Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), January 26, 2022, 5:16am
The most successful times over recent decades have been when the Mangers (Buckley & Hurst) have trawled non-league to identify those ‘rough diamonds’. We have attracted some great players that have gone on to become a significant part of those successes.

Why is it that on this turn of the wheel, Hurst isn’t scouring the lower leagues for those players? Have he lost his contacts, only looking in to EFL Clubs? Surely it’s these players in non-league that have the heart and desire to become great acquisitions for GTFC.

It is here in the National League where we should be identifying those talents and establishing our very own DNA.
Posted by: Davec, January 26, 2022, 7:08am; Reply: 1
Also last time Hurst signed many experienced pros who had success in the national and/or the leagues above, many of our squad had promotions from the national League under their belt and they helped the rough diamonds on, now it's different, instead of signing experienced proven pros he seems to be signing inexperienced pros who all have a point to prove and hoping they can prove that point. he seems to sign totally different sort of players than he did last time, either this is a new style he has implemented or as said he no longer has the contacts and or knowledge.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 26, 2022, 5:56pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from 1542
The most successful times over recent decades have been when the Mangers (Buckley & Hurst) have trawled non-league to identify those ‘rough diamonds’. We have attracted some great players that have gone on to become a significant part of those successes.

Why is it that on this turn of the wheel, Hurst isn’t scouring the lower leagues for those players? Have he lost his contacts, only looking in to EFL Clubs? Surely it’s these players in non-league that have the heart and desire to become great acquisitions for GTFC.

It is here in the National League where we should be identifying those talents and establishing our very own DNA.

Jackson Jr  , Gibson and the other one whose name escapes me would all fit that category wouldn't they?  
Just saying 🙃
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 26, 2022, 6:16pm; Reply: 3
Whenever I see this expression I think of Brian Laws
Posted by: moosey_club, January 26, 2022, 6:41pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Whenever I see this expression I think of Brian Laws

I was thinking it Mike Lyons who used that but maybe Laws on reflection
Lyons maybe just credited with the "fancy dans" and "Grimsby grit" in the build up the Arsenal Cup game in that era
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 27, 2022, 8:27am; Reply: 5
Oh great, a thread which (without giving examples) relies on a feeling that the boss hasn't got as wide a selection of targets....

Despite him signing players from each of the 4 divisions above us, admittedly some loans, plus a keeper from the other side of the world, and ignoring his signing of experience, Pearson and LJL, and Taylor, plus youth.

You could count JMD as a rough diamond if u like, or any of the recent 5 acquisitions, but you chose not to consider any of the squad just mention this feeling.  Who were we meant to sign, players from Boston? Clee Town? Which level and who are we missing? Also not a mention of us loaning youngsters to Brid, Clee, Belper etc...

And the 2nd post is as bad as the original poster too.
Sigh.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 27, 2022, 8:57am; Reply: 6
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
Oh great, a thread which (without giving examples) relies on a feeling that the boss hasn't got as wide a selection of targets....

Despite him signing players from each of the 4 divisions above us, admittedly some loans, plus a keeper from the other side of the world, and ignoring his signing of experience, Pearson and LJL, and Taylor, plus youth.

You could count JMD as a rough diamond if u like, or any of the recent 5 acquisitions, but you chose not to consider any of the squad just mention this feeling.  Who were we meant to sign, players from Boston? Clee Town? Which level and who are we missing? Also not a mention of us loaning youngsters to Brid, Clee, Belper etc...

And the 2nd post is as bad as the original poster too.
Sigh.

You forgot to mention that going into this season, teams at the levels below had played about 12 competitive games in 18 months. As many of those teams are finding out with those they have retained, a lot of them aren't the player they were before the pandemic...
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:14pm