Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 20, 2022, 8:27am
I read that 8 towns have become cities as part of the platinum jubilee. How would that work for football clubs like ours named Town? Grimsby City sounds a bit wrong somehow. Grimsby FC, just drop the Town?
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, May 20, 2022, 8:31am; Reply: 1
City status would not mean the club has to change its name.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 20, 2022, 8:52am; Reply: 2
Swansea Town changed to Swansea City all those years ago.

Grimsby City looks and feels all wrong though doesn't it?!
Posted by: toontown, May 20, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 3
I don't think we are in any danger of becoming a city just yet
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 20, 2022, 9:02am; Reply: 4
They've made Wrexham a city!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 20, 2022, 9:07am; Reply: 5
FC City of Grimsby

Remove the flag off the badge and replace it with a crown saying 2022.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 20, 2022, 9:15am; Reply: 6
Swansea Town changed to Swansea City all those years ago.

Grimsby City looks and feels all wrong though doesn't it?!

Stoke City we’re just Stoke Football Club until 1925 when Stoke-on-Trent was made a city.

The defunct Chester City only added the City suffix in 1983. The phoenix club formed in 2010 reverted to the old suffix-less Chester FC.

Today’s announcement gives MK Dons the perfect opportunity to use the city status to rename the club MK City FC and drop the Dons suffix. It would be good PR.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 20, 2022, 9:17am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
They've made Wrexham a city!

There are 1 token Scottish, Welsh & Northern Irish town being made a city. Wrexham being the token new Welsh city.
Posted by: bedders78, May 20, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 8
Grimsby Pelham
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 9
Brechin's football club in Scotland are called Brechin City, even though Brechin isn't officially a City!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2022, 10:18am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin
Brechin's football club in Scotland are called Brechin City, even though Brechin isn't officially a City!

Elgin too (I learnt this on pointless, so if it's wrong I'll see you in court, Osman)
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 20, 2022, 10:28am; Reply: 11
Notts County play in Nottingham and Nottingham Forest play in Nottinghamshire
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 12
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

So Nottingham Forest don’t play in Nottingham?
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 20, 2022, 10:40am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Poojah

So Nottingham Forest don’t play in Nottingham?

No they play in Nottinghamshire,they are situated in the Borough of Rushcliffe,the river Trent is the Nottingham(shire) border
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2022, 10:41am; Reply: 14
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

No they play in Nottinghamshire,they are situated in the Borough of Rushcliffe,the river Trent is the Nottingham(shire) border

Fascinating. So technically Nottingham is a one club city then?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, May 20, 2022, 10:59am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

Fascinating. So technically Nottingham is a one club city then?

Yes. The City Ground & Trent Bridge cricket ground are both in the town of West Bridgford. Nottingham doesn't extend south of the River Trent.

So yes, Nottingham is a one club city. You'd expect a city as big and vibrant as Nottingham to have a decent club and not the shitty one they are lumbered with.
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2022, 11:03am; Reply: 16
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yes. The City Ground & Trent Bridge cricket ground are both in the town of West Bridgford. Nottingham doesn't extend south of the River Trent.

So yes, Nottingham is a one club city. You'd expect a city as big and vibrant as Nottingham to have a decent club and not the shitty one they are lumbered with.

Thanks for that, although I don’t actually care to be honest. I was just trying to help Chalky burn through his 10 post a day limit by asking him a series of mundane questions, but now Rob’s gone and ruined it by doubling it.
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 20, 2022, 11:13am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Poojah

Thanks for that, although I don’t actually care to be honest. I was just trying to help Chalky burn through his 10 post a day limit by asking him a series of mundane questions, but now Rob’s gone and ruined it by doubling it.

I sussed that out when you tried to get me into a conversation about Nottingham but not until after I had initially replied to you,very good though 👍😎
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 20, 2022, 11:16am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Son of Cod
Wait so Nottingham isn't in Nottinghamshire?

Quick lads, we can get him to waste his 10 posts on Nottinghamshire chat today...

I think they are bidding for combined authority status - with Derby and Derbyshire. The problem will be that Nottingham is a "communist" state (according to Boris)

Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 20, 2022, 11:16am; Reply: 19
So it is Notts Forest after all. (100)
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 20
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

I sussed that out when you tried to get me into a conversation about Nottingham but not until after I had initially replied to you,very good though 👍😎

What’s the weather like in Nottingham today?
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 20, 2022, 11:21am; Reply: 21
We were the first "Town" in the football league, so probably the first "Town" in the world, that shouldn't ever be changed. Lincoln were the first "City" - Manchester City and Birmingham and Stoke weren't called "City" in 1892. So Lincs had the first Town v City derby.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2022, 12:19pm; Reply: 22
And did you know that Grimsby Town play in Cleethorpes..........
Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2022, 12:34pm; Reply: 23
And of course Stockport County play in Stockportshire.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from RonMariner
And did you know that Grimsby Town play in Cleethorpes..........

And Cleethorpes Town play in Grimsby!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 20, 2022, 1:59pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from ncfc_chalky

So really, it should be Nottingham county then
Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2022, 2:08pm; Reply: 26
Is their ground located in a forest then?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 20, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 27
Bolton play miles from Bolton
Posted by: tashee69, May 20, 2022, 2:40pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from toontown

Exactly, when did being a city get you 3 points 🤣🤣
Posted by: spartacus, May 20, 2022, 2:40pm; Reply: 29
Who'd want to change their name to something that rhymes with "sh1tty" anyway!
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 20, 2022, 2:42pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from RonMariner
Is their ground located in a forest then?

Probably from when they used to play their first games at the Forest Recreational Ground back in the day,the area is still known as that and hold the Goose Fair there every year
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2022, 3:06pm; Reply: 31
I know it's changed now but  this question about us being the only team that plays every game away is rubbish as Nottm Forest don't play in Nottingham!  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, May 20, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 32
The correct term is 'Great Grimsby'. Who needs city status?

We were also one of the first towns to be granted a royal charter.
Posted by: buckstown, May 20, 2022, 4:11pm; Reply: 33
My feelings towards the royal family are somewhat apathetic, but the designation of Doncaster as a city nudges me gently towards the republican door.
She can't have been can she??
Posted by: Garth, May 20, 2022, 5:18pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from toontown

We've been Sin city for a while
Posted by: thefish, May 20, 2022, 6:32pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Bolton play miles from Bolton

As do Portsmouth… they play miles from Bolton too!
Posted by: mimma, May 20, 2022, 8:07pm; Reply: 36
Whilst we are on the subject of cities, could someone please explain how Hull City get their name?
The city is Kingston Upon Hull, Hull being the river upon which Kingston sits.
I've often wondered why the football team is so called.
Posted by: ncfc_chalky, May 20, 2022, 8:24pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from thefish

As do Portsmouth… they play miles from Bolton too!

Portsmouth is the only English city not based in mainland England
Posted by: pizzzza, May 20, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from mimma
Whilst we are on the subject of cities, could someone please explain how Hull City get their name?
The city is Kingston Upon Hull, Hull being the river upon which Kingston sits.
I've often wondered why the football team is so called.

The locals can't even pronounce the four letter word ('ull), they'd struggle big time with Kingston (which I personally think sounds much nicer)
Posted by: Poojah, May 20, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from pizzzza

The locals can't even pronounce the four letter word ('ull), they'd struggle big time with Kingston (which I personally think sounds much nicer)

Real funny place, Hull. You’ve got the bizarre and grating accent, obviously, but I found myself in the city centre on business not long before the pandemic.

I had an hour to kill before my train so nipped into the ‘spoons across the road, the Admiral of the Humber, for a swift pint. It was about half past two on a Tuesday afternoon and so I expected it to be dead; how wrong was I? It was absolutely mobbed; quite literally standing room only in this massive pub, fighting to get to the bar like a payday weekend Saturday night. I think the average number of teeth per person was about 5. Likewise the number of face tattoos.

Don’t get me wrong, NE Lincs is not without its problems, but Christ almighty, Hull has some serious socioeconomic issues.
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 20, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from buckstown
My feelings towards the royal family are somewhat apathetic, but the designation of Doncaster as a city nudges me gently towards the republican door.
She can't have been can she??

It’s a great night out so maybe she’s done that!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2022, 9:10pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Poojah

Real funny place, Hull. You’ve got the bizarre and grating accent, obviously, but I found myself in the city centre on business not long before the pandemic.

I had an hour to kill before my train so nipped into the ‘spoons across the road, the Admiral of the Humber, for a swift pint. It was about half past two on a Tuesday afternoon and so I expected it to be dead; how wrong was I? It was absolutely mobbed; quite literally standing room only in this massive pub, fighting to get to the bar like a payday weekend Saturday night. I think the average number of teeth per person was about 5. Likewise the number of face tattoos.

Don’t get me wrong, NE Lincs is not without its problems, but Christ almighty, Hull has some serious socioeconomic issues.

I spent over 3 months in Hull Royal Infirmary, any longer I reckon I'd have been scarred for life (well I am really  :) )

It all started the first morning when the girl asked me if I wanted terrst with my breakfast!  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 20, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 42

I come from Hull originally but give me Cleethorpes any day, we all laughed when Hull was awarded the "City Of Culture"

My father was  a massive Tigers fan, took me to Boothferry Park as a kid, Chilton, Simpkin, Waggy and all that, decent side but give me Waters, Cumming and Drinks any day.
Posted by: mimma, May 20, 2022, 9:42pm; Reply: 43
My brother was in Castle Hill hospital. He complained that he couldn't understand half of the staff. I said are they foreign? He replied, "its not the foreigners, I can understand them, it's the locals I can't understand!"
Posted by: LH, May 20, 2022, 10:40pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Poojah

There isn’t another place in the UK with such a misplaced high opinion of itself than Hull.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 21, 2022, 12:04am; Reply: 45
Bromley?  Or at least their fans.
Posted by: Vance Warner, May 21, 2022, 7:24am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
We were the first "Town" in the football league, so probably the first "Town" in the world, that shouldn't ever be changed. Lincoln were the first "City" - Manchester City and Birmingham and Stoke weren't called "City" in 1892. So Lincs had the first Town v City derby.

This is a fantastic fact. Never knew that. ‘We are town.’
Posted by: Maringer, May 21, 2022, 8:58am; Reply: 47
Quoted from LH

There isn’t another place in the UK with such a misplaced high opinion of itself than Hull.

Oh, I don't know. It would be going some to beat Newcastle or Liverpool in those stakes.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 21, 2022, 6:07pm; Reply: 48
Great celebrations in Sunderlandshire tonight.
Posted by: Marinerdan, May 21, 2022, 6:20pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from RonMariner
Great celebrations in Sunderlandshire tonight.

They’ll be a few bottles of blue drink drunk tonight.
Posted by: AussieMariner, May 21, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Poojah

I found myself in the same pub on the evening before doing the walk to BP with Jase. Just popped in for a pint and a pasta and in the 45 mins there 2 fights broke out, one on the table next to mine.
I also noticed the dental abberation you mention and I found myself wondering if it would be a good place to be a dentist. On one hand plenty of opportunities but not sure there would be a great demand for the service.
On balance I suspect that tattooist is probably the more secure profession and almost certainly held in higher regard.
Posted by: LH, May 21, 2022, 10:39pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Maringer

Oh, I don't know. It would be going some to beat Newcastle or Liverpool in those stakes.

At least Liverpool has two succesful football clubs (albeit one which could be described as historically successful) and can fall back on The Beatles for cultural impact. What’s Hull got? Newcastle I’ll give you.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 2:45pm