Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 30, 2022, 8:41am
I was thinking last night about my feelings when Hurst was appointed, and hoping he kept us up, as i didn't see a return for a very long time, especially with what he had been left with.

Since PH took over in December 2020, 42 (might be slightly incorrect) players were involved in the squad from that season.
He's done some job in 1.5 seasons to tidy that up, get us promoted, and keep hold of all except 1 player from that squad that he wanted to keep.

Now looking at the future
New signings made:
Maher - 26
Orsi - 26
Wearne - 21
Glennon - 22

Very quick maths, makes our average squad age around 25, and only 4 players out of 19? over the age of 30 (Waterfall, Pearson, Scannell.. assuming signs, Taylor)

One day, he will get the recognition he deserves for this time around.
It also shows what can happen when this guy gets backed.
Posted by: Poojah, June 30, 2022, 8:45am; Reply: 1
It’s a deceptively young squad, and even if next season only amounts to something of consolidation, I think we’ve got a really good chance of finding ourselves in League One within the next 2 or 3 seasons.

I don’t think I’ve been genuinely confident of such a thing since about 2006. Hopefully I’m actually right this time.
Posted by: Garth, June 30, 2022, 8:46am; Reply: 2
Ditto
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 30, 2022, 8:48am; Reply: 3
He’s building on and off the pitch, that’s what good owners allow good managers to do.

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 30, 2022, 9:58am; Reply: 4
Considering how good our back line was, particularly those starting
regularly at the back end of the season its amazing to think that only Waterfall was over the age of 23.
Posted by: Nutsy, June 30, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Considering how good our back line was, particularly those starting
regularly at the back end of the season its amazing to think that only Waterfall was over the age of 23.

I agree, supplementing that with permanent signings of Glennon and Maher has been very impressive (on paper!).

I’ve read that Maher is left footed too which should be an even greater tool for playing it out.

Very excited for this season. If we secure that chap from Mansfield, and add another CM and striker along the lines of the quality already signed, then we look a very good team.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2022, 10:21am; Reply: 6
We thought that we had a realistic chance of getting back in the EFL in 2 or 3 seasons.  We are ahead of schedule.  With the owners, managers, squad of players, fans and momentum there is no reason not to target and reach the playoffs this season. We are only talking about 7th position.
Posted by: Superdan147, June 30, 2022, 10:39am; Reply: 7
An excellent manager and a fantastic person. Came back when we was in an absolute mess, obviously didn’t quite manage to keep us up, but thought he at least gave us what remebled a football team from February onwards and a team that gave us hope. Massive rebuild last summer and signed some excellent players. Thought we played some really good football throughout last season,  we always looked fitter than every team i thought also? I think he was a good manager in his previous spell, but he’s even better now.

Hopefully the idiots who want him out when we inevitably lose a few games or have a sticky spell look at the bigger picture and remember what he’s done for this club (2 promotions, numerous trips to Wembley) and you can guarantee he will be working his socks off to put things right.

Easily the best manager we’ve had since buckley. No bullshitting or bravado, just a meticulous manager who works incredibly hard for this football club, giving us a team that works equally as hard, playing some good football and one we can really get behind.

I love the four little yorkie
Posted by: mariner91, June 30, 2022, 10:42am; Reply: 8
Quoted from Nutsy

I agree, supplementing that with permanent signings of Glennon and Maher has been very impressive (on paper!).

I’ve read that Maher is left footed too which should be an even greater tool for playing it out.

Very excited for this season. If we secure that chap from Mansfield, and add another CM and striker along the lines of the quality already signed, then we look a very good team.

Who’s the chap from Mansfield?
Posted by: Hagrid, June 30, 2022, 10:46am; Reply: 9
Quoted from mariner91

Who’s the chap from Mansfield?

one of those stupid twitter accounts that people still take notice of said we want to sign George Lapslie on a free, then said we will pay 20K

the usual bullshit
Posted by: HoratiusEberlin, June 30, 2022, 11:00am; Reply: 10
We’re so lucky to have him. We always have been. Sure, he’s a manager that requires patience as his approach is more concerned with the big picture than appeasing fans with mouth-watering signings but with time he always builds a team with a solid base and with connected personalities (and that’s enough for me considering how spectacularly bad other Town managers seem to get it).
The absolute tools who started fighting at Dagenham (because they wanted him out) must feel pretty silly now, if they have the ability to self reflect that is.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 30, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I was thinking last night about my feelings when Hurst was appointed, and hoping he kept us up, as i didn't see a return for a very long time, especially with what he had been left with.

Since PH took over in December 2020, 42 (might be slightly incorrect) players were involved in the squad from that season.
He's done some job in 1.5 seasons to tidy that up, get us promoted, and keep hold of all except 1 player from that squad that he wanted to keep.

Now looking at the future
New signings made:
Maher - 26
Orsi - 26
Wearne - 21
Glennon - 22

Very quick maths, makes our average squad age around 25, and only 4 players out of 19? over the age of 30 (Waterfall, Pearson, Scannell.. assuming signs, Taylor)

One day, he will get the recognition he deserves for this time around.
It also shows what can happen when this guy gets backed.

Didn't we also sign the Pakistani guy(sorry, can't remember his name)?

Posted by: Poojah, June 30, 2022, 11:48am; Reply: 12
Quoted from 123614

Didn't we also sign the Pakistani guy(sorry, can't remember his name)?

Raikhy? English born and bred, from a family of Indian origin.
Posted by: Oly1987, June 30, 2022, 11:51am; Reply: 13
Believe he's referring to Otis Khan though I've not seen anything official yet
Posted by: Poojah, June 30, 2022, 11:54am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Oly1987

Ok, fair enough. Consider my neck wound in!
Posted by: Oly1987, June 30, 2022, 12:40pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

Ok, fair enough. Consider my neck wound in!

S'all good hard to keep up with the rumours sometimes
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 30, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Oly1987

That's the one, so anyway, I can't put him in my Football Manager game just yet then.

Posted by: DB, July 3, 2022, 6:39pm; Reply: 17
I was looking at the list of managerial appointments in L2. There are a lot of itchy chairman with 14 appointments so far this year leaving Hurst in the group of longest-serving managers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62023128
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 3, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from DB
I was looking at the list of managerial appointments in L2. There are a lot of itchy chairman with 14 appointments so far this year leaving Hurst in the group of longest-serving managers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62023128

Hurst is second longest serving manager of League 2 club bs this year despite only being in job for 18 months . Only Nigel Clough Mansfield is longer
Posted by: HerveJosse, July 3, 2022, 6:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from HerveJosse

Hurst is second longest serving manager of League 2 club bs this year despite only being in job for 18 months . Only Nigel Clough Mansfield is longer

Third missed Sutton
Posted by: DB, July 3, 2022, 7:04pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from HerveJosse

Third missed Sutton

And Harrogate

Posted by: lukeo, July 3, 2022, 10:19pm; Reply: 21
I think he's perfect for Grimsby. Stays out of the limelight and just gets the job in hand done. My only annoyance is the lateness of subs. But. You have to say. He nailed it in the play offs.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 3, 2022, 11:03pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from lukeo
I think he's perfect for Grimsby. Stays out of the limelight and just gets the job in hand done. My only annoyance is the lateness of subs. But. You have to say. He nailed it in the play offs.

This late sub thing is a myth.

Most subs are made after the 70 minute mark, especially so last season in the National League.

I suspect it will be different in League 2, where you have more scope to change things.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 4, 2022, 1:20am; Reply: 23
Subs will be even more tactially this season, with 5 subs from 7 allowed.
Will be bit more like ruby union, the starting 15 run their nuts off for 60 minutes, then bring on the fresh legs for the last 20.
Posted by: DB, July 4, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from ginnywings

This late sub thing is a myth.

Most subs are made after the 70 minute mark, especially so last season in the National League.

I suspect it will be different in League 2, where you have more scope to change things.

I agree with you, 5 from 7 means you can reset your team if you have to, or consolidate your lead.

Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 7:52am