https://gtfc.co.uk/glennon-is-back/
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 29, 2022, 5:07pm; Reply: 1
Prob worth another 100 new season tickets this signing
Posted by: blundellpork, June 29, 2022, 5:07pm; Reply: 2
https://gtfc.co.uk/glennon-is-back/
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 29, 2022, 5:09pm; Reply: 3
Excellent signing.
Posted by: buckstown, June 29, 2022, 5:14pm; Reply: 4
Have so say that Anthony Glennon is the classiest player I’ve seen in a town shirt for a while
If he’s maintained most of that ability/attitude/drive he’ll be a massive asset
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 29, 2022, 5:15pm; Reply: 5
Great signing this, really pleased with it! Another quality player in his early 20’s with bags of potential. We’re building something..
Posted by: DB, June 29, 2022, 5:18pm; Reply: 6
Lookin good
Posted by: Humbercod, June 29, 2022, 5:19pm; Reply: 7
Excellent addition.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 29, 2022, 5:19pm; Reply: 8
If the back 4 is anything to go by, PH is looking to have 2 good players for every position on the field.  That's important with a lot of subs available and cover for injuries but also with a young side where many of the players haven't had full seasons yet in their career so will have moments of being in and out of form.  We seem to have a load of players in their early 20s and if even 50% of them develop, we could build an era in the way it happened with Newman, Kerr and Booth.
Posted by: FishFan101, June 29, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 9
Brilliant news - two young left backs hopefully some healthy competition and get the best out of each other UTM
Posted by: Sussexmariner, June 29, 2022, 5:28pm; Reply: 10
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he make his debut for Town away at Orient way back when?

That’s the first time I saw him play and after 20 minutes I thought that’s the best attacking defender (who could defend as well) I’ve seen play for Town for years, hope he’s improved since he left because he could make a huge impact on how successful Town are this season, a great signing.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 29, 2022, 5:33pm; Reply: 11
Quality!
Posted by: acko338, June 29, 2022, 5:53pm; Reply: 12
Definite statement of genuine intent and competition for places !!

Good ages and decent contracts for continuity.

Another run of similar signings to complete the squad should blow the 5,000 season ticket total.

For those who cannot make a number of matches, and I count myself in that number sadly, due to work requirements, then it may be a struggle to get tickets in desired seats !!

There may be some more ambitious random names bouncing around sgain for the next couple of weeks !!

Good time to be a Mariners fan !!
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), June 29, 2022, 5:54pm; Reply: 13
👍 excellent.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 29, 2022, 5:55pm; Reply: 14
Has anyone ever seen Leighton Baines and Driscoll-Glennon in the same room?

Both left-backs, both from Liverpool and both played the Stratocaster for Echo & the (Joe) Bunnymen.

Barrow had a decent defensive record last year despite their lowly position.

Great signing.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 29, 2022, 6:01pm; Reply: 15
Really good signing a good attacking full back with pace who can defend and on a 2 year deal. Also based upon his previous loan and attitude he’ll really fit in well with the current group.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 29, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 16
That’s a real statement of intent great signing imo
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 29, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 17
Welcome back Anthony really pleased.
Posted by: buckstown, June 29, 2022, 6:25pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t he make his debut for Town away at Orient way back when?

That’s the first time I saw him play and after 20 minutes I thought that’s the best attacking defender (who could defend as well) I’ve seen play for Town for years, hope he’s improved since he left because he could make a huge impact on how successful Town are this season, a great signing.

Think you’re right on both counts. Trouble is I was lulled into believing Hollowords knew what he was doing
Posted by: RonMariner, June 29, 2022, 6:26pm; Reply: 19
Great news. That is one hell of a back four now! Efete one side Glennon the other and Waterfall and Maher in the middle. Wow.  Plus Amos, Pearson, Cropper and Lounge-King competing for places. I think we are sorted defensively.

Just need for a couple more midfielders and forwards and we are ready to roll..
Posted by: forza ivano, June 29, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 20
Best lb I've seen since danny andrew

Ps going from 1 extreme to another, I heard that Joe Bunney is training with the Scunts
Posted by: chaos33, June 29, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 21
Fantastic signing!
Posted by: Poojah, June 29, 2022, 6:36pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from forza ivano
Best lb I've seen since danny andrew

Ps going from 1 extreme to another, I heard that Joe Bunney is training with the Scunts

It never rains, it pours. A serious car crash, a life threatening illness and now the possibility of a contract at Scunny. You’ve got to feel for the lad.
Posted by: DB, June 29, 2022, 6:43pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Poojah

It never rains, it pours. A serious car crash, a life threatening illness and now the possibility of a contract at Scunny. You’ve got to feel for the lad.

At the end of the day, the lad has to pay his bills.

Posted by: Tommy, June 29, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 24
Really happy with this signing.

And as others have said, this appears, assuming the 3 retained make the step up to L2 ok, to be the strongest looking set of fullbacks we've had for a while. In terms of all 4 being good enough to start.
Posted by: goldenfish, June 29, 2022, 9:35pm; Reply: 25
4 high quality full backs all pushing each other and competing for places … Glennon is a right signing
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 29, 2022, 9:53pm; Reply: 26
Great signing . Another player in who we know has real quality . We’re assembling a squad of young lads with a few older heads . Getting more and more more excited about the coming season instead of dreading it !
Posted by: always grimsby, June 29, 2022, 10:02pm; Reply: 27
This is great news
I think he is the  left back since on loan
Conor Townsend or our own  Gary Croft
I could be shot down but I do believe he is that good !
Please prove me right !!UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 29, 2022, 10:04pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tommy

And as others have said, this appears, assuming the 3 retained make the step up to L2 ok, to be the strongest looking set of fullbacks we've had for a while. In terms of all 4 being good enough to start.

I think all 4 offer something different too. I sense It’s also another player who clearly wants to play for the club rather than “needing to find a club”.
Posted by: Martz86, June 29, 2022, 10:09pm; Reply: 29
BBC really are useless, apparently he got his first taste of League 2 football while on loan at Barrow last season and played for us 12 times in the National League.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61987975
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 29, 2022, 10:12pm; Reply: 30
Obviously 4 full backs now that all offer something different but in Efete and Glennon we have 2 wingbacks with real energy and drive to fly forward. Amos is improving all the time and has a good left foot and obviously Cropper has the real weapon in that long throw.
With 7 subs this year, all 4 can be involved.

Really need an experienced keeper to challenge Crocombe, 2 centre mids, 2 wingers and a pacey striker now. Maybe another centre back if Longe-king wishes to move on. Squad getting closer now.

Oh and McAtee contract extension  ;)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 29, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 31
Let’s give Battersby a chance of being the back up instead of going on about signing another keeper ?
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 29, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 32
On another note I find it interesting that Hurst says in his statement that he never seen Glennon play which leads me to believe he's taken advice on this signing, perhaps from Dave Moore, before making the offer. Shows that transfers are a collective amongst all staff and think last summer Hurst said something similar along the lines of due diligence with help from Davies, Doig and others.
Posted by: Tommy, June 29, 2022, 10:44pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Stew0_0
On another note I find it interesting that Hurst says in his statement that he never seen Glennon play which leads me to believe he's taken advice on this signing, perhaps from Dave Moore, before making the offer. Shows that transfers are a collective amongst all staff and think last summer Hurst said something similar along the lines of due diligence with help from Davies, Doig and others.

He doesn't say he hasn't seen him play, only that he hasn't worked with him before personally.

I very much doubt Hurst would sign anyone having not seen them play at some stage of his career.
Posted by: toontown, June 29, 2022, 10:56pm; Reply: 34
The club will have videos of all his performances for us anyway, and ben davies was working here as a coach when he played for us under hollowhead.
Posted by: toontown, June 29, 2022, 11:16pm; Reply: 35
Glennon doesn't seem to have impressed at barrow but He's still only young and we have seen how good he can be.

Probably when he joined us he had hopes and expectations of playing in the premiership one day. He comes down and plays against orient in front of  a massive vocal following, having only previously played in front of 1 man and his dog at u23 level and by all accounts loved it from the off. Impressive performances follow, popular with the fans, i remember him being brilliant away at Bradford. Enjoying a derby win away at scunny in front of the travelling town horde  he must have been buzzing. Then covid happens and it all ends.
Fast forward a couple of years and in his final year of his contract at Burnley he is probably realising that ipremiership dream is unlikely to happen and he has to make a career for himself in the lower leagues. Gets a loan to barrow, starts well then has a nightmare game, fans get on his back maybe and maybe his confidence just unravelled and got into a rut.
At least here he will have afresh start but also the advantage of fans knowing what he is capable of when on form and thus get a bit of slack to get his mojo back. When on song he is easily good enough for this league.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 29, 2022, 11:28pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from toontown
Glennon doesn't seem to have impressed at barrow but He's still only young and we have seen how good he can be.

Probably when he joined us he had hopes and expectations of playing in the premiership one day. He comes down and plays against orient in front of  a massive vocal following, having only previously played in front of 1 man and his dog at u23 level and by all accounts loved it from the off. Impressive performances follow, popular with the fans, i remember him being brilliant away at Bradford. Enjoying a derby win away at scunny in front of the travelling town horde  he must have been buzzing. Then covid happens and it all ends.
Fast forward a couple of years and in his final year of his contract at Burnley he is probably realising that ipremiership dream is unlikely to happen and he has to make a career for himself in the lower leagues. Gets a loan to barrow, starts well then has a nightmare game, fans get on his back maybe and maybe his confidence just unravelled and got into a rut.
At least here he will have afresh start but also the advantage of fans knowing what he is capable of when on form and thus get a bit of slack to get his mojo back. When on song he is easily good enough for this league.

I actually believe he played 4/5 times in the premiership due to how good he was at Burnley. Was the U23’s captain and obviously highly rated by Dyche. I imagine the change in management probably hasn’t helped him or the relegation.

Posted by: toontown, June 29, 2022, 11:40pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I actually believe he played 4/5 times in the premiership due to how good he was at Burnley. Was the U23’s captain and obviously highly rated by Dyche. I imagine the change in management probably hasn’t helped him or the relegation.

Hes player in fa Cup and/or league Cup games for them I believe but hasn't played in the premiership. He has been in premiership matchday squads several times though I think without getting on the pitch.
Posted by: Maringer, June 29, 2022, 11:43pm; Reply: 38
Some players are more effective when the team is on the front foot and I suspect that this was perhaps the case with Glennon at Barrow last season. During the early days of Holloway's time here, we were a very positive team with some good attacking players and that would have helped Glennon, giving him the chance to push forward. Barrow had a really poor season all round and were very low-scoring, only surviving by being less crap than Scunny and Oldham (which is all you need to be, of course), but trying to grind out results might not have helped Glennon show his better aspects.

Hopefully, we'll be on the front foot most of the time next season and will see the best of him, providing he wins the place ahead of Amos. I'd trust Hurst and Doig to help him prove the defensive side of his game if required.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 29, 2022, 11:51pm; Reply: 39
A minority of fans club concerned at fans opinion and Glennon's form at Barrow should remember Waterfall's season during the relegation season of 2021. Some players can only play as well as the others around them, not all players suit a certain playing style and If Anthony can get close to the form he was in during the loan period, we've one hell of a full back for this level!
Posted by: ginnywings, June 30, 2022, 12:02am; Reply: 40
Scunny fans didn't rate McAtee. 'Nuff said.
Posted by: Martz86, June 30, 2022, 5:13am; Reply: 41
Apparently he started very positively at Barrow and slowly regressed as his confidence was sucked from him given how crap Barrow were but there were the likes of Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Hull tracking his progress while at Barrow, it's probably a good thing for us that he didn't join a better performing team than Barrow at the time. He is a fantastic signing at this level.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 30, 2022, 7:01am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Martz86
Apparently he started very positively at Barrow and slowly regressed as his confidence was sucked from him given how crap Barrow were but there were the likes of Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Hull tracking his progress while at Barrow, it's probably a good thing for us that he didn't join a better performing team than Barrow at the time. He is a fantastic signing at this level.

Looking at their forum he started ok, then began to lose a bit of confidence,had an absolute mare v Port Vale and never played again
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 30, 2022, 9:08am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Tommy

He doesn't say he hasn't seen him play, only that he hasn't worked with him before personally.

I very much doubt Hurst would sign anyone having not seen them play at some stage of his career.

As much as Dave may have been consulted PH may have asked Ben Davis or Luke Waterfall but I would imagine before any of that he and Doigy will have gone through a due diligence process that has served them really well in the past.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 1, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 44
I'm still waiting for his video?...club said Friday, wonder if they're holding it back to coincide with a new signing/re-signing today🤔🤔
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 1, 2022, 11:34am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Tommy

Had to rack my brains for a time when we had that situation, 2 fullbacks on both sides that were all good enough to start.  Going back to late 90's/early 2000's with Macca/Butterfield & Gallimore/Dave Smith.  Even then Butterfield and Dave Smith were used elsewhere on more regular basis.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 1, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from diehardmariner

Had to rack my brains for a time when we had that situation, 2 fullbacks on both sides that were all good enough to start.  Going back to late 90's/early 2000's with Macca/Butterfield & Gallimore/Dave Smith.  Even then Butterfield and Dave Smith were used elsewhere on more regular basis.

Last season Crookes & Amos  Cropper and Efete
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 1, 2022, 1:48pm; Reply: 47
Ok, starting the season....
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 1, 2022, 2:19pm; Reply: 48
Sorry diehard I just couldn't resist :D
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 4, 2022, 11:54pm; Reply: 49
https://www.uptheclarets.com/glennon-joins-cropper-at-grimsby
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:08pm