.  Efete was brilliant last night but as was the pairing of him and Emmanuel down that right, that then leaves one of the back 3 to drop out.

Absolutely no idea in midfield.  Clifton doesn't get dropped.  But then Green, Holohan, Hunt and Morris have all performed excellently of late with only two other slots to fill.

Other than Clifton, I think the only nailed on starter is Crocombe.  Perhaps Waterfall as your captain too.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 8, 2023, 11:39am; Reply: 10
I think Orsi will be back on the bench and the team that played at Crewe will be something nearer to the starting 11 than last night.

Playing against League 2 bruisers is a different proposition.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2023, 11:48am; Reply: 11
Quoted from diehardmariner
Don't think I've got the brain power to pick the XI for Saturday, too many options.  

But I'd expect something like a return to the Crewe side, as others have stated the sides for the Luton games aren't ones we would get away with in the league.  Different prospect altogether.  

Orsi ran himself into the ground, which may make Hurst's decision a little easier.  Lloyd and McAtee linked up so well so keen to see them get another outing together.  Efete was brilliant last night but as was the pairing of him and Emmanuel down that right, that then leaves one of the back 3 to drop out.

Absolutely no idea in midfield.  Clifton doesn't get dropped.  But then Green, Holohan, Hunt and Morris have all performed excellently of late with only two other slots to fill.

Other than Clifton, I think the only nailed on starter is Crocombe.  Perhaps Waterfall as your captain too.

I'd be pretty surprised if McAtee didn't start on Saturday. Think Waterfall is more likely than Clifton in all honesty, he always plays. I'd also say Michee will play, question is where?
Posted by: Corkyefes, February 8, 2023, 11:54am; Reply: 12
I would go for this.... attack minded but also good cover and an abundance of energy.
Saturday is a completely winnable game for me.

Bench of Battersby, Smith, Hunt, Efete, O'Neil, Morris
Posted by: Poojah, February 8, 2023, 11:55am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mariner_09

I'd be pretty surprised if McAtee didn't start on Saturday. Think Waterfall is more likely than Clifton in all honesty, he always plays. I'd also say Michee will play, question is where?

The advantage that McAtee, Lloyd and Emmanuel all have us that they weren’t involved in last night’s ding-dong battle. That, I suspect gets them the nod with Orsi (who ran himself into the ground), Efete (played in all last three games) and Green (likely injured) probably the ones to make way through absolutely no fault of their own.

Having thought about it, I expect we’ll see this:

Crocombe

Smith  Waterfall  Maher

Emmanuel  Morris  Holohan  Clifton  Glennon

McAtee  Lloyd

Glennon and Amos are interchangeable really, but Glennon will have the fresher legs. You could also make an argument for Hunt instead of Holohan or Morris depending on how they’ve recovered, but I’d be surprised to see a major departure form this.

How good is our record with three at the back this season? Hurst says he doesn’t like it in general, but is clearly seeing the value in it regardless.
Posted by: buckstown, February 8, 2023, 11:58am; Reply: 14
It'll be a brave man that dumps the 5 at the back line up. Think PH has found the golden chalice
Posted by: Marinerdan, February 8, 2023, 12:08pm; Reply: 15
I guess this is where the Data Analyst earns his keep.

It would be useful to know what type of goals opponents concede/score and plan our team to exploit it. Even things like what average goals conceded/scored against different formations could come into play.

Only downside is in this league teams can completely change at different points of the season.  
Posted by: HerveJosse, February 8, 2023, 12:14pm; Reply: 16
In addition to being very harsh on Orsi it would also be very Harsh on Smith if we return to the Crewe line up as he was outstanding last night .Harsh as it is I think it has to be as we will need to be on the front foot in home League games . Colchester have won there last three away games so this is going to be far from easy.
Posted by: IrishMariner, February 8, 2023, 12:45pm; Reply: 17
I’m shocked by the amount of people leaving Efete out of their teams!

Not saying he gets in ahead of Emmanuel, but why can’t he be deployed at RCB like he was last Saturday? The player we knew he could become is finally surfacing; I can’t see how he could be benched besides the possible need for a rest.
Posted by: DB, February 8, 2023, 1:00pm; Reply: 18
I'm pleased I'm not a 48 year old 5ft 5in retired left back from Rotherham. He's got one hell of a job on his hands to decide who to drop for Saturday.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 8, 2023, 2:38pm; Reply: 19
Can't see us being to different from the Crewe game to be honest - dependant on any specifics we've noted with how they play or injuries.

Some seem to be dropping Efete very quickly and far too easily for me. He had an outstanding game away at Luton and slotted in nicely at Crewe.

What we get with playing him right of a three is he pushes quite wide when we have the ball and gets up to support Emmanuel, almost turning us into a more conventional back 4 with the ball. Think there is a very good reason most our attacks, and most our joy seemed to come down the right on Saturday (from memory admittedly). He also has the pace to get back in to the defensive shape quickly and also get us out of trouble with two slower centre backs.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2023, 2:42pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Mikey_345
Can't see us being to different from the Crewe game to be honest - dependant on any specifics we've noted with how they play or injuries.

Some seem to be dropping Efete very quickly and far too easily for me. He had an outstanding game away at Luton and slotted in nicely at Crewe.

What we get with playing him right of a three is he pushes quite wide when we have the ball and gets up to support Emmanuel, almost turning us into a more conventional back 4 with the ball. Think there is a very good reason most our attacks, and most our joy seemed to come down the right on Saturday (from memory admittedly). He also has the pace to get back in to the defensive shape quickly and also get us out of trouble with two slower centre backs.

He won't drop Michee. After Crocombe and maybe Clifton, doubt anyone's played as much as him this season.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 8, 2023, 2:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mariner_09

He won't drop Michee. After Crocombe and maybe Clifton, doubt anyone's played as much as him this season.

Most of that is out of necessity though with no other fit right backs. However his form has picked up from earlier in the season, which had become worrying. Full credit thought for seemingly turning that around, don't think he deserves bringing out of the team - especially when in the 3/5 he gives us something different.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 8, 2023, 3:23pm; Reply: 22
Orsi, Efete, Emmanuel and McAtee will start on Saturday..

As for the midfield.. Clifton will start.. god knows who the other two will be..
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 8, 2023, 3:33pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bigdog
Orsi, Efete, Emmanuel and McAtee will start on Saturday..

As for the midfield.. Clifton will start.. god knows who the other two will be..

I don't think Danilo will play on Saturday, he was absolutely spent and McAtee/Lloyd looked to have a good partnership already.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 8, 2023, 3:50pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mariner_09

I don't think Danilo will play on Saturday, he was absolutely spent and McAtee/Lloyd looked to have a good partnership already.

Orsi would have started at Crewe if we didn't have the cup game, and easier conversation to have with young loanee than one of our permanent signings who's been patiently waiting for his chance. Four day gap between matches.. no-brainer, Hurst picks Orsi.
Posted by: Stew0_0, February 8, 2023, 3:50pm; Reply: 25
                             Crocombe

Efete.      Waterfall.    Maher
Emmanuel                                             Amos

Clifton        Holahan.      Morris

McAtee
                                         Lloyd

Going back to pretty much team against Crewe, as last night would have taken a lot out of Orsi, Green picked up a rib injury and Amos playing better than Glennon atm. Will be harsh on Smith but liking the look of Emmanuel at wing back with Efete behind, especially as we need to be taking the game to Colchester and be on the front foot.
Showing now we have some strength in depth now

UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2023, 4:08pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from DB
I'm pleased I'm not a 48 year old 5ft 5in retired left back from Rotherham. He's got one hell of a job on his hands to decide who to drop for Saturday.

A problem of his own  making though, he signed these players!
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 8, 2023, 4:13pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from IrishMariner

Not saying he gets in ahead of Emmanuel, but why can’t he be deployed at RCB like he was last Saturday?

I can think of three reasons...
Posted by: acko338, February 8, 2023, 6:00pm; Reply: 28
I can see the back 5 staying with the wing backs in place.

McAtee and Lloyd should be a fresher pair up front, give Orsi a rest !

Emmanuel alongside Efete was really effective, as long as Efete has no kick back from his clash of heads.

However if Smith gets the nod, no problem !

Midfield - only one person knows how he wants them to line up !

And the transfer window was apparently rubbish....just on here ???

Wouldn't it be great if all of the newbies really stormed it to the season end, and keep Hurst thinking with a huge selection problem every week ???

Especially with the amount of catch up games to come in swift succession !!
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 2:51pm