Holohan
Khouri
Simmonds

Khan
Orsi

Subs

Pardington, Pearson,Green. Clifton, McAtee, Kiernan, Richardson
Posted by: forza ivano, November 22, 2022, 6:48pm; Reply: 1
strong team - are Accy Stan equally strong?
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 2
Hurst did say he treats both this cup and FA the same, but for different reasons. Papas because he thinks we have a good chance to get to a cup final, and the FA because win against Cambridge and we might get a big club away in the next round.

So he's going out for a win, that said there is no Waterfall on the bench to join McAtee, Clifton etc. I wonder if Waterfall has picked up a knock or injury?
Posted by: ska face, November 22, 2022, 7:09pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano
strong team - are Accy Stan equally strong?

3 changes including no.1 keeper back in. Touray Sisay on the bench.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), November 22, 2022, 7:31pm; Reply: 4
Anyone else having problems with Mariners TV?
Posted by: chaos33, November 22, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 5
Says I can’t watch it - it’s ‘unavailable’ even though I’m a subscriber.
Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from chaos33
Says I can’t watch it - it’s ‘unavailable’ even though I’m a subscriber.

Have you got a video pass/subscription? It's a separate product.

I've got an international video pass and working fine from me from 'France'
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 22, 2022, 7:49pm; Reply: 7
Pitch starting to look really poor. Would be questioning the value of the investment into it especially as we have the winter months to come.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from chipsandgravy
Pitch starting to look really poor. Would be questioning the value of the investment into it especially as we have the winter months to come.

It’s rained. A lot.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 22, 2022, 7:54pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s rained. A lot.

Yes understand that but part of the investment was to improve drainage.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2022, 7:54pm; Reply: 10

Aye, flipping useless illegitimates, didn’t think about buying the weather…
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 11

Yes understand that but part of the investment was to improve drainage.

Because of the very dry summer, the water table is still very low and, if the ground is compacted, it’s not so easy for water to soak through so the drainage isn’t as effective. Several golf courses are struggling at the moment too.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, November 22, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 12
Surprised you can see the grass with the dimness of the floodlights :)
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 22, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Because of the very dry summer, the water table is still very low and, if the ground is compacted, it’s not so easy for water to soak through so the drainage isn’t as effective. Several golf courses are struggling at the moment too.

Fair enough!
Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 8:15pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Makes a change from it being too bright for the camera during the day!
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 22, 2022, 8:18pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Far better than they used to be.

Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 8:19pm; Reply: 16
0-0 at half time and we matched them overall for the half. Max made a few brilliant saves to keep us in it, so it's all to play for. I was looking for a better performance from Morris but he seems no better than he did on Saturday.
Posted by: ginnywings, November 22, 2022, 8:30pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from DB
0-0 at half time and we matched them overall for the half. Max made a few brilliant saves to keep us in it, so it's all to play for. I was looking for a better performance from Morris but he seems no better than he did on Saturday.

"Max made a few brilliant saves to keep us in it" doesn't sound like we matched them.
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from ginnywings

"Max made a few brilliant saves to keep us in it" doesn't sound like we matched them.

They're L1 and we're newly promoted from the NL and still finding our feet in L2, which is why I think we are matching them at halftime 0 - o.

Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 8:49pm; Reply: 19
4 subs before the 70th minute. Hurst must have had his Wheatabix!
Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 20
Sake. Didn't this happen last match? Subs on then a couple minutes later a goal.
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 21
Morris is having a crap game, now gives away a peno. 1 -0 down thanks to Morris.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 22, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from BenBB
Sake. Didn't this happen last match? Subs on then a couple minutes later a penalty/goal.

Who cares? Rather it happen in this competition
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 8:53pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from DB
Morris is having a crap game, now gives away a peno. 1 -0 down thanks to Morris.

Because, of course, you seem to like a scapegoat.
Posted by: Garth, November 22, 2022, 8:55pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I agree Morris is crap
Posted by: Chrisblor, November 22, 2022, 8:57pm; Reply: 25
Morris was comfortably one of our better performers at the start of the season but he's really not been up to it since coming back from injury.
Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 8:57pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Hagrid

Who cares? Rather it happen in this competition

Rather win it. At least we're allowed to watch this competition online .
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 8:59pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Garth

I agree Morris is crap

If he’s played like he played on Saturday, I suspect it’s because our front players are so devoid of movement off the ball. There were times against Stevenage and more so against Doncaster when we literally didn’t have anyone to pass to.
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Firstly if you care to read my half time post I said Morris was poor then as he was against Stevenage and secondly as you state I like scapegoats please find another post from me, since I've been on here, that suggests the same. I don't go for scapegoats, nor do I do unnecessary criticism.

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 22, 2022, 9:03pm; Reply: 29
the bloke that shouldve been sent off wins the pen!!!!!
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Chrisblor
Morris was comfortably one of our better performers at the start of the season but he's really not been up to it since coming back from injury.

That is what I mean, his performances have just not been up to his early standard.

Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 9:07pm; Reply: 31
Gate 703 with 25 visitors
Posted by: moosey_club, November 22, 2022, 9:20pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from DB
Gate 703 with 25 visitors

That's more like it.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, November 22, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 33
Decent Games from Crocombe, Amos, Maher and Holohan.
Below par: Morris, Simmons.
Introduction of Kieran, Richardson and MacAtee brought us a much needed spark up front but often took the wrong options.
Onto Saturday.
Posted by: lukeo, November 22, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 34
I'd like to see Richardson, mcatee and kieran all start on Saturday.
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 9:26pm; Reply: 35
Only a penalty to them between us, so onward to Saturday and a victory.
Posted by: Badger57, November 22, 2022, 9:26pm; Reply: 36
Well beaten by a decent Accrington side. Unfortunately we are so slow, laboured and predictable in the final third we are really going to struggle unless we have a good January window.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 9:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Badger57
Well beaten by a decent Accrington side. Unfortunately we are so slow, laboured and predictable in the final third we are really going to struggle unless we have a good January window.

This. Our movement and work without the ball is appalling. You can tell our coaches are all defenders.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 22, 2022, 9:30pm; Reply: 38
Seen some bloke on Twitter calling Efete saying he was awful again.

He really is the whipping boy atm, did nothing wrong tonight at all. Morris very poor which is a shame as i thought start of the season he was excellent, smith and maher looked okay, simmonds tried.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 22, 2022, 9:30pm; Reply: 39
Just not good enough as no support from midfield for the strikers, sticking an attacking midfielder who prefers being on the left at right wing back a pointless excercise. Why not Pearson in the middle and Efete at wing back. Improved with subs and chasing the game near the end but partly looked better as they had stopped their high press. If there is a high press why dont we push forward and play longer picking up the 2nd balls. As for Morris don't get me started. Never laid a glove on them for 80 mins, I know they are a league higher but we are so negative all the time.  :(
Posted by: Croxton, November 22, 2022, 9:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from DB

That is what I mean, his performances have just not been up to his early standard.

He's way off. The only point of keeping him on was to give him 90 minutes. It certainly reduced our chances of a result so why risk McAtee? Bryn's body language looked poor too.  MOTM , Maher shared with Max.

How did Harry score 5 goals? Again, why put him on with a tough away game coming up?

Green on for Morris and Richardson on earlier might have been better than three changes at once.
Posted by: BenBB, November 22, 2022, 9:34pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from MuddyWaters

This. Our movement and work without the ball is appalling. You can tell our coaches are all defenders.

Fed up with us lumping the ball to no-man's land, passes with too much power, head tennis and constant sloppy passes. Frustrating to watch.

What's the solution?
Posted by: bobbyturtle, November 22, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 42
thoughts on Khouri? put his foot in when needed. All great experience for him
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 22, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from BenBB

Fed up with us lumping the ball to no-man's land, passes with too much power, head tennis and constant sloppy passes. Frustrating to watch.

What's the solution?

I’m afraid it’s the lack of a focal point ie. Ryan Taylor. We’ve been coached to play one way and seem not to have a Plan B without him.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, November 22, 2022, 9:41pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Personally not a great fan of having two wide players in the front three as I think they each get too isolated particularly the guy chosen to play down the middle. Given most sides appears to have some big crunching defenders you have to be very good technically all the time to get the upper hand and that’s difficult one your own.

That said even after the substitutes came on there were at least four goal scoring opportunities with Clifton not hitting the target with two of them Maher coming close to scoring and another one blocked on the line.

Maher looks a very decent player and think is worth a game or two now maybe giving Smith a short break and I would be recalling Hunt for Morris and give the lad a decent run of games along with a few others as think we need to have a settled eleven to get some increased coordination and understanding going which hopefully will help us get a few improved results.
Posted by: DB, November 22, 2022, 9:42pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from bobbyturtle
thoughts on Khouri? put his foot in when needed. All great experience for him

I thought Khouri did very well, given he's had little game time. I'd certainly give him a start against Cambridge.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, November 22, 2022, 9:44pm; Reply: 46
Hurst thinks Accrington had 2 or 3 half chances ;D
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 22, 2022, 9:55pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Personally not a great fan of having two wide players in the front three as I think they each get too isolated particularly the guy chosen to play down the middle. Given most sides appears to have some big crunching defenders you have to be very good technically all the time to get the upper hand and that’s difficult one your own.

That said even after the substitutes came on there were at least four goal scoring opportunities with Clifton not hitting the target with two of them Maher coming close to scoring and another one blocked on the line.

Maher looks a very decent player and think is worth a game or two now maybe giving Smith a short break and I would be recalling Hunt for Morris and give the lad a decent run of games along with a few others as think we need to have a settled eleven to get some increased coordination and understanding going which hopefully will help us get a few improved results.

Barring injuries the keeper and defence are settled but the rest is basically anybody's guess.

Chopping and changing every game is doing nobody any good. The trouble is bar McAtee the midfield and forwards are all equally average so we just keep ringing the changes to no discernable effect.

I just hope we don't have another churn of players in January,  swapping one lot for another and instead try to get a couple in which are obviously better than we have.
Posted by: aldi_01, November 22, 2022, 10:07pm; Reply: 48
Is anyone really arsed?
Posted by: Croxton, November 22, 2022, 10:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Hurst thinks Accrington had 2 or 3 half chances ;D

Really? They missed a hatful! Plus Max saved at least three. Does Hurst think we aren't watching?

Let's be honest, the cups don't matter when our league form is poor. Stabilising our place in midtable until January is the priority. Tonight again showed that we lack midfield craft, pace and natural scoring instincts.

Taylor is not the silver bullet any more. The sooner we become harder to beat, the better. Just hope we can keep Maher, Waterfall, Smith. Hollohan, Efete, Clifton , Amos and Crocombe fit.
Posted by: arryarryarry, November 22, 2022, 10:16pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from DB
Only a penalty to them between us, so onward to Saturday and a victory.

Not exactly, Crocombe and some poor finishing stood between them.

We couldn't have complained if they scored 6
Posted by: promotion plaice, November 22, 2022, 11:10pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from DB

Minor blip, we move on.

Posted by: lukeo, November 23, 2022, 5:02am; Reply: 52
Only caught the game from 35mins onwards... from what I saw Max was motm and Efete 2nd. Got up the line well and pushed forward when needed, won a few defensive headers aswell.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, November 23, 2022, 6:52am; Reply: 53
Quoted from aldi_01
Is anyone really arsed?

Yep. We look toothless, haven’t got decent attacking options and have only won once in the league at home all season.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, November 23, 2022, 6:57am; Reply: 54
I have to give an honest appraisal, our confidence at home is shot!...
Morris, for all his early promise seems to have lost his mojo, Holohan was effective first half and slipped away second half.
Got to say, Maher looks a player, reads the game very well and rather than waiting for the ball he anticipated and cleared with some good headers.
Orsi showed glimpses of being capable and definitely has something about him, do think if he's given the service there's a goal scorer in there.
All in all, I'm not convinced itz Hurst setting up too defensively at home, I think the players are struggling to get it going and just pondering too long on the ball which stifles our attacks and slows progressing up the pitch.
Posted by: easypeersy, November 23, 2022, 7:04am; Reply: 55
I used to love this cup before it became a pandering to the Premier League event.
Such a shame.
Posted by: cannylad65, November 23, 2022, 7:32am; Reply: 56
All the forwards are too lightweight.

We need someone to hustle and bustle and cause problems.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 23, 2022, 7:42am; Reply: 57
Listened to PH match interview. Echos what a lot of us think, just too slow with the build up. Clearly he isnt telling them to do that
Posted by: ginnywings, November 23, 2022, 8:09am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Hagrid
Listened to PH match interview. Echos what a lot of us think, just too slow with the build up. Clearly he isnt telling them to do that

He's the manager and it's not the first time he has said as much. It's his job to sort it, yet we look slow and toothless in almost every game.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 23, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 59
Quoted from Hagrid

There isn't anybody forward to pass to! They are all doing as they are told and tracking back all the time handing all the momentum to the opposition.
Posted by: Hagrid, November 23, 2022, 9:16am; Reply: 60

There isn't anybody forward to pass to! They are all doing as they are told and tracking back all the time handing all the momentum to the opposition.

listen to the interview, he isnt telling them to do that......
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 23, 2022, 9:31am; Reply: 61
Quoted from lukeo
Only caught the game from 35mins onwards... from what I saw Max was motm and Efete 2nd. Got up the line well and pushed forward when needed, won a few defensive headers aswell.

I thought efete looked poor again. Some very wayward passing and control. Which is a shame because before the last week, he was really doing well.

I still can’t understand how the ref didnt send their player (whalley?) off for that awful challenge. It was as if he made the decision straight away and didn’t give himself time to think.

I’d like to see Richardson get a bit more game time. He has that bit about him where he has the confidence and ability to go at defenders.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, November 23, 2022, 10:24am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Hagrid

listen to the interview, he isnt telling them to do that......

He talks about getting forward and being more positive. That is a different thing from having players in advanced enough positions to pass to.

We have to try to create a move from well within our own half a lot of the time when we pick the ball up; being more "positive and getting forward" from such defensive positions is very difficult.

We have got to try to strike a balance between defending as a team, whilst not having to try to construct a move from 70 yards from goal. When it comes off it looks fantastic but the chance of the move breaking down is very high.

We don't create anywhere near enough chances and score very few goals so obviously it is a major problem that needs sorting. He was sounding very irritated with his players so perhaps that might instigate some harsh words in the dressing room to instigate a response.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 4:54am