Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 25, 2022, 2:31pm
[url]https://twitter.com/russla23/status/1540679274872676352?t=eYPxkh4qFQ-p74AtgF0lUQ&s=19[/url]

Who comes in then?
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, June 25, 2022, 2:34pm; Reply: 1
Mckeown player coach..  ;D
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, June 25, 2022, 3:19pm; Reply: 2
Danny Coyne may not be a ridiculous shout, worked as Hurst’s goalkeeping coach at Shrewsbury, currently unemployed after leaving Boro a year ago, knows the club well ?

I guess it all depends on where he lives these days, but wouldn’t be an absurd suggestion.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, June 25, 2022, 3:24pm; Reply: 3
Per the twitter thread above, Aidan Davison is the new Wrexham ‘keeper coach.
Posted by: Croxton, June 25, 2022, 3:27pm; Reply: 4
Wild guess. FGR bound?
Posted by: barrattstandman, June 25, 2022, 4:21pm; Reply: 5
Steve Croudson. McKeown had his best spell under him . Could we prise him from Lincoln ?
Danny Coyne would be a good shout as well
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 25, 2022, 4:35pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Danny Coyne may not be a ridiculous shout, worked as Hurst’s goalkeeping coach at Shrewsbury, currently unemployed after leaving Boro a year ago, knows the club well ?

I guess it all depends on where he lives these days, but wouldn’t be an absurd suggestion.

If his coaching was half as good as his keeping then I'd take him in a heartbeat. I'd suggest though the ground is the same the club is a bit different from when he was here last though.

The best Town I've seen in my 40 odd years of going to BP.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, June 25, 2022, 4:51pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Croxton
Wild guess. FGR bound?

Would make sense Gloucestershire based… Am I right in saying Sam used to always have world class games when playing against us with the likes of Darlo, FGR and the likes
Posted by: lukeo, June 25, 2022, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Would make sense Gloucestershire based… Am I right in saying Sam used to always have world class games when playing against us with the likes of Darlo, FGR and the likes

Yes he did.
Good luck Sam in your next adventure
Posted by: Mariner_501, June 25, 2022, 6:24pm; Reply: 9

My first town hero and still one of my favourite ever players even though I’ve never been a goalkeeper and never wanted to be one.

Sign him up
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2022, 6:41pm; Reply: 10
Can the thread please be retitled to "Russell Leaves" ?

Seriously, all the best Sam.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, June 25, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from barrattstandman
Steve Croudson. McKeown had his best spell under him . Could we prise him from Lincoln ?
Danny Coyne would be a good shout as well

I’m not sure he did to be honest, Andy Warrington improved Macca especially in the promotion season and set him up for his heroics when Jolley kept us up.

Not sure what Warrington is doing now but I recall he’s highly regarded in the lower league game.

I have what will be an unpopular view, I think we should go for the best we can get even if they have no association previously with the club.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 25, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not sure he did to be honest, Andy Warrington improved Macca especially in the promotion season and set him up for his heroics when Jolley kept us up.

Not sure what Warrington is doing now but I recall he’s highly regarded in the lower league game.

I have what will be an unpopular view, I think we should go for the best we can get even if they have no association previously with the club.

Warrington is First Team GK coach at Rotherham so can't imagine him coming back here. Croudson is at Lincoln and they have a new manager so he may use that as his way out.

I know a lot of aspiring keeper coaches are put off becoming one because they have to pass all the outfield badges too.

My random guess is Paul Musselwhite who has been goalkeeper coach at Scunthorpe since 2013 and will have worked with Hurst when he was there. Now might present him with a good opportunity close to home to leave the sinking ship.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 25, 2022, 10:22pm; Reply: 13

Not absurd at all. Playing days long gone, no idea of his coaching abilities.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 25, 2022, 11:04pm; Reply: 14
Using the theory that great players don't necessarily make great coaches, I'd like to see Tommy Forecast take over GK Corner.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 25, 2022, 11:31pm; Reply: 15
Holloway gave Russell a three-year contract in March 2020. Seems it's been cut short — can't tell whether it came at the request of Russell, or if it was mutually terminated.
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2022, 11:40pm; Reply: 16
Pretty sure I could be the next goalie coach if PH will have me.

My methods:
1. If a cross comes near you flipping catch it
2. If someone shoots get in the flipping way of it
3. If you are in possession just boot the fornicator as far up the pitch as you can

There you go, not rocket science is it?
Posted by: moosey_club, June 26, 2022, 12:18am; Reply: 17
Quoted from pizzzza
Pretty sure I could be the next goalie coach if PH will have me.

My methods:
1. If a cross comes near you flipping catch it
2. If someone shoots get in the flipping way of it
3. If you are in possession just boot the fornicator as far up the pitch as you can

There you go, not rocket science is it?

Ffs.    You missed out the modern day stuff.....make yourself available to the back four to receive a pass,  try a Cruyff turn when getting closed down, don't ever panic , if under pressure pass it to someone who is under even more pressure
Posted by: fishboyUTM, June 26, 2022, 1:30am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mariner_501

My first town hero and still one of my favourite ever players even though I’ve never been a goalkeeper and never wanted to be one.

Sign him up

Missed out mate. I've broken every finger and my thumb and wrist in my left hand. Feeling them now at 46 in the winter but happy as long as I made the save.
Posted by: aldi_01, June 26, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

Ffs.    You missed out the modern day stuff.....make yourself available to the back four to receive a pass,  try a Cruyff turn when getting closed down, don't ever panic , if under pressure pass it to someone who is under even more pressure

And don’t forget, when winning in a high profile game, you go down with cramp even though you haven’t got it and then, when you stand up, you get it in the other leg…
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 26, 2022, 9:07am; Reply: 20
Russell must be one of the most popular recent opposition players purely because he was constantly class against us. Wish him well and hope he enjoys the time with his family.
Posted by: Poojah, June 26, 2022, 9:26am; Reply: 21
Quoted from pontoonlew
Russell must be one of the most popular recent opposition players purely because he was constantly class against us. Wish him well and hope he enjoys the time with his family.

Yep, he sticks in my mind going all the way back to Slade’s first game at Darlo on that baking hot day in 2004.

Also seem to recall Martin Gritton scoring a penalty against him, only for the ref to make him re-take it due to encroachment. He saved the re-take, of course.

I can very rarely remember us getting the better of him, or being on the winning side.
Posted by: Maringer, June 26, 2022, 9:54am; Reply: 22
Didn't we have to retake the penalty twice that day? A long time ago, but I remember being outraged at the referee's performance though, yes, Russell always seemed to have a worldie of a performance against us.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 26, 2022, 10:09am; Reply: 23
He had 2 blinders against us in 04/05. He also played 12 NL games against us between 2010 and 2016 but I'd be lying if I said I could remember him in any of them!
Posted by: Poojah, June 26, 2022, 10:22am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19
He had 2 blinders against us in 04/05. He also played 12 NL games against us between 2010 and 2016 but I'd be lying if I said I could remember him in any of them!

Didn’t he play another blinder for Darlo in the infamous Rob Scott “we haven’t got no fackin’ manny” game in 2011?
Posted by: Abdul19, June 26, 2022, 10:33am; Reply: 25
Any wondersaves made that day undone by Serge Makofo scoring past him  ;)
Posted by: Deckhand, June 26, 2022, 3:12pm; Reply: 26
I wonder who got the job as the players are back training tomorrow 🤔 👀
Posted by: DB, June 26, 2022, 3:24pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Deckhand
I wonder who got the job as the players are back training tomorrow 🤔 👀

According to the GT it's July 4th!

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-town-training-return-date-7249860
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 8:27pm