Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 25, 2023, 10:54am
Former groundsman Frank Bridge recently passed away.

https://gtfc.co.uk/remembering-frank-bridge/

RIP Frank. I'm sure there'll be a few lawns to mow up there!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 25, 2023, 11:01am; Reply: 1
Fantastic bloke!

As a young Town fan in the early 90's I used to collect autographs after every game, both Town and the away teams. Largely I was the only one doing so at the time.

When Town drew Spurs in the cup in '91, outside the away changing room was absolutely jam packed with people wanting a scribble from their superstars, none more so than that of Gary Lineker.

Frank, walking round the back of the Main Stand and seeing me standing no chance amongst the bigger lads, marched me through the swarms of people announcing "EXCUSE ME, NO... EXCUSE ME! MR LINEKER, THIS YOUNG MAN IS HERE EVERY OTHER WEEK. I BELIEVE YOU'LL BE SIGNING HIS BOOK FIRST!"

My emotions were a mixture of joy and embarrassment, but even at the age of 7, I couldn't help draw a wry smile at the sight of the England captain meekly acknowledge the demand and dot his signature on my trusty old autograph book.

Thank you, Frank. Godspeed.
Posted by: Mallyner, January 25, 2023, 11:04am; Reply: 2
RIP Frank.

A lovely man, who I often used to see in Waltham, after he retired and he was a big Mariner's supporter; and we used to have some great chats and reminisces.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 25, 2023, 11:08am; Reply: 3
Sad news. Was only talking about him the other day.
Posted by: DB, January 25, 2023, 11:37am; Reply: 4
Very sad news, RIP
Posted by: wuffing, January 25, 2023, 11:52am; Reply: 5
RIP Frank...
Posted by: Spurn boy, January 25, 2023, 5:24pm; Reply: 6
Always on at half time in a pair of wellies and a carrying a fork to try and repair the Blundell Park pitch or beach depending what time of year it was . RIP Frank
Posted by: It Bites, January 25, 2023, 5:36pm; Reply: 7
Rip Frank
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 25, 2023, 5:56pm; Reply: 8
Spoke to him a few times, I heard this a few days ago but didn't want to say until it had been officially announced.

Sad news.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 25, 2023, 6:40pm; Reply: 9
RIP Frank and thank you for all your years of service.
Posted by: Andy, January 25, 2023, 7:16pm; Reply: 10
In the later years of his life would often see Frank on match day. He was always happy to chat and reminise. A true gent. RIP.
Posted by: Perkins, January 25, 2023, 7:24pm; Reply: 11
Lovely man. RIP Frank
Posted by: Eastendmariner, January 25, 2023, 7:43pm; Reply: 12
He was a lovely man part of the set up so to speak RIP Frank and Thank you
Posted by: GrimRob, January 25, 2023, 10:39pm; Reply: 13
The pitch was a testament to his ability. It must have been a labour of love. I hope he has chosen to have his ashes scattered on it.
Posted by: barralad, January 26, 2023, 8:34am; Reply: 14
I first met Frank in the 70s when he was on the fund raising committee for the Jumbulance which some Fishyites will remember was a specially adapted bus which enabled very seriously ill people to go on holiday. It was testament in part to his dedication that Grimsby was chosen as a place to keep one of the Jumbulances above much bigger population centres. Not many "backroom" staff anywhere get a testimonial but Frank did-a true reflection of the respect there was for him at GTFC.
R.I.P. Frank.
Posted by: Garth, January 26, 2023, 9:15am; Reply: 15
A legend at BP, thanks Frank RIP
Posted by: RonMariner, January 26, 2023, 2:42pm; Reply: 16
Sad news.

RIP.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 26, 2023, 11:09pm; Reply: 17
Rip frank
Who was the testimonial against anyone I honestly can’t remember
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 27, 2023, 10:12am; Reply: 18
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Rip frank