Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, June 28, 2022, 1:24pm
Wembley twice and beat Northampton for promotion. What a season THAT was!

https://twitter.com/90sfootball/status/1541481488775909376
Posted by: Brazilnut, June 28, 2022, 1:59pm; Reply: 1
Forgot how close it was to make the play offs
Posted by: RonMariner, June 28, 2022, 2:14pm; Reply: 2
Ah yes, the semi against Keegan's Fulham.

I loved it when we beat them!
Posted by: DB, June 28, 2022, 2:27pm; Reply: 3
Those were the days. 8) 8) 8)
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 28, 2022, 3:17pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Brazilnut
Forgot how close it was to make the play offs

Yeah, it was a good job we'd qualified before the last game of the season.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 28, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 5
For all the brilliant football that season, our for and against is very Pulissy! Looks very low scoring in general, actually (at a glance).

(T, not A)
Posted by: SteffiMariner, June 28, 2022, 3:39pm; Reply: 6
Wasn't it something like 15 1-0 wins that season?
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 28, 2022, 3:43pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from SteffiMariner
Wasn't it something like 15 1-0 wins that season?

8 during the season, plus 2 in the play-offs.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 28, 2022, 4:02pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RonMariner
Ah yes, the semi against Keegan's Fulham.

I loved it when we beat them!

The whole ground singing keegan keegan what’s the score … neck tingling stuff thinking back
Posted by: RichMariner, June 28, 2022, 4:14pm; Reply: 9
Yeah I'm surprised that we only scored 55 goals that season — Donovan got 19 in the league, didn't he? I remember us hammering Southend and Burnley at home... got a big win away at Bristol Rovers... maybe the cup runs disguised a lack of goals in the league considering we finished third!

Having said that, I'm sure 72 points wouldn't have been enough to make the play-offs in many other seasons!
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 28, 2022, 4:34pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RichMariner
Yeah I'm surprised that we only scored 55 goals that season — Donovan got 19 in the league, didn't he? I remember us hammering Southend and Burnley at home... got a big win away at Bristol Rovers... maybe the cup runs disguised a lack of goals in the league considering we finished third!

Having said that, I'm sure 72 points wouldn't have been enough to make the play-offs in many other seasons!

I'm surprised we conceded 37 to be honest.

I was only 14 but I seem to remember us controlling every match (apart from Fulham at home in Jan), be almost guaranteed a clean sheet and either Donovan or Groves would pounce to give us the three points.

Lifting off the nostalgia specs reveals we only won 1 of the first 8 league matches and only 1 of the last 9!

1.57 ppg.

Whereas Buckley Mark I had the flicks, facial hair and pass and move perversions of some obscure Eastern European side, Mark II was a much more cerebral, Gazzetta Football Italia affair ***

*** that's not a reference to any actual affairs that may or may not have have taken place during that season

Posted by: buckstown, June 28, 2022, 4:49pm; Reply: 11
Interesting to see Wrexham and chesterfield in that table.
How did Wrexham get into such a mess? Please ignore the obvious answer that they’ve been run by a person even less competent than our regimes for the last 23 years
Posted by: Poojah, June 28, 2022, 6:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from RichMariner

It’s easy to forget now, but we finished the 97/98 season really quite poorly at home.

After a turgid 1-0 win against Plymouth on a Tuesday night, we followed that up with one of the dullest nil-nils I’ve ever seen against Gillingham, a 1-0 defeat to Luton, a 2-1 defeat to Barry Hayles and Geoff Horsfield’s Bristol Rovers on Easter Monday and then finished the season by losing 2-0 to Bruce Grobbelaar’s Oldham.

We played some awesome stuff in 97/98 but we topped and tailed the season quite badly in the league.
Posted by: Connecticut Mariner, June 28, 2022, 6:11pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from buckstown
Interesting to see Wrexham and chesterfield in that table.
How did Wrexham get into such a mess? Please ignore the obvious answer that they’ve been run by a person even less competent than our regimes for the last 23 years

A real mixed bag of how top 12 teams have performed since then:
2 now back in Premiership
4 in Championship
1 in League 1
3 in League 2
2 in national League as you point out

Posted by: RexFannies, June 28, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 14
Would have been so unfair if Northampton had beaten us in the final……we finished above them by a clear point in 3rd. I hate it when the team that finishes 6 or 7th go up ;)
Posted by: mariner83, June 29, 2022, 7:30am; Reply: 15

I'm surprised we conceded 37 to be honest.

I was only 14 but I seem to remember us controlling every match (apart from Fulham at home in Jan), be almost guaranteed a clean sheet and either Donovan or Groves would pounce to give us the three points.

Wasn't it 30 / 31 clean sheets that season?
Posted by: aldi_01, June 29, 2022, 7:46am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Poojah

It’s easy to forget now, but we finished the 97/98 season really quite poorly at home.

After a turgid 1-0 win against Plymouth on a Tuesday night, we followed that up with one of the dullest nil-nils I’ve ever seen against Gillingham, a 1-0 defeat to Luton, a 2-1 defeat to Barry Hayles and Geoff Horsfield’s Bristol Rovers on Easter Monday and then finished the season by losing 2-0 to Bruce Grobbelaar’s Oldham.

We played some awesome stuff in 97/98 but we topped and tailed the season quite badly in the league.

Almost the opposite to this season.

I guess the 97/98 season is always remembered fondly because of two Wembley visits and wins, thr Lord and saviours return and some excellent players but are times we were excrement. We got twatted at Bristol city too but I do remember us playing some amazing stuff…
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 2, 2022, 11:09pm; Reply: 17
Teletext has a place in my heart.
Posted by: livvo, July 3, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Teletext has a place in my heart.

And IDLES have a place too obviously

Posted by: Manchester Mariner, July 3, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from livvo

And IDLES have a place too obviously

Very much so.

Not as much as teletext though.
Posted by: livvo, July 3, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 20