Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, May 24, 2022, 7:24am
What an absolutely brilliant night to be a Mariner, and a brilliant night to take along my youngest for her first game. One of the most professional performances I have seen from a Town team in my 30 + years of supporting them, with the penalty only being a blip on what was a measured victory. Every single one of them worked their socks off out there, Fox was sublime, put himself about and ran himself into the ground all evening. Waterfall and Smith I can't remember how many vital blocks they made but it seemed between them and Crocombe they were like a wall all evening.

It would have been a bitter pill to swallow had we have gone out last night as we were easily the better side and played some lovely stuff. I just want to say thanks to the lady who sat in front of us who broke out the emergency Haribo when it got all a little bit too much for my little one as Notts County were about to snatch victory, it was certainly worth a late night for her in the end she says.

Enjoy today Mariners

UTM

Roll on Saturday
Posted by: RonMariner, May 24, 2022, 7:38am; Reply: 1
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
What an absolutely brilliant night to be a Mariner, and a brilliant night to take along my youngest for her first game. One of the most professional performances I have seen from a Town team in my 30 + years of supporting them, with the penalty only being a blip on what was a measured victory. Every single one of them worked their socks off out there, Fox was sublime, put himself about and ran himself into the ground all evening. Waterfall and Smith I can't remember how many vital blocks they made but it seemed between them and Crocombe they were like a wall all evening.

It would have been a bitter pill to swallow had we have gone out last night as we were easily the better side and played some lovely stuff. I just want to say thanks to the lady who sat in front of us who broke out the emergency Haribo when it got all a little bit too much for my little one as Notts County were about to snatch victory, it was certainly worth a late night for her in the end she says.

Enjoy today Mariners

UTM

Roll on Saturday

A truly unforgettable night.
Posted by: toontown, May 24, 2022, 8:45am; Reply: 2
The morning after the night before - what a game! What a comeback! Delirious!!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 24, 2022, 8:53am; Reply: 3
Me and my lads all woken up high as kites still. Fox was clear man of the match but Erico Sousa deserves huge credit. Who thought he'd play 120 minutes and he did his defensive work brilliantly. Might have still been the lack of end product but he got us up the pitch and put them on the backfoot especially in extra time. Just been on a Notts forum and someone was saying they should tey to buy him to bring some steel to their midfield  ;D
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 24, 2022, 9:01am; Reply: 4
All heroes and worked extremely hard.  Some individual players rightly got special praise.

I would like to highlight 2 players who have some criticism.  Crocombe was very solid and reliable all night. He did not make any spectacular saves (he did not need to). He did not make any errors, in a critical game with a big crowd against him.

Waterfall made that header at the end.  He also covered a lot of ground quickly to make a key tackle when their player was running at our goal.  Such determination.

We have a free hit on Sat. Glasgow Rangers have showed this season what team spirit, determination and sheer hard work can do against the odds.  Technically, we have won our last 3 playoff matches - all away from BP.  2 after ET, without the lottery of pens.  Braintree the other.
Posted by: toontown, May 24, 2022, 9:02am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Me and my lads all woken up high as kites still. Fox was clear man of the match but Erico Sousa deserves huge credit. Who thought he'd play 120 minutes and he did his defensive work brilliantly. Might have still been the lack of end product but he got us up the pitch and put them on the backfoot especially in extra time. Just been on a Notts forum and someone was saying they should tey to buy him to bring some steel to their midfield  ;D

Haha! They must have a very unsteely midfield then!

But yeah he had a great game in terms of being that out ball in tight situations and getting us up the pitch. He even got a shot on target at the near post towards the end (I think)
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 24, 2022, 10:33am; Reply: 6

I had to read this twice to make sure you were still talking about Sousa! If he's going to add steel to their midfield their players must have been sh*tting themselves when Fox and Holohan were flying into tackles (and McAtee, who nearly put the full back into the stand early on).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 24, 2022, 10:48am; Reply: 7
No big names, no big fees and according to that bell chopper Adam Virgo they had the most technically gifted player in the NL.

What we’ve got is a manager who knows what he’s doing, complete unity, team spirit, guts, heart, desire, work ethic and a group of players that don’t want to let anyone down. Last night was a great illustration of that long may it continue!!
Posted by: blackandwhitelaces, May 24, 2022, 10:49am; Reply: 8
Where Grimsby ....WE DONT GIVE UP  ..😀😀
Posted by: RonMariner, May 24, 2022, 11:30am; Reply: 9
Think we need to get Fox signed up for next year before someone else does.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 24, 2022, 11:54am; Reply: 10
Based on what I have seen, I would not take any County player over a Town player.

This taken from the Notts forum

"We just did not seem “at it” from the get go and in fairness Grimsby got their tactics spot on which is to stop us playing football. They pressed us well and gave us no space. They forced mistakes and errors from us in our own half which then put us under pressure. We tried to get the ball down the channels but in the final third the weight of our passes were to heavy on occasions so came to nothing. Or we were picked off. There were a number of occasions where we were a kick or pass from going on the counter attack but it broke down or we were too slow. Too many crosses were allowed into our box and we let them run at us from the halfway line to the edge of our box without putting a tackle in. At times we looked like we lacked energy and as though Grimsby had an extra player. At one point it looked inevitable that Grimsby would score first. After we scored the penalty that was our chance to be ruthless and go on and finish the job and put the game to bed but we couldn’t and instead it was a repeat of what we’ve seen before this season whereby we got pushed further and further back and ultimately collapsed and could not see the game out. The first half of extra time was about the best we played the entire game.

There are no complaints from me we’ve never looked the deal all season and we have lacked the aggression, leadership and character and mental toughness required to be champions or to get promoted.

[/b]Grimsby’s tactics were as old as the hills high balls over the defence and behind into space, cross field balls from RB or LB into space behind and putting into the ball into the box and into the mix from set pieces. Much the same as the Cowleys and Mr Yer Know (Paul Cox) the classic way teams at this level win games and have got out of this league. Coupled with that aggression. There was about one or two players who would get in the Notts team, but Paul Hursts team are the ones in the semi final just like Gary Johnson’s team got to the final last season.[b]
Posted by: RonMariner, May 24, 2022, 12:26pm; Reply: 11
One or two town players that would get into the Notts team?????

I wonder which game he was watching last night?
Posted by: mariner91, May 24, 2022, 1:24pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from The Yard Dog

[/b]Grimsby’s tactics were as old as the hills high balls over the defence and behind into space, cross field balls from RB or LB into space behind and putting into the ball into the box and into the mix from set pieces. Much the same as the Cowleys and Mr Yer Know (Paul Cox) the classic way teams at this level win games and have got out of this league. Coupled with that aggression. There was about one or two players who would get in the Notts team, but Paul Hursts team are the ones in the semi final just like Gary Johnson’s team got to the final last season.[b]

Nothing quite like rose tinted specs! I'd have taken a maximum of two of their players in our starting line up (Chicksen and Rodrigues). We also played through their midfield virtually all game. I can't remember a single time they played through us, just went with long balls down the line.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 24, 2022, 5:05pm; Reply: 13
What a bell sniff.

We’ve literally played the exact style and shape against them twice and they didn’t figure it out either time and have conceded carbon copy goals.

If they think the way we play is long ball then they’ve never seen a long ball team…

They lad that got MOM for them was dreadful and in truth, the only way they were gonna get something was a dodgy decision which they duly got…

Last night was probably the best thing experience I’ve had as a town fan, barring the obvious games, but scoring two last minute goals that mattered like that, the performance, the fans, everything…
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 24, 2022, 5:16pm; Reply: 14

Me and my lad ( CatchOfTheDay ) called in to a McDs to get coffees on the way out of Nottingham and there were a few of their fans in there giving us a bit of a begrudging eye

I can sympathise having seen us lose to them in the last minute at home and then having to share a train with them celebrating their win

While we were wating for our order in there however a guy with official Notts County garb came in and said to us how well we'd played and that we deserved it

He gave particular reference to both Ben Fox and to Erico Sousa saying they ran the show for us.... hard to disagree with that

Not sure who he might have been to be honest but he said he'd played at this level for Mansfield and still had contact with Liam Hearn

Nice to have been able to have a chat with someone who appreciated our game and our team for what it is - really good for this level and just too good for his boys on the night

#UTM #ATAW

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 24, 2022, 6:15pm; Reply: 15
There are a few clubs in this league who have an annoying sense of entitlement in regard to getting out of this league and Notts County now fall into this bracket.

If their side are that good how come they finished 5th, everyone touts their manager as some kind of coaching genius but that’s twice now we’ve done a job on them in pretty much the same manner.

Not relative to last night and I may be wrong here but didn’t Whooton end up there because Hurst thought he had a bad attitude when he was in charge of the Scunthorpe?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 24, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 16
I couldn't watch their brand of football every week. It makes me so anxious watching a team constantly take short goal kicks. Maybe I'm old fashioned but keep it simple in your own half and then start taking risks.

We aren't long ball, I think we are a mixture of patient and direct.
Posted by: Poojah, May 24, 2022, 7:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from aldi_01
Last night was probably the best thing experience I’ve had as a town fan, barring the obvious games, but scoring two last minute goals that mattered like that, the performance, the fans, everything…

Funny you say that, because you looked a sea of calm and tranquility to me. Like zen personified.

Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone clear 14 steps in a tenth of a second like that before, so last night really was a night of firsts in so many ways.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 24, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 18
What PH did was negate the strongest part of their team, which is the front three, who have scored 50 odd goals between them. Pressed them high and didn't give them time to develop attacks and get their goalscorers in dangerous positions with time and space.

It's not always a good thing to have most of your goal threat up front, because if they can be contained, you are half way there.

I suspect they don't score a lot of scruffy goals like we did.
Posted by: Poojah, May 24, 2022, 8:02pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
What PH did was negate the strongest part of their team, which is the front three, who have scored 50 odd goals between them. Pressed them high and didn't give them time to develop attacks and get their goalscorers in dangerous positions with time and space.

It's not always a good thing to have most of your goal threat up front, because if they can be contained, you are half way there.

I suspect they don't score a lot of scruffy goals like we did.

Sounds like their own club doctor negated Callum Roberts for us. Whoopsie!

Quoted Text
I'd just like to address some of the fans who are now calling me injury prone again. Before the game I took an injection to get me through 120 minutes of football. Unfortunately, this didn't go to plan and numbed my whole leg and foot which meant I wasn't able to run and kick properly.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-grimsby-callum-roberts-7120977.amp
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 24, 2022, 8:09pm; Reply: 20
Last night was right up there with the greatest ever nights since I have been going since the early 60s.

I cannot ever remember scoring two goals like that before, more or less the last kick of both normal time and also extra time, and the euphoria was off the scale. I doubt I have ever celebrated like that before at any game. To be honest I didn't think I had that much energy in me!

I think it was the manner of the win that mattered as well. We never reverted to hoof ball despite the minutes ticking by; we never lost our composure and how many times is that now we have rescued a lost cause?

We were the better team. We were the better team in both the other games against the same opponents and a very interesting thing is we have got match-winners to come off the bench. That is a very big plus because Wrexham fans have been pretty downbeat about their first (and pretty good) first eleven having to play all the games because they don't seem to have the strength in depth to change it up.

We are on a high and I am not sure Wrexham are; their strength is their forward line and if we can do the same to them as we did to Notts we have a great chance as their defence and midfield are attracting a lot of stick from their own fans.

I know we had cramp issues last night, but Wrexham's players have played an awful lot of football, and had a tiring and rather chastening Wembley appearance the day before so it is finely balanced.
Posted by: ska face, May 24, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 21
Think last night was almost as good as it gets in the space of a single match, scarcely believable in terms of the timing of the goals. For all the punditry, stattos, noise, marketing and absolute guff that surrounds football nowadays, the best thing about it is the opportunity to experience the purest, most intense feeling of schadenfreude. Nothing comes close. Orgasmic.

Notts had realistically been battered all match, were awarded a soft pen after a foul on Smith and looked set to have undeservedly snatched it. 20 mins of time wasting, of their right back ambling over to take a throw, of the keeper moving at a glacial pace, their fans giving it a load and messages about keeping off the pitch. I’m sure one of their fans ran off with the ball into the stand at one point. Then bang. Keeper in the box, scramble, equaliser. Never known a feeling like it. You could feel the life draining out of the other three stands. The sound of 10,000 hearts breaking simultaneously. The noise after the equaliser will stay with me forever, absolute bedlam, an explosion in the middle of a vacuum. It was like being at the centre of the Big Bang.

That’s what you get for trying to attack when we’ve a player down with cramp ye cûnts.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 24, 2022, 9:53pm; Reply: 22
The fat lad in the green that ran off with the ball when the ball went out for our free kick should be credited with an assist the flipping melt.

The noise was immense and town fans were rocking all night, no drops in atmosphere and that equaliser. My heart literally pounded. It killed County off and during the second half of extra time when town were still running their balderdash off and getting at them, I had a quick look around the ground and they were shell shocked and deep down you could tell they didn’t fancy it, knowing they’d not had a great game and were looking at getting away with one…

Probably, as I said earlier, my greatest game as a town fan if you excludes the obvious games…
Posted by: RobDef1, May 25, 2022, 12:01am; Reply: 23
Finally about to go to bed due to getting in late and being up for work 2 hours later, and to be honest, still in a state of shock at one of the best nights following town I've ever enjoyed. There have been some incredible ups to go with the drawn out downs this season but last night absolutely tops the lot, so far.

One of those nights where I'll probably spend the rest of my town days smiling and nodding at those that were in the seats near me every time I see them at BP in the future.

Thoughts are with the old chap next to me who, like me, went alone. Had some really good chats with him throughout until he, unlike me, left in the 95th minute to ensure he didn't get a parking ticket. If you're reading this mate, my sincerest condolences.

Won't be at Wrexham, not even going to try for a ticket, haven't got it in me. But I would love to watch in on a massive screen somewhere in Grimsby.
Posted by: Brazilnut, May 25, 2022, 12:24am; Reply: 24

Won't be at Wrexham, not even going to try for a ticket, haven't got it in me. But I would love to watch in on a massive screen somewhere in Grimsby.[/quote]

Try the no1 pub 4 tv's 2 drop down projector screens
Posted by: RobDef1, May 25, 2022, 12:25am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Brazilnut

Won't be at Wrexham, not even going to try for a ticket, haven't got it in me. But I would love to watch in on a massive screen somewhere in Grimsby.

Try the no1 pub 4 tv's 2 drop down projector screens [/quote]

Awesome thanks mate. UTM
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 25, 2022, 12:26am; Reply: 26
Quoted from HertsGTFC
There are a few clubs in this league who have an annoying sense of entitlement in regard to getting out of this league and Notts County now fall into this bracket.

I'm fairly sure we were in that bracket for a good number of years the last time.

Posted by: aldi_01, May 25, 2022, 6:14am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I'm fairly sure we were in that bracket for a good number of years the last time.

I don’t think ever had a sense of entitlement, annoyed at being down here, yes but entitled, I don’t think so. We had a few fans who seem to think we should be in the championship still and some are still derogatory to the small teams but on the whole I think we knew very much why we were where we were. Looking back I’m sure many fans realise certain people got away with stuff, may be because Hurst built a solid team year on year.

As for the bloke that left to avoid a ticket, school boy error. The 60 quid fine, has he ever got one would’ve been worth it to see that.
Posted by: grimps, May 25, 2022, 7:00am; Reply: 28
It’s great seeing a a Hurst team playing with no pressure on them , we’re no expected to go up this season yet Wrexham have a Netflix documentary anticipating their success.
I know it’s going to be a tough ask but I’d like to see us ruin their TV ratings
Posted by: quebec38, May 25, 2022, 8:20pm; Reply: 29
Just beginning to process Monday, I think. It was the perfect game from us really. It just felt like we did everything right and if we were to have gone out to the penalty then you’d just have to say “one of those games”. But we kept going literally to the last second. Every one of Hurst’s subs were bang on, timing and personnel. Even  the late Coke sub, coming on and adding some energy and bite at a time when others were tiring.

Players and staff were excellent, as were the fans. I felt proud walking back to the car of the fans as much as the players. Everyone did the town proud.

Has anyone heard from ncfc_chalky yet?? Assuming he has crawled back under wherever he came from 🤣
Posted by: RobDef1, May 25, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

I don’t think ever had a sense of entitlement, annoyed at being down here, yes but entitled, I don’t think so. We had a few fans who seem to think we should be in the championship still and some are still derogatory to the small teams but on the whole I think we knew very much why we were where we were. Looking back I’m sure many fans realise certain people got away with stuff, may be because Hurst built a solid team year on year.

As for the bloke that left to avoid a ticket, school boy error. The 60 quid fine, has he ever got one would’ve been worth it to see that.

Of course it would have been worth it but that's after the fact isn't it? There was a minute left, we weren't up to much, and he saw a chance to save himself 60 quid. Would I do that? No, but I still feel incredibly sorry for him, he was a lovely guy lol
Posted by: Poojah, May 25, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from RobDef1

Of course it would have been worth it but that's after the fact isn't it? There was a minute left, we weren't up to much, and he saw a chance to save himself 60 quid. Would I do that? No, but I still feel incredibly sorry for him, he was a lovely guy lol

That was the most remarkable thing about what happened, for me. The game was dead. We had a brief resurgence for 5 minutes after the goal, and then Notts County looked to have done a decent job in slowing down and killing the game.

I was absolutely convinced there was no way back for Town. I wouldn’t have left the game early, but I did get as far as texting the wife to say I was about to head back and what time I’d be home. Literally a minute later I had to text her back to say “Err…scratch that, it’s gone to extra time”.

I couldn’t believe it then and I still can’t now.
Posted by: aldi_01, May 25, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 32
I’m still in shock to be honest; my kid can’t process it. I’d resigned myself to another year in non league and acruslly I was happy about our season.

I’d figured it out and whilst losing to a shite decision would’ve been hard, I knew we could hold our heads high. Then we got a free kick which could’ve been a penalty and then, well…as Poojah said, I was Zen personified.
Posted by: Brazilnut, May 25, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from quebec38
Just beginning to process Monday, I think. It was the perfect game from us really. It just felt like we did everything right and if we were to have gone out to the penalty then you’d just have to say “one of those games”. But we kept going literally to the last second. Every one of Hurst’s subs were bang on, timing and personnel. Even  the late Coke sub, coming on and adding some energy and bite at a time when others were tiring.

Players and staff were excellent, as were the fans. I felt proud walking back to the car of the fans as much as the players. Everyone did the town proud.

Has anyone heard from ncfc_chalky yet?? Assuming he has crawled back under wherever he came from[b][/b] 🤣

He reappeared the morning after and was Very Gracious in defeat .......said some really nice things  ....find his thread  
Posted by: MarinerRob, May 25, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 34
ncfc_chalky reply as follows. What a change from the usual nastiness:  

Quoted Text
Well it's the next day and 12 hours later and the shock of that goal in the 96th minute still hasn't sunk in yet but there's no point in mopping about it because that's why football is so special to all of us, seconds to go and I almost heading to the exit to beat the crowd only to sit back down again shellshocked as your fans was going mental in the Sirrell,a great performance by Grimsby who wanted it more than Notts and your fans created a great atmosphere throughout the game,it's strange how you can genuinely feel sick just over a goal in a football match but that equaliser was like a punch in the stomach and at that point I knew that we wasn't going to go through
Your fans did the club proud on the night and was definitely the 12th man,you will go into Saturday as underdogs but you can see that as an advantage just as you did last night,I can just imagine how great that you must feel today with only two games away from League Two,if the team goes to Wrexham in the same frame of mind as last night then they will do it

Thanks for all of the upvotes,I honestly wasn't expecting anywhere as many as that,infact I thought maybe half a dozen or so and loads of ❌'s which I asked for so it's appreciated and humbling

I will pop back when you get to the final 😎

Chalky
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 25, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from aldi_01

The noise was immense and town fans were rocking all night,

I had a quick look around the ground and they were shell shocked and deep down you could tell they didn’t fancy it, knowing they’d not had a great game and were looking at getting away with one…

This sums up my feelings exactly,the shock of that goal felt like a sucker punch and to top it off just when I knew that it would be going to penalties it happened again,it's probably the best game this season that I've seen,maybe not in quality but the overall atmosphere and experience was second to non,just a pity about the result but that's football,I take some comfort in that you lads thought that it was also a great game,I watched the Halifax v Chesterfield game and ours drunk all over that so well done lads
Posted by: aldi_01, May 25, 2022, 9:36pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

This sums up my feelings exactly,the shock of that goal felt like a sucker punch and to top it off just when I knew that it would be going to penalties it happened again,it's probably the best game this season that I've seen,maybe not in quality but the overall atmosphere and experience was second to non,just a pity about the result but that's football,I take some comfort in that you lads thought that it was also a great game,I watched the Halifax v Chesterfield game and ours drunk all over that so well done lads

Would have to agree, the game last night was drab compared to ours, just a regular non league affair. I’m well aware that Chesterfield fans are probably buzzing and rightly so but the game wasn’t exciting or in the ways our game was.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 25, 2022, 11:03pm; Reply: 37
Just goes to show that all the best teams play in black and white!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2022, 1:29pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from RonMariner
Just goes to show that all the best teams play in black and white!

I've got a mate ( well more of a good acquaintance ) who is a Notts fan

I went with him to see our game when we won 2-0 to stay up in the Newell era ( the "where you there" game that was a big photo in the ticket office at the time )

He was also convinced they'd be promoted in 2018 and we'd be going down..... totally wrong

The following year they did go down and I wondered when our paths would cross again

Sooner than I thought with our own relegation last season ( though no one will ever convince me we'd have gone down if we could have been there to support our team )

What it did set up though was three thrilling games this season.... all decided at the death and to be fair could have gone either way

I was gutted when we lost at home ( especially being on the train with all the jubilant Notts fans ) but that late afternoon winner in February was a kind of payback in some ways. Honours even so to say

Until Monday night and the script could not have been written any better for us travelling Mariners and any worse for the home fans

When all is said and done, for drama alone, I don't think any of us or any neutrals could have witnessed such a game too often in our lives

I kept on saying aloud on the drive home that I couldn't believe it..... I really did think we were done for but we kept it going and then some

So on to Wrexham and who knows what next but whether we succeed or not, I'll certainly be looking forward to our next encounters by the Humber and by the Trent 🏁
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:39am