Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nutsy, May 17, 2022, 3:36pm
Who have we got locked down, who do we want locking down and who are we looking for upgrades on?

I unfortunately haven’t made many games this season but have listened to a fair few but a run down is always useful to have from those who get to most games
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 17, 2022, 3:41pm; Reply: 1
http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202

Basically we've got Russell, Pearson, Longe-King, Holahan, McAtee and Maguire-Drew under contract.  Then the lads who got first-year pro deals the other week.  4 of them I think.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, May 17, 2022, 4:25pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Nutsy
Who have we got locked down, who do we want locking down and who are we looking for upgrades on?

I unfortunately haven’t made many games this season but have listened to a fair few but a run down is always useful to have from those who get to most games

If I was to make an educated guess I would expect the following regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season, A few may swing the other way Scannell, Wright, Crookes, Sousa perhaps, but I expect the above.

Under Contract

Shaun Pearson
Harry Clifton
Ollie Battersby
Gavan Holohan
John McAtee
Jordan Maguire-Drew
Harvey Tomlinson
Aaron Braithwaite
Jamie Bramwell
Edwin Essel

Offered New Deal

Max Crocombe
Danny Amos
Michee Efete
Jordan Cropper
Jaz Goundry
Luke Waterfall
Ben Fox
Max Wright
Ryan Taylor

Released

James McKeown
Adam Crookes
Scott Burgess
Giles Coke
Evan Khouri
Erico Sousa
Luke Spokes
Lenell John-Lewis
Luis Adlard
Sean Scannell

Available on a Free Transfer

David Longe-King
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 17, 2022, 5:48pm; Reply: 3
I'm quite disappointed we have allowed key players contracts to run down again. I didn't expect that of the new owners. I'm sure there must be reasons the likes of Ben Fox, Michee Efete and Ryan Taylor's deals have been allowed to expire. But I can't understand it. Even if it was a two tier contract depending on what division we are in next season, surely not beyond the wit of man?

Put it this way, if I was Fox, Efete or Taylor I would have instructed my agent to see what's out there some time ago. It's their livelyhoods, how they pay their mortgages.
Posted by: Youngy, May 17, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I'm quite disappointed we have allowed key players contracts to run down again. I didn't expect that of the new owners. I'm sure there must be reasons the likes of Ben Fox, Michee Efete and Ryan Taylor's deals have been allowed to expire. But I can't understand it. Even if it was a two tier contract depending on what division we are in next season, surely not beyond the wit of man?

Put it this way, if I was Fox, Efete or Taylor I would have instructed my agent to see what's out there some time ago. It's their livelyhoods, how they pay their mortgages.

From what I understand, that isn't the case.

Deals have already been offered to players who they want to stay but Hurst doesn't want anything publicly known until after the season ends.

We have a one year option on Efete which I believe the club have already exercised.
Posted by: Hurstomariner, May 17, 2022, 6:17pm; Reply: 5
I would keep Scannell and Sousa over than that the list is about right

If I was to make an educated guess I would expect the following regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season, A few may swing the other way Scannell, Wright, Crookes, Sousa perhaps, but I expect the above.

Under Contract

Shaun Pearson
Harry Clifton
Ollie Battersby
Gavan Holohan
John McAtee
Jordan Maguire-Drew
Harvey Tomlinson
Aaron Braithwaite
Jamie Bramwell
Edwin Essel

Offered New Deal

Max Crocombe
Danny Amos
Michee Efete
Jordan Cropper
Jaz Goundry
Luke Waterfall
Ben Fox
Max Wright
Ryan Taylor

Released

James McKeown
Adam Crookes
Scott Burgess
Giles Coke
Evan Khouri
Erico Sousa
Luke Spokes
Lenell John-Lewis
Luis Adlard
Sean Scannell

David Longe-King[/quote]

Posted by: RonMariner, May 17, 2022, 6:28pm; Reply: 6
I think Scannell is worth keeping. he should be available to play some time in the new year and could well be an asset in next seasons run in.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 17, 2022, 6:55pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Youngy

Deals have already been offered to players who they want to stay but Hurst doesn't want anything publicly known until after the season ends.

We have a one year option on Efete which I believe the club have already exercised.

Fair enough, thanks for the reply.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 17, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from RonMariner
I think Scannell is worth keeping. he should be available to play some time in the new year and could well be an asset in next seasons run in.

If he's snapped his achilies tendon then I'm sorry but at 32 he'll do well to come back from that and play professionally at all and recovery usually no less than nine months. Best wishes to him.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 17, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 9
Wanting to keep Scannell is driven by sentiment. We're not in position to be utilising a salary on someone who could struggle to play next season regardless of the quality of his performances in the past few weeks. I think Max Wright will leave as well. Crocombe is an interesting one I think. I think it's clear Battersby is out number 2 for next season so does Hurst see Crocombe as good enough to be Number 1?
Posted by: Heisenberg, May 17, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Hurstomariner
I would keep Scannell and Sousa over than that the list is about right

Under Contract

Shaun Pearson
Harry Clifton
Ollie Battersby
Gavan Holohan
John McAtee
Jordan Maguire-Drew
Harvey Tomlinson
Aaron Braithwaite
Jamie Bramwell
Edwin Essel

Offered New Deal

Max Crocombe
Danny Amos
Michee Efete
Jordan Cropper
Jaz Goundry
Luke Waterfall
Ben Fox
Max Wright
Ryan Taylor

Released

James McKeown
Adam Crookes
Scott Burgess
Giles Coke
Evan Khouri
Erico Sousa
Luke Spokes
Lenell John-Lewis
Luis Adlard
Sean Scannell

David Longe-King

[/quote]

There’s no way we could offer Scannell a deal if he’s out until at least Christmas, that would be ridiculous.
Posted by: toontown, May 17, 2022, 7:30pm; Reply: 11
There is no way wwe can sign a player who has scarcely played the last few years due to repeated injury,and who has just suffered a potential career ending injury.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from RonMariner

This might not be popular as I know we aren't a charity but Scannell was in great form and he got a nasty injury playing for us. It would show that our club cares and has moved on if we offered him a one year deal so that he could focus on rehabilitation without having to worry about that loss of income whilst he's injured.

I know that might be unpopular, I know we aren't a charity, I know there is a salary cap and I know football is a ruthless business but compassion could help set us apart from others and Scannell is apparently a great character around the place.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 17, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Heisenberg

There’s no way we could offer Scannell a deal if he’s out until at least Christmas, that would be ridiculous.[/quote]

I’ve no idea what the situation is regarding player insurance but would hope that we look after Scannell through his rehabilitation in whatever way we can.
Posted by: ginnywings, May 17, 2022, 8:17pm; Reply: 14
I'm sure PH will already be sounding out the players he wants to keep and will also be making tentative moves to recruit new players.

He did a mid season re-build of the team and made it better, with a few positions improved upon, so I'm sure he can conjure up some more players for the squad with the whole of the summer to work with.

I'm fairly confident he will be making the squad stronger for next season and I hope to see some more upgrades on what we currently have.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2022, 8:23pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Youngy

I saw and heard one player telling someone he's being released before the Maidenhead game. I've also heard that another player is getting a new deal so it seems clear that things are happening.

What we get to know and what actually goes on are two completely different things.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, May 17, 2022, 8:31pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I saw and heard one player telling someone he's being released before the Maidenhead game. I've also heard that another player is getting a new deal so it seems clear that things are happening.

What we get to know and what actually goes on are two completely different things.

Who?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2022, 8:41pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Who?

All I will say is the player getting released is young and going to uni in York. The one I got told is getting a deal played on Sunday.
Posted by: Meza, May 17, 2022, 8:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from jamesgtfc

All I will say is the player getting released is young and going to uni in York. The one I got told is getting a deal played on Sunday.

Interesting it could be a few, i have a gut feeling its Dieseruvwe

* out of contract (not sure about Bramwell

13 Battersby
32 Cropper *
5 Pearson
30 Burgess *
3 Crookes *
38 Bramwell
35 Jones *
8 Coke *
19 Wright *
25 Maguire-Drew
12 Dieseruvwe *

Substitutes
9 Abrahams
17 Raikhy
31 Khouri
34 Braithwaite
37 Tomlinson
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 17, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Meza

Interesting it could be a few, i have a gut feeling its Dieseruvwe

* out of contract (not sure about Bramwell

13 Battersby
32 Cropper *
5 Pearson
30 Burgess *
3 Crookes *
38 Bramwell
35 Jones *
8 Coke *
19 Wright *
25 Maguire-Drew
12 Dieseruvwe *

Substitutes
9 Abrahams
17 Raikhy
31 Khouri
34 Braithwaite
37 Tomlinson

There is another one out of contract at the top of the starting 11 😉
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 18, 2022, 6:46am; Reply: 20
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Take it you're on about Cropper, or just trying to pull our p!ssers..🤣
Posted by: Meza, May 18, 2022, 7:44am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Take it you're on about Cropper, or just trying to pull our p!ssers..🤣

Cropper has done ok, i bet its Burgess not really done much although he hasn't started many games, but he is of the pace.
Posted by: toontown, May 18, 2022, 7:54am; Reply: 22
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There is another one out of contract at the top of the starting 11 😉

So I think he means Battersby
Posted by: Zmariner, May 18, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 23
Very important that the players we re-sign and keep are good enough for League 2 or we won’t be ready for next season. We’re going up I feel it.
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 18, 2022, 5:02pm; Reply: 24
For me:

Offer new contracts to:
Michee Efete
Luke Waterfall
Danny Amos
Harry Clifton
Ben Fox
Ryan Taylor

Release:
Max Crocombe
James McKeown
Jordan Cropper
Adam Crookes
Scott Burgess
Giles Coke
Evan Khouri
Erico Sousa
Luke Spokes
Lenell John-Lewis
Max Wright
Luis Adlard
Sean Scannell

Keeping Scannell is ridiculous, we can't offer a player a new contract just cos he might get fit sometime next season. I don't know if insurance could cover him through his rehab and we'd give him a glorified trial to prove his fitness?

Max Wright's race is run, as much as it's difficult to say cos we all love the lad to bits but we can't have a player whose modal situation is get an injury, 4 weeks out, gets fit, comes on for 15 mins and looks sharp, gets injured, repeat.

Battersby will be much cheaper than Crocombe and particularly Macca, so it's better off having Battersby as your proper No2 and combining the wages of Macca and Crocombe to find a top keeper at this level, this would be even more necessary if we got promoted. Crocombe has done well but we can find better I'm sure.

Cropper was a coin toss for me but on balance I think he needs replacing. Michee is a bit fragile, he isn't going to play 46 games a season so we need to get a backup right back of pretty good quality and I think if it weren't for Cropper's long throw, we'd say he was out of his depth. It's a useful weapon no doubt but again, I think we can do better.

I think the others all speak for themselves, regardless of which league we're in, I'd keep the same players.
Posted by: toontown, May 18, 2022, 6:01pm; Reply: 25
Can we please stop talking about binning off players when they're part of a squad trying to win the playoffs!
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, May 18, 2022, 9:25pm; Reply: 26
What happened to ancient GK Sam Russell? - The Twerp put him a 3 year contract until 2023?
Posted by: Maringer, May 18, 2022, 9:54pm; Reply: 27
Cropper hasn't put a foot wrong in any of the games I've seen him play. Not one to push forward as Efete (sometimes) does, but that throw is such an asset, that I'd have him starting regardless.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), May 19, 2022, 2:59am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Maringer
Cropper hasn't put a foot wrong in any of the games I've seen him play. Not one to push forward as Efete (sometimes) does, but that throw is such an asset, that I'd have him starting regardless.

Yep, (though only judging from what I've seen on videos) Cropper looks ok defensively at this level, and his throw is an asset at any level.

So both he and Efete are fit...who starts?

(I could see Efete making an effective & mobile CB or a decent defensive midfielder. I could also see him moving to a bigger club. I'll leave that one to PH)

Have we really seen enough of Khouri & Adlard to decide they should go? I'd leave that one to PH too.

Sean Scannell's injury gutted me at the time ... and I don't feel much better about it now. I posted a bit ago that if he couldn't stay fit till the season's end,
we'd have to let him go. Which is what I expect to happen.
But I wouldn't criticise the club if they offered him a contract till (say) 31st December - allowing him that time to prove fitness (& enjoy Xmas).
We're not likely be able to replace him with anyone with his class and ability imo.

I'd make a rubbish manager, I know...

Posted by: wiggers, May 19, 2022, 7:57am; Reply: 29
Even with his injury record I think Scannell should be given a new 1 year deal. He’s a class above NL and probs LG2 should we get there. He’s worth the gamble in my opinion. We carried several injury prone players this season. Out of them he’d be the one I’d keep.
Posted by: Poojah, May 19, 2022, 9:47am; Reply: 30
Quoted from Maringer

Have we scored as a direct result of a Cropper throw yet? Can’t think of one; hopefully he’s saved a couple for the play-offs.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 19, 2022, 9:57am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Poojah

Have we scored as a direct result of a Cropper throw yet? Can’t think of one; hopefully he’s saved a couple for the play-offs.

smiths at barnet
Posted by: Maringer, May 19, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Poojah

Most teams don't score many goals from corners, either. Doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile having players who are good at whipping a ball in.

With my former full-back hat on (one who didn't have a particularly long throw), it's just a massive asset to have available anywhere on the pitch. Getting pinned back in your half and with a throw-in near your own goalline? WHOOSH - you're suddenly challenging for the ball 40 yards upfield instead of nearer to the edge of your box. Near the halfway line? Quick throw down the line to set your winger away, or, if close enough in, chuck it into the box with the defenders up (especially if you're chasing a game).

Rose's long throws helped keep us up under Jolley that season when it looked as though we were doomed and it's certainly a very good plan 'B' to have available if you're struggling to play through or around teams. The main thing is to be able to mix it up and not rely too much on any one aspect of play. Cropper looks a decent enough defender to me in addition to his throw and I personally would have him in ahead of Efete who hasn't impressed me as much as he has some others on this board.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 19, 2022, 11:10am; Reply: 33
Cropper is more than satisfactory as a back-up defender.  Agree his long throws can be a weapon. Other teams use the same tactic to good effect.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 19, 2022, 11:13am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Poojah

That's not his fault though, more the other 9 outfield players who aren't taking advantage of it.  

Considering Cropper joined us mid-season after 9 months out through injury and a whole year since he last played, I think he's been excellent.  With a full pre-season behind him I think he'll be a huge asset whatever league we're in next season.
Posted by: toontown, May 19, 2022, 12:32pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

That's not his fault though, more the other 9 outfield players who aren't taking advantage of it.  

Considering Cropper joined us mid-season after 9 months out through injury and a whole year since he last played, I think he's been excellent.  With a full pre-season behind him I think he'll be a huge asset whatever league we're in next season.

Just to point out we have scored from it tho, at Barnet by smith
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 19, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 36
I've bemoaned our lack of a good throw for what feels like forever so I hope he stays. He's not a bad defender and I don't think he's shown us anything like what he's capable of given his injury troubles so I think he should be kept on.
Posted by: Garth, May 20, 2022, 5:43pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from wiggers
Even with his injury record I think Scannell should be given a new 1 year deal. He’s a class above NL and probs LG2 should we get there. He’s worth the gamble in my opinion. We carried several injury prone players this season. Out of them he’d be the one I’d keep.

Got our fingers burnt before being sentimental with Liam
Posted by: malkamalka, May 20, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 38
The PFA used to pay most of the salary of injured players. I'm sure they do the player insurances.

Quoted from MuddyWaters

There’s no way we could offer Scannell a deal if he’s out until at least Christmas, that would be ridiculous.

I’ve no idea what the situation is regarding player insurance but would hope that we look after Scannell through his rehabilitation in whatever way we can.[/quote]

Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Garth

Got our fingers burnt before being sentimental with Liam

Hearn? Left before his original contract ran out.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:32am