Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, July 5, 2022, 7:29pm
Preseason interview https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ck15yy

Also from cheapside preseason fun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUk64n99ww4
Posted by: Poojah, July 5, 2022, 7:58pm; Reply: 1
“Paul, you told us previously that John McAtee would need an operation on his shoulder…”

[img]https://c.tenor.com/qfIy_dl7ww0AAAAd/paul-hurst-grimsby.gif[/img]
Posted by: GhostDan, July 5, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 2
Do you think PH was just being coy on McAtee contract, or was there a tinge of acceptance that we’ll probably loose him at the end of the coming season?
Posted by: Wiley2405, July 5, 2022, 8:03pm; Reply: 3
Was just about to post the same, defiantly seems a Hurst ploy as surely he would have had it before going back into training. Big bonus and a work of magic if so. Should have surely been asked in the interview?
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 5, 2022, 8:09pm; Reply: 4
Surprised he said he's still looking for 6 new players
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 5, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 5
Interesting also that Scannell has already signed a new deal and yet no official notice on the website. Pleased that we after 6 more as 5 from 7 rule with subs from this season
Posted by: Poojah, July 5, 2022, 8:21pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Keeper, three midfielders and then two forwards / strikers. Doesn’t want to be any less than that, does it? You could certainly make an argument for another centre half, too.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 5, 2022, 8:22pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Why? He’s clearly two or three central midfielders short plus another striking option, another keeper and probably another wide player.
Posted by: acko338, July 5, 2022, 8:26pm; Reply: 8
Good honest appraisal.

6 or 7 still needed to make a strong squad to go to January.

Wants full time players, but not scared to dip into loans if loanees are going to improve the team.

Still as much a level headed realist as ever.

Bottom line is he wants some player yes's.

Honest why players have gone, and knows he needs a Fox replacement.

Good interview.
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, July 5, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from GhostDan
Do you think PH was just being coy on McAtee contract, or was there a tinge of acceptance that we’ll probably loose him at the end of the coming season?

I was thinking this also, could just be that he’s accepting that we’ll lose him at the end of the year. However, knowing Hurst he’ll sign for an extra year next week

Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, July 5, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Why? He’s clearly two or three central midfielders short plus another striking option, another keeper and probably another wide player.

I'm not complaining, I just didn't imagine that many. I thought probably 2 CMs and a keeper and we'd be done
Posted by: scott, July 5, 2022, 9:24pm; Reply: 11
I think 6 players sounds about right, and most will agree I think.. I don't think Hurst sounded keen on loans for the obvious reasons but did say that the market can offer good options and potentially better players that you could otherwise sign. Maybe we will get a loan keeper or something at the very least. I can't see any youngsters being first choice in the side but will expect cup games and the odd game some will be utilised in some way or another. I guess it's down to them to take the opportunity when they get it.

Mcatee - Could go either way, i cannot imagine anybody coming in with a bid but you never know, I don't think hes at the point where he is going to start in the championship for example but perhaps one of the big spenders in League 1 or 2. My guess is he will stay here for 1 more season and even if he has an average season I think he will move on to league 1.

PH himself sounds happy, I love the guy. Surely he must have had offers himself over the summer to consider. I would liked him to have been asked about his contract and perhaps more about wider backroom staff as I expect they will grow.

Posted by: RonMariner, July 5, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from scott

Mcatee - Could go either way, i cannot imagine anybody coming in with a bid but you never know, I don't think hes at the point where he is going to start in the championship for example but perhaps one of the big spenders in League 1 or 2. My guess is he will stay here for 1 more season and even if he has an average season I think he will move on to league 1.

He might be in L 1 with us.....
Posted by: scott, July 5, 2022, 10:01pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from RonMariner

He might be in L 1 with us.....

The dream
Posted by: acko338, July 5, 2022, 10:38pm; Reply: 14
Once the squad players have been recruited, then one thing that may need resolving is what happens to those fringe players out of the 18 needed for match days?

Can players get real competitive reserve games to keep them mstch fit, or returning to fitness after any injuries?

Surely there must be other teams with similar problems who will want to play games, even behind closed doors?

Perhaps when the new training facilities are complete and open, there could be an opportunity for fans to see any games of this type, with a minimum entry fee.

Shift and weekend workers would have chances to see the players if they struggle to attend normal league games.

Also, chances for youth players to take part in harder and more competitive situations, alongside players who are perhaps helping them to make stronger progression during their youth or early professional contracts.
Posted by: DB, July 6, 2022, 6:23am; Reply: 15
Quoted from scott

The dream

The dream is being back in the championship ( or Division 2 as those of a certain age know it ).

Posted by: scott, July 6, 2022, 6:34am; Reply: 16
Quoted from DB

The dream is being back in the championship ( or Division 2 as those of a certain age know it ).

Fair point! I'm 32 and started following town the year Gateshead knocked us out the play offs. For me the actual dream is just being a stable league club!
Posted by: DB, July 6, 2022, 6:34am; Reply: 17
I thought Hurst's interview was very good. He didn't duck any questions apart from not confirming the new keeper coach, but perhaps he does not think announcements are part of his job description.

He knows who he has got and, like most of us, was pleased to keep the promotion-winning players he wanted. He knows where he wants those 6 additional players and does not seem to be panicked into filling the places quickly.

He's building another team for promotion with a clear positive approach. A totally different interview when he came in and was asked about his view of the club "It's a mess". Well both he and the club have come a long way since those dark days.

Incidentally, on viewing the pitches at Cheapside, on the vid, it was good to see how well they looked. A credit to the ground staff.
Posted by: A.l.f., July 6, 2022, 6:55am; Reply: 18
He’s relaxed, excited and comfortable with where we are as a club.  Another great interview and pleased that he is our manager and well respected among other managers of other clubs.  Roll on Saturday, when we have the opportunity again to thank the lads for last season and encourage them and the new boys for the coming season.
Posted by: male private Nale, July 6, 2022, 8:32am; Reply: 19
Scannell must be on a retained sickness pay or something similar as hurst stated he hoped to get back to full fitness to earn a playing contract until end of season.

Emotions aside with Mcatee , if he hits ground running in open month there is an outside chance we could lose him by 1st September. I think it’s clear the lad won’t commit and will want to keep his options open seeing what fox has commanded as a free agent. Therefore from our point of view we need to capitalise on him and hope he plays well into the winter period and we can get some fee in January. The worst outcome is he walks away for nothing at end of season.

Very positive interview though.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, July 6, 2022, 9:30am; Reply: 20
For those of you who can't / unable to listen to the Interview, here is brief summary on the subjects.

On the new signings

Really happy to get the first five over the line. He is hoping for ANOTHER SIX players, dropping his priorities as a mobile strong goal scoring centre forward, a couple of midfielders (namely a replacement for Ben Fox) and a goalkeeper. he comments as a manager this is the most players that he's ever kept on and that he feels the club are in a good place. Next signing could be this week or next week, confirms he is in dialogue with a few players.

Erico Sousa

Out of all of the released players, Sousa was the closest to earning a new deal but was completely honest with him that he couldn't promise him regular football next season. Says Sousa was complimentary on his time at the club and said some really nice things, PH feels he will have lots of clubs after him and he will do well somewhere else.

John McAtee

Decided against an operation, initially told he needed one until looked into and thinks he can get bye without having it. No news on a new contract, no offers have been made for him although some have asked the question. Says John is happy at Town and he is focused on doing well for Town, feels the best place for him is working under him and Doigy as they know him well. Challenging him to go on and do well in League Two now.

Sean Scannell

PH has confirmed that Scannell has signed a new contract, feels people have been misunderstood from Scanz' recent interview in which he was talking about the potential ending to his career. Doesn't expect him back any time soon and maybe not until Christmas.

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

PH confirms that he was never considering offering Mani a contract. He said he scored some big goals and was popular in the group and with the fans, but feels he wasn't really the type of player who could have taken us forward.

Ollie Battersby

The club will be looking to loan Battersby out in order for him to get some better experience, but this will only happen when another goalkeeper is signed.

Andy Smith

PH confirms a conversation was had with Hull City, but at the moment they are wanting to take a look at him themselves.

James McKeown

It was a very tough decision to make personally, given his history with Macca. PH says he hopes he can get sorted and find somewhere where he can play for the final few years of his career.

Ben Fox

Confirms he was transparent with the club that he had other offers, says he would have like to have kept him but that's football.

Goalkeeping coachl

Confirms Sam Russell left due to a personal situation and  left on good terms. Refused to be drawn in to confirming Steve Croudson as the new GK coach, didn't accept or deny it but said people will soon see who it will be and should be announced by Saturday.

Pre-season opener at Clee

On the injury front, Efete and Wearne potentially doubtful for the game due to injuries at the end of last season. Says he likes Wearne's attitude, came in a week early to start his rehab. Both should be fit for the start of the season.

Season Tickets

Says its incredible, says the club feels different, the way the shirts are selling amazing, Says its a nice place to be, and the best time to be at Grimsby Town.

Posted by: Son of Cod, July 6, 2022, 9:37am; Reply: 21
Usually, I'd be worried about the money with regards to a star player with only a year left on their contract but I don't think I've enjoyed watching a player for Town as much as I have with McAtee since the 90s. With that in mind, I wouldn't be that bothered if he left on a free at the end of the season if we've watched him for another season.

This might be a bit of a Championship/Football Manager style suggestion, but I wonder if we could get him to sign an extension with some kind of non-promotion release clause. If we go up with him then he's contracted to the club in L1 on improved terms. If we don't go up this season then he's free to join anyone that gives us a pre-determined fee.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 6, 2022, 9:57am; Reply: 22
i love Hursty
Posted by: sam gy, July 6, 2022, 10:08am; Reply: 23
Re reserve games for the squad players, i guess that's one good thing (the only good thing!) about the Pizza Trophy...gives the fringe players a game, which we really struggled with organising last season it seems.

I think people have really got it wrong about the thousands that Fox is supposedly earning - he was brilliant in the playoffs but across the whole season, can we honestly say he particularly delivered? I liked him and would have loved to have kept him, but think PH was right to not break the bank to keep him - although his wage will be thousands less than what some people are saying.

Re-McAtee...i hope he signs a new contract. If he's good enough and proves himself enough then a club will come in for him no matter the price tag. May as well thank the club and PH and help us get that fee than not. Though i'd much rather see him in a black and white shirt no matter what.
Posted by: lee65, July 6, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
For those of you who can't / unable to listen to the Interview, here is brief summary on the subjects.

On the new signings

Really happy to get the first five over the line. He is hoping for ANOTHER SIX players, dropping his priorities as a mobile strong goal scoring centre forward, a couple of midfielders (namely a replacement for Ben Fox) and a goalkeeper. he comments as a manager this is the most players that he's ever kept on and that he feels the club are in a good place. Next signing could be this week or next week, confirms he is in dialogue with a few players.

Erico Sousa

Out of all of the released players, Sousa was the closest to earning a new deal but was completely honest with him that he couldn't promise him regular football next season. Says Sousa was complimentary on his time at the club and said some really nice things, PH feels he will have lots of clubs after him and he will do well somewhere else.

John McAtee

Decided against an operation, initially told he needed one until looked into and thinks he can get bye without having it. No news on a new contract, no offers have been made for him although some have asked the question. Says John is happy at Town and he is focused on doing well for Town, feels the best place for him is working under him and Doigy as they know him well. Challenging him to go on and do well in League Two now.

Sean Scannell

PH has confirmed that Scannell has signed a new contract, feels people have been misunderstood from Scanz' recent interview in which he was talking about the potential ending to his career. Doesn't expect him back any time soon and maybe not until Christmas.

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

PH confirms that he was never considering offering Mani a contract. He said he scored some big goals and was popular in the group and with the fans, but feels he wasn't really the type of player who could have taken us forward.

Ollie Battersby

The club will be looking to loan Battersby out in order for him to get some better experience, but this will only happen when another goalkeeper is signed.

Andy Smith

PH confirms a conversation was had with Hull City, but at the moment they are wanting to take a look at him themselves.

James McKeown

It was a very tough decision to make personally, given his history with Macca. PH says he hopes he can get sorted and find somewhere where he can play for the final few years of his career.

Ben Fox

Confirms he was transparent with the club that he had other offers, says he would have like to have kept him but that's football.

Goalkeeping coachl

Confirms Sam Russell left due to a personal situation and  left on good terms. Refused to be drawn in to confirming Steve Croudson as the new GK coach, didn't accept or deny it but said people will soon see who it will be and should be announced by Saturday.

On the injury front, Efete and Wearne potentially doubtful for the game due to injuries at the end of last season. Says he likes Wearne's attitude, came in a week early to start his rehab. Both should be fit for the start of the season.

Season Tickets

Says its incredible, says the club feels different, the way the shirts are selling amazing, Says its a nice place to be, and the best time to be at Grimsby Town.

Thank you very much for that  :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 6, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 25
Good interview that, I think it once again confirms if we needed it confirming that Paul Hurst knows what he’s doing and is getting on just doing that.

Some have questioned whether he has the backing or not and the fact that he’s looking for 6/7 players on top of a healthy number that have returned to pre season training confirms he has.

I appreciated his honesty throughout the piece especially when he was talking about the players who departed and his ambitions to bring others in.

Regarding McAtee some have suggested that he’s not signed a new deal as “he’s keeping his options open” nothing in the interview suggests anything other than the focus for the club and the player at the moment is getting through pre season and into the fixtures.

Similar to my point about new additions you sense Hurst is enjoying it and being allowed and backed to continue the good work that he’s done so far.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 6, 2022, 12:06pm; Reply: 26
I think based on what we heard, I don’t think David Longe King will be moving on either.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 6, 2022, 12:22pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Good interview that, I think it once again confirms if we needed it confirming that Paul Hurst knows what he’s doing and is getting on just doing that.

Some have questioned whether he has the backing or not and the fact that he’s looking for 6/7 players on top of a healthy number that have returned to pre season training confirms he has.

I appreciated his honesty throughout the piece especially when he was talking about the players who departed and his ambitions to bring others in.

Regarding McAtee some have suggested that he’s not signed a new deal as “he’s keeping his options open” nothing in the interview suggests anything other than the focus for the club and the player at the moment is getting through pre season and into the fixtures.

Similar to my point about new additions you sense Hurst is enjoying it and being allowed and backed to continue the good work that he’s done so far.

Hurst was desperately trying not to say that they simply weren't good enough.

Was a good interview and insight. PH looks totally relaxed and enthused.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, July 6, 2022, 1:23pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from scott

Fair point! I'm 32 and started following town the year Gateshead knocked us out the play offs. For me the actual dream is just being a stable league club!

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…
Posted by: Poojah, July 6, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from PoutonStepover

I’m 35 and remember us winning 1-0 away at Coventry to go top of the 2nd Division (championship as is now) early in the 2001 season. Me being young and naive genuinely believed we were in with a shout of going up to the prem that year.  

Alas it was only for a day, as Burnley were playing on the Sunday to retake top spot, and we never saw those dizzying heights again…

Was at that game (with our good friend Aldi, if memory serves) - was a great day out and indeed the footballing world seemed our oyster. Then 3 days later 9/11 happened and the world's been a shíttier place ever since.
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 6, 2022, 2:04pm; Reply: 30
Was initially slightly surprised at PH saying he wanted 6 more players; with the new strategy of getting in the right permanent signings that properly improve the squad I was thinking 3 maybe 4 more in, but on reflection 6 might be his ideal world and it actually might be 3/4 permanents and a couple of loans if we need them. If by the end of next week - so 2 weeks to ko, we have signed a top-quality CM and striker for this level (and not the crumbs from Stockport's table) I think we'd be happy to start the season with that wouldn't we?

A keeper and another CM to follow and then see what we need from a couple of loans.
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 6, 2022, 2:20pm; Reply: 31
Hurst always likes to keep a couple of spaces in his squad held back so he can play the loan market during the season.

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit bare so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other) plus Khouri and the first year pros.  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I've a feeling Khouri's in for a big year.  Very, very limited chance to impress as a first year pro but got a two-year deal off the back of it.  That's a statement of backing from the management team who clearly rate him highly, which could also lessen the desire for more than one addition in the middle now.

Up top I could see two more coming in comfortably.  Even if McAtee has Wearne has potential cover in that freeish role, it still only leaves Taylor with back up (I presume) from Orsi as the main striker role.  With seven subs to name and play with, you've got room for 2, maybe even 3, strikers on the bench.

Keeper, Centre-Mid, 2 Strikers.  Then I think it'll be a few loans if needed later on.
Posted by: GrimPol, July 6, 2022, 2:21pm; Reply: 32

[img]https://imgur.com/a/GtNfbhw[/img]
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, July 6, 2022, 2:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from diehardmariner
Hurst always likes to keep a couple of spaces in his squad held back so he can play the loan market during the season.

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit thread bare to say the least so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other plus Khouri and the first year pros).  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I've a feeling Khouri's in for a big year.  Very, very limited chance to impress as a first year pro but got a two-year deal off the back of it.  That's a statement of backing from the management team who clearly rate him highly, which could also lessen the desire for more than one addition in the middle now.

Up top I could see two more coming in comfortably.  Even if McAtee has Wearne has potential cover in that freeish role, it still only leaves Taylor with back up (I presume) from Orsi as the main striker role.  With seven subs to name and play with, you've got room for 2, maybe even 3, strikers on the bench.

Keeper, Centre-Mid, 2 Strikers.  Then I think it'll be a few loans if needed later on.

Agree - that's why I think one big CM signing might suffice and then leave space for a loan if we get a couple of injuries.

Posted by: Son of Cod, July 6, 2022, 2:34pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from diehardmariner

Defence is sorted, only way I can see anyone else coming in is if DLK is shipped out.  In the middle we're a bit bare so can see at least one coming in.  I think the addition of a second central midfielder depends if he sees Clifton as someone who mainly operates in the middle, someone who operates out wide or or someone who basically covers wherever needed.  If Clifton's earmarked for a central midfield role I think we'll go with 3 (Clifton, Holohan and AN Other) plus Khouri and the first year pros.  With 3 out-and-out wingers in the building now in JMD, Wearne and Khan (plus Scannell coming back hopefully around Xmas) I imagine the thinking is more that Clifton will be played centrally.

I'd imagine we'll be bringing in at least 2 CMs. I think the question is whether we'll bring in 2 or 3.
Posted by: Chrisblor, July 6, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 35
What's all this about leaving space for loan signings? Doesn't make sense - you can't make loan signings in the football league after the transfer window shuts. Short-term loans don't exist at this level and you can only sign loan players from window to window (emergency goalkeeper loans are the only exception). This is why Hurst keeps going on about making 6 or 7 more signings because we need enough players to cover for injuries because loans aren't an option anymore.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 6, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Poojah

Was at that game (with our good friend Aldi, if memory serves) - was a great day out and indeed the footballing world seemed our oyster. Then 3 days later 9/11 happened and the world's been a shíttier place ever since.

My memory tells me we beat Barnsley at home to go top of the championship not cov away. Same day England beat Germany 5-1. In absolute cloud cuckoo land. Got stinking drunk and had a hangover the size of Brazil the next day and agreed to get a dog as long as the wife would just shut up and leave me alone.
Posted by: acko338, July 6, 2022, 3:00pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Chrisblor
What's all this about leaving space for loan signings? Doesn't make sense - you can't make loan signings in the football league after the transfer window shuts. Short-term loans don't exist at this level and you can only sign loan players from window to window (emergency goalkeeper loans are the only exception). This is why Hurst keeps going on about making 6 or 7 more signings because we need enough players to cover for injuries because loans aren't an option anymore.

This is what some people are missing out on, or not understanding now we are back in the League - the EFL transfer door shuts and locks until January, so all business HAS to be completed by the alloted transfer window date and time !!

We need the necessary bodies, including the correct number of youth / academy players in the squad in order to comply with League rules !
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 6, 2022, 3:27pm; Reply: 38
The window shuts on September 1st.  Our season starts over a month before that.  Hurst will use that first month to determine where he wants to tweak and then use the loan market to suit as that deadline looms.  

Just like he did the last time, the only time in fact, he was here in the EFL with the deadline day signings of Henderson, Comley and Tuton.   Regardless of what level or when that window shuts, Hurst has always left himself room to tweak around that time.  

Clubs further up the ladder are often reluctant to loan out at this stage because they want to see how their own players, especially young ones, develop in and around the main team and in pre-season games.  It allows managers to also get a feel for how the first month has panned out and what the likelihood is of said young players challenging for the first team.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 6, 2022, 3:36pm; Reply: 39

It was actually the game before that (home to Barnsley) when we first went top of the table. It was the same day that England stuffed Germany 5-1 in their own back yard so our game kicked off at 1pm to avoid a clash.
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), July 6, 2022, 4:16pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Posh Harry

My memory tells me we beat Barnsley at home to go top of the championship not cov away. Same day England beat Germany 5-1. In absolute cloud cuckoo land. Got stinking drunk and had a hangover the size of Brazil the next day and agreed to get a dog as long as the wife would just shut up and leave me alone.

I thought it was cov.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 6, 2022, 4:38pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from 4055

I thought it was cov.

No, it was definitely Barnsley 1-0 at home when we went top.

Early ko to avoid a clash with the Germany England game.

England win 5-1 and Town top of what is now The Championship. Doesn't get much better than that!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1518498.stm
Posted by: Maringer, July 6, 2022, 5:21pm; Reply: 42
Not so sure about that. I'm pretty sure we went top the following week after beating Coventry.

Oddly enough I went to visit some mates in Nottingham to watch the Germany 1 England 5 game and I can remember being stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway thinking I was going to miss kick-off but got there with about 30 seconds to spare! I have no recollection of the Barnsley game, although I'm sure I would have gone to it!

I was on holiday in Cornwall when 9/11 took place and seem to think I was envious that my friends who lived in Nottingham had been able to make it to the Coventry game to see us go top!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 6, 2022, 6:36pm; Reply: 43
Les is right - https://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/37-As-good-as-it-got/1604-grimsby-town-2001
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2022, 6:37pm; Reply: 44
Burnley went back top on Sep 2 after winning at Bradford. They then beat Rotherham on the day we beat Cov (8th) so we'll have stayed 2nd.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, July 6, 2022, 6:54pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Abdul19
Burnley went back top on Sep 2 after winning at Bradford. They then beat Rotherham on the day we beat Cov (8th) so we'll have stayed 2nd.

We were definitely top of the league at some point during the Coventry game, I remember that much as clear as day.

🎶 we are top of the league, say we are top of the league 🎶
Posted by: Tommy, July 6, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 46
Yeah, I remember us singing "we are top of the league" at Coventry but because Bradford also won we didn't actually go top.

What a smash and grab that win at Cov was by the way. Barely made it out of our half all game and then gifted a win by their international GK who played in world cups.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, July 6, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 47
Remember that day well, watched the England game at a mates house and biked back (was only 16 at the time) with England flag gritted between my teeth. Still have the print out of the Grimsby v Barnsley match report from BBC sport in the loft I think. Was a cool kid..... honest!  8) ;D
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 7, 2022, 1:07pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

On the new signings

Erico Sousa

John McAtee

Sean Scannell

Emmanuel Dieseruwve

Ollie Battersby

Andy Smith

James McKeown

Ben Fox

Goalkeeping coachl

Season Tickets

Gold star from me for that summary Gainsboro - thanks.
Posted by: TonySmith, July 7, 2022, 1:19pm; Reply: 49
It's noticeable that he wasn't asked about his thoughts on Max Wright. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say about Max's situation.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), July 7, 2022, 1:26pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from TonySmith
It's noticeable that he wasn't asked about his thoughts on Max Wright. It would have been interesting to hear what he had to say about Max's situation.

I agree it would be interesting, but maybe it's a question better left to a later date.
Posted by: Kris2, July 7, 2022, 2:08pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from TonySmith

I imagine because we already know his thoughts since last season. Was pretty much done with him, constant injury issues and complaining about injuries ruling himself out even when the medical team couldn't find something wrong with him. No idea what his actual problem is but after another season of barely playing and weird issues that nobody could figure out he had no future with us. Not sure if he was trying to get himself released or something but he was doing a good job of it.
Posted by: GrimExile, July 7, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Kris2

I imagine because we already know his thoughts since last season. Was pretty much done with him, constant injury issues and complaining about injuries ruling himself out even when the medical team couldn't find something wrong with him. No idea what his actual problem is but after another season of barely playing and weird issues that nobody could figure out he had no future with us. Not sure if he was trying to get himself released or something but he was doing a good job of it.

I do wonder whether a lot of it was psychological you know. He didn’t think he was fit enough to play and give a good account of himself and therefore he wasn’t, if that makes sense? On the other hand there are other players who just get on with it and play game after game. Paul Groves certainly springs to mind.

I love the story of Stuart Pearce when he was at West Ham in the latter stage of his career. He was tackled very very hard and went off injured just before half time. Then in the break he said to the manager that his leg bloody well hurt but thought he could go back on in the second half. The manager said no and it transpired he had a broken leg!! They don’t make them like that anymore!! 😁😁

With the best will in the world you couldn’t see Max Wright doing that.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, July 7, 2022, 3:20pm; Reply: 53
How come Max Wright seemed ok to play when he went out on loan ? Other fans raved about him and he played plenty of games in even more physical leagues.

It is a real head scratcher for sure as he obviously loves GTFC and has enough ability.  I guess we will never know.
Posted by: Maringer, July 7, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 54
Too much, too young?

Played quite a lot of games in men's football as a youngster and I wonder if he perhaps overdid it a bit back then?

It may be that he's just better suited to the training for part-time football and ends up playing a lot more games at his next club?
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 7, 2022, 4:29pm; Reply: 55
After the Barnsley game - 1st September - https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/01-september-2001/

After Burnley beat Bradford 3-2 the following day - 2nd September https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/02-september-2001/

After the Coventry game - https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-division-1/08-september-2001/ - no change in the gap between Burnley at the top and us in second (two points).

Burnley beat Rotherham 3-0 on the day we beat Coventry, they took the lead after 48 minutes whereas we took the lead after 58.  So technically we were never top of the league that day.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 7:52am