Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, January 28, 2022, 1:19pm
This habit  of when a team has a corner  of placing the ball with just a millimetre over hanging the white line .....are todays Premiership players and all professional players incapable of kicking the ball that extra 3 inches that would be required if they actually placed the ball inside the quadrant .

I would love for Town to announce that  as a team we will always place the ball inside the quadrant because our players can kick it that far ......would set a good example to the kids  
Posted by: Poojah, January 28, 2022, 1:23pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Brazilnut
This habit  of when a team has a corner  of placing the ball with just a millimetre over hanging the white line .....are todays Premiership players and all professional players incapable of kicking the ball that extra 3 inches that would be required if they actually placed the ball inside the quadrant .

I would love for Town to announce that  as a team we will always place the ball inside the quadrant because our players can kick it that far ......would set a good example to the kids  

Agreed. I think this would solve literally all of our problems.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 28, 2022, 1:27pm; Reply: 2
Marginal gains and all that.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 28, 2022, 1:36pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Brazilnut

At the expense of a new striker?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 28, 2022, 2:00pm; Reply: 4
Dont get me going with these things. Why are players allowed to take throw ins that went out by the corner flag (att and def) up to 15 yrds away. What happened to bookings for players stopping free kicks being taken quickly someone always runs to where the ball is waits 5 secs then slowly walk away backwards   >:(
Posted by: blundellpork, January 28, 2022, 2:02pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Dont get me going with these things. Why are players allowed to take throw ins that went out by the corner flag (att and def) up to 15 yrds away. What happened to bookings for players stopping free kicks being taken quickly someone always runs to where the ball is waits 5 secs then slowly walk away backwards   >:(

Agree with you on both posts. Honesty and integrity have gradually eroded in order to gain the most imperceptible advantage.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 28, 2022, 2:15pm; Reply: 6
And the squealing like a baby with the slightest of touch to get the refs attention if Bobby c was still playing they would know what a tackle was.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 28, 2022, 2:18pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Brazilnut

According to the rules of the game, the ball is in the quadrant, so don't really understand your rant. It's stupid and an imperceivable advantage, but it doesn't slow down the game and isn't cheating.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 28, 2022, 2:18pm; Reply: 8
Talking of little things that annoy you.

Why do football commentators use the word "same", as in "they both went for the same ball.

There is only one bloody ball, why not just say "they both went for the ball"

What does the word "same" add to that?
Posted by: pen penfras, January 28, 2022, 2:20pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

Why do football commentators use the word "same", as in "they both went for the same ball.

The word ball doesn't just refer to the sack of air that gets kicked around. It is also a term used for a pass ie "what a ball that was", so in that case, they're both going after the same pass that is with the only ball on the pitch  ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 28, 2022, 2:22pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Brazilnut

I also get really p1ssed off when they don't place the ball on the penalty spot and the fanny of a ref does not see it.
Posted by: Kris2, January 28, 2022, 2:22pm; Reply: 11
At least the ball is within the area it should be still. Nothing like when players take a 10 yard stroll then run up another 10 yards for a throw in and refs say nothing. Or referees that keep stopping to talk to people before a corner is taken when they can just blow their whistle if they see a foul after it's taken. What do you need to talk about?

Plenty of things more annoying in football than players trying to steal an extra inch on a corner.
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 28, 2022, 2:25pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Kris2
At least the ball is within the area it should be still. Nothing like when players take a 10 yard stroll then run up another 10 yards for a throw in and refs say nothing. Or referees that keep stopping to talk to people before a corner is taken when they can just blow their whistle if they see a foul after it's taken. What do you need to talk about?

Plenty of things more annoying in football than players trying to steal an extra inch on a corner.

Also, it very, very rare to see a foul throw awarded these days. Some of the throw-ins you see these days are a joke.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 28, 2022, 2:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

Another little thing that annoys me is when the commentators constantly feel the need to apologise if the pitch-side microphones pick up any swearing from the crowd or the bench.....

"Apologies for any inappropriate language you may have picked up".

Personally I don't even notice it until they bring it up but then again my hearing isn't the best.
Posted by: Kk700, January 28, 2022, 2:43pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Brazilnut

I only played local football but took many corners. i always placed the ball on the outside edge of the D which is within the rules. The reason for this was to place the ball away from the corner flag so it i would not accidently catch the it on my approach. it actually meant that the ball was approx 300mm further away from the post when compared to placing all the ball within the "d"
Posted by: Abdul19, January 28, 2022, 2:44pm; Reply: 15
Most of the time when people moan about the ball being out of the quadrant, it's fine.
Posted by: GibMariner, January 28, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from diehardmariner

At the expense of a new striker?

What expense👎
Posted by: RichMariner, January 28, 2022, 3:18pm; Reply: 17
They need to crack down on foul throws. When some modern day Rory Delap hurls one into the six yard box you can see their front foot firmly planted beyond the line, and also their back foot drags - then often lifts - as they throw it.

Two offences in one!

And I'm not highlighting this just because I got penalised for taking a foul throw in a charity match (ahem...)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 28, 2022, 3:26pm; Reply: 18
There isn't  enough room for a run up to the ball at a lot of grounds, so placing the ball as far as you can  away from you, gives a bit more to play with.
Posted by: mimma, January 28, 2022, 3:31pm; Reply: 19
Stopping a player from taking a free kick is my biggest bugbear. As mentioned, players deliberately run up and stand in front of the ball to stop a free kick from being taken quickly, thereby slowing the game down. They were supposed to have clamped down on it but it has slowly stopped.

Another one that they introduced to speed up the game was to make keepers release the ball quickly instead of taking their time before releasing it. Again it allows teams to slow the game down to their advantage.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 28, 2022, 3:49pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from mimma
Stopping a player from taking a free kick is my biggest bugbear. As mentioned, players deliberately run up and stand in front of the ball to stop a free kick from being taken quickly, thereby slowing the game down. They were supposed to have clamped down on it but it has slowly stopped.

Another one that they introduced to speed up the game was to make keepers release the ball quickly instead of taking their time before releasing it. Again it allows teams to slow the game down to their advantage.

But can't they just hit it against the player and as it is no ten yards, the opposition player will be penalised?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 28, 2022, 3:53pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Brazilnut

I’m often linesman in U18s Sunday League football and the lads do the same thing.  Never see the point - it’s not like any of them are good enough for a few inches to make a difference
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 28, 2022, 3:55pm; Reply: 22

Goalies catching the ball and then falling to the ground to waste time....Grrr
Posted by: Brazilnut, January 28, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from pen penfras

According to the rules of the game, the ball is in the quadrant, so don't really understand your rant. It's stupid and an imperceivable advantage, but it doesn't slow down the game and isn't cheating.

Totally agree with you Pen it is within the rules .....I just think it has become more obvious since the introduction of goal line technology when a Nano hairs breath of leather is still over the back part of line means it isnt a goal means they can place the equivalent Nano over the leading edge of the quadrant .....put it is placed with such care like the player thinks if he places it a tad too close to the corner he wont be able to kick it into the area ......and think it would set a better example to the kids if the game was played with a little bit more integrity...... .also  annoys me when they never beat the first defender from a corner ......jeeeeas they are paid enough to kick the ball hard and high enough
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 28, 2022, 4:10pm; Reply: 24
Two things get me.

1. When the keeper has ball in hand, he takes an age to get rid of it. I thought a rule was brought in a year or so ago giving them 5 seconds.

2. Players that are only slightly injured just sitting down to stop the play. Worse than that is when the ref calls on the physio. If they are injured, make them walk off and receive treatment on the touchline so the game can continue.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 28, 2022, 5:11pm; Reply: 25
The thing that really pisses me off is when we don’t get the ball in the onion sack
Posted by: golfer, January 28, 2022, 5:16pm; Reply: 26
ALSO - why doesn't the linesman stick his flag up when the goalkeeper kicks the ball out of his hands 2-3 yards out of the penalty area
Posted by: lukeo, January 28, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 27
I hate it when teams are rewarded a free kick and place the ball down 10+ yards further up field. Played against Bridgwater on Saturday and they did it EVERY time! It got to the point where they almost took an indirect free kick for offside in their own half!
We beat them 3-2 😝
Posted by: goldenfish, January 28, 2022, 6:19pm; Reply: 28
Can’t say I’ve given it a seconds thought !
Posted by: moosey_club, January 28, 2022, 6:27pm; Reply: 29
To summarise the thread so far for anyone catching up....

We all hate the little things the opposition do to gain an advantage when they beat us...but I believe if we were winning using the same then it wouldn't be an issue 😀
Posted by: Stadium, January 28, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from moosey_club
To summarise the thread so far for anyone catching up....

We all hate the little things the opposition do to gain an advantage when they beat us...but I believe if we were winning using the same then it wouldn't be an issue 😀

Amazing isn't it??
Game management etc. etc................

Posted by: mimma, January 28, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 31
We notice it more because we are always losing so can't waste time😁
Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 28, 2022, 9:00pm; Reply: 32
Two footballs on top of each other really boils my urine.
You know, when you've got a football and there's another football on top of it.
It really fcuks me off and no mistake.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 28, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 33
My urine is at 100 degrees when I see players, mainly goalkeepers, stopping the other team from getting the ball back to the centre circle quickly after scoring a late goal. I nearly through something at the TV last week when the Notts Forest keeper let a late goal in, laid on the floor until he suddenly saw one of the opposition running to retrieve the ball when he jumped up and ran after the ball and started acting like kids trying to get the ball.

Any player who delays the return of the ball to the centre circle should be booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 28, 2022, 9:07pm; Reply: 34
Modern football sayings, usually on bad YouTube videos with ear piercing trap music:

Top bins
Worldie
Joss Ackland’s spunky backpack
Baller
Top, top, top player
Top, top player
Top player
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2022, 9:23pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from lukeo
I hate it when teams are rewarded a free kick and place the ball down 10+ yards further up field. Played against Bridgwater on Saturday and they did it EVERY time! It got to the point where they almost took an indirect free kick for offside in their own half!
We beat them 3-2 😝

I think you’ll find if it’s your team offside it has to be in their half.!!

Have a word Les 😉
Posted by: supertown, January 28, 2022, 9:34pm; Reply: 36
My urine is at 100 degrees when I see players, mainly goalkeepers, stopping the other team from getting the ball back to the centre circle quickly after scoring a late goal. I nearly through something at the TV last week when the Notts Forest keeper let a late goal in, laid on the floor until he suddenly saw one of the opposition running to retrieve the ball when he jumped up and ran after the ball and started acting like kids trying to get the ball.

Any player who delays the return of the ball to the centre circle should be booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour

That’s another of those pointless acts because the opposition kick off anyway so they wont rush
Posted by: Garth, January 28, 2022, 10:33pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from crusty ole pie
The thing that really pisses me off is when we don’t get the ball in the onion sack

WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, WHOA                         I'LL SAY !
Posted by: Rasen 17, January 28, 2022, 10:54pm; Reply: 38
nearly through something at the TV last week when the Notts Forest keeper let a late goal in, laid on the floor until he suddenly saw one of the opposition running to retrieve the ball when he jumped up and ran after the ball and started acting like kids trying to get the ball.

I think you'll  find that Bamba was booked!
Posted by: Abdul19, January 28, 2022, 11:37pm; Reply: 39

Joss Ackland’s spunky backpack

She was sick on The Bill
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 29, 2022, 12:30am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Rasen 17
I think you'll  find that Bamba was booked!

And let's hope it's a trend that catches on with Referees
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 29, 2022, 7:06am; Reply: 41
For me it’s the following:

Strikers giving someone a raised arm and thumbs up for a terrible pass just because they’ve thought to give the ball to them

Commentators giving their opinion as if they are a pundit - Jonathan Pearce

VAR - obviously

Pointless appeals for throw ins when players should be getting back in position

Not just diving but actual screaming!

Totally agree with the post about daft soccer AM inspired sayings - worldie, top bins etc

Oh and wouldn’t it be lovely to see a proper drop ball

Posted by: supertown, January 29, 2022, 7:42am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Vance Warner
For me it’s the following:

Strikers giving someone a raised arm and thumbs up for a terrible pass just because they’ve thought to give the ball to them

Commentators giving their opinion as if they are a pundit - Jonathan Pearce

VAR - obviously

Pointless appeals for throw ins when players should be getting back in position

Not just diving but actual screaming!

Totally agree with the post about daft soccer AM inspired sayings - worldie, top bins etc

Oh and wouldn’t it be lovely to see a proper drop ball

The drop ball rule changed in 2019, it is not contested anymore it is given to a specific  player
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 29, 2022, 8:23am; Reply: 43
Quoted from supertown

The drop ball rule changed in 2919, it is not contested anymore it is given to a specific  player

I know and it will continue to p1ss me off until the day I die!
Posted by: fishyfanny, January 29, 2022, 8:38am; Reply: 44
2919? I've been asleep longer than I thought 😂
Posted by: Mariner56, January 29, 2022, 8:52am; Reply: 45
The current trend of deliberately celebrating in front of the opposition fans. At one time it would have been a booking, now it seems to have become common practice and refs do nothing about it. I genuinely fear this is going to eventually lead to a very serious incident with someone getting badly hurt. I’m not excusing bad behaviour from fans but we all know that in a big crowd there is always gonna be a handful of nutters with no self control who are capable of reacting badly and causing a major incident.
Posted by: gobby, January 29, 2022, 9:06am; Reply: 46
People calling the Laws ‘Rules’ cheeses me off. Rules are in competitions like FA Cup. The rules in them are different to the Laws. Laws can not be changed apparently! each competition can have different rules. Also JT keeps stating the ‘Bye Line’ No such thing, it is the Goal Line, which runs the width of the playing area. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: supertown, January 29, 2022, 1:38pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from fishyfanny
2919? I've been asleep longer than I thought 😂

Whoops
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:47pm