Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: It Bites, July 6, 2022, 7:27pm
As we head into the first pre season game on Saturday I was just wondering what people's most emotional moment of the season ? Not counting the Play offs obvs

Mine was the speech and minutes silence before the Weymouth game I welled up , the feeling at that game was like no other for me
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 6, 2022, 7:30pm; Reply: 1
Seeing Towm at Torquay, first game since Covid for me
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 6, 2022, 7:44pm; Reply: 2
The generosity of Town fans.

I’m as hard and stony as Newarkmariner but even I had a hint of eye rain.
Posted by: thefish, July 6, 2022, 7:55pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from It Bites
As we head into the first pre season game on Saturday I was just wondering what people's most emotional moment of the season ? Not counting the Play offs obvs

Mine was the speech and minutes silence before the Weymouth game I welled up , the feeling at that game was like no other for me

Taking my lad to his first away game at Notts County (the league game in February) and seeing Town come from behind to score a last minute winner.

Let's face it, it's rare you see them... isn't it?
Posted by: Poojah, July 6, 2022, 7:58pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from It Bites

You’re gonna get some red crosses on account of your “in bound” shenanigans, but it’s a decent shout for a thread this.

Definitely the speech and minutes applause before the Weymouth game. There can’t have been many who didn’t well up for that. That was by far the longest time I’d been away from BP since the first time I had walked through her gates as a seven year old, and with so much having gone on in between, it was impossible not to feel emotional.

But that Wrexham game at home on the Tuesday night is definitely an honourable mention. I nearly didn’t go; it was a shítty day weather-wise, I was up to my eye balls with work and I wasn’t sure if I fancied the three and a half hour return trip knowing I had a 6am start the next day.

But then seeing the constant updates on Twitter about the number of tickets sold, I realised about half four in the afternoon that I couldn’t miss this. So I downed tools, told the wife and kids they wouldn’t be seeing me that night and got my árse in the car, and I was so glad I did. Great game, great atmosphere and seeing BP full with a packed and noisy away end for the first time in so, so long was just brilliant and an emotional reminder of why we do this.

The roar after Max Wright’s goal at the death will live forever in the memory for me.

Other than the the three play-off games, which trump most things I’ve witnessed as a Town fan, I think only Stockport at home gets close to that Wrexham game. Another brilliant and breathtaking match which went against all odds prior to the Sarcevic sending off.

Regrettably missed the Notts Count away game in the league so I can’t add that last minute winner to my list, but it was definitely a season of fantastic and memorable moments, almost like no other following Town. Only 97/98 can even enter the conversation in my memory of following Town.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 6, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 5
Hunts last minute free kick against Barnet, after coming back from 1-3 down.

The sign of a good side is one that keeps going right to the end. Successful sides always seem to score last minute winners and after what had gone before with the village idiot, I knew right then we had a proper team back at BP.

Last minute winners became a theme of the season as we all know.
Posted by: It Bites, July 6, 2022, 8:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Poojah

You’re gonna get some red crosses on account of your “in bound” shenanigans, but it’s a decent shout for a thread this.

Definitely the speech and minutes applause before the Weymouth game. There can’t have been many who didn’t well up for that. That was by far the longest time I’d been away from BP since the first time I had walked through her gates as a seven year old, and with so much having gone on in between, it was impossible not to feel emotional.

But that Wrexham game at home on the Tuesday night is definitely an honourable mention. I nearly didn’t go; it was a shítty day weather-wise, I was up to my eye balls with work and I wasn’t sure if I fancied the three and a half hour return trip knowing I had a 6am start the next day.

But then seeing the constant updates on Twitter about the number of tickets sold, I realised about half four in the afternoon that I couldn’t miss this. So I downed tools, told the wife and kids they wouldn’t be seeing me that night and got my árse in the car, and I was so glad I did. Great game, great atmosphere and seeing BP full with a packed and noisy away end for the first time in so, so long was just brilliant and an emotional reminder of why we do this.

The roar after Max Wright goal at the death will live forever in the memory for me.

Other than the the three play-off games, which trump most things I’ve witnessed as a Town fan, I think only Stockport at home gets close to that Wrexham game. Another brilliant and breathtaking match which went against all odds prior to the Sarcevic sending off.

Regrettably missed the Notts Count away game in the league so I can’t add that last minute winner to my list, but it was definitely a season of fantastic and memorable moments, almost like no other following Town. Only 97/98 can even  enter the conversation in my memory following Town.

I know mate . My sense of humour is a bit off at times
Posted by: It Bites, July 6, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 7

That fund raiser for the play off final was incredible.. it caught me by surprise. Grimsby certainly has some kind people
Posted by: marinerjase, July 6, 2022, 8:33pm; Reply: 8
Good question..a few things stand out..the Barnet home game..a true sense of a new beginning..rid of the past..decent crowd, a feel good atmosphere..so much so that no negative voices were heard despite trailing..that turnaround that day I still feel was significant.

The Wrexham game as mentioned above, had the feel of a proper ‘league’ game..emotionally wise the first home game in the New Year..I missed the Notts C and Halifax home games as couldn’t face going after a family bereavement,  and going back was a bit hard emotionally wise just getting out the house.

Stockport home game -.I’ll never forget that day..re the above my way of coping was to try to do something positive, and with the help of AussieMariner who did it with me - and a quite frankly ridiculous show of support from some I know and plenty I don’t - managed to raise over £3k for MacMillan. Set off from Hull and walked to Blundell Park - 29 miles. We then beat the league leaders , another huge momentum change during and after game - and funniest thing was I had to walk another 3.5 miles home after. 😂

Biggest regret?? Not being able to attend any of the play off games..due to work..watched on tv but just not the same.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 6, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 9
The Wrexham game was mega. A few lads getting leary outside the blundell, good atmosphere, night time, goal down and then an excellent performance. Great night.

Barnet at home was excellent, Torquay away and then Stockport at home. Had everything and then orphan boy at Docks on the evening…

The playoff games will probably never be trumped for me and I’m still contemplating writing a short book about it but league wise the games I’ve suggested probably stick in the memory. Special shout to Weymouth, I’ve never not stepped foot in BP for that long since I first went in 1990…
Posted by: IrishMariner, July 6, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 10
Altrincham away was my first Town game in six years. I was blessed to see all playoff games live but that first 60 minutes  in October was absolutely sensational.

Some brilliant moments from listening to games this year too, I remember being on an unbelievable buzz after Chesterfield away, so many late winners this year lead to joyous Saturday evenings!
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, July 6, 2022, 10:02pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from IrishMariner
Altrincham away was my first Town game in six years. I was blessed to see all playoff games live but that first 60 minutes  in October was absolutely sensational.

Some brilliant moments from listening to games this year too, I remember being on an unbelievable buzz after Chesterfield away, so many late winners this year lead to joyous Saturday evenings!

I’ve said to my misses who I went to the game with that evening that it was one of my favourite league games, we would have beat them 6/7-0 if not for the stupid sending off. Her favourite part was the town fans singing “He’s gonna cry in a minute” to Tony Thompson
Posted by: toontown, July 6, 2022, 10:58pm; Reply: 12
Cant pick just one, I think Barnet at home last minute winner just sneaks Wrexham at home, definitely notts county away was the best away game.
Posted by: DB, July 7, 2022, 4:16am; Reply: 13
Every game we win puts me on a high, but JMD's goal and promotion set me up for over a week.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 7, 2022, 8:29am; Reply: 14
Taking my 6 year old to the Final was a core memory for sure, one i'll tell him about in years to come when he's going to the matches with his friends instead of me!

When JMD scored, he grabbed me, hugged me, and said 'WE did it dad'
It was only his 3rd ever game, and had little interest in his first 2 (although he was a bit younger)

Then throw me a tissue, this Monday, getting in the car to take him to school, he says:
'Dad, when can we go to another stadium to watch Grimsby'
Posted by: devs, July 7, 2022, 9:21am; Reply: 15
Has to be first home game - that was a really special and emotional day
It transcended football
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 7, 2022, 10:25am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Seeing Towm at Torquay, first game since Covid for me

Yeah mine too. After the disappointment of the COVID season and going down, then having a Bromley ticket for the opening match only for it to be postponed...I was actually in two minds about Torquay but then that mad Barnet 4-3 match happened and the next day I booked a very expensive day return to Torquay but it was worth every penny of that because that was the first day in such a long long time that it felt to me like we truly had our club back. I think it might have been the match that the Who's that team we call chant really came into its own too for the first time?
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 7, 2022, 10:53am; Reply: 17
The Weymouth game generally. There were a few times I genuinely worried I’d never step foot in BP again. The win, although the performance wasn’t particularly remarkable, seemed so important, and poignant. Even the weather was great.
Posted by: newarkmariner, July 7, 2022, 5:54pm; Reply: 18

Hard and Stony !!!!! i have a soft gentle inner ;)
i too felt differing emotions throughout the season from joy of being able to sit with my family and friends again at a football match,the utter pride in the way the fans rallied together too raise a tremendous amount off money,and finally yes i cried !!!! with laughter as the great unwashed from Glumford Park took our place in the Bananarama league.UTFM
Posted by: Mayaman, July 7, 2022, 6:13pm; Reply: 19
Second place was me not getting a home shirt.  Will have buggered off abroad by the time the next batch come in.  What else in is on offer in the club shop leaves a little to be desired.

First place was obviously the ticket funding campaign.  Especially, when I read that Wrexham and Notts County fans (among others) chipped in.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 7, 2022, 6:41pm; Reply: 20
Weymouth at home, before during and after the game. Massive day for reflection.

Also seeing other club’s supporters contributing to the appeal the Trust set up to get people to the PO final, very special that.
Posted by: wuffing, July 7, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 21
Town fans in general....never cease to amaze me. Sometimes when at work on a Saturday, listening to the commentary and the Town fans coming through the air waves is enough to set me off with immense pride, massive passion and inevitable, bubbling over emotion.
Posted by: RonMariner, July 8, 2022, 9:34am; Reply: 22
Seeing Max Wight score against Wrexham. A brilliant goal which makes it even more sad that he could not maintain adequate fitness levels. He certainly possess the skill to be a wonderful player.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, July 8, 2022, 5:11pm; Reply: 23
Seeing another guy in Soutrhampton wearing a Mariner’s shirt.  I was on my bike and in traffic so could not stop but shouted out ‘That makes two of us’.

As well as the football, however, the Guardian published five articles in total, three by Jason explaining his football vision and what he wanted to do for the club and the town. Two were by Josh Gowling who came across as a great guy who knows what he is talking about when it comes to football and life in general. Those articles made me proud and will have broight the club and the town to the attention of the nation.

No more ‘The likes of Grimsby..’ but back to being a club that is respected and held in high esteem. The season as a whole made Andy Woodman’s bitter remarks sound even more stupid.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 5:16pm