Hearing he’s left Town, wish the guy well 👍
Posted by: Hurstomariner, July 3, 2022, 11:55am; Reply: 1
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Hearing he’s left Town, wish the guy well 👍

Where did you find this info from?
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 3, 2022, 12:08pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Hurstomariner

Where did you find this info from?

Have a friend who does sessions with his brother Damien. He’s also removed GTFC player from his bio on Instagram 👍
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 3, 2022, 12:17pm; Reply: 3
That’s a shame but it’ll be a big salary off the wage bill no doubt. Said it a lot but Scannell was unfairly judged in our relegation season and I’m pleased that his cameo this season helped to prove a lot wrong about his abilities. I feel for him, it can’t be nice that injuries have basically ruined your career through no fault of your own. Best of luck to him.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 3, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 4
Well if that’s true I wish him all the best. Looked a different class when he eventually played for us.
By all accounts a top guy with genuinely unfortunate injuries.
Good luck Sean.
Posted by: mariner91, July 3, 2022, 12:21pm; Reply: 5
If true then all the best Scanz.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 3, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from pontoonlew
That’s a shame but it’ll be a big salary off the wage bill no doubt. Said it a lot but Scannell was unfairly judged in our relegation season and I’m pleased that his cameo this season helped to prove a lot wrong about his abilities. I feel for him, it can’t be nice that injuries have basically ruined your career through no fault of your own. Best of luck to him.

I'm not sure how you can say he was unfairly judged. He was a player with a terrible fitness problem over recent seasons and that has carried on in the two seasons he has been with us. I think in both 20/21 and 21/22 he only played 4 full games in each season.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 3, 2022, 12:38pm; Reply: 7
That would surprise me, seens as he would have a guarenteed income but if he moves on, i wish him all the best

Very popular bloke, very humble and quiet
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 3, 2022, 12:45pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from arryarryarry

I'm not sure how you can say he was unfairly judged. He was a player with a terrible fitness problem over recent seasons and that has carried on in the two seasons he has been with us. I think in both 20/21 and 21/22 he only played 4 full games in each season.

Aye but people confused that with him somehow being a poor player, which wasn’t true at all, I don’t think he had a bad game for us.

His injury record was indeed exactly as feared, but it wasn’t fair that our fans linked that to his abilities on the pitch.
Posted by: lukeo, July 3, 2022, 12:47pm; Reply: 9
Good luck to him, clearly loved by his fellow players from what I saw on videos and interviews
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 3, 2022, 1:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pontoonlew

Aye but people confused that with him somehow being a poor player, which wasn’t true at all, I don’t think he had a bad game for us.

His injury record was indeed exactly as feared, but it wasn’t fair that our fans linked that to his abilities on the pitch.

Not sure how many judged him as poor, he showed glimpses of being a good player in the few times he was on the pitch but for me a poor signing considering his injury record.
Posted by: denni266, July 3, 2022, 2:59pm; Reply: 11
If true  why have the club not said anything ?  and i think it would be silly not to take a contract  even if only to get some money while getting better.   Wish him well tho if he has gone
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 3, 2022, 3:37pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from pontoonlew

Who said he was poor? People said it had been a mistake signing him due to his injury problems and they were right weren't they? He was an absolute pleasure to watch when he played but as said above that wasn't very often.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 3, 2022, 3:43pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Hagrid
That would surprise me, seens as he would have a guarenteed income but if he moves on, i wish him all the best

There might be an opportunity, if you can call it that, to retire due to injury and access his pension early. He will be able to play part-time providing it isn't in the league similarly to Croudson.
Posted by: rancido, July 3, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

Who said he was poor? People said it had been a mistake signing him due to his injury problems and they were right weren't they? He was an absolute pleasure to watch when he played but as said above that wasn't very often.

It would be interesting to see how much he has been paid since signing for us and how many games he has actually played. The cost per game could make an interesting statistic.
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 3, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

There were plenty out there in our fan base last season slating him and a lot of it on here. It was only after his performances this season that people started to accept he was a talented player.
Posted by: ska face, July 3, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 16
He must have a few quid stashed away from his time in the Prem/Championship. Probably thinks it’s better to stay and do his rehab in London with his family than travel up here and stay in a hotel just to sit in Dave Moore’s portacabin all winter. Wouldn’t blame him.
Posted by: ancientmariner54, July 3, 2022, 5:32pm; Reply: 17
Quality player, best player I've seen in a town shirt for a long time. I was looking forward to seeing him in div2, Good look to him
Posted by: bobbyturtle, July 3, 2022, 5:58pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid

He might have more than one iron in the fire
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 3, 2022, 6:15pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from rancido

It would be interesting to see how much he has been paid since signing for us and how many games he has actually played. The cost per game could make an interesting statistic.

I understand the question. But surely the club must have some sort of insurance for injuries. Either that, or the player concerned get SSP and sorts out own insurance ??
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 3, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ska face
He must have a few quid stashed away from his time in the Prem/Championship. Probably thinks it’s better to stay and do his rehab in London with his family than travel up here and stay in a hotel just to sit in Dave Moore’s portacabin all winter. Wouldn’t blame him.

His brother Damien is a very knowledgeable guy about the body and runs a SuperDad group intended at body transformations etc. I imagine they’ll be linking up in some capacity for rehabilitation.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 3, 2022, 9:50pm; Reply: 21
He might have got another job either in the game or something completely different.

Best of luck to him for the future.
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 4, 2022, 6:26am; Reply: 22
Im taking this with a pinch of salt. google any of this its easy to find but doesnt prove bog all
Posted by: GrimPol, July 4, 2022, 9:15am; Reply: 23
Quoted from arryarryarry

In the end, it was a fantastic player but injured V a mediocre player, but fit was a  PH dilemma.
Hope it works out for him, so good luck to him.
Posted by: Surrey97, July 4, 2022, 10:27am; Reply: 24
Quite an emotional interview with him starting at 3:10 in this video. Really feel for the guy. https://youtu.be/UpQ92VnhhCI
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 4, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 25
So as he definitely turned down our offer then?
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, July 4, 2022, 11:51am; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC
So as he definitely turned down our offer then?

I'm a tad sceptical on this one - nothing official from Town or from Scannell.
Pure speculation - but why would he turn down a contract given his injuries?
All will be revealed during the week I guess.
Posted by: Poojah, July 4, 2022, 12:06pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Surrey97
Quite an emotional interview with him starting at 3:10 in this video. Really feel for the guy. https://youtu.be/UpQ92VnhhCI

Profound. Bless him.
Posted by: Maringer, July 4, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Heswall Mariner

I'm a tad sceptical on this one - nothing official from Town or from Scannell.
Pure speculation - but why would he turn down a contract given his injuries?
All will be revealed during the week I guess.

Given the injury problems he's had in recent years, he might just be fed up with it all. If he's got a bit of money put to one side and/or ideas about a future career, it might be that he feels it is time to move on from playing.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 4, 2022, 1:04pm; Reply: 29
May only have been offered a very basic low wage with a good bit extra on appearance’s, goals, win bonus etc

Do his family still live in Croydon? Could be a case of this being the right time to put family first and get a non-league part-time gig playing or even coaching.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 4, 2022, 1:50pm; Reply: 30
I don't think that says it's over or not. He might well be really down simply because the rest of the squad are in full training and he's not - as the coach said, it might well be the beginning of a new life for him. Who knows?
Posted by: heppy88, July 4, 2022, 2:02pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Surrey97

Moving. I guess a few of us can relate to his story who are not footballers, nursing the wounds of a lifetime of excess, neglect and ignorance.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 4, 2022, 3:38pm; Reply: 32
Where ever he ends up, or whatever he ends up doing, i wish him nothing but the best!
When he got game time, and was on it, it was a joy to watch, and we've not had that for a while!

Big thing, the other players seem to really like him as well.
Posted by: Kris2, July 4, 2022, 4:05pm; Reply: 33
Feel for the guy, got a bad injury when he was like 18 or 19 and has struggled with time out due to injuries that he never really recovered from. The sad thing before his latest injury he was on a decent run and was performing well at the start of the match he got injured in. Doing something like this is good for the mind, helping kids coming up in the game, if even one takes that to heart and thinks about how they treat their body and how they manage their career it'll be a good thing.

Going from a scholar to a professional contract is one of the hardest things to do, lot of kids will never make it in football and the standards have only become higher in modern times. He's right it's about more than working hard now, you have to work on everything from how you eat to how you use your free time.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 4, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 34
Surely if he had half a mind to move on he would have gone Back home to his family and not spent the last month at the oaklands to be close to medical attention
Posted by: moosey_club, July 4, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 35
Curse of the Premier league era again in one way, breaks through at a young age and without guidance ends up spending thousands in nightclubs.
If you are a professional athlete your body won't take that level of abuse for long, could that  be why he couldnt string a handful of games together over the last 4/5 seasons or so ?

When you consider an Olympic athlete, they dedicate themselves for four years between Olympics , with that single focus....yet plenty of footballers struggle to commit to their profession during an active season   never mind close season.
Posted by: RichMariner, July 4, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 36
Must admit, he's played more games in his career than I realised - 395 appearances across 15 seasons at 26 games a season.

No doubt he's had his injury problems, especially with us. But earlier in his career, while at Palace and Huddersfield, he was regularly clocking 30+ games a season.

What's happened after that is probably a mixture of bad luck and bad judgment on his part.

He always seemed to have a good attitude while with us, though. And the players celebrated promotion with him and treated him as one of the team.

It was Matt Dean who first mentioned on Twitter that he believed Town were to offer him a pay-as-you-play deal, but nothing more substantive than that.

No ill feeling on my part. I wish him all the best.
Posted by: toontown, July 4, 2022, 7:04pm; Reply: 37
You've got to have tremendous sympathy for the lad after watching that, obviously heartbreaking for him that he may not be able to come back from that injury.

I wouldn't be surprised if he has decided to turn down what must surely be a rock bottom offer from us, we've got to protect ourselves as, as he says, he may not be able to get back to playing. If he's got children and family down south maybe it's just not worth it for him to be away from them for such a protracted period when he's not got any chance of playing. Good of him to be volunteering his time to try and offer guidance to young footballers and offer tye benefit of his experience.

Whether he is coming back to us or not I certainly wish him the best of luck.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 4, 2022, 7:21pm; Reply: 38
Seems like a genuinely decent bloke and clearly well thought of at the club.

Hopefully, whatever he chooses to do he’ll be happy and successful. Football is cruel, many of us, myself included wouldn’t have been sad to see him paid off earlier on but in his defence he did get fit and was having an impact on games…

Best of luck to the guy…
Posted by: Morph2000, July 5, 2022, 9:31am; Reply: 39
I have heard he has signed a 6 month contract and is already back in Grimsby/Laceby
Posted by: heppy88, July 5, 2022, 10:21am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Morph2000
I have heard he has signed a 6 month contract and is already back in Grimsby/Laceby

Welcome aboard Morph! Hope your right. With all the positive energy around the club maybe Scannell can tap into it  ;) Would love to see him fit and well, seeing him play again would be the icing on the cake.
Posted by: sapper mariner, July 5, 2022, 10:32am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Morph2000

I also thought this bit like liam hearn when he was out injured a basic contract to get the player through injury then reases when ready
Posted by: acko338, July 5, 2022, 1:12pm; Reply: 42
He could have a future job in motivational speaking, and training young footballers as to the pitfalls and bad side of the profession, if injured long term or rejected at an early age?
Posted by: BeijingMariner, July 5, 2022, 1:18pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from acko338
He could have a future job in motivational speaking, and training young footballers as to the pitfalls and bad side of the profession, if injured long term or rejected at an early age?

I'm not having a go, seriously, but no, not with his approach, 100% in the 'cautionary tale' territory. Motivational speakers build you up, they don't make you feel sympathy or empathy, just that you can and you will, end of story.
Not saying I am a fan of motivational speakers, I think it's more to do with the way you are raised, hinestly, but if you need an outside motivational force, you need someone who has been where Scanz has been and is upbeat about where you can be/should be. Just an opinion :-)
Posted by: pontoonlew, July 5, 2022, 7:44pm; Reply: 44
Hurst confirms that Scannell has signed the contract offer, great news
Posted by: Wedidntdidwe, July 5, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 45
Good news. A great role model for our younger players
Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 5, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 46
This speaks volumes about the player and our club.
Posted by: Surrey97, July 5, 2022, 9:55pm; Reply: 47
Great news, such a likeable guy and I really hope he gets through his rehabilitation well and gets back playing. And for us, if we can get him playing again, he’ll be a great player at this level.
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 9:22pm