Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 6:47pm
Crocombe, Cropper, Smith, Pearson, Amos, Fox, Sousa, Clifton, Holohan, McAtee, Taylor.

Subs: Crookes, Burgess, Abrahams, Maguire-Drew, Dieseruvwe.
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 6:48pm; Reply: 1
McAtee starts with a strong bench. 4 4 1 1
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2022, 6:49pm; Reply: 2
Going for it !
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 10, 2022, 6:54pm; Reply: 3
Just need a Bristol Rovers like win to make Sunday interesting in the right way…
Posted by: buckstown, May 10, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 4
Thought Macca might have got  run out tonight to mark his departure
Looks like he's gone for the strongest possible eleven to secure the required point. Got bad vibes about this, Boringwood are nasty bits of work!!
Posted by: Poojah, May 10, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 5
You never quite now how things will pan out during the game, but this feels like the right call going into it. No point fúcking about; missing out on the play-offs at this stage would be disastrous. Put out your best available team; get the job done.

In spite of their late season downturn in form, Boreham Wood are no mugs.
Posted by: out of town, May 10, 2022, 7:04pm; Reply: 6
Agree that we have to win this, concerned about some of their scumbags targeting Mcatee though.
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 7
Would have found a place for Abrahams but if he is brought on when others are tiring he'll bag a hatful (hatrick)
Posted by: Poojah, May 10, 2022, 7:06pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from out of town
Agree that we have to win this, concerned about some of their scumbags targeting Mcatee though.

A draw will do me just fine.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 9
[quote=491

In spite of their late season downturn in form, Boreham Wood are no mugs. [/quote]

Not that much of a downturn, they won at Stockport and held Wrexham in the last fortnight!😀
Posted by: Poojah, May 10, 2022, 7:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RonMariner

Not that much of a downturn, they won at Stockport and held Wrexham in the last fortnight!😀

It was pretty big, to be fair. After losing to Everton in early March, they went on to take 3 points from their next 10 games, 1 of which was against us. They’ve picked up of late, but they absolutely capitulated after their cup run ended.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 7:33pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

It was pretty big, to be fair. After losing to Everton in early March, they went on to take 3 points from their next 10 games, 1 of which was against us. They’ve picked up of late, but they absolutely capitulated after their cup run ended.

Indeed. It was after that holiday they took. Bahamas I think. Musy have taken a lot out of them. i wonder what they got up to?????
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2022, 7:33pm; Reply: 12
A bit of a gamble to play McAtee, but perfectly understandable. If nothing else, it should give us some sort of an idea how much the injury will affect his game. He'll undoubtedly be flattened at some point as well so Fingers-crossed he comes through it OK.
Posted by: Morris Minor, May 10, 2022, 7:33pm; Reply: 13
Evening Hagrid.
I'm in position in the man-cave waiting to see what disappointment the lads can dish up tonight.
If we can avoid Notts County, Solihull Moors, Halifax, Wrexham and Stockport in the play-offs I think we'll be OK.
Have flashscore on ready for updates. I will have one eye on Villa hoping they can do Man City a big favour tonight, or will Slippy G finally help to win the Premiership.
Enjoy the competion for the next week or so because next season will be a procession with Mr Haaland in sky blue!

BTW Up the Mariners.

(groupwave)
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 7:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Morris Minor
Evening Hagrid.
I'm in position in the man-cave waiting to see what disappointment the lads can dish up tonight.
If we can avoid Notts County, Solihull Moors, Halifax, Wrexham and Stockport in the play-offs I think we'll be OK.
Have flashscore on ready for updates. I will have one eye on Villa hoping they can do Man City a big favour tonight, or will Slippy G finally help to win the Premiership.
Enjoy the competion for the next week or so because next season will be a procession with Mr Haaland in sky blue!

BTW Up the Mariners.

(groupwave)

Mmmm. I wonder how long he has been a City supporter?
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2022, 7:39pm; Reply: 15
Hope the ref. is better than last week.
Posted by: supertown, May 10, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer
Hope the ref. is better than last week.

Hope the team are 😬
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 10, 2022, 8:02pm; Reply: 17

As it stands we are in the play-offs  ;)
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from promotion plaice

As it stands we are in the play-offs  ;)

True. And I would settle for a nil;-nil and MacAtee coming through unscathed.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 19
Thank god for McAtee
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 20

Get in 1-0....McAtee  :)
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 21
woooohooooo
Posted by: cmackenzie4, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 22
1.0 Town,
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 23
Yesssssssss
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 8:05pm; Reply: 24
GOAAL 1 - 0 McAtee scores  going up
Posted by: Poojah, May 10, 2022, 8:06pm; Reply: 25
Big goal that. Let’s just settle things down a bit now. Nothing silly tonight.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 10, 2022, 8:06pm; Reply: 26
Get in,guess whos back
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 8:07pm; Reply: 27
Wow. You could't make it up.

Ok, get him off and bring Abrahams on.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 10, 2022, 8:08pm; Reply: 28
Ger in
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 10, 2022, 8:08pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

A draw will do me just fine.

Ditto - great start - 😀
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 8:09pm; Reply: 30
Been a while since we scored first too.
Posted by: golfer, May 10, 2022, 8:13pm; Reply: 31
Taylor not getting much joy.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 8:16pm; Reply: 32
I wonder if Macatee can walk on water?

Asking for a friend.
Posted by: Teestogreen, May 10, 2022, 8:22pm; Reply: 33
Macatee
Macatee
Born is the king of Blundell Park
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 10, 2022, 8:25pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from RonMariner
I wonder if Macatee can walk on water?

Asking for a friend.

No he parts the waves like oppo defences
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 8:33pm; Reply: 35
So far so good.1 - 0 up and play off's guaranteed
Posted by: sapper mariner, May 10, 2022, 8:35pm; Reply: 36
Fox has been brilliant again. Anyone know what the banner said when mcatee scored
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Morris Minor
Evening Hagrid.

BTW Up the Mariners.

(groupwave)

Get your bottom to the game
Posted by: Hagrid, May 10, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from sapper mariner
Fox has been brilliant again. Anyone know what the banner said when mcatee scored

Get well soon scannell
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2022, 8:38pm; Reply: 39
A pretty entertaining game so far. Some nice football from us with the proviso that too often (and as usual), our final pass has been below par. We should have got in behind them on a few more occasions, but a relatively straightforward pass has been fluffed.

That said, we're defending well and haven't bee troubled too much yet. Just a pity we haven't got the second goal that our play has perhaps deserved. We could do with seeing a bit more from Holohan and Sousa in attack. They've both worked hard but not much in the way of end product yet. McAtee not getting stuck in quite as much as usual, but letting the ball do more of the work isn't such a bad idea.

I suspect their two massive defenders will be in our box for long throws a lot more in the second half, so let's hope the defence play as well as they have during the first half.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 10, 2022, 8:40pm; Reply: 40
Can't make it tonight due to being away with work, seems like we're doing o.k.

Come on Town!!
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, May 10, 2022, 8:47pm; Reply: 41
I couldn’t make it either - long ago present of tickets for Strictly Pros show. Have to say the boy Widdrington is playing a blinder - easily the best male…
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 8:56pm; Reply: 42
Nearly a second foe McAtee
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 8:58pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from DB
Nearly a second foe McAtee

Ok, seen enough bring him off before some clown clatters him.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 10, 2022, 8:59pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from RonMariner

Ok, seen enough bring him off before some clown clatters him.

We're not in a position to rest players just yet.

Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:04pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from promotion plaice

We're not in a position to rest players just yet.

He 's been out for weeks, and 60 minutes is a good run out. I'd bring Abrahams on or give Dessi a run out.
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 46
Clifton missed a good chance
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:20pm; Reply: 47
Sounds like we are well on top, and against a strong side too. Good sign.
Posted by: chaos33, May 10, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 48
I’d get McAtee off now too. And Holohan. And Taylor.
Posted by: out of town, May 10, 2022, 9:34pm; Reply: 49
Get in. Credit to the team for reaching the play offs
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:35pm; Reply: 50
McAtee coming through that fit, more important than the 3 points over 1. UTM
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:35pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from chaos33
I’d get McAtee off now too. And Holohan. And Taylor.

What's he waiting for? Ten minutes left. Surely good to give some of the other guys a run out?
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 9:35pm; Reply: 52
Good result,in the play offs which is better than we thought at the beginning of the season
Posted by: lukeo, May 10, 2022, 9:36pm; Reply: 53
Happy with that. Mcatee sounds like he's OK and we're in the play offs! UTM
Posted by: supertown, May 10, 2022, 9:36pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from DB
Good result,in the play offs which is better than we thought at the beginning of the season

Speak for yourself
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:36pm; Reply: 55
Excellent!
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 56
A point on Saturday secures 6th spot.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 10, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 57
Great result. well done! Play offs here we come!
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 10, 2022, 9:37pm; Reply: 58
That will do nicely :)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 10, 2022, 9:38pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from RonMariner
A point on Saturday secures 6th spot.

Pedantic……. Sunday 🫣
Posted by: DB, May 10, 2022, 9:39pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from supertown

Speak for yourself

100% positive of promotion from the start of the season and still am

Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:41pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Pedantic……. Sunday 🫣

A point on Saturday and three on Sunday would secure 5th....... ;)
Posted by: lukeo, May 10, 2022, 9:42pm; Reply: 62
Providing we don't get thumped in the first game of the play offs, I feel this has been a good first season back whatever happens from now.
Posted by: chaos33, May 10, 2022, 9:48pm; Reply: 63
Huge credit and thanks to the owners and management  and players. Great effort. Whatever happens now, we have done really well this season. Under this regime, we will be progressive. Let’s stand together and go for it. UTM
Posted by: chaos33, May 10, 2022, 9:49pm; Reply: 64
Oh, and as an aside - Shaun Pearson. Legend. He encapsulates all that’s needed. What a man.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 10, 2022, 9:49pm; Reply: 65
When we were in the league before, I think many of us thought promotion was a given, a right almost, which meant that we went into the playoffs every year expecting to win. Well I did,  At first anyway.

This time out I think many of us feel we have done really well to get into the play offs at the first attempt and any thing else is a bonus. But whatever happens in the play offs we have the basis for a very strong side for next season.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, May 10, 2022, 10:03pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from DB

100% positive of promotion from the start of the season and still am

you sure?
https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1642874539/s-0/
Posted by: Abdul19, May 10, 2022, 10:06pm; Reply: 67
Good performance, should've won by more against very limited opposition.
Posted by: Maringer, May 10, 2022, 10:29pm; Reply: 68
Good performance and I have to say that Pearson was almost faultless tonight. In fact, the defence looked really solid, albeit against opposition which looked pretty limited. Smith has really settled into the team now. Back here again on loan next season, perhaps?

Unfortunately, Sousa didn't improve in the second half - he's absolutely lacking any confidence or form at the moment and is a shadow of the player who was terrorising defences during the early stages of the season. Still, he did manage to put one on a plate for Clifton who unfortunately didn't remember to head it down.

Holohan also a bit below par today, although both he and Sousa "Kept us shape" and were disciplined in their positioning.

McAtee took his goal well, but must be kicking himself for not adding a couple more as he was clean through on several occasions but either failed to get the right sort of shot away or put it too close to the keeper. The injury didn't seem to impact him too much which is good, but it was a strange sort of a game with no argy-bargy to speak of. I don't really remember a single late or dirty challenge and the physios weren't called on at all. In a 5th Division match, this is very unusual. I actually think that it was better that McAtee was trying to avoid too much physical contact because it meant he concentrated on movement instead.

Fox very good in midfield, in the first half especially. Taylor very classy up top though he did miscontrol more than usual, but we need to get the ball into his feet to see the best of him.

My main concern is that it's a game we should have won handsomely, yet we scraped it 1-0. Too many overhit passes and crosses in attacking areas after previously good play and too many wasted chances. The story of the season, in fact, which could well be too much to overcome in the play-offs.
Posted by: acko338, May 10, 2022, 10:33pm; Reply: 69
Perhaps a few players may be rested on Sunday.

Taylor must need a rest with so many elbow marks in his back.

Rest McAtee ready for the playoffs.

Let James McKeown have his last game.

Max Wright to play what could be a last game?

Where is Raikhy? Must be worth him coming back as an extra option for midfield in the play off games?

Do think both current full backs need to practice centreing from their respective wings without overhitting. I gave up counting at 10 wasted centres. Must make the attacking midfielders and strikers frustrated, as the backs' attacking approach play is making chances.

Tonight - 3 options for me for MOM - McAtee, Pearson and Fox, all immense games, with the calmness of young Smith running them close.  Hope he stays for a season long loan next season.

The hard work starts after Sunday !! No more injuries, please !!
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 7:10am