Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mariner tommy, August 9, 2022, 10:16pm
I don’t know where to start really, we absolutely took them apart from the first minute, Crewe never had a look in, the system we played just worked, the substitutions were also good.
Four cracking goals that were all well worked and two good penalty shouts turned away. This was a superb performance against a side that’s started the season well.
I’ve got to say that all our new signings have been great, can’t wait for the cup draw tomorrow.
One more point of interest, I don’t recall them having any shots on target.
Posted by: denni266, August 9, 2022, 10:22pm; Reply: 1
Agree with above . looked very good . Never saw or heared a drone and no one was mentioning it around me ,, Just thought they went to the dug outs for a drink
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, August 9, 2022, 10:25pm; Reply: 2
I don’t know where to start really, we absolutely took them apart from the first minute, Crewe never had a look in, the system we played just worked, the substitutions were also good.
Four cracking goals that were all well worked and two good penalty shouts turned away. This was a superb performance against a side that’s started the season well.
I’ve got to say that all our new signings have been great, can’t wait for the cup draw tomorrow.
One more point of interest,
Quoted from mariner tommy
I don’t recall them having any shots on target.

The BBC says the same. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62388013

Posted by: Tommy, August 9, 2022, 10:26pm; Reply: 3
Really good game and a strong Town performance.

Played 4141 but as ever, the formation isn't the be all and end all, it's how you play the formation that counts. It was an aggressive 4141. Morris sat deep in front of the back 4 but the 4 in midfield ahead of him were all on the front foot, pressed well and got forward to get support around Pepple. In the past we've allowed a lone striker to get isolated by midfielders playing too deep or not getting up in support of the striker enough. But tonight Holohan and perhaps more surprisingly Green played quite high up and were adventurous with their runs. Wearne was good on the right and Glennon worked really hard on the left.

The Crewe keeper was shocking on crosses which helped, but we controlled the game well, even when we didn't have the ball I thought we controlled it and forced Crewe into going long. Played some really tidy football and confidence clearly grew after getting the goals in the first half.

Ref was very poor.

I thought Pepple showed enough to suggest he's got something about him and will offer us something.

Green was absolutely excellent in this slightly higher role. There was one moment off the ball which many may have missed - think it was at a Crewe throw-in - when one of their players tried to run past him or near him, and Green just stood his ground and checked the guy who hit thr deck and must have felt like he'd run into a brick wall.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 9, 2022, 10:27pm; Reply: 4
Really enjoyable against a poor- albeit changed- crewe side

Wearne impressed me again. Smith at CB is outstanding.

I also saw Les Brechin wearing jeans and a town shirt over a jumper. Les. What you doing man, its 25 degrees ;D

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow
Posted by: monkeyboy, August 9, 2022, 10:29pm; Reply: 5
Morris and green outstanding tonight. Look they are gonna be a great pairing. Green seemed to be everywhere and Morris touch was class.
Not a lot for pepple to go at but he’ll it up well but looks like he will need a few games to get match fit.

First yellow was a joke as was a cracking challenge and Amos should never have been booked.
Glennan looks a great improvement on Harry on that left side too.

Good performance with no real negatives barring the officials . What was that break? Drinks? Thought he was taking players off at that stage.
Posted by: toontown, August 9, 2022, 10:33pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Tommy
Really good game and a strong Town performance.

Played 4141 but as ever, the formation isn't the be all and end all, it's how you play the formation that counts. It was an aggressive 4141. Morris sat deep in front of the back 4 but the 4 in midfield ahead of him were all on the front foot, pressed well and got forward to get support around Pepple. In the past we've allowed a lone striker to get isolated by midfielders playing too deep or not getting up in support of the striker enough. But tonight Holohan and perhaps more surprisingly Green played quite high up and were adventurous with their runs. Wearne was good on the right and Glennon worked really hard on the left.

The Crewe keeper was shocking on crosses which helped, but we controlled the game well, even when we didn't have the ball I thought we controlled it and forced Crewe into going long. Played some really tidy football and confidence clearly grew after getting the goals in the first half.

Ref was very poor.

I thought Pepple showed enough to suggest he's got something about him and will offer us something.

Green was absolutely excellent in this slightly higher role. There was one moment off the ball which many may have missed - think it was at a Crewe throw-in - when one of their players tried to run past him or near him, and Green just stood his ground and checked the guy who hit thr deck and must have felt like he'd run into a brick wall.

Yeah I clocked that check from green, didn't move and the bloke just bounced off him lol
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 9, 2022, 10:39pm; Reply: 7
Crewe were absolutely terrible. Greens goal was a great strike, Kalala-esque except the keeper was in a heap on the floor. He missed a great chance later in the first half too.

Smith was an absolute rock at the back, and put in a great last ditch tackle towards the end. Efete drove forward with intent and they struggled to handle his strength. I didn't think he looked out of place on the right wing and he almost set one up for Pepple with a low cross.

Pepple showed promise, looked good with his feet and looked to link play. Wearne's goal at the end was quality but that could have been 6 or 7-0 tonight, I'm sure Glennon scored direct from a corner but the ref seemed to let the keeper pick it out the net and carry on.

The refs performance can be summed up by the fact we won 4-0 and everyone thought he was dreadful.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, August 9, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 8
The BBC said 6-0 for shots on target.  Says everything really.  What a treat for the fans there tonight.
Posted by: forza ivano, August 9, 2022, 10:53pm; Reply: 9
and perhaps another £30 - £40,000 in the bank from gate receipts, which is always helpful
Posted by: Maringer, August 9, 2022, 10:56pm; Reply: 10
The drone looked like it was hovering above the corner of our box. I clocked it just before the ref took the players to the side. I didn't realise that the rules were that drones mean that play has to stop. Could be a good ploy when you're under the cosh. "Release the drones!".

Otherwise, a good performance. Pleased to see Green really get into things after what I thought was an indifferent display on Saturday. Really clean strike for his goal and it's just a pity he couldn't finish off the other chance which came after some really good play. I thought Morris played very well in the centre too.

Some good flexibility shown by the squad today with Glennon and Efete doing decently well when out wide which is a good sign.

Another good performance from Wearne and the subs all did well too.

Pepple not exactly the weak link but he struggled to get involved at times and was reacting more than anticipating too often. Not at all surprising given that he's only 19 and probably doesn't know the names of most of his teammates yet! He kept on going throughout and showed one or two good touches so plenty to work with in the future.
Posted by: moosey_club, August 9, 2022, 10:59pm; Reply: 11
Crewe looked an understrength/ reserve side .....not sure how many fringe players they had played but regardless we slaughtered them first half.
Midfield all over them, lovely interplay within the formation and Holohan, Green and Morris rotating nicely.
Could easily have been 4/5 by half time.
They started sharper second half, a rocket , couple of subs and a tweak doing the trick for them,  we struggled to get to grips but the third goal killed them.
Wearne got a deserved goal to finish a counter attack and seal a great performance.

Utm
Posted by: gary_elton, August 9, 2022, 11:01pm; Reply: 12
A good solid performance... enjoyed that... but goodness gracious me... Saturdays and tonights refs need to pack it in... shocking , abysmal , awful.... I'd love to see their reports from the assessor....  well done Town... onwards and upwards we go  !!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 9, 2022, 11:02pm; Reply: 13
Thinking that Bryn Morris is more suited to the 4 role than the 8 role that he said he preferred. We might be just a couple of signings away from being a pretty good side.
Posted by: oochiad, August 9, 2022, 11:23pm; Reply: 14
Couldn’t make it tonight but listened in, sounds like a great performance with all the new lads doing well. Saturday I thought we played well and after tonight’s result really looking forward to my trip Rochdale way on Saturday. UTM!!!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 10, 2022, 12:39am; Reply: 15
Think tonight we really saw what we are getting with Green and I loved it. He already looks a lot fitter and stronger compared to the Orient game. Morris, Wearne, Glennon all really good. Back 4 immaculate albeit with shambolic opponents. Agree with comments above on Pepple - reacting rather than showing himself and trying to lose his marker. I’ve got such confidence in our coaching team I’m sure they’ll make the most of the raw talent there.
Posted by: DB, August 10, 2022, 6:26am; Reply: 16
The old saying is things come in 3's. We've had 3 bad refs, Orient, Northampton and Crewe so let's hope that's it for the season.
Posted by: A.l.f., August 10, 2022, 6:58am; Reply: 17
Lovely evening of football.  Now the new lads are settling in, Hurst has made some great additions again.  Can you imagine a fit John McAtee added to that team.  If we can do alright up to Xmas, just imagine how exciting the 2nd half of the season could be.  
Posted by: aldi_01, August 10, 2022, 7:34am; Reply: 18
Much changed or not, Crewe were dreadful. Completely inept, that said, you can only play what’s in front of you and from KO town dominated and never stopped.

Hard to pick a MOM but Smith was excellent again, Green was great, Holohan too.
Posted by: Youngy, August 10, 2022, 8:19am; Reply: 19
Can we all have a little love for the quality of the counter attack for the 4th goal starting with Khouri's pass to Kiernon? Brilliant move, brilliant cross, superb finish.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 9:12am; Reply: 20
Quoted from DB
The old saying is things come in 3's. We've had 3 bad refs, Orient, Northampton and Crewe so let's hope that's it for the season.

I'll be amazed if we get 3 good refs before the end of the season tbh.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 9:13am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Youngy
Can we all have a little love for the quality of the counter attack for the 4th goal starting with Khouri's pass to Kiernon? Brilliant move, brilliant cross, superb finish.

Absolutely, it was a fantastic move all round.
Posted by: Tommy, August 10, 2022, 9:18am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Youngy

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1557278231908204545?t=BzhNyMzUcs4oPybsUSlHig&s=19
Posted by: HatTrickHero, August 10, 2022, 9:26am; Reply: 23
And a bit of love for the sole Crewe fan applauding the goal as Wearne celebrates ;D

Edit: His mate eventually joins in
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 10, 2022, 10:04am; Reply: 24
Competition throughout the game of who was worst; Crewe, the ref or their 'keeper.  Still not sure who won it.

The ref and his assistants were truly dreadful, set the market with the booking on Amos for a fine tackle and it just went downhill from there.  The aforementioned corner looked like it went in twice to me, the linesman looked at the ref for guidance even though he was bang in line with it.  

After the Orient game I was little concerned with how far off the pace we looked and especially in the final 20 minutes very sluggish when we should have been putting them under pressure.  It was forgivable and understandable because of the rushed pre-season we had, but it lingered as a worry that we might take a while to get going.  Probably PTSD from the summer of 20-21 when we had a far from perfect pre-season.  

But Saturday and last night showed just how fit we are as a team.  To a man we had far more energy than them and that's what stood us apart.  That midfield three of Holohan, Morris and Green is almost exhausting to watch!  I didn't get the negative comments regards Green from the weekend but he looks far more effective when he's told to stretch play further forward.  Morris is going to be something of an unsung hero in there but he doesn't put a foot wrong, is incredibly efficient and can play a bit too as he displayed with some of his long range passing.  I like how he always moves the ball at pace too, as soon as it goes to him it's moved out quickly to someone in space.   Holohan looks a different player to the one who looked leggy at the end of the last season.  

Wearne is the little bit of craft and guile we've perhaps lacked so far.  Can see he's had a decent schooling in the game but he's fairly physical for a creative player too.  Got stuck in, won a fair share of headers and fully deserved his goal too.  Personally think he played himself into a starting slot for Rochdale.  

Wasn't massively sold on Glennon on the left.  I think he's more effective when he's coming from deeper with space ahead of him, same when Efete went onto the wing as well.  Both at their best when overlapping or taking advantage of gaps that have opened up ahead.  That said he still had a more than decent game and his deliveries are quality.  

Pepple looks useful.  Oddly in a game we dominated and scored four, when we really should have doubled that, he was slightly starved of service.  Had to do a lot of donkey work on his own and at times reminded us that it's his first game in the English game, could tell the pace was something new to him but he adjusted well and definitely looks like he's got the attributes to be a threat once he settles.  

Smith was solid and cool as ice at the back.  Waterfall had a mad 10 minutes where he made 3 consecutive errors that should have led to goals, just hope he's got them out his system.  It felt like Crewe were so bad that we just switched off in defence altogether.  

Not getting too carried away as Crewe were abysmal but that was incredibly encouraging to say the least.  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 10, 2022, 10:20am; Reply: 25
I would like to see lots of Holohan in the opposition box this season. Current formation should allow him more freedom and can see him getting quite a few goals with late runs into the area.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 10, 2022, 10:30am; Reply: 26
Good to see how Wearne hugged the touchline all match,having a winger of his quality played a big part in winning the match.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 10, 2022, 10:35am; Reply: 27
Jason said in June that the plan was to improve in every transfer window. It certainly seems we have done that this summer and there is still time to bring in more players.

With Green, Morris, Holohan and Clifton it looks like we have the strongest midfield we have had for some considerable time.
Posted by: RonMariner, August 10, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 28
Not forgetting we are yet to see Khan and Maher in action too. So the squad is looking pretty strong already.
Posted by: mariner91, August 10, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 29
Bit of a scary thought that we've still got Maher, Khan, Orsi and of course McAtee to come back in too. Looking strong. Just need a couple more additions for greater strength in depth but we look fit, we look organised and we look comfortable on the ball. If we can get a striker to be an option different to what we have already then there's no reason we can't have a really good season.
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 10, 2022, 10:38am; Reply: 30
Think the way Holohan and Green got so close to Pepple last night plus Wearne playing off the left or right has manufactured a way of playing without McAtee for the time being. Holohan was picking up pockets of space all over the place and was always looking to pass forward or run at their defenders when he got the ball. Doubt Rochdale will let him have that much space on Saturday, if they’ve bothered doing their research tonight. However, if we can play with that much energy and ambition, we’ll cause every team in this league problems.

Glennon’s set piece delivery could prove the difference in a lot of games too. In a league where there’s not much between the teams, with a lot of games with limited clear cut chances. Every single one was right on the money last night. I know their keeper had a disaster but some of them were so nasty that Alisson would’ve struggled dealing with them. Especially with a player like Waterfall in there, who’s about the biggest threat from those scenarios as anyone I can remember.

Michee is getting better with every game. Lower league defenders can’t cope with him at full tilt cos he’s a player like no other we’ve ever had. He also seems more defensively aware this season.

I think with Green, Morris and Holohan we’ve finally found ourselves a quality midfield in L2. Green looked a different player in that role last night and was absolutely everywhere. He’s better on the ball than I thought he was and he took his goal brilliantly. Echo a thought above re Morris, how many times have we complained about players moving the ball too slowly or going backwards? With Morris and particularly Holohan we have two positive minded midfielders who are getting the opposition on the back foot. Morris’ range of passing is also a cut above, very accurate.

Can’t leave Wearne out on Saturday, he was too much of a threat. Means leaving one of Keirnan or Harry out on Saturday, so that’s a tough call for Hursty either way. Think if we get the midfield and wingers as close to Taylor as we did Pepple, he’ll be even better equipped to win flick ons and lay it off to them.

We’ve had 2 games now without him and we aren’t bemoaning a lack of McAtee, which is a massive plus.
Posted by: friskneymariner, August 10, 2022, 10:53am; Reply: 31
Quoted from RonMariner
Jason said in June that the plan was to improve in every transfer window. It certainly seems we have done that this summer and there is still time to bring in more players.

With Green, Morris, Holohan and Clifton it looks like we have the strongest midfield we have had for some considerable time.

We have Khan who I believe will be a great asset when he is fit.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, August 10, 2022, 10:54am; Reply: 32
I've only seen the highlights and I don't want to take anything away from Town, you beat what's put in front of you....

...but their keeper looked like he didn't have a clue.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 10, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 33
I've only seen the highlights and I don't want to take anything away from Town, you beat what's put in front of you....

amazingly, on loan from Arsenal!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 10, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 34

I had to double check the teamsheet to make sure his name wasn't Forecast!  :)
Posted by: diehardmariner, August 10, 2022, 11:07am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mariner_09

Can’t leave Wearne out on Saturday, he was too much of a threat. Means leaving one of Keirnan or Harry out on Saturday, so that’s a tough call for Hursty either way. Think if we get the midfield and wingers as close to Taylor as we did Pepple, he’ll be even better equipped to win flick ons and lay it off to them.

Was saying this on the way out, unbelievable to think it but it looks to be that Clifton's the one who misses out.

That three in the middle looks really strong, flexible and are building an understanding.  Unfair on Harry to not be considered within them as he's not had a chance to make a claim.  But both Wearne and Kiernan have showed what they can offer from wide, the last goal just sums it up perfectly.  Clifton brings what he brings, pure energy.  But we've got that in the middle now too.  Without someone operating in that McAtee role, it's essential that our wide players are supporting the striker as you say above.  

In Clifton's favour is that the system we're playing supports two midfielders with a high press and at high intensity, something that should suit him perfectly when he gets that chance.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 10, 2022, 11:42am; Reply: 36
Quoted from diehardmariner

Was saying this on the way out, unbelievable to think it but it looks to be that Clifton's the one who misses out.

That three in the middle looks really strong, flexible and are building an understanding.  Unfair on Harry to not be considered within them as he's not had a chance to make a claim.  But both Wearne and Kiernan have showed what they can offer from wide, the last goal just sums it up perfectly.  Clifton brings what he brings, pure energy.  But we've got that in the middle now too.  Without someone operating in that McAtee role, it's essential that our wide players are supporting the striker as you say above.  

In Clifton's favour is that the system we're playing supports two midfielders with a high press and at high intensity, something that should suit him perfectly when he gets that chance.

I'm torn with what I think Hurst will do on this selection headache. He always seems to favour what I call a grafting winger one side and a more traditional one the other side which makes me think Clifton comes straight back in on Saturday but Kiernan and Wearne were heavily involved in the equaliser on Saturday and then combined brilliantly for the fourth last night.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 10, 2022, 11:48am; Reply: 37
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I'm torn with what I think Hurst will do on this selection headache. He always seems to favour what I call a grafting winger one side and a more traditional one the other side which makes me think Clifton comes straight back in on Saturday but Kiernan and Wearne were heavily involved in the equaliser on Saturday and then combined brilliantly for the fourth last night.

I do not think you can put Clifton back in on Saturday after seeing how we did without him attacking wise. When we get a No. 9 Clifton should start again.

Posted by: diehardmariner, August 10, 2022, 11:53am; Reply: 38
I'm normally of the same view regards Clifton, especially trying to see it through Hurst's eyes as he loves the energy he brings.  

But you've already got that 3 times over with Morris, Holohan and Green.   Minus McAtee, the demand is for this system to have the wingers higher up than where Clifton operates.  The argument for him to be included that his more defensive mindset adds further encouragement to Glennon bombing forward down the left.  But with Green or Morris sitting deep, almost as the third centre-back, the encouragement for the raiding from deep is already there.

Hurst is pragmatic and will no doubt pick the sides to suit games.  I would be very keen to see a front three of Wearne and Kiernan working off Taylor though.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, August 10, 2022, 12:00pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from RonMariner
Not forgetting we are yet to see Khan and Maher in action too. So the squad is looking pretty strong already.

Back 3 of Maher Smith Waterfall
And Efetee/Cropper - Glennon/Amos as wing backs is very, very impressive.

Glennon is exactly what i remember, and Smith has an incredible future in the game, he's only 20 and could easily play above this level already.
Posted by: buckstown, August 10, 2022, 12:22pm; Reply: 40
Didn't go last night, but Saturday I thought we looked better when Wearne gave us natural width and Harry moved inside providing greater energy.
Maybe releasing Green is the key as PH said he occasionally lacks discipline when playing the holding role. When Maher is fit I understand he can also play the holding role.
Big win last night, getting the first one on the board will give everyone a good lift
Posted by: mimma, August 10, 2022, 1:11pm; Reply: 41
I think Hurst will change it Saturday because we are away. He likes to sit deep and play on the counter. Not sure who out of last night will start on Saturday.
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 1:12pm; Reply: 42

He looked like he'd won a competition ;D
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 1:16pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mimma
I think Hurst will change it Saturday because we are away. He likes to sit deep and play on the counter. Not sure who out of last night will start on Saturday.

I'd like to see the same team as last night tbh, with the possible exception of Taylor for Pepple and Kiernan for Amos with Glennon dropping back to left back.

Fitness permitting of course.
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 10, 2022, 1:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from gary_elton
A good solid performance... enjoyed that... but goodness gracious me... Saturdays and tonights refs need to pack it in... shocking , abysmal , awful.... I'd love to see their reports from the assessor....  well done Town... onwards and upwards we go  !!

Well the ref tonight was promoted from the NL this season, so those assessors must have already seen him and thought he was good enough for the EFL!
Posted by: mimma, August 10, 2022, 1:38pm; Reply: 45
....or, they are short of refs
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 10, 2022, 1:53pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

I'd like to see the same team as last night tbh, with the possible exception of Taylor for Pepple and Kiernan for Amos with Glennon dropping back to left back.

Fitness permitting of course.

I’m not sure that you won’t see Amos & Glennon again as the two left sided players. It’s an experiment that appeared to work.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, August 10, 2022, 1:57pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Lost in Lincoln

He looked like he'd won a competition ;D

Obviously one that didn’t involve catching a ball 😀😀
Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 2:06pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Obviously one that didn’t involve catching a ball 😀😀

Clearly ;D;D 8)

Posted by: Lost in Lincoln, August 10, 2022, 2:07pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m not sure that you won’t see Amos & Glennon again as the two left sided players. It’s an experiment that appeared to work.

We will see.

Posted by: tashee69, August 10, 2022, 2:44pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Posh Harry

Well the ref tonight was promoted from the NL this season, so those assessors must have already seen him and thought he was good enough for the EFL!

JT said he was the clueless ref from the Wrexham play off

Just looking on soccer base, he reffed 15 games last season, 5 of which involved Town
Posted by: forza ivano, August 10, 2022, 2:48pm; Reply: 51
one point that nobody mentioned is that last night allowed us to catch up a bit in the pre season preparations. We got a competitive 90 minutes, outside of the League, which gave us a chance to further the fitness of the players, whilst also allowing a bit of formation and positional experimentation.
The win and scoring a few goals is an added bonus as it will no doubt boost the confidence levels
Posted by: Mariner_09, August 10, 2022, 4:12pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from forza ivano
one point that nobody mentioned is that last night allowed us to catch up a bit in the pre season preparations. We got a competitive 90 minutes, outside of the League, which gave us a chance to further the fitness of the players, whilst also allowing a bit of formation and positional experimentation.
The win and scoring a few goals is an added bonus as it will no doubt boost the confidence levels

And it turn allowed us to discover a potential formula to be successful in the league. I agree that it was important for players like Green and Efete to get more minutes into their legs and I think we’ll now start to see the rewards for that in the next few league games.
Posted by: bradzmilne, August 10, 2022, 4:46pm; Reply: 53
What a lovely evening of entertainment... Isn't it great that football is back?!

Dominated a very weak opposition from minute 1, I'd like to think their "league team" is better than that as if not they'll be in bother this season - irrelevant of how they have started. If their GK is still their GK on the 10th of September (we play them at home) I'll be absolutely gobsmacked, no disrespect to the lad but far from being good enough.

Starting the same midfield trio and centre-half pairing was very intelligent by PH, they looked like they are starting to really understand one another and that's only going to aid our performances. Was interesting seeing Glennon on the left wing, for all of Harry's positives, of which there are plenty - I do occasionally think it hinders us as an attacking threat. There is no reason why both + others can't be utilised effectively this year with "horses for courses".

Great evening and fingers crossed for a decent draw

UTM
Posted by: barrattstandman, August 10, 2022, 6:44pm; Reply: 54
Crewe keeper is on loan from Arsenal . Probably 15th choice there !
Posted by: toontown, August 10, 2022, 6:57pm; Reply: 55

Agreed, his kicking was awful too, although to be fair he did pull off an amazing save right at the death to kiernan.
Posted by: Kris2, August 10, 2022, 7:30pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from barrattstandman
Crewe keeper is on loan from Arsenal . Probably 15th choice there !

He's actually appeared on the bench for them a couple of seasons ago and was 3rd choice. Probably not the case anymore.  ;D
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, August 10, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from bradzmilne
What a lovely evening of entertainment... Isn't it great that football is back?!

Dominated a very weak opposition from minute 1, I'd like to think their "league team" is better than that as if not they'll be in bother this season - irrelevant of how they have started. If their GK is still their GK on the 10th of September (we play them at home) I'll be absolutely gobsmacked, no disrespect to the lad but far from being good enough.

Starting the same midfield trio and centre-half pairing was very intelligent by PH, they looked like they are starting to really understand one another and that's only going to aid our performances. Was interesting seeing Glennon on the left wing, for all of Harry's positives, of which there are plenty - I do occasionally think it hinders us as an attacking threat. There is no reason why both + others can't be utilised effectively this year with "horses for courses".

Great evening and fingers crossed for a decent draw

UTM

The game on game improvement, especially of the new signings is the most pleasing thing; from a sluggish final quarter at Orient, to a very up tempo second half on Saturday, to a total physical and footballing domination of the opposition, albeit weak, from start to finish last night.
Posted by: Youngy, August 10, 2022, 11:51pm; Reply: 58
Looking at the Matchday Memories, actually looked like the ref got the 'over the line' decision right.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 1:35am