Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, August 12, 2022, 7:09pm
Had a walk on sea front today after seeing my dad who has dementia in a care home……to try and clear my head!
I noticed a guy wearing a town shirt sat having a cup of tea with what looked like a carer. When I got closer I saw it was Dave Boylen. I sat and had a chat with him about his career and he remembered everything…..
There was a twitter post asking for players names from the McMenemy promotion night…..he knew them all!
His carer knew he played football but never realised that he was a legend at GTFC….
Bless him…..sat with his town shirt on
I know he’s not well like my dad but feel I made him smile and laugh which is the least he deserves.

I would post the photo I took of him but don’t know how to?

It’s not all about winning…..
UTM
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 12, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 1
Legend
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 12, 2022, 7:15pm; Reply: 2

Yeah I also saw Dave today but did't get to speak to him as he was on the other side of the road near the lifeboat station and yes, he was with his carer. He never goes out on his own these days.

Town through and through and a great bloke as well.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, August 12, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 3
Done it !
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, August 12, 2022, 7:21pm; Reply: 4
Well half of him…….!
Must be a better way of posting a photo that you can see?
Posted by: It Bites, August 12, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Done it !

💕💕 He looks very well . Top player and great bloke
Posted by: DB, August 12, 2022, 7:25pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
Had a walk on sea front today after seeing my dad who has dementia in a care home……to try and clear my head!
I noticed a guy wearing a town shirt sat having a cup of tea with what looked like a carer. When I got closer I saw it was Dave Boylen. I sat and had a chat with him about his career and he remembered everything…..
There was a twitter post asking for players names from the McMenemy promotion night…..he knew them all!
His carer knew he played football but never realised that he was a legend at GTFC….
Bless him…..sat with his town shirt on
I know he’s not well like my dad but feel I made him smile and laugh which is the least he deserves.

I would post the photo I took of him but don’t know how to?

It’s not all about winning…..
UTM

It's all about caring
Caring for the club now, and in the future
Caring about current players and those that have retired
Caring for your community
and especially
Caring for your family, young and old.

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 12, 2022, 7:27pm; Reply: 7
Legend
Posted by: denni266, August 12, 2022, 7:29pm; Reply: 8
Saw dave at the game on tuesday, He was with another man could have been his carer , Dont think he misses many home games
Posted by: ginnywings, August 12, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 9
He's out walking with his carer most days on the seafront. See him regularly when I'm out doing my daily jaunt.

Bet it takes him ages as people are always stopping to talk to him.
Posted by: Deckhand, August 12, 2022, 9:16pm; Reply: 10
The club should do more for their explayers especially when they have been diagnosed with dementia
Mike Lyons Chris Nicholl Matt Tees Bobby Ross Kevin Moore have all suffered
Posted by: fishboyUTM, August 12, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 11
Doesn't seem long ago I played in a charity game against him in midfield. The ball came to me, I saw Dave in my peripheral vision and decided I could afford a touch before the pass. Dave came out of nowhere and put me on my bottom  ;D ;D ;D

Actually had to go off injured! Booted in the air by a 62 year old 5'5 bloke when I was 34! He later told me he used to do that in his career, made out he wasn't interested then smashed the opposition! Good bloke Dave, pleased he's doing okay despite everything.
Posted by: toontown, August 12, 2022, 9:41pm; Reply: 12
I saw him walking with his carer today with his town shirt with "boylen" on the back, would have spoken to him but I was other side of the busy seafront road and sat with a pint and company.
Posted by: TonySmith, August 12, 2022, 10:36pm; Reply: 13
Dave was one of my early Town heroes. He played a huge part in the McMenemy 71-72 promotion season and for several years afterwards. I well remember the cheers that would erupt when he won a header. It did happen, believe it or not! He was a very skillful midfield player who always gave 100%. I can still visualize the goal he scored direct from a corner, one mid 70's Tuesday night against Plymouth, I believe. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I remember that!
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 12, 2022, 11:04pm; Reply: 14
I think he looks very well, which makes me happy.

His era was before my time, but his popularity has always been obvious.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 13, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 15
"We've got Davy, Davy Boylen on the wing, on the wing,
We've got Davy, Davy Boylen on the wing, on the wing,
Davy, Davy Boylen, Davy Boylen on the wiiiiiinng
Davy, Davy Boylen, Davy Boylen on the wing"
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 13, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 16
Quoted from TonySmith
Dave was one of my early Town heroes. He played a huge part in the McMenemy 71-72 promotion season and for several years afterwards. I well remember the cheers that would erupt when he won a header. It did happen, believe it or not! He was a very skillful midfield player who always gave 100%. I can still visualize the goal he scored direct from a corner, one mid 70's Tuesday night against Plymouth, I believe. I can't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, but I remember that!

Really sick that I missed that Promotion season as I was running all over the Bogside in Londonderry, chasing scrotes throwing bricks and other stuff at us.  Missed a lot more seasons also, but that's life!  I did get a letter from McMenemy after I sent him a congratulations letter, which I thought was very good of him.

Posted by: GtfcGarner, August 13, 2022, 9:52am; Reply: 17
Being related to Dave it’s lovely to see all the lovely memories pouring in for him. Although suffering with dementia he still remembers his fond football memories including telling me regularly that Kevin Keegan telling him there was a period he was the best winger in the land. He still loves his beloved GTFC and I’m really happy that he gave some of you some lovely memories to remember, sadly I’m too young to remember him playing for town.
Posted by: It Bites, August 13, 2022, 10:18am; Reply: 18
How come he left town when he was only 30 ?
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 13, 2022, 2:01pm; Reply: 19
Always one of my heroes, was playing when I started going, a few years later the current Mrs Gaffer got me a town gnome for Christmas, straight away it was called Dave, if I look out onto my garden “ Dave” is still down there controlling the midfield.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 6:27am