Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 6, 2022, 1:18pm

Tickets are now on sale, get in quick for your favourite seat/area  ;)

https://www.venuetoolbox.com/grimsby/ASP/selectArea.asp?bookEvent=true&eventID={821C56B6-163F-4014-8CE3-6DB51020E172}&homeArea=home
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 6, 2022, 4:41pm; Reply: 1
Tickets purchased on line as club requested but having done so it’s says tickets must be closed lectern from ticket office. Confused I thought request was to avoid clogging up ticket office while they are dealing with season ticket renewals
Posted by: ginnywings, July 6, 2022, 4:42pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from HerveJosse
Tickets purchased on line as club requested but having done so it’s says tickets must be closed lectern from ticket office. Confused I thought request was to avoid clogging up ticket office while they are dealing with season ticket renewals

As autocorrects go, closed lectern is ace.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 6, 2022, 4:54pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ginnywings

As autocorrects go, closed lectern is ace.

Bet Clinton wishes he’d had one…
Posted by: mariner83, July 7, 2022, 7:13am; Reply: 4
Quoted from HerveJosse

E-ticket?
Posted by: toontown, July 7, 2022, 7:17am; Reply: 5
I just got mine sent to my phone, no going into the office required
Posted by: Hagrid, July 7, 2022, 7:31am; Reply: 6
Missing this one due to a colonoscopy. The joys. Hopefully a good spectacle in front of a good crowd
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 7, 2022, 7:35am; Reply: 7
Quoted from toontown
I just got mine sent to my phone, no going into the office required

How did you do that ? When I ordered mine online the confirmation clearly said they must be collected from ticket   office.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 7, 2022, 7:37am; Reply: 8
Quoted from HerveJosse

How did you do that ? When I ordered mine online the confirmation clearly said they must be collected from ticket   office.

Did you tick the required SMS box? I forgot to do this in the past but just phoned the ticket office and they arranged for it to be sent to my phone
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 7, 2022, 7:40am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Did you tick the required SMS box? I forgot to do this in the past but just phoned the ticket office and they arranged for it to be sent to my phone

Yes I am ticked for sms messages and emails
Posted by: fishyfanny, July 7, 2022, 8:00am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hagrid
Missing this one due to a colonoscopy. The joys. Hopefully a good spectacle in front of a good crowd

Not sure a colonoscopy would be a good spectacle in front of a crowd?

But seriously, hope all goes well.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 7, 2022, 8:23am; Reply: 11
As long as those going bare in mind it’s a pre-season friendly at an early stage.
A big crowd will be great for the players. But it will be a glorified training session.
I suspect a few trialists and possibly even substitutes before 70 mins 😉.  A win of course would be great But let’s just remember it is a friendly.
UTM
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 7, 2022, 8:39am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

I have to have these every 6 month (Although covid's had something to say about that) due to my bowel condition.
Always dread them, but then always seem to say 'wasn't that bad' shortly after.

How much are tickets btw?
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 7, 2022, 9:24am; Reply: 13
Am I alone in still liking to have an actual ticket stub?  

Over the years I've got less and less interested in physical memories and what I saw as clutter.  Stuff like programmes, match-shirts, even old newspaper cuttings that I've collected from my youth have largely gone.  But I've still got a box with all my ticket stubs and still much prefer the feeling of having a physical ticket to an e-ticket.  
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 7, 2022, 9:48am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Civvy at last
As long as those going bare in mind it’s a pre-season friendly at an early stage.
A big crowd will be great for the players. But it will be a glorified training session.
I suspect a few trialists and possibly even substitutes before 70 mins 😉.  A win of course would be great But let’s just remember it is a friendly.
UTM

Friendly against Lincoln?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 7, 2022, 11:07am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Hagrid

Thanks for the information 😖
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 7, 2022, 11:45am; Reply: 16
I've never known a colonoscopy to be a good spectacle in front of anyone, never mind a crowd, and I've had a few!   ;)
Posted by: Garth, July 7, 2022, 3:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid

Hope VAR is present to see fair play
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 7, 2022, 3:19pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Garth

Hope VAR is present to see fair play

We had VAR last season in the National League........................................... Very Auful Refereeing

And we have VAR this year in the Football League....................................... Very Average Refereeing.

Posted by: Garth, July 7, 2022, 4:43pm; Reply: 19
[quote=42]

We had VAR last season in the National League........................................... Very Auful Refereeing

And we have VAR this year in the Football League....................................... Very Average Refereei

I was referring to hospital cameras
Posted by: toontown, July 7, 2022, 6:54pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HerveJosse

Just had the collect from ticket option ticked as normal at the choose how you get them stage and I changed it to via mobile from about 4 options (on 1878 membership card is another, can't remember the final one)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 7, 2022, 9:26pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Garth
[quote=42]

And we have VAR this year in the Football League....................................... Very Average Refereei

I was referring to hospital cameras

Vertically abusing rectums?
Posted by: RonMariner, July 8, 2022, 10:30am; Reply: 22
UTM

Hope it’s not too cold for those going bare.
Posted by: Garth, July 8, 2022, 11:37am; Reply: 23
Quoted from RonMariner

Too friendly for me, can't trust 6 fingered folk
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 16, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RonMariner

A possible high of 38C predicted for Cleethorpes on Tuesday, so won't be a problem.

Think I'll join Dave Moore and wear shorts.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 16, 2022, 9:33pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from promotion plaice

A possible high of 38C predicted for Cleethorpes on Tuesday, so won't be a problem.

Think I'll join Dave Moore and wear shorts.

You’ll still need your big coat on in the Upper. The Blundell Park microclimate is a thing of wonder and constantly runs just above bloody freezing.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 16, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 26
It will be cold at BP on Tuesday…fact!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 16, 2022, 9:56pm; Reply: 27
UTM

It's closer to the end of our pre-season preparations than the beginning. The Lincoln game is 11 days before the season starts and then we jet off to Tenerife. Without looking at the fixtures I would say there is realistically only likely to be one more friendly left after Lincoln for those playing at Orient.
Posted by: Epworth Mariner, July 16, 2022, 10:15pm; Reply: 28
The best part of a colonoscopy is laid with lots of others in the recovery room farting …….and everyone comments on how good that one was……
Posted by: RonMariner, July 17, 2022, 12:52am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Epworth Mariner
The best part of a colonoscopy is laid with lots of others in the recovery room farting …….and everyone comments on how good that one was……

Thanks for that. You learn something every day on the Fishy.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 17, 2022, 1:15am; Reply: 30
At least Lincoln fans have got another reason for not turning up - the locals are too scary/ there's too much dog poo,/ it's too hot etc etc etc
Posted by: gtfc98, July 17, 2022, 7:31am; Reply: 31
Quoted from fishyfanny

Not sure a colonoscopy would be a good spectacle in front of a crowd?

But seriously, hope all goes well.

Can I just say what a username that is.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 17, 2022, 7:44am; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano
At least Lincoln fans have got another reason for not turning up - the locals are too scary/ there's too much dog poo,/ it's too hot etc etc etc

They’ll make some bold claims like the tarmac is unstable on the roads because of the heat…

I don’t think there’ll be a massive crowd to be fair. Be surprised to see 3000…
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 18, 2022, 1:32pm; Reply: 33
Anybody else thinking they may bin this off due to the stupidly high temperatures we're expecting tomorrow??
Posted by: Poojah, July 18, 2022, 1:38pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Anybody else thinking they may bin this off due to the stupidly high temperatures we're expecting tomorrow??

The players, probably….
Posted by: aldi_01, July 18, 2022, 1:47pm; Reply: 35
Whilst the temperatures are extreme, plenty of water breaks are understandable and would actually be extremely good for fitness…and football has been played in higher temperature…
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 18, 2022, 1:54pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

And we have VAR this year in the Football League....................................... Very Average Refereeing.

The thing is that a lot of the Very Awful Referees last season will probably have got a promotion at the end of the season so we'll probably be getting quite a few of the same refs next season as we did last!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 18, 2022, 2:06pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst the temperatures are extreme, plenty of water breaks are understandable and would actually be extremely good for fitness…and football has been played in higher temperature…

While I agree with your logical thinking of plenty of water breaks etc I think they will put the comfort of the fans first.

Although playing in this heat will be a good precursor to training in Tenerife I suppose.

Ive just been out to the outskirts of town and the temperature touched 40 degrees for a few minutes before plummeting back down to 39 degrees, and they reckon tomorrow may be hotter in general across the area.

We shall have to wait and see.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 18, 2022, 2:10pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from aldi_01

Football has and will continue to be played in higher temperatures sure sure, in fact the benefit of Blundell Park is that tomorrow evening it will at least benefit from a gentle Easterly breeze.  I think you could probably argue the opposite though in terms of an good fitness workout.  

The heat and any humidity plus dehydration will drain the players for the following days and reduce their ability to recover as quickly as desired/intended.  That, in the midst of a relatively intense period of training, will increase the risk of injury.

I'd even argue that the actual workout itself will be relatively ineffective as the tempo will be significantly reduced.

Just had a quick look at the latest weather forecast, it looks like Cleethorpes is due to escape the real record breaking temperatures.   I can imagine there will still be a lot of players want to play on the flank in front of the Lower though...

Posted by: aldi_01, July 18, 2022, 2:14pm; Reply: 39

While I agree with your logical thinking of plenty of water breaks etc I think they will put the comfort of the fans first.

Although playing in this heat will be a good precursor to training in Tenerife I suppose.

Ive just been out to the outskirts of town and the temperature touched 40 degrees for a few minutes before plummeting back down to 39 degrees, and they reckon tomorrow may be hotter in general across the area.

We shall have to wait and see.

It’s BP, you’ll still need a coat…
Posted by: DB, July 18, 2022, 3:11pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from diehardmariner

Football has and will continue to be played in higher temperatures sure sure, in fact the benefit of Blundell Park is that tomorrow evening it will at least benefit from a gentle Easterly breeze.  I think you could probably argue the opposite though in terms of an good fitness workout.  

The heat and any humidity plus dehydration will drain the players for the following days and reduce their ability to recover as quickly as desired/intended.  That, in the midst of a relatively intense period of training, will increase the risk of injury.

I'd even argue that the actual workout itself will be relatively ineffective as the tempo will be significantly reduced.

Just had a quick look at the latest weather forecast, it looks like Cleethorpes is due to escape the real record breaking temperatures.   I can imagine there will still be a lot of players want to play on the flank in front of the Lower though...

I agree with you, your posting a lot of common sense. Playing in 33/34 degree heat when it's not necessary seems a bit silly to me. The pitch may be watered but the stands will hold the heat for those who attend. The forecast at the minute is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2652885            (You have to click on Tuesday)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcxbxmgb8#?date=2022-07-19

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 18, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from aldi_01

Much higher, I played in 45 degrees heat and 99% humidity in Belize back when I was much younger and much fitter.

Posted by: Mayaman, July 18, 2022, 6:22pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from 123614

Much higher, I played in 45 degrees heat and 99% humidity in Belize back when I was much younger and much fitter.

Squaddie?  It's the humidity that kills you.  
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 18, 2022, 6:33pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mayaman

Squaddie?  It's the humidity that kills you.  

Yes, 1 R Anglian back in 1982/3.

Posted by: Mayaman, July 18, 2022, 6:39pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from 123614

Yes, 1 R Anglian back in 1982/3.

Nice.  I went there in '87. My first time abroad.  A rude awakening, I can assure you.  Still loved it. I was RAF and we played against the Army.   I've never been so glad to be a sub.
Posted by: Mayaman, July 18, 2022, 6:43pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from 123614

Posted by: Croxton, July 18, 2022, 7:25pm; Reply: 46
Leyton Orient have decided to play their game against Portsmouth tomorrow behind closed doors. They are refunding all tickets after Met Office request for people to make essential journeys only. Also following consultation with their 'Safety Advisory Group'.

Still kicking off at 7.00p.m.  Removes any public liability and insurance issues plus coaching staff can monitor players' condition and reduce playing time if necessary.

The club are streaming the game free to all fans.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 18, 2022, 7:31pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Mayaman

Nice.  I went there in '87. My first time abroad.  A rude awakening, I can assure you.  Still loved it. I was RAF and we played against the Army.   I've never been so glad to be a sub.

So I'm guessing you were up North at Airport Camp, I was down South at Rideau Camp.

Posted by: Abdul19, July 18, 2022, 7:36pm; Reply: 48
Good Qatar practice for McAtee 👍
Posted by: ginnywings, July 18, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I was going to have the fish and chip special tomorrow night, but thought bowlocks to that.

Too hot to be inside eating hot food and drinking tea and coffee.

My 'puter is telling me it is currently 35 degrees at 8pm and supposed to be hotter tomorrow.
Posted by: Mayaman, July 18, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from 123614

So I'm guessing you were up North at Airport Camp, I was down South at Rideau Camp.

Yes.  I was.  
Posted by: Marinerdeano, July 18, 2022, 9:55pm; Reply: 51
If you buy online do you get some sort of e ticket?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 18, 2022, 10:33pm; Reply: 52
Surely this will be called off
Posted by: aldi_01, July 18, 2022, 10:55pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from headingly_mariner

For?
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 18, 2022, 11:11pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from aldi_01

For?

Extreme heat. What's the point? It's a friendly
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 19, 2022, 1:26am; Reply: 55
Quoted from aldi_01
It will be cold at BP on Tuesday…fact!

31C predicted on the BBC website for kick-off dropping to 27C at ten o'clock.

Posted by: fishcake63, July 19, 2022, 6:02am; Reply: 56
who would have thought  a game could be called off at BP for extreme heat
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 19, 2022, 6:34am; Reply: 57
If they restricted ticket sales just to the Upper there would be no chance of anyone over heating.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 6:54am; Reply: 58

Extreme heat. What's the point? It's a friendly

Best cancel that warm weather trip to Tenerife then….
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 19, 2022, 6:56am; Reply: 59

I'd be more than surprised if they don't, there's no point in risking the health of the players for a friendly, they'll be cramping up after 15 minutes in the predicted heat, plus BP is like a bowl, so the temp at the playing the playing surface is likely to be 35+.
Posted by: bedders78, July 19, 2022, 6:57am; Reply: 60
Quoted from 123614

Probably wasn't, as a wet bulb temperature over 35 is fatal and you would have exceeded that by 10 degrees https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/wet-bulb
Posted by: golfer, July 19, 2022, 7:06am; Reply: 61
Anybody know how to turn central heating radiators off ? Costing me a fortune. Temperature last night 187 Centigrade.
Posted by: thornemariner, July 19, 2022, 7:09am; Reply: 62
I went to see Iceland v France in the Women's Euros. They didn't seem to have a problem playing in high temperatures. It would have been about 36c in Rotherham.
Posted by: golfer, July 19, 2022, 7:13am; Reply: 63
Quoted from 123614

Were you drinking the air ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 19, 2022, 8:18am; Reply: 64
Can we cancel this ridiculous World Cup in Qatar while we’re at it
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 8:37am; Reply: 65
There’s a plethora of reasons to not hold a World Cup in Qatar and bizarrely I’d say weather is about 8th on the list…

As for our game, zero reason to call it off…
Posted by: toontown, July 19, 2022, 8:52am; Reply: 66
I know Hurst said they would build up so some players would be doing an hour or so in the later friendlies. However I would think it likely everyone is subbed at half time today, as well as a water break halfway through each half.
Posted by: GrimPol, July 19, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 67
Quoted from promotion plaice

31C predicted on the BBC website for kick-off dropping to 27C at ten o'clock.

La Liga Kicks Off  12 Aug, and finishes in June, from memory a bit warm in Madrid. They seem to cope.
Mind you I would miss the Fish Supper inside unless the aircon is working well. :)   :)
Posted by: GrimPol, July 19, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 68
Quoted from aldi_01
There’s a plethora of reasons to not hold a World Cup in Qatar and bizarrely I’d say weather is about 8th on the list…

Unlike Qatari stadiums BP is an airconned stadium, isn't it?
I wish they would fix the temp dial that's stuck on zero though, it's parky in upper smiths in January. 8)
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 19, 2022, 9:15am; Reply: 69
Some strange comments on this thread. A quick look at the weather gives cloud cover, a gentle breeze and 28-30 degrees. Hot? Yes. Would I like to play in it? No. Reason to even think about calling it off? Not at all.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 70
Quoted from jimgtfc
Some strange comments on this thread. A quick look at the weather gives cloud cover, a gentle breeze and 28-30 degrees. Hot? Yes. Would I like to play in it? No. Reason to even think about calling it off? Not at all.

But someone’s thermometer placed directly in the sun in their back yard says it’s high so it must be the only temperature…bit like when the grass in someone’s back yard is a tad soggy so BP must be unplayable, call it off…
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 71
Quoted from aldi_01

Other than the detrimental impact on our players and the risk to their general well-being?
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 72
Quoted from jimgtfc

This is the thing with the weather forecasts, they're so out of sync with each other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/dn35

If there's no cloud cover and it's at the (by some) predicted temps of 34-35 it's dangerous, needlessly dangerous.  The breeze will make it more tolerable at the time but only marginally.  It won't change the dehydration that will occur and both the risk that brings and then the impact on recovery of players.  

We're 2 weeks away from our opening game of the season, the last thing we need is losing a few days vital training because the players are absolutely copulated from a friendly.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 9:32am; Reply: 73
Quoted from bedders78

Probably wasn't, as a wet bulb temperature over 35 is fatal and you would have exceeded that by 10 degrees https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/wet-bulb

Lol, was you there? I spent 6 months there, doing week long jungle patrols, amongst other things with 80lbs weight on my back.  The temperature was regularly well over 30 degrees  and with humidity averaging out at 90% throughout the year, also taking into account that for around 8 hours each day of those 7 day patrols we were under the canopy then it is fair to say that if pro footballers cannot play for 90 minutes in a temperature of 32 degrees forecast for 8pm tonight, and humidity of 35%, then I don't know what to say.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 9:38am; Reply: 74

This is the thing with the weather forecasts, they're so out of sync with each other.

If there's no cloud cover and it's at the (by some) predicted temps of 34-35 it's dangerous, needlessly dangerous.  The breeze will make it more tolerable at the time but only marginally.  It won't change the dehydration that will occur and both the risk that brings and then the impact on recovery of players.  

We're 2 weeks away from our opening game of the season, the last thing we need is losing a few days vital training because the players are absolutely copulated from a friendly.

This is rubbish, I played a full 90 minute match in Belize where the temperature was well over 30 degrees and humidity in the 90's, I had no ill effects and we didn't have any water breaks, apart from half time.  One thing I will say is that at that time we were 3 months into our tour, so were well acclimatised by then.  BTW, it's the humidity that really gets to you!

Posted by: GrimPol, July 19, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 75
Quoted from bedders78

You haven't been to the central Americas/Caribbean, you get Grilled in the day, and at 6pm you get Steamed.
Played footy in Jamaica, after 10 mins rushing around like an idiot it became walking football.
Mad dogs and English.......... etc.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 76

They’re off to Tenerife tomorrow…a trot out against Lincoln tonight isn’t an issue…
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 10:04am; Reply: 77
Quoted from 123614

well over 30 degrees and humidity in the 90's

Quoted from 123614

45 degrees heat and 99% humidity

Quoted from 123614

It was so cold my own breath froze on my tongue.

Fair enough you've played in testing climates.  That doesn't mean it's safe or beneficial.  
Posted by: male private Nale, July 19, 2022, 10:05am; Reply: 78

Other than the detrimental impact on our players and the risk to their general well-being?

Haha grow a pair will you... Diehard... more like wet lettuce
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 10:11am; Reply: 79
Quoted from aldi_01

They’re off to Tenerife tomorrow…a trot out against Lincoln tonight isn’t an issue…

Tell you what, go for a gentle run when the temp hits 30, never mind 35, for even 30 minutes.  Then let us know the next day on how you feel.  Are you at your best?  I guarantee you won't be.  You'll be drained, dehydrated (if not that over-hydrated) and well off your best.  What's the point in doing that?

They're going to Tenerife for warm weather training.  Not to play football at the warmest part of the day.  The training will be short, sharp and tailored around the heat and climate.  It'll be carefully designed to utilise the conditions to enhance the performance of the players in the coming days, weeks and months.  Playing in extremely warm conditions in a training game environment will serve no benefit at all, in fact it will be detrimental.
Posted by: LH, July 19, 2022, 10:13am; Reply: 80
In two minds: can definitely see the benefits of playing in it but would understand if they did call it off.
Posted by: Tommy, July 19, 2022, 10:17am; Reply: 81
I think if they were going to call it off surely they'd have done so by now. The forecast for today has been the same for several days.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 10:17am; Reply: 82
Quoted from male private Nale

Haha grow a pair will you... Diehard... more like wet lettuce

Oh, ouch! :'(
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 19, 2022, 10:22am; Reply: 83

Tell you what, go for a gentle run when the temp hits 30, never mind 35, for even 30 minutes.  Then let us know the next day on how you feel.  Are you at your best?  I guarantee you won't be.  You'll be drained, dehydrated (if not that over-hydrated) and well off your best.  What's the point in doing that?

They're going to Tenerife for warm weather training.  Not to play football at the warmest part of the day.  The training will be short, sharp and tailored around the heat and climate.  It'll be carefully designed to utilise the conditions to enhance the performance of the players in the coming days, weeks and months.  Playing in extremely warm conditions in a training game environment will serve no benefit at all, in fact it will be detrimental.

I think I’ll trust our sports science team on that one.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 10:29am; Reply: 84
Quoted from jimgtfc

I think I’ll trust our sports science team on that one.

Aye, very true!
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 10:32am; Reply: 85
Quoted from 123614

Lol, was you there? I spent 6 months there, doing week long jungle patrols, amongst other things with 80lbs weight on my back.  The temperature was regularly well over 30 degrees  and with humidity averaging out at 90% throughout the year, also taking into account that for around 8 hours each day of those 7 day patrols we were under the canopy then it is fair to say that if pro footballers cannot play for 90 minutes in a temperature of 32 degrees forecast for 8pm tonight, and humidity of 35%, then I don't know what to say.

Still gets me what some of you lads go through. What's  heartbreaking is to see how young soldiers have lost  their lives in Afghanistan, Vietnam and the Falklands to name but a few .

Posted by: HerveJosse, July 19, 2022, 10:42am; Reply: 86
If they can’t play tonight because it’s to hot why are they going to Tenerife in July for warm weather training ?
Posted by: gobby, July 19, 2022, 11:11am; Reply: 87
Still selling tickets for tonight’s game at 1100! 😎
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 19, 2022, 11:28am; Reply: 88
3,000 tickets sold for this one, 400 to Lincoln fans. I’d say that’s not too bad.
Posted by: HatTrickHero, July 19, 2022, 11:39am; Reply: 89
Quoted from Heisenberg
3,000 tickets sold for this one, 400 to Lincoln fans. I’d say that’s not too bad.

'It's to hot to travel, sit in, and expect good football' is possibly the first credible excuse that Lincoln fans have come up with for not turning out.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, July 19, 2022, 11:45am; Reply: 90
Quoted from HerveJosse
If they can’t play tonight because it’s to hot why are they going to Tenerife in July for warm weather training ?

Because its cooler!!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 11:49am; Reply: 91
Play the game, see ya there…
Posted by: ginnywings, July 19, 2022, 11:53am; Reply: 92
Makes you wonder how the World Cup goes ahead in places like Mexico.

I'm on the seafront at the moment and there is a nice breeze.
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 12:09pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from ginnywings
Makes you wonder how the World Cup goes ahead in places like Mexico.

I'm on the seafront at the moment and there is a nice breeze.
I've got friends who are massive football fans who come from places in the south of Spain where the heat can be intense. It's common for them to play football there on the hard pitches ( non grass) morning ,and evening when temperatures are still 26 degrees plus. I've read as well it's this type of surface which helps develop skills more ( this applies to others as well eg Brazilian players) . Likewise there acclimatised to this sort of heat more than in comparison to others where the weather isn't as hot .

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 12:47pm; Reply: 94

Fair enough you've played in testing climates.  That doesn't mean it's safe or beneficial.  

This is fake, I never posted that, and you put the wrong date at the bottom, today is the 19th, not 20th.

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Rick12
Still gets me what some of you lads go through. What's  heartbreaking is to see how young soldiers have lost  their lives in Afghanistan, Vietnam and the Falklands to name but a few .

And N Ireland, 2 of my mates were killed there.

Posted by: HerveJosse, July 19, 2022, 12:53pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Because its cooler!!

Not so

Cleethorpes 7pm 29c

Tenerife 7pm 31 c
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, July 19, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 97
No doubt it is going to hot for the game .

I know it's only a friendly but I think any suggestion of cancelling the game is unnecessary

For sure certain precautions will necessary. It's an evening KO and the heat whilst still uncomfortable will not be at its peak. And being literally next to the seaside should offer a bit of a breeze.

Make sure the players keep hydrated. Water breaks ?

And I am sure it will impact Hurst decisions re when and how many subs to use.
Posted by: quebec38, July 19, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not so

Cleethorpes 7pm 29c

Tenerife 7pm 31 c

There is also a duty of care for the fans - Tenerife is a training camp as far as I know. The game is going ahead but I’m not bothered either way. I understand why it will, and also why it wouldn’t seeing as it is literally the hottest day in the UK, on record.

See you there.

Posted by: ska face, July 19, 2022, 1:02pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from 123614

This is fake, I never posted that, and you put the wrong date at the bottom, today is the 19th, not 20th.

Who let this bloke loose with a gun ffs?
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from quebec38

There is also a duty of care for the fans - Tenerife is a training camp as far as I know. The game is going ahead but I’m not bothered either way. I understand why it will, and also why it wouldn’t seeing as it is literally the hottest day in the UK, on record.

See you there.

Agreed but to be fair, this was predictable. As I said earlier, Geoff gets a downpour at his house and some light flooding in his garden and suddenly we should be calling the game off…happens every time.

There is a duty of care but if fans are that concerned they don’t have to go, even less so with it being a friendly, much like those folk still seeing a point to wear a mask, it’s their choice. If people feel they don’t want to sit in BP in this heat, they don’t have to.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 1:06pm; Reply: 101
@diehardmariner - if you are going to make up a fake quote from me, make sure you get the date right!

"It was so cold my own breath froze on my tongue.

20.07.2022"

Also I was on exercise in the Arctic circle in Norway, very cold, don't remember the average temperature, but was definitely well below freezing, the only thing that was slightly annoying was once you got out your tent, your breath froze on your moustache, making it an icicle tache.

Posted by: HerveJosse, July 19, 2022, 1:06pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from quebec38

See you there.

Not compulsory for fans to attend a friendly
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2022, 1:07pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from ska face

I’m guessing the same person that let you loose with a keyboard !!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 1:17pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from ska face

I try never to assume anything, but in your case I will make an exception and say that I am fairly sure you have never been in the Army and wouldn't know one end of a gun from the other.  Anyway, if you was, and talked crap like you do on here, then you wouldn't have lasted very long at all.    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

Posted by: rancido, July 19, 2022, 1:19pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Hagrid

Watch the monitor and enjoy the spectacle of your own colonoscopy !! At least you can say you have looked up your own ought!! lol.
Seriously, I hope all goes well. I have lost count of how many I have had since the endoscopy unit was opened in 1998 - then previously the innumerable sigmoidascopes endured since I was diagnosed with Crohn's Colitis in 1981.
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 19, 2022, 1:20pm; Reply: 106
https://t.co/sRhN0wWtfG

I will be there and will be taking a jumper
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 1:23pm; Reply: 107
I've had a couple, the latest one I had was fairly uncomfortable, I'm sure the guy was trying to ram it right up to my mouth, he was pushing with short hard pushes.  Yuk, sorry for my English/grammar, used to be really good at school but 62 years later, not so good.
Posted by: Tommy, July 19, 2022, 1:29pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from HerveJosse
https://t.co/sRhN0wWtfG

I will be there and will be taking a jumper

"To ensure that everyone at the game stays safe and hydrated, stewards will be distributing 4,000 free bottles of water to supporters upon entry. Both the Club and Lincoln City will be sharing these costs."

Bloody marvellous work. Well done to both clubs.
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 1:38pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from 123614
I'm sure the guy was trying to ram it right up to my mouth, he was pushing with short hard pushes.

When the Fishy suddenly begins to transform into an erotic novel…
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 19, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from 123614
@diehardmariner - if you are going to make up a fake quote from me, make sure you get the date right!

"It was so cold my own breath froze on my tongue.

20.07.2022"

Also I was on exercise in the Arctic circle in Norway, very cold, don't remember the average temperature, but was definitely well below freezing, the only thing that was slightly annoying was once you got out your tent, your breath froze on your moustache, making it an icicle tache.

It was a (crap) jo...

Ah forget it!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 1:48pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from 123614

I try never to assume anything, but in your case I will make an exception and say that I am fairly sure you have never been in the Army and wouldn't know one end of a gun from the other.  Anyway, if you was, and talked crap like you do on here, then you wouldn't have lasted very long at all.    NEVER ASSUME ANYTHING!

Met plenty of ‘squadies’ that really shouldn’t have ever been allowed a weapon…same in any job…
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 19, 2022, 1:58pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from aldi_01

Met plenty of ‘squadies’ that really shouldn’t have ever been allowed a weapon…same in any job…

Only 2 things frighten me during my service, an officer with a map,and a sailor with a rifle.
Posted by: quebec38, July 19, 2022, 2:11pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from HerveJosse

Not compulsory for fans to attend a friendly

No it’s not, the same as it’s not compulsory for fans to attend any football game.

I completely agree with you, and I understand why the game will go ahead. Just saying I could also understand why if it had been changed.

Remember the game at Southend last year when fans were rightfully outraged that it wasn’t cancelled until late in the day? Well this is similar, just the extreme opposite end of the scale.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 19, 2022, 2:18pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from aldi_01

Met plenty of ‘weapons’ that had jobs too.

I worry for this generation of kids. The majority don’t know how to communicate! Unless it’s done for them they haven’t a clue at all

(Bejesus I sound old!)
Posted by: DB, July 19, 2022, 2:29pm; Reply: 115
I hope all fans have a safe journey to and from the match, stay hydrated ( water or forms of liquid ) and enjoy the game. Apart from match practice etc. there's little to play for but I still hope that we win and have no injuries.

UTM
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 19, 2022, 2:29pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from Poojah

When the Fishy suddenly begins to transform into an erotic novel…

Lol

(thumbup1)
Posted by: Oly1987, July 19, 2022, 2:43pm; Reply: 117
just picked up my tickets, nothing mentioned about any potential cancellation of the match
Posted by: wigworld, July 19, 2022, 2:49pm; Reply: 118
https://gtfc.co.uk/club-statement-tonights-game/
Posted by: TonySmith, July 19, 2022, 3:35pm; Reply: 119
Living here in the US I've seen plenty of games in the sort of heat you'll have at Blundell Park tonight. There is no question that the heat saps energy and forces the players to take everything a little slower than they would on a cold Tuesday in November, but played sensibly and with plenty of fluids available, there is absolutely no reason that fit professional soccer players can't get through it. If that kind of heat prevented games from going ahead, the MLS teams in Florida or Texas, for example, would hardly ever be able to play a game!
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 3:38pm; Reply: 120
Quoted from TonySmith
Living here in the US I've seen plenty of games in the sort of heat you'll have at Blundell Park tonight. There is no question that the heat saps energy and forces the players to take everything a little slower than they would on a cold Tuesday in November, but played sensibly and with plenty of fluids available, there is absolutely no reason that fit professional soccer players can't get through it. If that kind of heat prevented games from going ahead, the MLS teams in Florida or Texas, for example, would hardly ever be able to play a game!

When I went to see Orlando City at half time, which was around 8:45pm it was 38 still…game wasn’t fast but went ahead as normal and steward offering free water…whilst I’m aware they get this weather most of the year, it hasn’t needed the outcry from some on here…

It’s BP, it’ll still be cold…
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 4:26pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from TonySmith
I remember seeing footage from USA 1994 when they played the world cup there. They introduced drinks breaks then regularly during each half. May happen tonight as well when Grimsby play.

Posted by: DB, July 19, 2022, 4:42pm; Reply: 122
Any commentary for tonight's game or just towns Twitter?
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 19, 2022, 4:46pm; Reply: 123
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QftnPNjQXs

Good old Mark E Smith, he had a song for every occasion.
Posted by: Neilo83, July 19, 2022, 5:12pm; Reply: 124
Gang of their fans just ran into freshney place causing grief, glass and clothes from a shop all over the place, some shutters had to come down pretty sharp before security ushered them out and locked the main doors.
Posted by: marinerjase, July 19, 2022, 5:16pm; Reply: 125
How embarrassing..everyone knows no one goes to Freshney Place anymore.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 19, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Neilo83
Gang of their fans just ran into freshney place causing grief, glass and clothes from a shop all over the place, some shutters had to come down pretty sharp before security ushered them out and locked the main doors.

I am by no means a hard man, but I SO wish I had bumped into some Lincoln kids doing this!
Posted by: pizzzza, July 19, 2022, 5:30pm; Reply: 127
Got off at the wrong stop lads?  ;D
Posted by: Neilo83, July 19, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Heisenberg

I am by no means a hard man, but I SO wish I had bumped into some Lincoln kids doing this!

Yeah bit of a strange thing to do, don’t know what started it only see the tail end of it.
Heard it from the car park and walked into freshney to a crowd of people taking cover in the corridor bit, walked out to broken glass everywhere and clothes been pulled over, see security ushering then out and locking the doors whilst they was singing some excrement Lincoln songs.
See them all leaving the p&m a bit earlier but didnt put 2 and 2 together, wondered why such a big crowd was in the p&m.
Bit early in the day for them, they don’t usually rock up till half time.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 5:39pm; Reply: 129
Imagine thinking you’re big and hard and wandering through Freshney Place…battered by a single mum coming out of Poundland
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from aldi_01
Imagine thinking you’re big and hard and wandering through Freshney Place…battered by a single mum coming out of Poundland
Sad to see this pack aggressive loutish behaviour. I doubt many would act like this individually eg going into a shopping centre and smashing things up.

Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 19, 2022, 6:38pm; Reply: 131
And all reported on here hours before the Tellywag even get a sniff of it. Typical
Posted by: BeijingMariner, July 19, 2022, 6:45pm; Reply: 132

Grimsby Town F.C.
@officialgtfc
·

📝 This evening's #GTFC XI: Crocombe, Efete, Waterfall, Pearson, Glennon, Clifton, Green, Morris, Maguire-Drew, McAtee, Orsi.

Subs: Battersby, Holohan, Wearne, Khouri, Cropper, Tomlinson, Braithwaite, Goundry, Essel.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Neilo83

In the 80’s firms would target away shops en mass to steal designer gear to be a well dressed hooligan.
Given that it was Lincoln fans I fully expect confirmation that the  shop was Primark. !!

UTM

Posted by: Neilo83, July 19, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 134

In the 80’s firms would target away shops en mass to steal designer gear to be a well dressed hooligan.
Given that it was Lincoln fans I fully expect confirmation that the  shop was Primark. !!

UTM

Pretty much outside there to be fair 😂
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 19, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 135
I’ve never given aggro at football, and I doubt I ever would, but I have sympathy for people who get caught up in the emotions at a game, especially against rivals. Thinking you’re top boy before a pre season friendly, away from the ground, at a place where very few people will have anything to do with today’s game is just weird.
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 136
Pitch looks in excellent nick. £30k spent on it in the summer apparently.

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1549442682845634560?cxt=HHwWgIC97aT63IArAAAA
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 19, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from BeijingMariner

Grimsby Town F.C.
@officialgtfc
·

📝 This evening's #GTFC XI: Crocombe, Efete, Waterfall, Pearson, Glennon, Clifton, Green, Morris, Maguire-Drew, McAtee, Orsi.

Subs: Battersby, Holohan, Wearne, Khouri, Cropper, Tomlinson, Braithwaite, Goundry, Essel.

No Amos.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Poojah
Pitch looks in excellent nick. £30k spent on it in the summer apparently.

https://twitter.com/LincolnCity_FC/status/1549442682845634560?cxt=HHwWgIC97aT63IArAAAA

To be fair to Ian Flemming. It does look in good shape 😉
Posted by: buckstown, July 19, 2022, 7:33pm; Reply: 139
I know Maher is injured but do we have another centre half?
Posted by: Wiley2405, July 19, 2022, 7:45pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from Heisenberg

No Amos.

Amos took a nasty looking knock about 2 minutes after he came on Saturday so probably that. Looked like he struggled for the rest of the game.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, July 19, 2022, 7:57pm; Reply: 141
If you are at the game how hot does it feel? Any sea breeze in the Upper Youngs (do we call it the Upper Mi Energi now?)
Posted by: ginnywings, July 19, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from buckstown
I know Maher is injured but do we have another centre half?

Goundry.

Suspect we will be signing another one when we can.

Green can play there if needed.
Posted by: buckstown, July 19, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 143
Cheers
Posted by: Maringer, July 19, 2022, 8:18pm; Reply: 144
Just driven in Clee and the car thermometer says 33 degrees, even at twenty past eight. I can believe it, too. Stay hydrated, folks!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 19, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Maringer
Just driven in Clee and the car thermometer says 33 degrees, even at twenty past eight. I can believe it, too. Stay hydrated, folks!

Coningsby officially the hottest place in Britain ever today. 40.4 degrees. Almost 105 in old money.
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Maringer

Just been out in the car myself; cooled down a bit where I am though…

[img]https://car-images.bauersecure.com/wp-images/884/nohcir-008.jpg[/img]
Posted by: DB, July 19, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 147
HT  0-0
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, July 19, 2022, 8:38pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Mayaman

I spent 2 months in Belize in 2002 training for Jungle warfare, great place but bloody humid!! Raul’s Rose Garden was good for a couple of beers… or so I hear 🙄😬

A week in Cancun during spring break rounded off a great few months training!

I was 2 Royal Anglian!
Posted by: supertown, July 19, 2022, 8:43pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Rick12
Looks a nice motor. What model is it?.

🙄
Posted by: gtfc98, July 19, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 150
Can someone please confirm that Dave Moore is wearing his big coat?
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 8:46pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from supertown

🙄
Apologies. Shouldn't of really put that. Football has to come first in this thread over any cars no matter how nice they look. Now deleted the post.

Posted by: supertown, July 19, 2022, 8:52pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Rick12
Apologies. Shouldn't of really put that. Football has to come first in this thread over any cars no matter how nice they look. Now deleted the post.

Rick, the picture of the car was clearly a joke , that’s a top of the range motor that Poojah obviously does not drive/own
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 8:56pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from supertown

Rick, the picture of the car was clearly a joke , that’s a top of the range motor that Poojah obviously does not drive/own
Thanks Supertown . I know he had a business or something of that ilk so I wouldn't of put it past him to own a decent motor though.

Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 8:56pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from supertown

Quite. It’s leased and I have my own driver.

How’s the game going, by the way?
Posted by: supertown, July 19, 2022, 9:02pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Poojah

😂
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from supertown

😂
To be fair that made me smile as well 😉.

Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 9:07pm; Reply: 157
More drinks breaks in this match than a Mike Newell training session.
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 158
Attendance pretty much in line with a mid-week Fenty era league game. Really good turnout.

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1549485785216327692
Posted by: chaos33, July 19, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 159
Anything of note happened?
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2022, 9:14pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Poojah

Careful John , we wouldn’t want it scratched now would we ? 😉
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from chaos33

Poojah posted a pic of a Bugatti Chiron.

Rick accused Poojah of fronting an organised crime gang.

Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 19, 2022, 9:15pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Poojah
Attendance pretty much in line with a mid-week Fenty era league game. Really good turnout.

Including the number from Lincoln as well (tarmac melting on A46)

Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 163

We’re disorganised as fúck to be fair mate, but the boys get the job done.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 19, 2022, 9:20pm; Reply: 164
Wasn't Bugatti Chiron a trialist during the summer of 2004?
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from Abdul19

You of all people should know.
Posted by: Rick12, July 19, 2022, 9:24pm; Reply: 166

Not bad Knut's 🙂. On a side note love the film Goodfellas though 😉.

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2022, 9:25pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from Poojah

To be fair to ol’ blue balls, he’d have locked in those 344 Lincoln fans until they fingered whoever had smashed up Freshney Place this afternoon.
Posted by: Poojah, July 19, 2022, 9:25pm; Reply: 168
Highest pre-season attendance in a quarter of a century. I presume the last one would have been Leeds in the 90s? I have the match ball from that game.

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1549489726763270144
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 19, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Poojah
Highest pre-season attendance in a quarter of a century. I presume the last one would have been Leeds in the 90s? I have the match ball from that game.

I remember Hearts around 97/98, a good 7000-ish in that day……
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 19, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from chaos33

Yep 3.5k and no Fenty
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 19, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 171
Loads at the Dundee one what year was that 2003?
Posted by: bawarmy, July 19, 2022, 9:47pm; Reply: 172
Wasn’t the Dundee or Hearts  games around 2000 season? 22 years ago?
Posted by: Abdul19, July 19, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 173
Hearts was summer 97 I think, AB return.
Posted by: Maringer, July 19, 2022, 9:53pm; Reply: 174
Hearts and Dundee both in 1997/98, I think?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2022, 9:54pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from Maringer
Hearts and Dundee both in 1997/98, I think?

Oh Deborah, do you recall -  it was actually 2000

Well, Dundee was. Buckley was gone shortly after that wasn’t he?

Sir Alan was particularly angry that night in July. I remember filing out of the back of the Main Stand and he was spitting feathers at some suit in the players’ lounge.
Posted by: spartacus, July 19, 2022, 10:00pm; Reply: 176
Well I've read all 18 pages. So did anything actually happen in the match?!?
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, July 19, 2022, 10:06pm; Reply: 177
Quoted from spartacus
Well I've read all 18 pages. So did anything actually happen in the match?!?

Well done. You’ve unlocked the match report sponsored by GTFC Twitter:

Grimsby Town and Lincoln City could not be separated as their pre-season Lincolnshire derby ended goalless at Blundell Park.

The Mariners’ latest friendly represented a step up in opposition as the match against the League One Imps followed summer victories over Cleethorpes Town, Hull City U23 and Alfreton Town.

And although they were unable to force a breakthrough over the 90 minutes in extremely hot conditions in Cleethorpes, Town had the better chances and could be happy with another good team performance.

Kieran Green made his first appearance for the Mariners after signing from Halifax Town last week.  He came into the midfield in place of Gavan Holohan in what was the only change to the XI which started the game at Alfreton on Saturday.

Max Crocombe began in goal, with Michee Efete, Luke Waterfall, Shaun Pearson and Anthony Glennon (née Driscoll-Glennon) forming the defence.  Jordan Maguire-Drew, Green, Bryn Morris and Harry Clifton were the midfielders, with John McAtee supporting Danilo Orsi in attack.

Holohan was named as a substitute, along with Ollie Battersby, Stephen Wearne, Evan Khouri, Jordan Cropper, Harvey Tomlinson, Aaron Braithwaite, Jaz Goundry and Edwin Essel.

Lincoln included former Town striker Charles Vernam (scab) in their starting line-up, with Tom Hopper and ex-Scunthorpe attacker Hakeeb Adelakun also among those looking for goals in the Imps’ side.

The visitors were the first to threaten, as Tashan Oakley-Booth found Adelakun but his low drive from a narrow angle was pushed away by Crocombe at his near post.

Town’s first opportunity came soon afterwards, with Lincoln keeper Jordan Wright denying Clifton from close range.

McAtee sent a chip just wide on nine minutes after a run by Efete down the right,  then five minutes later, Town had the ball in the net through Clifton but the offside flag had already gone up against the winger.

Vernam tried his luck with a low effort which was blocked after a spell of Lincoln possession, before a foul on the former Mariner gave the away side a free kick midway inside the Town half but they were unable to profit from it.

The game stopped for a drinks break on 22 minutes and Town would have been happy with what had been a confident start against opponents from a division higher.

Their best chance of the evening so far came six minutes later when McAtee showed good pace to get down the left and looked up to pull the ball back for Maguire-Drew, whose strike was tipped over the bar for a corner by Wright.

Vernam sent a header away from goal after meeting a chipped cross from Adelakun, before a low shot by Max Sanders went narrowly wide of the target as Lincoln started to apply more pressure.

So far, the visitors had looked to play a patient, possession-based game while the Mariners aimed to operate at a higher tempo and attack at pace.

McAtee sent a speculative snap-shot wide from distance, then Morris was also off-target with a low effort from 25 yards.

At the other end, a free kick from Vernam was deflected into the path of centre-back Paudie O’Connor but he could only steer a diving header wide.

One added minute was played and O’Connor’s chance proved to be the last one of the half as the teams headed into the dressing rooms with the score still goalless.

No changes were made before the restart and Pearson was in the right place to block a low cross from Vernam as the visitors were the first to threaten.

A cross from Clifton was cleared at the other end, before Efete blocked a curling shot from Sanders.

Green was spoken to by the referee after a poor challenge on TJ Eyoma which left the Lincoln man needing treatment.  He was eventually passed fit to continue and the resulting free kick was sent wide by Sanders.

Green was replaced by Holohan soon afterwards as Town made the first substitution, then a chance came for the hosts when the ball fell for Orsi but he was unable to get enough on it to seriously trouble keeper Wright.

Another opportunity came on the hour when Efete was pulled down by Vernam (filthy scab), although Maguire-Drew’s free kick was headed clear.

Oakley-Brown was replaced by Ted Bishop in Lincoln’s first change, with Town now turning up the pressure.  McAtee ran onto a though-ball from Morris but he was stopped by a good recovery challenge, then McAtee was involved again soon afterwards as his low strike was stopped by the keeper.

The game had developed more of a competitive edge after a series of tasty challenges from both sides and it was the Mariners who were pushing forward in search of an opening goal as the 70-minute mark approached.

A McAtee cross from the right was deflected onto the bar and out for a corner as the home side continued to push forward and another opportunity came when the flag-kick was only half-cleared but again, Wright was not tested in the Lincoln goal.

A penalty appeal was waved away by the referee after McAtee went down under a challenge inside the box.

A corrner came at the other end after a good challenge by Efete but Vernam’s delivery from the flag was poor and Town cleared.

Lincoln boss Mark Kennedy made several changes when the game stopped for a drinks break on 75 minutes, before Cropper, Wearne and Khouri came on for Town with seven minutes to go as Pearson, Morris and Clifton made way.

One of the away subs, Charley Kendall, forced a good save from Crocombe as Lincoln pushed forward with three minutes remaining. Poojah has a delivery at 0800 at Fiddler’s Beach. Bring tools. Code word is neilwebb - all lower case.

One added minute was played at the end of the game and with no further chances for either side, they were both forced to settle for a draw.

Nevertheless, it was another excellent run-out for the Mariners as they continue to step up preparations for the big League Two kick-off at Leyton Orient on July 30.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 19, 2022, 10:12pm; Reply: 178
Easy really…town looked ok but can see why Hurst wants a couple more. We’ll be solid defensively and in the middle of the park.

Lincoln were a bit basic, Vernam probably saw the game pass him by and probably highlighted why we didn’t bottom ourselves to try and get him back.

Lincoln’s right hand side is decent but seemed to give up when the game got a bit niggly…
Posted by: spartacus, July 19, 2022, 10:15pm; Reply: 179
Cheers Knut. Don't usually need to use other social media for match updates. Fishy is usually all I need.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 19, 2022, 10:20pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from Poojah

success breeds success - that represents another £20 -£30k in the coffers they wouldn't have budgeted for

ps Knut - thanks for the report but you might want to edit it before plod sees it and feels Poojah's collar  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: LH, July 19, 2022, 10:31pm; Reply: 181
It means nothing but we edged it. A Lincoln fan at work reckons they’ll be down this season and I can sort of see why tonight. Really tough conditions to even sit in to watch it first half let alone play.
Posted by: mariner91, July 19, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 182
I think a tenner on them to go down would be a good bet.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, July 20, 2022, 7:47am; Reply: 183
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed but to be fair, this was predictable. As I said earlier, Geoff gets a downpour at his house and some light flooding in his garden and suddenly we should be calling the game off…happens every time.

There is a duty of care but if fans are that concerned they don’t have to go, even less so with it being a friendly, much like those folk still seeing a point to wear a mask, it’s their choice. If people feel they don’t want to sit in BP in this heat, they don’t have to.

I agree with the aspect of fans choice, but the Club still have a duty of care regardless. There will be a large number of fans who would choose to attend a game regardless of conditions, be it extreme heat, sub-zero temperatures or anything in between and around the edges. Although they've made that personal choice, if something were to happen and the Club hadn't adequately taken precautions to mitigate all risks - which could include postponing fixtures - they're not fulfilling their legal obligations.

I don't know anywhere near enough about the full workings of HSE but I would imagine that in the event we fell foul of our obligations the possibility exists that sanctions could include not having fans present at games for a period of time. I'm sure whatever sanctions where placed upon us they wouldn't be helpful towards our cause.

Obviously for last night this is a moot point as the game went ahead but for future scenarios that the Club find themselves in similar scenarios I wouldn't have thought the Club effectively telling fans not to come if they're worried about things stands up to scrutiny of applying duty of care to fans.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, July 20, 2022, 8:38am; Reply: 184
Quoted from ginnywings

Coningsby officially the hottest place in Britain ever today. 40.4 degrees. Almost 105 in old money.

I work there, my office on Monday was like an oven so decided to book yesterday off. The kids happened to be ill yesterday so we pratted about in paddling pool, had a water fight etc. Looks like that turned out to be a good decision!!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 20, 2022, 8:50am; Reply: 185
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I spent 2 months in Belize in 2002 training for Jungle warfare, great place but bloody humid!! Raul’s Rose Garden was good for a couple of beers… or so I hear 🙄😬

A week in Cancun during spring break rounded off a great few months training!

I was 2 Royal Anglian!

Good Morning Poacher from this very old Viking 07.  I never got to to visit Raul’s Rose Garden, as I was based down south in Rideau Camp, but I heard a few stories about it when we got back to the UK.

Posted by: mariner83, July 20, 2022, 9:00am; Reply: 186
Played Hearts & Aberdeen in 97
[url=https://londonhearts.com/scores//games/199707291.html]https://londonhearts.com/scores//games/199707291.html[/url]

[url=https://aberdeen-fc.com/aberdeen-fc-tour-of-england-1997/tour-of-england-1997.html#gsc.tab=0]https://aberdeen-fc.com/aberdeen-fc-tour-of-england-1997/tour-of-england-1997.html#gsc.tab=0[/url]

I think one of them was pretty cheap to get into (£1 ? )
Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2022, 10:27am; Reply: 187
Quoted from mariner83
[url=https://londonhearts.com/scores//games/199707291.html]https://londonhearts.com/scores//games/199707291.html[/url]

[url=https://aberdeen-fc.com/aberdeen-fc-tour-of-england-1997/tour-of-england-1997.html#gsc.tab=0]https://aberdeen-fc.com/aberdeen-fc-tour-of-england-1997/tour-of-england-1997.html#gsc.tab=0[/url]

Ah, I remembered we had outplayed two Scottish clubs that pre-season, just thought that Dundee was one of them.
Posted by: Poojah, July 20, 2022, 10:31am; Reply: 188
Quoted from Maringer

Ah, I remembered we had outplayed two Scottish clubs that pre-season, just thought that Dundee was one of them.

Dundee was a few years later - the summer of 2000 and the return of Ivano.  
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 20, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 189
Quoted from mariner83

I went to both and the thing I vividly remember about the Aberdeen one was that Buckley took Jack Lester off really early because he was about to get sent off for slapping one of the opposition players across the face!
Posted by: Gaffer58, July 20, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 190
Quoted from Heisenberg

I went to both and the thing I vividly remember about the Aberdeen one was that Buckley took Jack Lester off really early because he was about to get sent off for slapping one of the opposition players across the face!

Then Jack fell down and appealed for a penalty!
Posted by: Poojah, July 20, 2022, 12:02pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from Abdul19

Happy Abdul day…

https://mobile.twitter.com/onthisGTFCday/status/1549661546384596992
Posted by: Mallyner, July 21, 2022, 9:56am; Reply: 192
With apologies if anybody else has posted this, but the highlights of the game are now on You Tube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFqOEbmPgg
Print page generated: May 4, 2024, 8:44pm