Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: tintowner, October 3, 2022, 3:49pm
I know this doesn't concern us anymore but there is a few interesting looking ties.

South Shields v Scunthorpe United

Anstey Nomads v Chesterfield

Notts County v Coalville Town

Blyth Spartans v Wrexham
Posted by: It Bites, October 3, 2022, 3:51pm; Reply: 1
The Mariners V Scunny
Posted by: Poojah, October 3, 2022, 3:56pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from It Bites
The Mariners V Scunny

It’s one of those rare occasions where you’re kind of rooting for them to win, just to make it a possibility. Scunny at home in the first round would be just what the doctor ordered!
Posted by: tintowner, October 3, 2022, 4:00pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Poojah

It’s one of those rare occasions where you’re kind of rooting for them to win, just to make it a possibility. Scunny at home in the first round would be just what the doctor ordered!

South Shields are nicknamed 'The Mariners'. They have had and still have a lot of money being pumped into them. Yet to lose a game this season in the Northern Premier League. A very tough game for Scunny.
Posted by: Hagrid, October 3, 2022, 4:19pm; Reply: 4
all the ( non league) big boys avoid each other
Posted by: Abdul19, October 3, 2022, 4:31pm; Reply: 5
JJ Hooper will score against Scunny. 1/1000 someone bafflingly refers to him as Agent Hooper.
Posted by: marinerjase, October 3, 2022, 4:43pm; Reply: 6
Kevin Phillips is their manager isn’t he?

Now he was a striker..
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 3, 2022, 4:59pm; Reply: 7
I’d be dreading that if I was a scunny fan .
Posted by: moosey_club, October 3, 2022, 5:20pm; Reply: 8
Didn't South Shields beat Cleethorpes in the Vase (?) final just a few years back?
They are generally a very handy side.
Posted by: lukeo, October 3, 2022, 5:31pm; Reply: 9
Taunton town (where I'm living) get a tasty local derby away to Yeovil
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 3, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from tintowner
I know this doesn't concern us anymore but there is a few interesting looking ties.

Blyth Spartans v Wrexham

Remember Blyth Spartans playing Wrexham back in 70’s I believe and game (maybe a replay) was played at St James Park with massive crowd of over 40,000 if I remember correctly. Think Alan Shoulder may have been playing for Blyth and his goals earned him a transfer to Newcastle.

The days when the FA Cup really meant something.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, October 3, 2022, 6:30pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from tintowner

Blyth Spartans v Wrexham

Didn't Wrexham knock Blyth Spartans out in the 5th round proper in the late 70s?
Posted by: TonySmith, October 3, 2022, 11:05pm; Reply: 12
Not sure about Wrexham knocking out Blyth Spartans in the late 70's, but I well remember Blyth Spartans knocking Town out in the early 70's. 3-1 it was, at Blundell Park, when we were in the old Third Division and they were in the Northern Premier League. Big cup upset of the day, I think, and I recall their goalkeeper hobbling around almost on one leg towards the end of the game after he got injured, and he still kept us out! The romance of the cup indeed, even if Town were the "Giants" who got "killed" that day!
Posted by: thornemariner, October 4, 2022, 7:54am; Reply: 13
Quoted from moosey_club
Didn't South Shields beat Cleethorpes in the Vase (?) final just a few years back?
They are generally a very handy side.

4 0 to Shields if I remember correctly. I was at the game and watched the Trophy final afterwards.
Posted by: barralad, October 4, 2022, 8:46pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from TonySmith
Not sure about Wrexham knocking out Blyth Spartans in the late 70's, but I well remember Blyth Spartans knocking Town out in the early 70's. 3-1 it was, at Blundell Park, when we were in the old Third Division and they were in the Northern Premier League. Big cup upset of the day, I think, and I recall their goalkeeper hobbling around almost on one leg towards the end of the game after he got injured, and he still kept us out! The romance of the cup indeed, even if Town were the "Giants" who got "killed" that day!

I dont like to correct people but you are getting your North Eastern non-league teams mixed up. We played Blyth at home in 1973 at B.P. I cannot remember the score but they earned a replay. It was the time of the 3 day week so the replay kicked off at 12.00 noon on the following Tuesday. Town won 2-0 and went on to lose to then First Division Burnley at B.P. in Round 3. Incidentally the programme ftom that replay is the most valuable post war Town programme regularly making a ton or more even on e-bay on the rare occasion it comes up for sale.
The 3-1 defeat was a couple of years later to Gateshead at B.P. They had a scrawny ginger centre forward called Slade who mullered us that day. We were 3rd Dvision so it was a massive shock.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 4, 2022, 9:14pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from barralad

I dont like to correct people but you are getting your North Eastern non-league teams mixed up. We played Blyth at home in 1973 at B.P. I cannot remember the score but they earned a replay. It was the time of the 3 day week so the replay kicked off at 12.00 noon on the following Tuesday. Town won 2-0 and went on to lose to then First Division Burnley at B.P. in Round 3. Incidentally the programme ftom that replay is the most valuable post war Town programme regularly making a ton or more even on e-bay on the rare occasion it comes up for sale.
The 3-1 defeat was a couple of years later to Gateshead at B.P. They had a scrawny ginger centre forward called Slade who mullered us that day. We were 3rd Dvision so it was a massive shock.

I remember those games although I gave the Blyth replay a miss. I wish I had gone and bought the programme :X

A good site to check all those results you just can't remember.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=1148&teamTabs=results
Posted by: TonySmith, October 4, 2022, 11:21pm; Reply: 16
Thanks Barralad, no offence taken I assure you. It was Gateshead I'm remembering then, that's good to know. It was all a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 5, 2022, 4:55am; Reply: 17
Quoted from TonySmith
Thanks Barralad, no offence taken I assure you. It was Gateshead I'm remembering then, that's good to know. It was all a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!

So was the pitch from the stand! Sh1te ground
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 6:33pm