Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, December 6, 2022, 3:02pm
Have we got any fit fullbacks for Saturday.

Anyone know how Efete is?
Posted by: Mariner_09, December 6, 2022, 3:06pm; Reply: 1
Glennon was supposed to be out for 2 weeks, and it will be 3 weeks on Saturday since Hursty said that. Cropper is still weeks away. From the start of the season when I'd have said full backs are our strongest area of the pitch, we now look pretty stretched. Rather than playing Maher out of position again, I'd play a back three and play Harry at RWB, even though that's him out of position as well.
Posted by: chaos33, December 6, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 2
Thought Hurst mentioned that Glennon would be back in contention this weekend but not 100% sure without checking back on the interviews. Can’t remember what’s up with Danny A. Smith could play full back. So could Harry. Hunt or Morris can come into midfield in his place.
Update on Efete is due this Thursday.
Posted by: Mariner_09, December 6, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from chaos33
Thought Hurst mentioned that Glennon would be back in contention this weekend but not 100% sure without checking back on the interviews. Can’t remember what’s up with Danny A. Smith could play full back. So could Harry. Hunt or Morris can come into midfield in his place.

Amos was mysteriously missing from the teamsheet on Saturday, a typical bit of Hursty not being completely transparent.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, December 6, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 4

Amos hurt his back in the last game, and didn't train til thurs, he must have been the doubt mentioned in thursdays interview.

Hurst didn't want to tip of the opponents that both our left backs were missing.

Via a combination of twitter and radio humbs, sometimes even thisisgrimsby, all the info is out there if you look for it......
Posted by: toontown, December 6, 2022, 5:54pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from chaos33

We don't want smith playing full back, hes good at CB but really not at RB.

Clifton for me but I think Hurst likes the opportunity to get the extra height in by having someone taller I think. He does sometimes select players based on height maybe its cos he's so short lol. I remember in his first spell he specifically said he chose a particular central midfielder over another for a game due to his height.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 6, 2022, 6:36pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33

Rather not have Smith at Full back, If we dont have a fit RB put harry there, and as you say, Hunt or Morris into the middle
Posted by: Abdul19, December 6, 2022, 6:37pm; Reply: 7
Smith playing right back at Wrexham reminded me of Steven Watt playing there (but with nicer hair).
Posted by: Mariner_09, December 6, 2022, 6:50pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Abdul19
Smith playing right back at Wrexham reminded me of Steven Watt playing there (but with nicer hair).

McFadzean (I think ?) tore him a new one.

Likewise, we were 1-0 up against Solihull at home until Michee went off injured, then Sbarra but at least one of the balls in for the goals with Smith at RB. It was at that point Hursty signed Cropper as he must’ve thought “we can’t be doing with this, losing a top centre half for this level and having him look like Bambi on Ice at RB”.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 8, 2022, 11:20am; Reply: 9
If both Efete and Cropper were to be unavailable, it's only Clifton for me in that role.  Debut aside, Smith looked awful when playing in that position. To the point a lot of people thought he was a poor player until he got his second chance in his preferred position.

Maher did ok but he's definitely not a fullback.  On the other side, again if Glennon and Amos aren't available it's limited options.  Khouri gets stuck in but he's not a natural fullback and whilst I rate him highly, I thought his distribution from there was poor.

If we go 3 at the back, presuming all four full-backs are unavailable, that still leaves only Clifton and Khouri to cover the wingback roles and also means that if any of the back 3 or wingbacks get injured we've literally no-one to cover them.

Didn't a couple of Orient fans say Khan played a fair few games for them at right-back?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 8, 2022, 11:32am; Reply: 10
Quoted from diehardmariner
If both Efete and Cropper were to be unavailable, it's only Clifton for me in that role.  Debut aside, Smith looked awful when playing in that position. To the point a lot of people thought he was a poor player until he got his second chance in his preferred position.

Maher did ok but he's definitely not a fullback.  On the other side, again if Glennon and Amos aren't available it's limited options.  Khouri gets stuck in but he's not a natural fullback and whilst I rate him highly, I thought his distribution from there was poor.

If we go 3 at the back, presuming all four full-backs are unavailable, that still leaves only Clifton and Khouri to cover the wingback roles and also means that if any of the back 3 or wingbacks get injured we've literally no-one to cover them.

Didn't a couple of Orient fans say Khan played a fair few games for them at right-back?

Khan has played a lot of games as a RWB at this level. He's come here to be an attacker but in an injury crisis, it's a capable option. My preference would be to have Clifton at RB/RWB but if Glennon and Amos are out, Clifton would be the best option there for me with Khan on the right.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, December 8, 2022, 2:01pm; Reply: 11
Khan played a game at wingback a few weeks ago and it was a waste of time 😬
Posted by: Rick12, December 9, 2022, 9:24am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mariner_09
play Harry at RWB, even though that's him out of position as well.
The lads doing well this season by all accounts. I bought a copy of the Grimsby evening telegraph in November and they were doing a rating of Grimsbys players who played 5 or more times for Town this season .  After 16 league games Harry Clifton was top of the pile with a mark of 8.5 out of 10.

Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 12:15am