Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TuckerJenkins, June 26, 2022, 7:29pm
Be nice to see us more adventurous. About time we had some sexy football at BP.
Posted by: Mikey_345, June 26, 2022, 7:31pm; Reply: 1
Winning football is always sexy…

(Only exception is anything Russell Slade does to
a team)
Posted by: It Bites, June 26, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 2
Alright Row Land
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 26, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from TuckerJenkins

Some of the stuff we played last season was superb.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, June 26, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 4
We played some great stuff at times last season.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 26, 2022, 8:22pm; Reply: 5

I don't particularly care what style of football we play as long as it keeps us safe from the drop back into the horrible National League.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 26, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 6
We got the best value entertainment we've had in years at home last season. The football was great even when we weren't clinical
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 26, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 7

Crikey we have got a tough crowd in tonight.

In actual fact I don't think we have got enough praise for the quality of our football last season, sexy or otherwise, whether we went up or not.

We have about 15 goal-of-the-season contenders with some fantastic intricate play in so many of them, and some of the play well above tier 5 standard.

When you consider the style of play of Wrexham in the semi-final (long ball, percentages from throws and corners) compared to the silky skills of McAtee and co. that is quite sexy enough for me.

I will be honest and say I never thought I would see that quality in a Hurst side. He has fundamentally changed his approach and it is great to see.
Posted by: oochiad, June 26, 2022, 8:29pm; Reply: 8
So that third goal against Wrexham wasn’t sexy???? Jeez we could point out many more, best sexy football we’ve played for years!! UTM!!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, June 26, 2022, 8:37pm; Reply: 9
Sexy football...three of our goals in the play-offs were out there in Holland 74 territory; in the final McAtee is on the deck when he spots the opportunity from the dummy, call's it, get's to his feet and slots it as cool as anything, a goal fitting of Johan himself...
Posted by: ginnywings, June 26, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 10
Compared to last time we were in non league, the standard of football has improved enormously and not just from us.

Really enjoyed a lot more of the games than last time we were in it.

Of course, there is always room for improvement and that comes with moving up the leagues and acquiring more capable players as you go.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 26, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from ginnywings
Compared to last time we were in non league, the standard of football has improved enormously and not just from us.

Really enjoyed a lot more of the games than last time we were in it.

Of course, there is always room for improvement and that comes with moving up the leagues and acquiring more capable players as you go.

There's nothing worse than utilising your no nonsense defender as a ball playing defender. I like Hursts' style, very risk averse in our own half but players are encouraged to express themselves when attacking.

We have all styles in our locker though. Whilst it was very direct, Taylors' goal against Wrexham was a great bit of football. Starting from Crocombe, it was probably in the back of the net in less than 20 seconds.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 26, 2022, 9:14pm; Reply: 12
3rd goal away at Altrincham was absolutely superb

For 65 mins in that game before the ref decided he wanted to be centre stage, we played some of the best football in years
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 26, 2022, 9:16pm; Reply: 13
Crocombe goal kick up to Taylor

Taylor lays it off to McAtee

McAtee drives forward and plays a ball onto a 6 pence

For Taylor to dive header (houchen) into the goal

My god. That is some of the sexiest football you will ever see.
Stick to your sky sports/bt sport subscription lad. Give me a team that is loved by a few over a team that is there for the money any day of the week.

Supporting your home team is special. And we are now in the fortunate position (after years of hurt) of having a team, board and support that are in it together. The saying goes, all town aren’t we, stick with it sunshine. The 1-0 wins are sometimes more glorious than you think
Posted by: moosey_club, June 26, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Hagrid
3rd goal away at Altrincham was absolutely superb

For 65 mins in that game before the ref decided he wanted to be centre stage, we played some of the best football in years

My exact thoughts, superb performance up to that sending off.
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 26, 2022, 11:13pm; Reply: 15
As an exile my grimsby town viewing time is often highlights only.
However it was clear to see the difference between Grimsby town and Wrexham was that we got the ball down on the deck and played ‘sexy’ football.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, June 26, 2022, 11:15pm; Reply: 16

If it’s ‘sexy’ you’re after, take the average 3.5 mins to watch the attached from the start, or if you’re after instant gratification as I suspect you might be, fast forward to 3 minutes 4 seconds and then have a cold shower.

https://youtu.be/Svvvh09o1do
Posted by: It Bites, June 27, 2022, 7:30am; Reply: 17
Quoted from SouthLakesMariner

If it’s ‘sexy’ you’re after, take the average 3.5 mins to watch the attached from the start, or if you’re after instant gratification as I suspect you might be, fast forward to 3 minutes 4 seconds and then have a cold shower.

https://youtu.be/Svvvh09o1do

That 3rd goal is almost in the same calibre of the famous Cockerill goal against Huddersfield
Posted by: golfer, June 27, 2022, 8:51am; Reply: 18

As the teams come out McAtee is wearing stockings and suspenders and Clifton looks absolutely glamorous in pink chiffon negligee
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 27, 2022, 10:38am; Reply: 19
We played decent football last season with the right blend of well worked goals, McAtee worldies, well worked set pieces and on the odd occasion players just throwing themselves at it. If we’d have stuck to one way of playing I’m not sure we’d have got promoted as we just didn’t have the quality in depth.

The standard in the National League has improved a lot, you can tell that by the lack of balls hoofed into Harrington St by opposition defenders during games.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 27, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 20
Our players were thrown together last summer and had just one pre-season to gel.

Then we made changes throughout the season, sending loans back and signing new players. They had no time to settle in.

And we came out the other side playing decent stuff, scoring great goals and winning promotion.

It's hard to get a bunch of players to buy into a style of play if the squad is always changing — unless that style is so clearly laid out, and easily understood, that players can literally walk in and get it. That takes real skill to establish.

Looks like Hurst has done that. Everyone knew their role in the play-offs, from those who played every minute, like Clifton and Waterfall, to the likes of Coke and Abrahams.

Well drilled, well coached, everyone bought into it. I wouldn't say we're longball, either would I say we're known for passing it like under Buckley. It's a mix, which makes us hard to figure out for the opposition.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 27, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from headingly_mariner
We got the best value entertainment we've had in years at home last season. The football was great even when we weren't clinical

This is the nail on the head.

If we finished a lot of our chances, they style of play in the build up gets recognised more.

We have a tough time in the middle of the season, but i don't ever thinking 'this is painful to watch'
Posted by: buckstown, June 27, 2022, 1:40pm; Reply: 22
Sexy and adventurous?
Is that similar to winning 5-4 away at the team with the best home record
Posted by: acko338, June 27, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 23
Hurst seems to have moved towards faster movement and a younger average age group.

If the finished squad has above average abilities and a run of good luck, then it should make for good games, fan happiness and some modicum of success.

If we can get a steady 5,500 to 6000 minimum home crowd early on, get some early wins, then the financial security will roll on, and give the new Directors more scope for the ground and facility improvements, which in turn bring in more fans  and the chance of attracting better players going forward.

Signs are currently good !!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 27, 2022, 9:27pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from acko338
Hurst seems to have moved towards faster movement and a younger average age group.

If the finished squad has above average abilities and a run of good luck, then it should make for good games, fan happiness and some modicum of success.

If we can get a steady 5,500 to 6000 minimum home crowd early on, get some early wins, then the financial security will roll on, and give the new Directors more scope for the ground and facility improvements, which in turn bring in more fans  and the chance of attracting better players going forward.

Signs are currently good !!

I think Hurst now has the backing to move in a different direction rather than last time we came up when the budget ran to a new portacabin and players with good attitudes but questionable ability
Posted by: aldi_01, June 28, 2022, 7:27am; Reply: 25
I think the key is culture and a backing, support all round and the opportunity to lay it out.

We started the season very well but it became apparent that those players either didn’t have the minerals to keep it going or they didn’t buy in to the whole package. Hurst rebuilt and whilst there were moments in the middle where we looked average, we kept plugging away and got our rewards.

We always talk about teams with momentum going in to the playoffs but we were that team and it showed.

Our style is varied, we play some excellent football at times, love the ball quick and play with pace but we can mix it up. We scored two huge goals from a long throw but unlike Parkinson at Wrexham, we had more than that. He expects Tozer to do it all the time and it becomes predictable, we don’t which is why I believe it to be more effective for us.

I think now we’re back in the league we’ll try and play a bit more football but I still expect us to be solid at the back. Hurst will obviously want more goals but after everything last season, in three playoff games we scored 9, not bad for a side that apparently spent all season lacking a striker…

For what it’s worth, I think style of play is irrelevant so long as you win. You hear premier league fans talk about the ‘west ham’ way or whatever but I don’t know what that is, especially with clubs like that Becauee they’ve never won anything so it can’t be that good. Much like Pep and his so called football genius, they win the league but still fail in Europe, is it the pig ignorance and increased self belief that their way is the only way?

All I know is Hurst is backed by the club, which is a great thing and will no doubt make his life easier meaning he’s more relaxed. If there are any fans left doubting Hurst then I’d argue they’re probably just being idiots and clearly players want to play for him, in turn, play for the club.

We could have an excellent chance this season and unlike before, we’ve capitalised…
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:54pm