Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2023, 10:45pm
I think it's nearly half a million earnt as a result of tonight's stunning win .  
£120,000 prize money
£55,000 40% of 7000+ crowd
£120,000 ITV 4 coverage (think someone said that's the fee)
£160,00 40% of Southampton crowd, based on 20,000 gate

and that's in addition to the near half million we've made from all the cup comps already this season.

think 1878 may need to be re evaluating their plans/schedules!

PS - as my mate messaged me -  20 years of Fenty - 0 football fortune , 20 months of 1878...........
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 7, 2023, 10:47pm; Reply: 1
football fortune's like buses...but where the drivers have been on strike for 20 years
Posted by: LH, February 7, 2023, 10:49pm; Reply: 2
It’s not about the money for me. I want triangle corner flags and Dynamo Kyiv away in Europa League qualifying!
Posted by: Davec, February 7, 2023, 10:57pm; Reply: 3
Is there still the 200k pot available to the lowest rank team who progresses the furthest? If so you can add that 200k to it!
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 7, 2023, 11:05pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Davec
Is there still the 200k pot available to the lowest rank team who progresses the furthest? If so you can add that 200k to it!

How do they figure that out ....a championship  club loses in final could be classed as lowest left in the Cup

Tonight non league wrxhm went out  but 2nd division Town went through are we lowest left

Next round we go out Fleetwood go through are they lowest

Genuine question
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2023, 11:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Davec

think Golly explained it and it's actually 250k??
Posted by: Marinerdan, February 7, 2023, 11:10pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Brazilnut

How do they figure that out ....a championship  club loses in final could be classed as lowest left in the Cup

Tonight non league wrxhm went out  but 2nd division Town went through are we lowest left

Next round we go out Fleetwood go through are they lowest

Genuine question

I think there was 250k for the team in each league (outside the Prem) who got the furthest. Not sure if it was an EFL thing so it may not include Wrexham.
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 7, 2023, 11:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Marinerdan

I think there was 250k for the team in each league (outside the Prem) who got the furthest. Not sure if it was an EFL thing so it may not include Wrexham.

Thank you that makes sense.........up until this run I had never heard of this bonus
Posted by: RonMariner, February 7, 2023, 11:36pm; Reply: 8
So far we have earned £333k in prize money. We get £75k for the Tv coverage of the Southampton game. So that’s £408k guaranteed. Then their are gate receipts from the fist five games. In total them must have been 30,000 tickets sold so I am guessing that’s about £600k of which we get some percentage, maybe 40%? If so then that would be another £240k. So now we are up to £648k. Then there will a share of the Southampton gate, maybe another £160k.

So that’s £880k. If this thing about the last lower league side prize is true then we are making over. Million quid!!!

That’s all guesswork. I am sure the better informed posters will be able to provide a more accurate estimate.

But hey, what a fantastic boost to the finances!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 7, 2023, 11:37pm; Reply: 9
Oh look. Even Shania has been following Town
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 7, 2023, 11:58pm; Reply: 10
£41,000 - R1 Prize Money
£67,000 - R2 Prize Money
£105,000 - R3 Prize Money
£50,000 - R3 Overseas TV Fee
£120,000 - R4 Prize Money
£250,000 - L2 Progress Prize
£125,000 - R5 UK TV Fee

£758,000 - TOTAL (so far)

And that’s just money from the FA Cup Prize & TV fund.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2023, 11:59pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from RonMariner
So far we have earned £333k in prize money. We get £75k for the Tv coverage of the Southampton game. So that’s £408k guaranteed. Then their are gate receipts from the fist five games. In total them must have been 30,000 tickets sold so I am guessing that’s about £600k of which we get some percentage, maybe 40%? If so then that would be another £240k. So now we are up to £648k. Then there will a share of the Southampton gate, maybe another £160k.

So that’s £880k. If this thing about the last lower league side prize is true then we are making over. Million quid!!!

That’s all guesswork. I am sure the better informed posters will be able to provide a more accurate estimate.

£125,000 for the tv coverage
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2023, 12:02am; Reply: 12
Quoted from GollyGTFC
£41,000 - R1 Prize Money
£67,000 - R2 Prize Money
£125,000 - R5 UK TV Fee

So with gate receipts from 6 matched to add we are well over the million!! happy days indeed!!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 8, 2023, 12:05am; Reply: 13
Quoted from GollyGTFC
£41,000 - R1 Prize Money
£67,000 - R2 Prize Money
£125,000 - R5 UK TV Fee

We would have got something for the overseas coverage tonight too...

Is the League 2 Progress Fund still happening? I can see reference to it from 2019 and 2020 but nothing since.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 8, 2023, 12:06am; Reply: 14
Quoted from RonMariner

So with gate receipts from 6 matched to add we are well over the million!! happy days indeed!!

Beat Southampton and it’s another £225,000 (Round 5 Prize Money) and £200,000 (Round 6 TV Fee).
Posted by: Biccys, February 8, 2023, 12:16am; Reply: 15
Looking at the progress Lincoln made after their cup windfall at Arsenal, this could be a huge step in our progress. Being able to invest in the club as a whole, not just the first team is an absolute must for the future of the club and as much as we're indebted to the new owners for their input,this is a huge chunk of money that will keep the club in a healthy place for years!
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 8, 2023, 12:18am; Reply: 16
PS - as my mate messaged me -  20 years of Fenty - 0 football fortune , 20 months of 1878...........[/quote]

Interesting isn’t it? Fenty used to talk a lot about football fortune, basically saying he would release the purse strings when it arrived. But it never did.
1878 talk about hard work, teamwork, sustainability and building a community club, and what do they get? Football fortune.
Sure, there’s a lot of luck involved, but the fundamental difference is that Fenty saw luck as an input - i.e we need the football fortune before we can invest.
I’m pretty sure that 1878 see luck as an outcome of doing the right things, and so far they’re getting it.

Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2023, 12:27am; Reply: 17
Quoted from AussieMariner
PS - as my mate messaged me -  20 years of Fenty - 0 football fortune , 20 months of 1878...........

Interesting isn’t it? Fenty used to talk a lot about football fortune, basically saying he would release the purse strings when it arrived. But it never did.
1878 talk about hard work, teamwork, sustainability and building a community club, and what do they get? Football fortune.
Sure, there’s a lot of luck involved, but the fundamental difference is that Fenty saw luck as an input - i.e we need the football fortune before we can invest.
I’m pretty sure that 1878 see luck as an outcome of doing the right things, and so far they’re getting it.

[/quote]

the old saying - the harder I work, the luckier I get.

the idea of inveesting for the future was nevr in JSF's lexicon - in  fact I doubt he'd undertsand the word lexicon  :D >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 8, 2023, 12:37am; Reply: 18
Quoted from AussieMariner

[/quote]

Similar to Gary Player (I think it was him anyway) who said the more I practice the luckier I get.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 8, 2023, 12:41am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Similar to Gary Player (I think it was him anyway) who said the more I practice the luckier I get.[/quote]

with 1878 I think it's also pertinent to consider the Brailsford quote re British cycling - in order to improve things 100% you need to imprive 100 things by 1% , and to an extent that's what they've done - small, incremental improvements. Nothing spectacular , but it all adds up. and this coverage and this money will only acclerate the ability to make these changes at a quicker pace

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 8, 2023, 12:43am; Reply: 20
Quoted from forza ivano

Similar to Gary Player (I think it was him anyway) who said the more I practice the luckier I get.

with 1878 I think it's also pertinent to consider the Brailsford quote re British cycling - in order to improve things 100% you need to imprive 100 things by 1% , and to an extent that's what they've done - small, incremental improvements. Nothing spectacular , but it all adds up. and this coverage and this money will only acclerate the ability to make these changes at a quicker pace

[/quote]

You’re right. That’s a quote I use a lot when I’m teaching CI. It’s very true too.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 8, 2023, 3:32am; Reply: 21
Quoted from RonMariner

Each club involved in these televised fifth round ties will receive £125,000 in addition to any payment from the competition’s prize fund.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 8, 2023, 6:40am; Reply: 22
Should put all the money towards the new training ground imho, when's the next time we are gonna get a £1m windfall (we'll maybe when we sell Clifton to a championship club 😉).
Posted by: exiledmeggie, February 8, 2023, 6:55am; Reply: 23
Forget the TV money, we’re only four games away from playing in Europe!
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 8, 2023, 7:17am; Reply: 24
When has a great cup run got you anywhere
Posted by: Meza, February 8, 2023, 7:32am; Reply: 25
Taken from FA Cup website if we can beat Southampton that'll be 225,000 but look hoe much it goes up from qtrs.  The FA have to update this how long has it been like this 30 years has the prize money ever been increased??

First round proper winners     (40)     £41,000
Second round proper winners     (20)     £67,000
Third round proper winners     (32)     £105,000
Fourth round proper winners      (16)      £120,000
Fifth round proper winners     (8.)     £225,000
Quarter-final winners     (4)     £450,000
Semi-final winners     (2)     £1,000,000
Semi-final losers     (2)     £500,000
Final runners-up     (1)     £1,000,000
Final winners     (1)     £2,000,000
Posted by: RonMariner, February 8, 2023, 9:00am; Reply: 26
Yes, but when did a million quid windfall ever get you 3 points on a Saturday…..😀
Posted by: buckstown, February 8, 2023, 9:11am; Reply: 27
I can't see any reference to "progress payments" or bonuses for last league two team. All they list is the round by round winners prizes. (which will do very nicely thank you)
Anyone seen any concrete facts regarding this?
Posted by: Marinerdan, February 8, 2023, 9:36am; Reply: 28
Quoted from buckstown
I can't see any reference to "progress payments" or bonuses for last league two team. All they list is the round by round winners prizes. (which will do very nicely thank you)
Anyone seen any concrete facts regarding this?

The only thing I can find is this from the EFL. It’s from 2019 though so I’m not sure if it’s still being paid or if it’s been scrapped.

[url]https://www.efl.com/news/2019/march/efl-clubs-benefit-from-fa-cup-progress-prize/[/url]
Posted by: DaleH, February 8, 2023, 9:39am; Reply: 29
From the first round to the 5th round, including the TV money we are going to receive for the Southampton game, we have earned income of £458,000. This does not include any revenue received from gate receipts both home and away.

In terms of what the gate receipt money looks like, that is essentially an equal share of the total ticket sales for each match, less VAT, less the travelling expenses of the Visiting Club (possibly accommodation depending on travelling distance rules), less the fees and expenses of the Match Officials, and less other match expenses allowed under the competition rules.  Expenses which include costs relating to gate attendants, turnstile operators, stewards, police charges, and floodlighting costs.

So all very positive stuff, aside from the uncertainty relating to the share of ticket sales less VAT and costs. I remember walking to the Luton game at Kenilworth Road and thinking to myself that the huge number of Police in attendance must have cost Luton Town a fortune. It isn't inconceivable that a highly policed fixture like that one might actually end up with zero money being paid to the visitors, because the costs might actually drive the fixture into a near breakeven or loss. I'd love to know. The rules though are very clear, that whilst the gate receipt profits are shared equally, if the fixture ends up as a net loss, then it is the home team that has to carry that loss.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 8, 2023, 9:40am; Reply: 30
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We would have got something for the overseas coverage tonight too...

Is the League 2 Progress Fund still happening? I can see reference to it from 2019 and 2020 but nothing since.

There was no overseas coverage for Town v Luton.

Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 8, 2023, 9:45am; Reply: 31
Quoted from DaleH
From the first round to the 5th round, including the TV money we are going to receive for the Southampton game, we have earned income of £458,000. This does not include any revenue received from gate receipts both home and away.

In terms of what the gate receipt money looks like, that is essentially an equal share of the total ticket sales for each match, less VAT, less the travelling expenses of the Visiting Club (possibly accommodation depending on travelling distance rules), less the fees and expenses of the Match Officials, and less other match expenses allowed under the competition rules.  Expenses which include costs relating to gate attendants, turnstile operators, stewards, police charges, and floodlighting costs.

So all very positive stuff, aside from the uncertainty relating to the share of ticket sales less VAT and costs. I remember walking to the Luton game at Kenilworth Road and thinking to myself that the huge number of Police in attendance must have cost Luton Town a fortune. It isn't inconceivable that a highly policed fixture like that one might actually end up with zero money being paid to the visitors, because the costs might actually drive the fixture into a near breakeven or loss. I'd love to know. The rules though are very clear, that whilst the gate receipt profits are shared equally, if the fixture ends up as a net loss, then it is the home team that has to carry that loss.

We got overseas TV money for the Burton game and last night too.

I can't see any evidence to suggest the Progress Fund that Golly says we've got is still being dished out. If it is then great but I'm not so certain that it is.
Posted by: OddShapedBalls, February 8, 2023, 9:47am; Reply: 32
Quoted from LH
It’s not about the money for me. I want triangle corner flags and Dynamo Kyiv away in Europa League qualifying!

Benfica won't be up for a cold Thursday night game in spitting distance of the north sea.  We can take these foreign chancers!

Just think of the talent we'll be able to attract if we can promise European football too..........right, that's enough daydreaming. Back to reality  :B
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 8, 2023, 9:49am; Reply: 33
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I can't see any evidence to suggest the Progress Fund that Golly says we've got is still being dished out. If it is then great but I'm not so certain that it is.

No we didn't, there was no live feed from BP last night.

Posted by: DaleH, February 8, 2023, 10:00am; Reply: 34
Luton Town were permitted to £2,292.48 for coach travel last night, and that is then deducted as one of the expenses before calculating the the net gate receipt profits  :)

Their hotel accommodation at Forest Pines would not be an allowable expense to them, as they could have travelled on the day, between the permitted travel times, and would could have still arrived 90 minutes before the kick off.

Hey look guys n gals, whilst it is interesting to understand the in's and out's of FA Cup finances, the simple fact remains that we have made a nice tidy sum so far, but more importantly, we have enjoyed a fabulous FA Cup journey. If we go out in the next round, I think we can all agree that The FA Cup has made this a terrific and enjoyable season.
Posted by: DaleH, February 8, 2023, 10:03am; Reply: 35
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

Benfica won't be up for a cold Thursday night game in spitting distance of the north sea.  We can take these foreign chancers!

My under 10's only lost 1-0 to Benfica in a fixture at the Keepmoat Stadium in Doncaster a number of years ago.. True story.

The Benfica team included Luís Boa Morte's son, and he was enjoying the tournament, sat amongst our parents in the stand. A very memorable day out for the kids at the Keepmoat Cup.

Posted by: Brazilnut, February 8, 2023, 11:52am; Reply: 36
Caught the first 2 minutes of a Jason interview on burnsy show RH ......... 1st question  was something like "what does last night's result mean to a club like Grimsby " .......... answer was means we won't lose as much money this year...

It was like Jason was reigning us in and saying we aren't sitting on a pot of transfer money
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 8, 2023, 12:04pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from DaleH

I might be wrong but I'm almost sure the police can only charge for officers actually inside the stadium which is why there has been such a huge increase in private security and stewards over the years.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, February 8, 2023, 12:18pm; Reply: 38
There's some really interesting stuff in here. Can Someone confirm this for me...

Travelling expenses for a visiting club come out of gate receipts?

So effectively we've paid for Luton to visit us and they paid for us to visit them?

I assume there's some kind of cap or control so that when Man U visit Dorking they don't cripple the club by having 50 people staying at the Dorking Ritz for a week?
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 8, 2023, 12:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Brazilnut
Caught the first 2 minutes of a Jason interview on burnsy show RH ......... 1st question  was something like "what does last night's result mean to a club like Grimsby " .......... answer was means we won't lose as much money this year...

It was like Jason was reigning us in and saying we aren't sitting on a pot of transfer money

What time was he on?
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 8, 2023, 1:03pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Brazilnut

Yeah I’m sure it’s a question that will come up at the forum but JS has mentioned a few times during interviews that he and Andrew were injecting some further money into the club. Given the increased income we’ve had this season be interesting to learn what this money has been spent on. We will probably have an answer by the end of the week.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 8, 2023, 1:39pm; Reply: 41
Yeah I'd definitely be interested to see the breakdown of what we're spending and losing.

This must be a record breaking year for income, even going back to the days of ITV Digital income.  From the outside looking in we haven't broke the bank on wages and there's only Hunt who we've paid any money for.  That should be massively offset by increased gates (season ticket or walk-up), transfers and cup income.  

I know there's stuff that's happened with the pitch and other bits of investment but just genuinely curious as to where it will have all gone if we're talking still about making a loss this year.
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 8, 2023, 1:47pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mikey_345

What time was he on?

Not sure  10.20 1025ish
Posted by: HerveJosse, February 8, 2023, 3:32pm; Reply: 43
The figure quoted by Jason as being on the line for the win and the figures quoted earlier in this thread are a long way apart. I wonder who is correct.
Posted by: ska face, February 8, 2023, 3:36pm; Reply: 44
Have 1 (one) day off, I beg you.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, February 8, 2023, 4:27pm; Reply: 45
Have people ever thought that JS doesn't want people to know that we currently have a bit of extra cash; as soon as agents/clubs know you have extra, they want their share of it and more. He's probably down playing what we have to stop being rinsed in the transfer / wages department in the summer.
Posted by: grimps, February 8, 2023, 4:36pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah I'd definitely be interested to see the breakdown of what we're spending and losing.

This must be a record breaking year for income, even going back to the days of ITV Digital income.  From the outside looking in we haven't broke the bank on wages and there's only Hunt who we've paid any money for.  That should be massively offset by increased gates (season ticket or walk-up), transfers and cup income.  

I know there's stuff that's happened with the pitch and other bits of investment but just genuinely curious as to where it will have all gone if we're talking still about making a loss this year.

Well if the club hasn’t made a few Bob this season I doubt it ever will
Posted by: aldi_01, February 8, 2023, 4:42pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from HerveJosse
The figure quoted by Jason as being on the line for the win and the figures quoted earlier in this thread are a long way apart. I wonder who is correct.

Either way, it’s not £200k of stolen money…
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 8, 2023, 5:40pm; Reply: 48
Money has probably gone on all the new staff we are employing, the extra cost of being a living wage employer and the general facilities improvements seen around the stadium and training ground.

Probably all adds up to a considerable sum.  Just another indication of the need for the new income  streams a new stadium  can generate.
Posted by: rancido, February 8, 2023, 6:09pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from diehardmariner

I'm sure I recall JS saying, when he and AP took over the club, that they anticipated making a loss for a few seasons because of all the things that needed doing to the ground and club to make it fit for purpose. There was also the need to pay off The Leech to consider. Obviously promotion, sales of players and this cup run will have helped to off-set those losses.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 8, 2023, 7:37pm; Reply: 50
We have had two seasons now of exceptional football fortune. That has allowed us to pay off that male masturbator earlier than expected and now start some serious structural stuff. Can only be good news even if it means losing a good bit less than planned.
Posted by: hheh2, February 8, 2023, 8:10pm; Reply: 51
Seems like a turning point for the club tbh, we got real owners that actually care about the club will put money on improved training facilities similar to the Lincoln upscale? That’s what we need to emulate
Posted by: supertown, February 8, 2023, 8:22pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from forza ivano

He did say it but he wasnt the originator of it.
Posted by: supertown, February 8, 2023, 8:40pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Neither can I , doesn’t look like it exists
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 5:31am