Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 4:52pm
I presume that it's nearing squeaky bum time for you lads eh?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 22, 2022, 5:01pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

Has your boss been to see his new vegan mate today?
Posted by: pizzzza, May 22, 2022, 5:02pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I would say so, anyone from either side who isn't both a little nervous and excited for tomorrow's game should not consider themselves a proper football supporter
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 5:13pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Has your boss been to see his new vegan mate today?

It wouldn't surprise me if there has been some commutation along the way somewhere,in a recent interview he wouldn't confirm nor deny anything,I've got a horrible feeling...
Posted by: male private Nale, May 22, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 4
The question is will you wear you scarves outside? when the rampaging hordes descend
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 22, 2022, 6:23pm; Reply: 5
Posting a thread entitled 'It's a bit quiet on here today ..' is a bit like...

erecting a sign saying "Please do not throw stones at this sign".

I'm with Pizzzza - if you ain't squeaky bum you ain't real.
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 6
To be honest I just put the thread up to see if I could get some of the wums going 😏👍
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 22, 2022, 6:32pm; Reply: 7
I’m nervous about tomorrow but optimistic that we can get the result.

What did Roosevelt say? “We have nothing to fear but fear itself “.
Posted by: denni266, May 22, 2022, 7:07pm; Reply: 8
We all have other things to do apart from football .   Me well i just had two nice days relaxing fishing , Something you should know about having the mighty Trent on your door step.. Only two good things to come out of nottingham.. one is the Trent  and the other is us coming home with a win  ;) Again
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from denni266
We all have other things to do apart from football .   Me well i just had two nice days relaxing fishing , Something you should know about having the mighty Trent on your door step.. Only two good things to come out of nottingham.. one is the Trent  and the other is us coming home with a win  ;) Again

I didn't know that the fishing season had started yet,I was sat by the Trent myself this morning at Stoke Bardoff just relaxing and watching the world go by,sometimes the anglers come over and start chatting and they all say that the Trent is nowhere as good as it was in the past for fishing, is this local to the Trent or have the fish stocks disappeared in general,what's it like where you fish?
Posted by: Hagrid, May 22, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 10
Classic Virgin
Posted by: Kris2, May 22, 2022, 7:23pm; Reply: 11
Nobody is worried about facing you, be more worried about becoming the Leeds of the NL by blowing it every year than what we think if I were you. Not even another scam artist roping in a former England manager trying to get North Korea to give you a line of credit will save you now.

First time you blew it in the finals, then you blew it in the semi, I guess next you'll blow it in the quarter finals, maybe you won't even make the playoffs after that.  ;D
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 7:26pm; Reply: 12
Just when I thought that I wouldn't hook one 😂🤣😂
Posted by: Poojah, May 22, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
I have to say, I’m genuinely very relaxed about things as they stand. Looking at it objectively, there are 6 teams going into this play-off campaign; 1 will get promoted, 5 won’t.

If you work on the basis we have a 50/50 chance of winning any game we enter, that works out at a chance of 12.5%, or 1 in 8 of going all the way. If you assume it’s slightly less than 50/50 given our lack of home advantage, then it probably falls somewhere between 1 in 10 to 12. Like every other side going into the play-offs, we are more likely to lose at some stage than we are to win promotion.

But that doesn’t overly concern me. To be where we are at this stage in the club’s recovery under our new ownership is an achievement in itself, and whatever happens over the next fortnight I am confident that we’ll go into next season far stronger than we did in August last year.

I’m working on the basis that should we lose at Notts County, which we may well do, then it’s not that big a deal in the scheme of things. If we do get a win at Meadow Lane tomorrow night, and anything at all beyond that, it’s just a huge, huge bonus.

Whilst I’m sure there’ll be a few nerves jangling come this time tomorrow, I can honestly say I’ve never felt so relaxed about a play-off tie in my entire life following Town. I hope the players and staff feel in a similar way; there is no pressure on us for once.
Posted by: denni266, May 22, 2022, 7:41pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I didn't know that the fishing season had started yet,I was sat by the Trent myself this morning at Stoke Bardoff just relaxing and watching the world go by,sometimes the anglers come over and start chatting and they all say that the Trent is nowhere as good as it was in the past for fishing, is this local to the Trent or have the fish stocks disappeared in general,what's it like where you fish?

Your quite right  still shut untill 16 june . But you have canals that are open .. and yes i would agree not as good as it used to be . like our teams  ;D
Posted by: denni266, May 22, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
Just when I thought that I wouldn't hook one 😂🤣😂

A bite a chuck .. Didnt want you to feel unloved ; lol
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 16
Very well put Poojah,I would say that the odds on Grimsby winning are 60/40,they are playing away from home,they won the last time that we played so have nothing to fear aannddd... Notts usually intercourse up important games,both clubs need to win three games on the bounce and that's a tough ask when you are playing the top clubs in your league
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 22, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I didn't know that the fishing season had started yet,I was sat by the Trent myself this morning at Stoke Bardoff[b][/b] just relaxing and watching the world go by,sometimes the anglers come over and start chatting and they all say that the Trent is nowhere as good as it was in the past for fishing, is this local to the Trent or have the fish stocks disappeared in general,what's it like where you fish?

My god, I was there last week for work....at the sewage works!..bloody stank!..
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 22, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 18
Excellent post Mr Poojah.
Exactly as I feel and if things don’t work out in the play offs - looking forward to the club building forward to next season.

Having said that - Town were doing fantastically well this season until the massive blip last Christmas / New Year. I hope that type of blip can be neutralised next season - whether we’re in this league or the one above.
UTM
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 22, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

My god, I was there last week for work....at the sewage works!..bloody stank!..

That wasn't me honest 😂

Yeah that's where I sit,where the water flows out to the Trent near the Ferry Boat pub,tbh there's no smell just there as the wind usually takes it in the opposite direction but I know what you mean
Posted by: wuffing, May 22, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

It's Sunday. People rest on a Sunday.!
Posted by: newarkmariner, May 22, 2022, 8:33pm; Reply: 21
Im very excited and a little nervous for tomorrow night,as others have said its a free hit as nobody expected us to be in the playoffs and all the pressure is on County,and if truth be told,if we dont go up ,i want Wrexham to win it ,because that would mean  great away days at Notts ,Chesterfield,Halifax, Oldham, York, Gateshead(full weekend on it in the toon) and the scunts. Its a win win as far as im concerned. UTFM
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, May 22, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 22
Gateshead is the most soulless stadium on the planet.
Posted by: Mariner_501, May 22, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 23
Weird going into the play offs and expecting nothing. Don’t think the team are good enough but also feels freeing like there is nothing to lose so let’s go for it
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 22, 2022, 9:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Heswall Mariner
Gateshead is the most soulless stadium on the planet.

Don Valley  (v Rotherham) was as bad.

Posted by: RonMariner, May 22, 2022, 10:41pm; Reply: 25
In the PH interview he agreed that the external pressure seemed less than in previous playoffs where expectations were higher.

This could be a very good thing if the players can go out and play with less stress. I do think there is far more pressure on Notts.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 22, 2022, 11:18pm; Reply: 26

The way I see it anything from here is a bonus, great if we go up at the first attempt but Hurst will have us right up there next season if we don't.

In Hurst I trust.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 23, 2022, 6:33am; Reply: 27
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
both clubs need to win three games on the bounce and that's a tough ask when you are playing the top clubs in your league

This is true, but also true for the other teams in the playoffs. Wrexham thinking it is a forgone conclusion? Be my guest. Solihull thinking we will be a pushover? Yes please.

Posted by: aldi_01, May 23, 2022, 6:47am; Reply: 28
I think, even after what I’d consider two shite defeats, there’s a level arrogance that surrounds Wrexham that won’t be a help.

I’d argue the there’s probably three teams in the playoffs nobody has really spoken or seems to care about; us, chesterfield (their form has been woeful) and Halifax. Halifax never seem to lose yet so throw in a shitty draw. At our place for a good 40 minutes we battered them and deserved more than a draw.

They’re all beatable and the luxury for us, as fans anyway, is that there’s zero pressure. This season is a huge success on the dross of previous years, we’re probably in front of our development plan and to some extent it’s a free hit. Now we’re in them nobody wants to lose but after the disaster of last year, a mid table finish would’ve been a success…

I’m relatively calm going in to it which is a first…
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 23, 2022, 8:11am; Reply: 29
Quoted from BeijingMariner

This is true, but also true for the other teams in the playoffs. Wrexham thinking it is a forgone conclusion? Be my guest. Solihull thinking we will be a pushover? Yes please.

I'm more worried about Solihull than I am about Grimsby tbh with Neil Ardley in charge there,it would be ironic if we got beat by our previous managers next club and they went up,very much Notts style
Posted by: Poojah, May 23, 2022, 8:17am; Reply: 30
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I'm more worried about Solihull than I am about Grimsby tbh with Neil Ardley in charge there,it would be ironic if we got beat by our previous managers next club and they went up,very much Notts style

There’s an easy way to avoid that from happening, y’know…
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 23, 2022, 9:56am; Reply: 31
Quoted from aldi_01
I think, even after what I’d consider two shite defeats, there’s a level arrogance that surrounds Wrexham that won’t be a help.

I’d argue the there’s probably three teams in the playoffs nobody has really spoken or seems to care about; us, chesterfield (their form has been woeful) and Halifax. Halifax never seem to lose yet so throw in a shitty draw. At our place for a good 40 minutes we battered them and deserved more than a draw.

They’re all beatable and the luxury for us, as fans anyway, is that there’s zero pressure. This season is a huge success on the dross of previous years, we’re probably in front of our development plan and to some extent it’s a free hit. Now we’re in them nobody wants to lose but after the disaster of last year, a mid table finish would’ve been a success…

I’m relatively calm going in to it which is a first…

If Chesterfield beat Halifax then their bad form going into the play-offs suddenly counts for nothing and you have to take them seriously. Solihull in the final is my biggest fear but I think Halifax will get to the final. I was very impressed with them, yes we went at them for 40 minutes of continuous pressure but they were so disciplined at the back, it took an absolute peach of a cross at the death to equalise. They've conceded 35 goals all season (Stockport 38, Solihull 45, Grimsby and Wrexham 46).

I think whoever wins tonight will beat Wrexham on Saturday.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, May 23, 2022, 1:32pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

We're too busy setting our canary traps...

[url]https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-grimsby-playoffs-7115099[/url]

Should Ian Burchnall lead Notts County a step closer to the Football League with victory against Grimsby Town on Monday night, then he will no doubt want to thank an unlikely source of intelligence.

Having embarked on a recent mission to go "undercover" at their play-off quarter-final opponents earlier this month, he learned more in a taxi than he did from watching their 1-0 win over Boreham Wood. "The goalkeeping coach Tom Weal and I came back on the last train and one of the guys who got on was a Grimsby fan living in Nottingham," explains Notts' head coach.

"He was a student but there was also a guy who looked a little worse for wear. Not long after the train took off, he has fallen and clearly hurt himself. The stewards had to ring an ambulance but there was a two-hour wait so they suggested the student, Tom and I all get a taxi back.

"I told my wife that I was going behind enemy lines and said that if you don't hear from me, then I've been taken. But my battery died so this Grimsby fan actually lent me his charger. So I've ended up in a taxi with him all the way back to Nottingham, but I don't think he had a clue who I was.

"He was sat in the front so I was just asking him questions like how do you feel about your season and he was telling me all about their strengths and weaknesses. I said how do you feel about the playoffs? He said I'm happy to have County away because we've already beaten them once.

"I just said yeah, but they beat you away didn't they? He then said we were lucky! But he was saying how it was perfect for him because the game was on his doorstep and that he thought they could beat us. I was like do you think so? I'm not so sure. They play quite good football, don't they? So we're having a bit of back and forth. He didn't have a clue.

"When we got back to the train station, the poor kid had got like half-an-hour walk to get to his flat. We offered to give this Grimsby fan a lift and dropped him off at his home. It was a definite behind enemy lines mission and one I got some important intel from. I wonder if he'll sit in the stands and then look in the matchday programme and think my God, I've just told their gaffer a load of stuff about Grimsby. It was all very amusing. I think his name was 'Chalky'"
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, May 23, 2022, 1:45pm; Reply: 33

We're too busy setting our canary traps...

[url]https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-grimsby-playoffs-7115099[/url]

Should Ian Burchnall lead Notts County a step closer to the Football League with victory against Grimsby Town on Monday night, then he will no doubt want to thank an unlikely source of intelligence.

Having embarked on a recent mission to go "undercover" at their play-off quarter-final opponents earlier this month, he learned more in a taxi than he did from watching their 1-0 win over Boreham Wood. "The goalkeeping coach Tom Weal and I came back on the last train and one of the guys who got on was a Grimsby fan living in Nottingham," explains Notts' head coach.

"He was a student but there was also a guy who looked a little worse for wear. Not long after the train took off, he has fallen and clearly hurt himself. The stewards had to ring an ambulance but there was a two-hour wait so they suggested the student, Tom and I all get a taxi back.

"I told my wife that I was going behind enemy lines and said that if you don't hear from me, then I've been taken. But my battery died so this Grimsby fan actually lent me his charger. So I've ended up in a taxi with him all the way back to Nottingham, but I don't think he had a clue who I was.

"He was sat in the front so I was just asking him questions like how do you feel about your season and he was telling me all about their strengths and weaknesses. I said how do you feel about the playoffs? He said I'm happy to have County away because we've already beaten them once.

"I just said yeah, but they beat you away didn't they? He then said we were lucky! But he was saying how it was perfect for him because the game was on his doorstep and that he thought they could beat us. I was like do you think so? I'm not so sure. They play quite good football, don't they? So we're having a bit of back and forth. He didn't have a clue.

"When we got back to the train station, the poor kid had got like half-an-hour walk to get to his flat. We offered to give this Grimsby fan a lift and dropped him off at his home. It was a definite behind enemy lines mission and one I got some important intel from. I wonder if he'll sit in the stands and then look in the matchday programme and think my God, I've just told their gaffer a load of stuff about Grimsby. It was all very amusing. I think his name was 'Chalky'"

Splendid job Agent Chalky. Like Operation Mincemeat, but much more important......
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 23, 2022, 3:14pm; Reply: 34
The Chalky he’s talking about is our new friend from Notts, NCFC- Chalky, so anything he told their manager is only what he’s seen from BT Sports highlights show.
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 23, 2022, 5:17pm; Reply: 35
I was feeling ok about tonight's game and confident of a close game but a Notts win until my red supporting brother in law visited and reminded me that both Forest and Mansfield are one game away from promotion and Notts are three,this season could end up much worst than just a loss in the playoffs ☹️
Posted by: Cricklewoodmariner, May 23, 2022, 10:50pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from ncfc_chalky
I was feeling ok about tonight's game and confident of a close game but a Notts win until my red supporting brother in law visited and reminded me that both Forest and Mansfield are one game away from promotion and Notts are three,this season could end up much worst than just a loss in the playoffs ☹️

It's a bit more lively tonight  ;D
Posted by: GrimRob, May 23, 2022, 11:21pm; Reply: 37
Bad luck me duck
Posted by: davmariner, May 23, 2022, 11:26pm; Reply: 38
In the words of our former majority shareholder:

‘Bit quite’
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:57pm