Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, August 16, 2022, 8:46pm
And a bit damp.

Obvious from the start it was never going to make it to 90 mins.

Correct decision.
Posted by: It Bites, August 16, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 1
Thought we looked very sharp . Looking very good .
Posted by: GYinScuntland, August 16, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ginnywings
And a bit damp.

Obvious from the start it was never going to make it to 90 mins.

Correct decision.

Then by that logic was it the wrong decision to start it?
Posted by: ginnywings, August 16, 2022, 8:55pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GYinScuntland

They had to give it a go with Carlisle travelling all that way and the rain only really starting at about 6 o'clock.

Rock hard parched earth not soaking any of the rain up, it got very messy, very quickly.

No blame attached anywhere for me.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, August 16, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 4
Kiernan looked very busy and got himself a couple of chances. He probably should have done better with the header from the corner.

There were a couple of dodgy clearances and Amos played a few poor passes inside, but both can be excused by the weather.

MOM was Glennon for that outstanding tackle in the corner.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, August 16, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 5
Fair play for giving it a go but looked doomed to be called off from the start...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 16, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 6
Glennon certainly gets ‘champagne moment’ for the challenge. Unfortunately, the rain wrecked his Ringo hair cut however.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 16, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 7
Correct decision to start, correct decision to call it off, sad the comical sliced Carlisle clearance didn't drop in under the bar but at least it meant we weren't winning when it was abandoned.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 16, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

They had to give it a go with Carlisle travelling all that way and the rain only really starting at about 6 o'clock.

Rock hard parched earth not soaking any of the rain up, it got very messy, very quickly.

No blame attached anywhere for me.

Right decision no argument.
Must admit though I was pretty shocked at how much water was sat on the pitch considering it didn't start raining until after 6.
The rather half hearted uncoordinated efforts to clear it when the ref suspended play were pretty pathetic and pointless.

Regards your parched earth comment the only point I would say is that the grass is very green and the club have a full sprinkler system so I guess it has been getting regularly watered to maintain it so can't be parched surely?

Posted by: Mariner_501, August 16, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 9
Gutted it was called off but no alternative really.

Not that it counts for much but town were definitely the better team in the time played. Makes it more or a shame that it couldn’t be played
Posted by: ginnywings, August 16, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club

Must admit though I was pretty shocked at how much water was sat on the pitch considering it didn't start raining until after 6.
The rather half hearted uncoordinated efforts to clear it when the ref suspended play were pretty pathetic and pointless.

Regards your parched earth comment the only point I would say is that the grass is very green and the club have a full sprinkler system so I guess it has been getting regularly watered to maintain it so can't be parched surely?

Dunno. Maybe your right but it did rain very hard for about three hours.

It's stopped now.  :-/
Posted by: bobbyturtle, August 16, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 11
trying to understand how the pitch is rock hard,when we have had an sprinkler system in?
more likely how it drains, as in the past
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 16, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from moosey_club

Watering the grass is one thing but the ground is so compacted that it can’t get quickly into the drainage system. Once the ground is opened up, it will drain a lot quicker.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 16, 2022, 9:45pm; Reply: 13
Rather today than next week against Forest

Our drainage must be garbage because even Gainsbrough got their game finished

Game itself bit of a farce but thought Kiernan looked sharp again!

Nice to see Jamie Devitt applauding the home fans when the ref- who did his best to keep the game on- rightly abandoned it
Posted by: LH, August 16, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from GYinScuntland

Probably. A heavy burst of rain on the driest surface we might ever have had in this corner of the world was always going to cause standing water.

It’s happened against Derby and Macclesfield in recent seasons too. Putting it back 24hrs yesterday might have made sense but I’m sure there’s rules and reasons why that couldn’t have happened.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, August 16, 2022, 10:16pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mariner_501
Gutted it was called off but no alternative really.

Not that it counts for much but town were definitely the better team in the time played. Makes it more or a shame that it couldn’t be played

Rochdale on Saturday we’re by far the better team up til mid way through the first half
Posted by: gtfc98, August 17, 2022, 12:09am; Reply: 16
Bit odd that there's no post match reaction from Hurst?
Posted by: Mayaman, August 17, 2022, 12:41am; Reply: 17
Sounds like the right decision.  Went to a game here and popped for a beer at half time.  By the time it was kick off , we had to wade back to the stand. They didn't abandon the game. It was comical but stupid.  You couldn't kick the ball more than a few yards.  You could slide tackle across half the pitch.  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 17, 2022, 1:33am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid
Rather today than next week against Forest

Our drainage must be garbage because even Gainsbrough got their game finished

Game itself bit of a farce but thought Kiernan looked sharp again!

Nice to see Jamie Devitt applauding the home fans when the ref- who did his best to keep the game on- rightly abandoned it

Just because Gainsborough play in the Northern Prem doesn't mean their drainage is terrible. They have an excellent pitch all year round and have done for years.
Posted by: aldi_01, August 17, 2022, 7:47am; Reply: 19
They were right to stay the game but it was obvious it wasn’t ever going to finish. The rain didn’t ease off so sponging the pitch and brushing off the rain was only ever gonna be futile.

Both teams were happy with the decision. Shame really because both teams looked like they wanted to try and play football.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 17, 2022, 8:17am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MarinerDevil
Kiernan looked very busy and got himself a couple of chances. He probably should have done better with the header from the corner.

There were a couple of dodgy clearances and Amos played a few poor passes inside, but both can be excused by the weather.

MOM was Glennon for that outstanding tackle in the corner.

I agree about Kiernan. He's looked good every time i've seen him.
With Khan due back, and Wearne/JMD not getting in the starting 11, the depth of wingers look's good for the season IMO.
Posted by: HerveJosse, August 17, 2022, 8:53am; Reply: 21
Anybody know what attendance was can’t find it?
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), August 17, 2022, 9:09am; Reply: 22
Can’t argue with calling it off. Would’ve been gutted if a key player got injured on that.

Shite journey home though. M62 closed. Didn’t realise. It’s tough when all your games are “away” games.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 17, 2022, 10:00am; Reply: 23
The BBC forecast at lunchtime was for 2 hours of light rain in the Grimsby area.  So much for far more accurate weather forecasts these days.

Sorry that the M62 was closed.  Saw that warning as we turned off for Howden.

A neighbour was travelling north of Newark on the A1 last night,  they had to pull off due to the heavy rain making driving unsafe.  The first time they have had ever had to this.

Besides Waterfall it would have been useful to have had some other Town players last night:  Joe Waters, Mike Brolly, Kevin Drinkell and Harry “Rainman”.
Posted by: smokey111, August 17, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 24
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The BBC forecast at lunchtime was for 2 hours of light rain in the Grimsby area.  So much for far more accurate weather forecasts these days.

A neighbour was travelling north of Newark on the A1 last night,  they had to pull off due to the heavy rain making driving unsafe.  The first time they have had ever had to this.

Besides Waterfall it would have been useful to have had some other Town players last night:  Joe Waters, Mike Brolly, Kevin Drinkell and Harry “Rainman”.

Gallimore. He can drink like a fish.
Posted by: Chrisblor, August 17, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 25
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I've found the BBC's forecasts to be absolutely useless since they sacked off the met office and started using 'meteogroup' as their weather provider a few years ago. If you visit the met office website directly I find their forecasts are much more accurate, and they'd been forecasting sustained heavy rain for Cleethorpes throughout the evening since at least lunchtime yesterday.
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 17, 2022, 12:46pm; Reply: 26
Just one of those things.  No-one expected the rain to be that heavy and for so long.  There's heavy rain and then there's that, it was just biblical.  

Ground is rock solid so doesn't absorb the water, grass has probably got an extra half inch on it to factor in the dry weather which doesn't help with standing water.  Perfect storm, literally.

Fair play to the ref for trying to get it on, everyone was owed that.  Personally thought it was a no-go from the first few minutes when it was evident it was holding up in patches and it just got worse as it went on.  Right decision as those conditions become farcical and frankly dangerous.

Thought we looked sharp again and our wingers were causing major problems.  Interesting again that he's gone with Glennon on the wing whilst Maguire-Drew just sat on the bench.  Glennon's so good that he'll cause issues wherever he plays.  I personally think he's more effective from deeper but I can't say it makes us less of a threat when he is operating further up.  I guess Wearne was rested after two starts but for JMD it feels like the writing may be on the wall a little for him.  Crofty was talking about it on the radio before hand saying he feels that Hurst probably doesn't trust him to last a game and then questioned in a roundabout way how badly the player wants it.  With Khan coming back into it we're overstocked with options wide now (Wearne, Kiernan, Khan, JMD plus Glennon and Clifton who can operate there - at a push you've got Khouri too).  Wouldn't surprise me if we see JMD going out before the window shuts.
Posted by: smokey111, August 17, 2022, 12:53pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just one of those things.  No-one expected the rain to be that heavy and for so long.  There's heavy rain and then there's that, it was just biblical.  

Ground is rock solid so doesn't absorb the water, grass has probably got an extra half inch on it to factor in the dry weather which doesn't help with standing water.  Perfect storm, literally.

Fair play to the ref for trying to get it on, everyone was owed that.  Personally thought it was a no-go from the first few minutes when it was evident it was holding up in patches and it just got worse as it went on.  Right decision as those conditions become farcical and frankly dangerous.

Thought we looked sharp again and our wingers were causing major problems.  Interesting again that he's gone with Glennon on the wing whilst Maguire-Drew just sat on the bench.  Glennon's so good that he'll cause issues wherever he plays.  I personally think he's more effective from deeper but I can't say it makes us less of a threat when he is operating further up.  I guess Wearne was rested after two starts but for JMD it feels like the writing may be on the wall a little for him.  Crofty was talking about it on the radio before hand saying he feels that Hurst probably doesn't trust him to last a game and then questioned in a roundabout way how badly the player wants it.  With Khan coming back into it we're overstocked with options wide now (Wearne, Kiernan, Khan, JMD plus Glennon and Clifton who can operate there - at a push you've got Khouri too).  Wouldn't surprise me if we see JMD going out before the window shuts.

Listening to Crofty, he was fairly brutal on JMD. Questioning not only fitness but desire and attitude.
I think I agree that he might get moved on. So talented but I imagine his career will drift around non league unless he really knuckles down.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 17, 2022, 1:05pm; Reply: 28
Have we all dried out yet??
Posted by: Son of Cod, August 17, 2022, 1:12pm; Reply: 29
Would be a nice gesture from the club to give any Carlisle fans coming back for the re-arranged match a pint or something.
Posted by: Brazilnut, August 17, 2022, 1:17pm; Reply: 30
[

Besides Waterfall it would have been useful to have had some other Town players last night:  Joe Waters, Mike Brolly, Kevin Drinkell and Harry “Rainman”.[/quote]

Tony Ford  to drive straight thro it ......or even Tommy Forecast so we would have seen it coming  
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 17, 2022, 1:32pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Brazilnut

or even Tommy Forecast so we would have seen it coming  

He'd definitely have missed it!
Posted by: Mayaman, August 17, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from smokey111

Listening to Crofty, he was fairly brutal on JMD. Questioning not only fitness but desire and attitude.
I think I agree that he might get moved on. So talented but I imagine his career will drift around non league unless he really knuckles down.

It's a shame.  He's got some important assists and even more important goals.
Posted by: Mayaman, August 17, 2022, 2:56pm; Reply: 33
As there were no player ratings, I thought I'd do them myself:

Crocrombe  6 played well under difficult conditions.
Efete 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Waterfall 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Smith6 played well under difficult conditions.
Glennon 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Amos 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Green 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Holohan 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Kiernan 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Morris 6 played well under difficult conditions.
Taylor 6 played well under difficult conditions.

Mother Nature 10.  Played a blinder!  Ran rings around both teams and match officials.
Posted by: grimps, August 17, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from HerveJosse
Anybody know what attendance was can’t find it?

Yeah I’d be interested to know how many was there
Posted by: WelwynGardener, August 17, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 35
'Interesting' day all round. Elected to 'let the train take the strain' in my journey from Hertfordshire, but Transpennine Express don't seem to run trains nowadays and I was bundled into a taxi with 5 others at Doncaster to complete an uncomfortable journey to Cleethorpes. But at least I got my Forest ticket before the heavens opened. Luckily, I'd brought with me a huge umbrella and waterproof trousers and shoes for the walk from and to my hotel on the Kingsway. I'm still amazed by how many youngsters don't take heed of weather forecasts and presumably arrive home drenched to the skin. Today, for the return journey, again there was huge disruption to the rail network (overhead wires down last night) and 3 trains were merged at Doncaster to leave crowds of people standing or sitting on their luggage. I guess it's all in the life of a footy fan, and I'll be there, come what may, next Tuesday, but hopefully you'll forgive me if I don't venture north for the Sutton encounter on Saturday!
Posted by: toontown, August 17, 2022, 9:20pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner
for JMD it feels like the writing may be on the wall a little for him.  Crofty was talking about it on the radio before hand saying he feels that Hurst probably doesn't trust him to last a game and then questioned in a roundabout way how badly the player wants it.....Wouldn't surprise me if we see JMD going out before the window shuts.

I had the exact same thoughts.

Bags of ability, very good player for a winger with no pace, but simply has to be more willing to put a shift in now we have gone up a level.

I have said before, I think he was brought in assuming we would be NL level last season (obviously) and this season, with Hurst expecting to play him against teams that parked the bus were his lack of defensive work didn't matter much and at a lower level were we could carry 1 player not working hard.

Now we've gone up a level that has become, like the playoffs, being on the bench only brought on when were a goal down and need to score so take the risk. And there is no doubt he  rings goal threat with him.

I would have thought the sight of mcatee,even more talented but working so hard, and getting that championship move  might have convinced him of the merits 9f putting the off ball work in. I hope so.

Otherwise I agree that him being moved on either through Hurst wanting it or the player or both may be coming.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 18, 2022, 1:13am; Reply: 37
Quoted from toontown

I had the exact same thoughts.

Bags of ability, very good player for a winger with no pace, but simply has to be more willing to put a shift in now we have gone up a level.

I have said before, I think he was brought in assuming we would be NL level last season (obviously) and this season, with Hurst expecting to play him against teams that parked the bus were his lack of defensive work didn't matter much and at a lower level were we could carry 1 player not working hard.

Now we've gone up a level that has become, like the playoffs, being on the bench only brought on when were a goal down and need to score so take the risk. And there is no doubt he  rings goal threat with him.

I would have thought the sight of mcatee,even more talented but working so hard, and getting that championship move  might have convinced him of the merits 9f putting the off ball work in. I hope so.

Otherwise I agree that him being moved on either through Hurst wanting it or the player or both may be coming.

some good points there. As many have said Hurst doesn't suffer fools gladly and if he makes a mistake then the mistake usually gets moved on pdq
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 18, 2022, 10:45am; Reply: 38
I think we all expected JMD to come back after a full pre-season with us looking as fit as anyone else.

Looks to be a real shame because technically he's very good and as discussed just a few weeks ago, his stats in terms of goals and assists are exceptional.  
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 10:27pm