Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: moosey_club, January 28, 2022, 11:25pm
I see after selling top scorer Ryan Loft a few weeks ago they have now sold Harry Davies the club captain , formerly of this parish.
Made me giggle listening to their manager pre match last week telling Humberside that the future looks bright for them !!!

Surely it's got to be this season they drop ?

Posted by: Poojah, January 28, 2022, 11:45pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from moosey_club
I see after selling top scorer Ryan Loft a few weeks ago they have now sold Harry Davies the club captain , formerly of this parish.
Made me giggle listening to their manager pre match last week telling Humberside that the future looks bright for them !!!

Surely it's got to be this season they drop ?

You've missed the more amusing part of this story in that they've sold him to a National League North side, albeit AFC Fylde who are a bit of a poor man's Fleetwood with a bit of dosh in their back pocket. Ultimately though, I think that's indicative of the direction they're heading in, at the very best.

I say that not to have a cheap dig at a local rival, who admittedly at this moment are an EFL club while we are very much not. But they have big problems. Our relegation, much more so than in 2010, came with a backdrop of positivity in the shape of the takeover. Perhaps a tiny bit of that positivity has waned due to the rigours routinely served up by the National League, but we are at least stable. The future of the club is relatively secure as of this moment.

I'd be very nervous if I were a Scunny fan right now, and not just because it's the end of the month which means bath day is approaching. Ultimately, I suspect that getting the odd slap from the Wealdstone's and Bromley's of this world may be nothing on what the short-to-medium future holds in store for them.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 29, 2022, 12:07am; Reply: 2

It'll be good to have a proper local derby next season because no way we are getting promoted.
Posted by: mimma, January 29, 2022, 1:29am; Reply: 3
get to the playoffs, win promotion and Scunny go down.

If Carlesberg did promotion / relagation!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 29, 2022, 6:59am; Reply: 4
I’m not laughing at scunny their going into a league where in ffs… and let’s face it the last twenty years they’ve had some good times unlike us
Posted by: Poojah, January 29, 2022, 8:06am; Reply: 5
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
I’m not laughing at scunny their going into a league where in ffs… and let’s face it the last twenty years they’ve had some good times unlike us

It’s not particularly a laughing matter, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume Scunny will be in this division next season. See Bury, Macclesfield.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 29, 2022, 8:20am; Reply: 6
If they move players on they can bring players in. They’re under an embargo so the wheeling and dealing is a way of circumventing that.

A season ticket holding scunt friend of mine explained it. He’s well aware they’ll likely go down but this way means they can at least try something to get out of it.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 29, 2022, 8:56am; Reply: 7
Quoted from aldi_01
If they move players on they can bring players in. They’re under an embargo so the wheeling and dealing is a way of circumventing that.

A season ticket holding scunt friend of mine explained it. He’s well aware they’ll likely go down but this way means they can at least try something to get out of it.

It's an interesting  point but flogging your goal scorer and your skipper to do it is a very spirit crushing thing to do. Family silverware etc etc
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 29, 2022, 9:04am; Reply: 8
As we found out last season very hard to get any decent players in to the club when your at the bottom of the league too..
Posted by: aldi_01, January 29, 2022, 9:50am; Reply: 9
Quoted from moosey_club

It's an interesting  point but flogging your goal scorer and your skipper to do it is a very spirit crushing thing to do. Family silverware etc etc

Agreed, but as my mate said, the players didn’t seemingly put up much of a fight to stay so May be they’re not arsed…
Posted by: moosey_club, January 29, 2022, 11:00am; Reply: 10
Quoted from aldi_01

Agreed, but as my mate said, the players didn’t seemingly put up much of a fight to stay so May be they’re not arsed…

No player wants relegation to non league on their c.v.  especially the goal scorer and centre back captain.....

Plus it's Scunny so who would put up a fight to leave?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 29, 2022, 11:04am; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah

It’s not particularly a laughing matter, but I wouldn’t necessarily assume Scunny will be in this division next season. See Bury, Macclesfield.

Perhaps
Posted by: Phil the cod, January 29, 2022, 1:08pm; Reply: 12
I'd swap with them right now, still enough points for them to escape the drop, admittedly,it would take promotion form from them and others above them to melt down.
They always seem to spawn a way out of trouble.
Posted by: rancido, January 29, 2022, 1:15pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Phil the cod
I'd swap with them right now, still enough points for them to escape the drop, admittedly,it would take promotion form from them and others above them to melt down.

I wouldn't, as bad as non-league is. At least we have new owners who are trying to put us on a more sustainable footing in spite of The Leech as a millstone around our necks. With Swann as owner, when The Scunts go down I envisage total meltdown and a very strong possibility of them dropping further. Still, they can look forward to some "tasty" local derbies with Goole and Gainsborough in the not too distant future 😂
Posted by: supertown, January 29, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Phil the cod

Really? No way
Posted by: Phil the cod, January 29, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from supertown

Really? No way

Yes really, they are in the EFL, we are in non league football.
I'd like to think we'd give it a proper go with half the season still to play. Not a saying I'd swap clubs just league positions.
Were in far better shape than them off the field, but the reality is they are until mathematically impossible in the division above us.
Print page generated: May 8, 2024, 1:34am