Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, September 26, 2022, 3:50pm
Hi fellow Mariners!

I'm looking for some help and/advice with something.

Each year I bring a number of friends/family that support both Town and other clubs, to an Executive Day experience at Blundell Park. This season's is against Crawley on 8th October. I have 4 from South Yorkshire (Rotherham area) going but there is a rail strike that day and I can't see any direct buses. This would mean that someone would have to forgo a few beers and drive. Whilst not the end of the world, it would be great if they could let their hair down and enjoy a Docks Beer or two before the game.

Does anyone have details of a reasonable taxi firm, or know of anyone travelling to the game who might be able to assist?

Thanks in advance for any help and UTM!
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 26, 2022, 4:12pm; Reply: 1
Hi fellow Mariners!

I'm looking for some help and/advice with something.

Each year I bring a number of friends/family that support both Town and other clubs, to an Executive Day experience at Blundell Park. This season's is against Crawley on 8th October. I have 4 from South Yorkshire (Rotherham area) going but there is a rail strike that day and I can't see any direct buses. This would mean that someone would have to forgo a few beers and drive. Whilst not the end of the world, it would be great if they could let their hair down and enjoy a Docks Beer or two before the game.

Does anyone have details of a reasonable taxi firm, or know of anyone travelling to the game who might be able to assist?

Thanks in advance for any help and UTM!

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that someone did mention a while back that Docks Beers run a minibus for any Town fans going to the game. As I said I'm not 100% sure this is correct but worth giving them a ring and asking them.
Posted by: diehardmariner, September 26, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 2
Docks Beers is a 2-minute walk from the bus stops on Victoria Street (one outside the Job Centre and the other opposite the retail park).  Any bus going down there heading towards Cleethorpes will stop outside Blundell Park.

https://tiscon-maps-stagecoachbus.s3.amazonaws.com/RouteMaps/East%20Midlands/EMID%20Grimsby%20MegaRider%20Boundary%20April%202022.pdf
Posted by: Son of Cod, September 26, 2022, 4:25pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think that someone did mention a while back that Docks Beers run a minibus for any Town fans going to the game. As I said I'm not 100% sure this is correct but worth giving them a ring and asking them.

I think he's talking about a taxi from South Yorkshire to Cleethorpes, not from Docks to BP.
Posted by: Les Brechin, September 26, 2022, 4:37pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Son of Cod

I think he's talking about a taxi from South Yorkshire to Cleethorpes, not from Docks to BP.

That'll cost a few quid whoever would do it.

Be good if there were 2 people coming with a couple of spare seats each, that'd save the cost of a taxi.
Posted by: lukeo, September 26, 2022, 5:17pm; Reply: 5
I'd guess you're looking at around £200 (£100 each way) at an absolute minimum.. I'd suggest ringing some firms up (Google them)..
I do casual work for a  taxi firm down in the south west but may be up in Grimsby for that weekend! Let me know how much they're charging you
Posted by: lukeo, September 26, 2022, 5:23pm; Reply: 6
Ok I was wrong by a long way!! Apparently you're looking at £467 minimum price (A1 taxis) https://www.taxipricecompare.co.uk/#A70BA5EBAA8D44D12E3EF938939D7C93

Let me know if you find something cheaper
Posted by: DB, September 26, 2022, 5:36pm; Reply: 7
If they're working, why not catch a train early and B & B sat night. Just a thought.
Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, September 26, 2022, 6:01pm; Reply: 8
Hi all.

Thanks for your replies, it's much appreciated.

Yeah I've had a look at taxis, thanks for the suggestions. Pretty pricey! I think one of them will need to drive or if someone has car seats spare as someone mentioned.

Good suggestion re a BnB, unfortunately one of them has a commitment meaning they need to be home in the evening.

Thanks again all. If there are any South Yorkshire based Mariners, if not this match, any seats for future games or even a meet up in the area to watch a streamed match, let me know.

All the best and UTM

Posted by: promotion plaice, September 26, 2022, 6:08pm; Reply: 9

Give Hurst a call !!!
Posted by: Poojah, September 26, 2022, 6:17pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from promotion plaice

Give Hurst a call !!!

I dropped him a text earlier to see if he could help. Said unfortunately he can’t as he’ll be in Blackburn that day.

Must have family over that way or something…
Posted by: lukeo, September 26, 2022, 6:19pm; Reply: 11
If I am up that way for the weekend I'd do it at half the price you're being quoted but obviously it wouldn't be an official taxi as I'd be out of my area
Posted by: DB, September 26, 2022, 6:24pm; Reply: 12
Hi all.

Thanks for your replies, it's much appreciated.

Yeah I've had a look at taxis, thanks for the suggestions. Pretty pricey! I think one of them will need to drive or if someone has car seats spare as someone mentioned.

Good suggestion re a BnB, unfortunately one of them has a commitment meaning they need to be home in the evening.

Thanks again all. If there are any South Yorkshire based Mariners, if not this match, any seats for future games or even a meet up in the area to watch a streamed match, let me know.

All the best and UTM

You could let your mate return the same day by train while you and your friends enjoy the hospitality of Cleethorpes. ;) ;)

Posted by: DB, September 26, 2022, 6:28pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

Give Hurst a call !!!

Any suggestions as to what? :K)

Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, September 26, 2022, 6:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from lukeo
If I am up that way for the weekend I'd do it at half the price you're being quoted but obviously it wouldn't be an official taxi as I'd be out of my area

Thanks, let me know 😀
Posted by: immariner, September 26, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from DB

You could let your mate return the same day by train while you and your friends enjoy the hospitality of Cleethorpes. ;) ;)

I have 4 from South Yorkshire (Rotherham area) going but there is a rail strike that day and I can't see any direct buses.

Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, September 27, 2022, 3:40pm; Reply: 16
Update for the South Yorkshire Mariners on here.....

The 4 traveling from Rotherham have booked a minibus, must be desperate for a few beers to wash down the might Cleethorpes Fish n Chips! There are naturally spare seats so if anyone wants a lift there and back, midday coming back in the evening, just let me know. Contributions welcome.

UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 27, 2022, 6:42pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah

I dropped him a text earlier to see if he could help. Said unfortunately he can’t as he’ll be in Blackburn that day.

Must have family over that way or something…

Naughty !!!     ;D
Posted by: lukeo, September 28, 2022, 6:44pm; Reply: 18
Glad they're all sorted. Just bought mine and my grandad ticket  8)
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, September 28, 2022, 7:06pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from lukeo
Ok I was wrong by a long way!! Apparently you're looking at £467 minimum price (A1 taxis) https://www.taxipricecompare.co.uk/#A70BA5EBAA8D44D12E3EF938939D7C93

Christ on unicycle! HOW MUCH?!

I'm in the wrong job (blink2)
Posted by: marinernige, September 28, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from lukeo

Your way off the mark there ,a taxi from Sheffield/Rotherham would cost you £250 return.
Posted by: marinernige, September 28, 2022, 7:41pm; Reply: 21
i'm a cabbie in grimsby if you get stuck i'd be prepared to come and get you , and take you back later.
Posted by: lukeo, September 28, 2022, 10:21pm; Reply: 22
I just googled it and that's what came up, I thought it was pricey!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, September 29, 2022, 8:25am; Reply: 23
Quoted from marinernige
i'm a cabbie in grimsby if you get stuck i'd be prepared to come and get you , and take you back later.

Is that after you’ve had the Doombar or before? Might mean you get back to your seat on time for once after your half time bevvy  😀😀
Posted by: Andy_worldwide_mariner, October 6, 2022, 12:09pm; Reply: 24
Hi all.

Not related to the journey, although we did book a minibus and can't wait to watch the Mighty Mariners on Saturday!

I saw a gent wearing a GTFC jumper at Tesco's in Wath Upon Dearne last week. That's the Town I live in now and as I'm surrounded by Rotherham, Wednesday and Sheff Utd fans, it'd be great to touch base with a fellow Mariner in our little part of the world.

Anyone know who it might be?

Thanks in advance and UTM
Posted by: Mayaman, October 6, 2022, 3:09pm; Reply: 25
When all the trains were cancelled because of the hot weather, I got a taxi pretty last minute to Manchester for 175.   Other firms were quoting 265.  If you're still stuck I'll dig out his number.
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 8:04pm