Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: thefish, July 2, 2022, 9:00am
a bit like us a couple of years ago!

Everything is going wrong for the Scunts!

[url]https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2022/july/update-from-lee-turnbull/[/url]
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 2, 2022, 9:10am; Reply: 1
I see he refers to the ground as glanford park and not sands stadium looks like more cash being pulled out by the owner
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 2, 2022, 9:11am; Reply: 2
I didn’t even read the link … Fuk um I say
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 2, 2022, 9:28am; Reply: 3
A massive bomb went off in scunny last night causing £1m worth of improvements

Posted by: Hagrid, July 2, 2022, 9:39am; Reply: 4
they're in a real mess arent they

i know they are rivals, but i can them sinking into oblivion, i think they've only signed Boyce? and they've lost about 20 players
Posted by: aldi_01, July 2, 2022, 9:43am; Reply: 5
Been working over that way and rivalry aside, the symmetry with how disastrously operate we were and now they is terrifying.

It gets worse for them and and can’t see it getting any better, the lads I work with are convinced they’ll drop straight through.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 2, 2022, 9:59am; Reply: 6
They're going to really struggle. Maidenhead away first up would do nicely
Posted by: Meza, July 2, 2022, 9:59am; Reply: 7
There isn't a lot about them as in updates etc, not much happening on Grimsby/Iron Live or Twitter.  Have they signed anyone, cant remember if they are still under an embargo.
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 2, 2022, 10:00am; Reply: 8
They’ve re-signed some real young lads who can’t have shown that much in the latter part of last season and just got Boyce in. I really wouldn’t be surprised to see back-to-back relegations. Almost beginning to feel sorry for them.
Posted by: DB, July 2, 2022, 10:03am; Reply: 9
Nothing new on the GL Iron site for weeks. Just like Bury and Macclesfield fans I feel sorry for the few misguided supporters they have.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 2, 2022, 10:09am; Reply: 10
They’re going straight through that division. Anyone got any odds?
Posted by: male private Nale, July 2, 2022, 10:13am; Reply: 11
Quoted from marinerdazza

As soon as they become live I am going big .. licence for print money
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 2, 2022, 10:14am; Reply: 12
Quoted from marinerdazza

They are 11/1 to get promoted!!!!!!
Shocking odds tbh

Chesterfield/notts county/Solihull all near enough evens to finish in the top 7!!!!! Pretty decent treble right there
Posted by: Meza, July 2, 2022, 10:14am; Reply: 13
So little fan engagement. Cant find anything on a bomb but they have released a statement (Lee Turnbull) about damage to their facilities.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 2, 2022, 10:17am; Reply: 14
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

They are 11/1 to get promoted!!!!!!
Shocking odds tbh

Chesterfield/notts county/Solihull all near enough evens to finish in the top 7!!!!! Pretty decent treble right there

11/1?!!!!!

Just shows how far off the mark the bookies often are. Watch those odds tumble by September.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 2, 2022, 10:22am; Reply: 15
Perhaps we should start a match day special from Scunthorpe ooooo wait Our ground is full lol
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2022, 11:31am; Reply: 16
Don't care.

They had a good run, now it's our turn in the spotlight. When their fans were on here taking the p1ss, I said what goes around comes around and now they will get to feel what it's like to lose to Bromley and Maidenhead.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, July 2, 2022, 11:49am; Reply: 17
Joe Bunney on trial there.
As barrel scrapings go ...
Posted by: scott, July 2, 2022, 11:59am; Reply: 18
I'm not an expert but don't they get the parachute payments for a bit so if the are not even spending now then god knows what they are going to be like in 3 seasons time when they have even less money. It might even be 2 seasons
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2022, 12:34pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from scott
I'm not an expert but don't they get the parachute payments for a bit so if the are not even spending now then god knows what they are going to be like in 3 seasons time when they have even less money. It might even be 2 seasons

Full league payment in the coming season, then half payment the following season. After that, they are on whatever the rest get in the hell hole.
Posted by: jaygy, July 2, 2022, 12:41pm; Reply: 20
I see he has asked the club chaplain to pray for divine intervention, must be bad for them to ask an imaginary entity for help whilst not signing any players 😂
Posted by: scott, July 2, 2022, 12:44pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from ginnywings

Full league payment in the coming season, then half payment the following season. After that, they are on whatever the rest get in the hell hole.

Cheers, quite interesting to know. That means we didn't lose out on too much financially then
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2022, 1:08pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from scott

Cheers, quite interesting to know. That means we didn't lose out on too much financially then

Although we didn't lose the solidarity payment, I think we did lose some TV money. Can't remember fully how it works but it doesn't concern us anymore, so not bothered.  :)
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 2, 2022, 1:28pm; Reply: 23
I heard that if Bristol Rovers got promoted, Scuuny received a bonus as part of the Ryan Loft transfer.

Bristol Rovers scored seven goals for the first time since 1964 to thrash relegated Scunthorpe 7-0 and secure the third automatic promotion place from Northampton on goals scored.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, July 2, 2022, 1:32pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Bit harsh on Bunny that TBH. He should not have to endure such a thing.

We’re back in the league and they’re below us in the pyramid so the order of things is finally restored, and long may it last.

If Keith Hill keeps them up he’ll be the manager of the season.
Posted by: Rhys_Mariners, July 2, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 25
Feel sorry for them, the fans and the club staff. It's not a nice situation to be in
Posted by: Poojah, July 2, 2022, 1:37pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Hard to argue with that, but the lad’s got bills to pay…
Posted by: BenBB, July 2, 2022, 1:51pm; Reply: 27
[tweet]1543214222707933184[/tweet]

Back to normal up the road then...
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 2, 2022, 2:34pm; Reply: 28
Are you sure it's not Boro Under 10s beating the Scunts?
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 2, 2022, 2:37pm; Reply: 29
I'd laugh my mammaries off if those 'yoofs' who damaged the training pitch turned out to be fans of another team, Lincoln, Town or even Gainsborough lol
Posted by: Kris2, July 2, 2022, 2:40pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from AdamHaddock

Be a bit of desperation if they sign him. He hadn't played hardly any football for a couple of years before he signed for us and had just got back into it with Hartlepool after a long layoff with injury and it doesn't look like he's played all that much last season either. As far as I can tell he hasn't kicked a ball since December.
Posted by: BenBB, July 2, 2022, 5:42pm; Reply: 31
Are you sure it's not Boro Under 10s beating the Scunts?

To be fair they made a bit of a comeback 3-2 in the next half, still lost though 😉
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, July 2, 2022, 6:13pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from BenBB

To be fair they made a bit of a comeback 3-2 in the next half, still lost though 😉

So it was the under 10s then lol
Posted by: FPVmariner, July 2, 2022, 7:42pm; Reply: 33
I actually feel sorry for the genuine Scunny fans, they’ve had a few years of punching well above their weight but the aftermath could well be oblivion.  For fans who turn out no matter what that’s a crying shame.  At least they used to ‘turn up’ at Blundell Park unlike the gimps.

Okay, that’s my empathy tank well and truly empty, fùck em.
Posted by: thefish, July 2, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 34
I'd laugh my mammaries off if those 'yoofs' who damaged the training pitch turned out to be fans of another team, Lincoln, Town or even Gainsborough lol

The ‘youths’ who are damaging it are probably just their current team attempting shooting practice what with their ages and ability!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2022, 7:55pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Kris2

Be a bit of desperation if they sign him. He hadn't played hardly any football for a couple of years before he signed for us and had just got back into it with Hartlepool after a long layoff with injury and it doesn't look like he's played all that much last season either. As far as I can tell he hasn't kicked a ball since December.

Wouldn't call it desperation. He's had a rough time lately, but is 28 and played a good portion of his career in League 1. If he can get his fitness and form back, he'll be a decent signing.
Posted by: toontown, July 2, 2022, 8:43pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ginnywings

Wouldn't call it desperation. He's had a rough time lately, but is 28 and played a good portion of his career in League 1. If he can get his fitness and form back, he'll be a decent signing.

Yeah but in a desperately poor Town team he stood out as worse than most, although that may have been due to health issues if I remember rightly, so having thought about it maybe you are right.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 2, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from toontown

Yeah but in a desperately poor Town team he stood out as worse than most, although that may have been due to health issues if I remember rightly, so having thought about it maybe you are right.

I'm just saying that with regular football, he may get his form back and that form saw him play at a higher level for many seasons. He may not of course, but we have taken a punt on players in the past and had good outcomes from some.

PH thought he was good enough to give a chance to, but as you say, his health issues put paid to his time here.

Wouldn't surprise me if PH was asked about him by Hill and gave him a good report.
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 2, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 38
You can debate the pros and cons of signing Bunney all you like but the reality is Scunny have signed one player so far this window and now have a lad on trial who has barely played for 18 months and was outstandingly poor in an absolutely abominably poor team 18 months ago. We know how competitive and hard to beat some of those lower level NL teams are, let alone the Wrexhams and Solihulls of this the world. I’d be surprised if they made the top half, and certainly wouldn’t be shocked if they went straight through.

On another note, I read today Lincoln are in bother, owners are making all the signings, and isn’t a happy camp at all, have pulled the funding owing to losses of £4m last financial year. Could we swap places with them? I think so.
Posted by: mariner91, July 2, 2022, 9:44pm; Reply: 39
You read that on Twitter, I wouldn’t take it as gospel. I hardly feel that their chairman will have gone from working miracles to suddenly dictating which players are signed.

Having said that, they’ve lost some of their better players and the players they’ve signed aren’t exactly world beaters. Coupled with a bizarre managerial choice after being turned down by their first choice and I wouldn’t be too surprised to see them in a relegation battle.
Posted by: Teestogreen, July 2, 2022, 10:03pm; Reply: 40
It all feels -
to me like GTFC are assembling a competitive football team in League 2.
🤙
UTM
Posted by: MarinerDevil, July 2, 2022, 11:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner_09

On another note, I read today Lincoln are in bother, owners are making all the signings, and isn’t a happy camp at all, have pulled the funding owing to losses of £4m last financial year. Could we swap places with them? I think so.

Not sure where you've heard that as there have been up to 10 share allocations in the last year, the latest being £650k:

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1538840128428417026

Posted by: toontown, July 3, 2022, 8:26am; Reply: 42
Quoted from MarinerDevil

Not sure where you've heard that as there have been up to 10 share allocations in the last year, the latest being £650k:

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1538840128428417026

Yeah it really does show how competitive and demanding league 1 is now that lincoln with average crowds of what, 9k, are needing 100s of thousands (millions?) poured in a year by the board.
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 3, 2022, 8:51am; Reply: 43
Quoted from toontown

Yeah it really does show how competitive and demanding league 1 is now that lincoln with average crowds of what, 9k, are needing 100s of thousands (millions?) poured in a year by the board.

This is a good point. Players earn a fortune in L1. To be competitive you really need to be an Ipswich or Portsmouth nowadays, a Lincoln or Grimsby will struggle income-wise. Lincoln’s model has worked well so far, but ultimately their crowds of 9000 don’t sound enough, which is mad.
Posted by: lukeo, July 3, 2022, 8:52am; Reply: 44
I'm not expecting to be promoted, it'd be lovely but I can only imagine we'd come straight back down or constantly fight off relegation because there's mega money in league 1.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 3, 2022, 9:37am; Reply: 45
Quoted from lukeo
I'm not expecting to be promoted, it'd be lovely but I can only imagine we'd come straight back down or constantly fight off relegation because there's mega money in league 1.

Hence why the owners use the self sustaining title alot. The game has changed beyond recognition since we were last punching above our weight in the second and third tier.  Back then you overspent a bit... but not to the degree that is needed nowadays.
However Fleetwood, Accrington seem to do OK so would be interesting to see how their books look.
Posted by: aldi_01, July 3, 2022, 9:52am; Reply: 46
Quoted from moosey_club

Hence why the owners use the self sustaining title alot. The game has changed beyond recognition since we were last punching above our weight in the second and third tier.  Back then you overspent a bit... but not to the degree that is needed nowadays.
However Fleetwood, Accrington seem to do OK so would be interesting to see how their books look.

I’d imagine their books look similar to Lincoln, although Lincoln did try and push on for promotion, those you named haven’t ever really tried to do that. Perhaps that’s an issue.

Wages in league 1 are bonkers in truth. There are players in league 1 earning top end championship money at bang average clubs.

The season just gone is probably the first season that Lincoln fans will have experienced a ‘meh’ season since many have been following them (I’m aware this is tongue in cheek) and I know they’ve sold a huge amount of season tickets again but another nothing season May be alien and begin to affect them and the interest in the team. How much do shareholders want to shovel in? What’s their ambition. I’d imagine they fancy the championship but it’s not that easy and we know that the championship is littered with huge spenders and the levels of cash needed are huge unless you become Rotherham…
Posted by: Heisenberg, July 3, 2022, 3:57pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from aldi_01

I’d imagine their books look similar to Lincoln, although Lincoln did try and push on for promotion, those you named haven’t ever really tried to do that. Perhaps that’s an issue.

Wages in league 1 are bonkers in truth. There are players in league 1 earning top end championship money at bang average clubs.

The season just gone is probably the first season that Lincoln fans will have experienced a ‘meh’ season since many have been following them (I’m aware this is tongue in cheek) and I know they’ve sold a huge amount of season tickets again but another nothing season May be alien and begin to affect them and the interest in the team. How much do shareholders want to shovel in? What’s their ambition. I’d imagine they fancy the championship but it’s not that easy and we know that the championship is littered with huge spenders and the levels of cash needed are huge unless you become Rotherham…

How many season tickets have Lincoln shifted this time? And is their upgrading of Sincil Bank still in the pipeline?
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 1:57am