Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 26, 2023, 7:37pm
Sacked by Wigan after just 2 months in charge.

I know they are in free fall but that seems very quick if it’s based just on results.

Edit: 1 point in last 6 and knocked out the fa cup
Posted by: Sigone, January 26, 2023, 7:41pm; Reply: 1
How dare they sack him he's "a beautiful human being"
Posted by: quebec38, January 26, 2023, 8:18pm; Reply: 2
He has made a stinking start to life as a football manager. 3 draws and 6 defeats in his first 9 games I think it is. Having said that, I can’t get on board with sacking someone after 59 days. Surely the board should have some conviction in their decision making ie thinking he was capable in the first place? Terrible all round really.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 26, 2023, 8:24pm; Reply: 3
Have Wigan got a decent striker we can nic?
Posted by: MarinerRob, January 26, 2023, 8:25pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from quebec38
I can’t get on board with sacking someone after 59 days.

He lasted longer than Brian Clough at Leeds. That was 44 days. https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/in-44-days-clough-ruined-the-club-brian-clough-versus-don-revie-john-giles-1363975

About the same time as Liz Truss was in charge.

Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, January 27, 2023, 9:59am; Reply: 5
Quoted from quebec38
He has made a stinking start to life as a football manager. 3 draws and 6 defeats in his first 9 games I think it is. Having said that, I can’t get on board with sacking someone after 59 days. Surely the board should have some conviction in their decision making ie thinking he was capable in the first place? Terrible all round really.

They'd also given him a three and a half year contract.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 27, 2023, 2:16pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MarinerRob

He lasted longer than Brian Clough at Leeds. That was 44 days. https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/in-44-days-clough-ruined-the-club-brian-clough-versus-don-revie-john-giles-1363975

About the same time as Liz Truss was in charge.

In charge.... good one  😂😂
Posted by: moosey_club, January 27, 2023, 6:06pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

They'd also given him a three and a half year contract.

Clearly a smart guy then, 3.5 yrs pay for a couple of months work.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 27, 2023, 6:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from moosey_club

Clearly a smart guy then, 3.5 yrs pay for a couple of months work.

He won't get the whole contract paid up. There will be a break clause in there stating terms of how much he's paid in the event of being sacked.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 27, 2023, 6:24pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from pen penfras

He won't get the whole contract paid up. There will be a break clause in there stating terms of how much he's paid in the event of being sacked.

There was famously a clause in Moyes United contract that meant it would cost 12 months salary to get rid of him if United failed to qualify for the Champions League, so they waited until the day after it was mathematically impossible to fire him.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 27, 2023, 6:28pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There was famously a clause in Moyes United contract that meant it would cost 12 months salary to get rid of him if United failed to qualify for the Champions League, so they waited until the day after it was mathematically impossible to fire him.

Never heard of that, but 12 months is a pretty large one. I think at the top it's totally different, but down at this level it's usually smaller like a couple of months.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 27, 2023, 6:29pm; Reply: 11
Rumour has it the Wigan board told Kolo they wanted to reduce costs and have a slimmed down squad, so Kolo took it literally and started handing out his wife’s diet pills again.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 27, 2023, 6:43pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Still.....
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 1:16am