Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 24, 2022, 9:41am
Grimsby Town are set to sign Aston Villa midfielder Arjan Raikhy on loan until the end of the season, according to reports.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 24, 2022, 9:47am; Reply: 1
Luckily for this guy the expectations on him are relatively low given Seb Revan and Easah Suliman are our benchmark knowledge of the abilities of Aston Villa loanees.

Certainly a position we need, just fingers crossed he's better than the other two, he can't be much worse.
Posted by: Stuart Discotheque, January 24, 2022, 9:56am; Reply: 2
Wasn't able to get in the team too often at Stockport but seems to be highly rated.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 3
Its  a position we urgently need
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 10:04am; Reply: 4
I thought Sulliman looked ok actually, unfortunately subbed off on his debut wasn't he then got a brief sub appearance a while after that.

Hopefully this lad can bring a bit creativity that we're badly lacking in the middle.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 10:12am; Reply: 5
Quoted from diehardmariner
I thought Sulliman looked ok actually, unfortunately subbed off on his debut wasn't he then got a brief sub appearance a while after that.

Hopefully this lad can bring a bit creativity that we're badly lacking in the middle.

Suliman had to wait until Jolley came in for his debut didn't he and I thought he played very well but then disappeared off the face of the earth. He's spent the last 2 seasons playing in the top 2 tiers of Portugal so he must have something.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 24, 2022, 10:28am; Reply: 6
Suliman wasn't helped by Slade not knowing he could only use 5 loanees  :o ;D
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 24, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 7
Raikhy played against us for Stockport earlier in the season in the 0-0 draw. Don't recall him making any sort of memorable impression either way, but Stockport did mostly control the midfield in that game so he must have done something right.
Posted by: dicko995, January 24, 2022, 11:08am; Reply: 8
Aston Villa midfielder Arjan Raikhy is set for a loan move to Grimsby Town.

The 19-year-old spent the first half of the season at Stockport County but was recalled early as he wasn't featuring regularly.

A number of clubs have shown an interest in Raikhy but it's Grimsby, the mid-table National League side, who have won the race to sign him.

Raikhy made his senior Villa debut in the FA Cup defeat to Liverpool in January 2021, and although he has not made a matchday squad since, there are still high hopes for him at the club.

Raikhy believes he has outgrown Under-23 level football and wants to test himself amongst seniors, which is why this move appealed.

Villa are also hoping to move a number of other youngsters on this month to further aid their development.

Boss Steven Gerrard says: "We've been trying to sort out moves for a number of our young players this month and we've also got a number of other things bubbling away,"
Posted by: Zmariner, January 24, 2022, 11:26am; Reply: 9
Hopefully an excellent player. As our midfield is sadly lacking. Yet another loan, from a team that we will not dream to be able to keep the player from. That just does not feel anything even medium-term never mind long-term about this project at the moment
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 24, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 10
Long term plans may need to be delayed in a short term crisis

We are in crisis mode at present not knowing where our next wins are coming from
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 24, 2022, 12:06pm; Reply: 11
I know a stockport fan (long story  ;D )
Basically said he's very good, and wouldn't look out of place in League 2 he feels, but Stockport's midfield is just too good this year with players like Sarcevic somehow playing non-league football
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 12:17pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Zmariner
Hopefully an excellent player. As our midfield is sadly lacking. Yet another loan, from a team that we will not dream to be able to keep the player from. That just does not feel anything even medium-term never mind long-term about this project at the moment

In fairness, we don't know if that's the case or not.  This lad might be ready to leave Villa's set-up and a loan period is basically an extended trial/opportunity to put himself in the shop window.  

Villa's youth set-up is rated as one of the best in the country at the minute with high hopes for a number of their young lads coming through, it could well be that he's been overtaken in the pecking order by a number of younger lads.

Whilst the reports from Stockport are that he was good, if he couldn't break into their side it doesn't appear that he's going to be kicking down doors at Villa Park.
Posted by: quebec38, January 24, 2022, 12:21pm; Reply: 13
Seen a lot of fuss about the number of loans recently and I do understand why people want players who are here for the long term… but it’s about the here and now surely. If loans come in and do very well and (as unlikely as it is) get us promoted, then I wouldn’t worry about where they came from or where they go back to. Deal with that at the time.

We desperately need the centre of midfield sorting out. Coke’s best days are probably behind him as sad as it is to admit. I don’t think Fox has been outstanding but definitely not bad plus I feel like he’s been dealt a tough hand. 2 men anchoring the midfield and his partner not being up to it is going to be tough. Plus chopping and changing each week doesn’t help.

I feel like an outstanding centre mid will solve a lot of problems. We have good defenders individually and some great attackers but nothing to link any of it. I guess everyone wants an outstanding midfielder though so I appreciate they’re not easy to come by.

Hopefully this guy is the man to do it. I’m surprised Villa would send him back after our treatment of Revan. I fully admit what I saw wasn’t good but he never got a run which Villa must have been expecting at least.

Edit - never has the word outstanding been used since Andy Cole’s “hit” in the 90s.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 24, 2022, 12:43pm; Reply: 14
Building for the future… Aston Villa’s.
Posted by: denni266, January 24, 2022, 12:48pm; Reply: 15
Yep what happened to building for our future ?
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2022, 1:01pm; Reply: 16
Hope he's better than what we have or what's the point.
Can't see anyone Hurst has brought in this January has improved the side.
Posted by: fishcake63, January 24, 2022, 1:57pm; Reply: 17
if we got this lad then i'd like to see a midfield of him burgess fox with mcatee in no10 feeding taylor & abrahams our wingers offer nothing away from home i'd like to see 4/3.1/2 but doubt we will go this way
Posted by: oochiad, January 24, 2022, 2:05pm; Reply: 18
To say any of the January’s signings aren’t an improvement is just ridiculous. This guy could be just what we need. I’m keeping the faith!! UTM!!
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2022, 2:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from oochiad
To say any of the January’s signings aren’t an improvement is just ridiculous. This guy could be just what we need. I’m keeping the faith!! UTM!!

Tell me where they have improved the team or the performances?? the full backs are no better (or worse) than the players they replaced, the other lad has had 10 minutes, if he was better than we have the manager should have the confidence to start him.
The other new bloke Abrahams, (thought he had a decentish debut) not a patch on Max or Erico in that position.
The keeper is no better or worse than Macca.
Posted by: quebec38, January 24, 2022, 3:05pm; Reply: 20
Splitting hairs here - Crocombe has been here all season. But anyway, I think he was brilliant on Saturday. Hard to say whether he did better or worse than Macca but every time he left his line to collect a high ball in a melee he took it well. This is Macca’s major downfall IMO and it was a vital quality to possess on Saturday with their aerial bombardment and physicality. He spilled one simple catch in to his chest but then gathered the ball straight away. I thought he was great and glad again it was him chosen to start the game.
Posted by: dicko995, January 24, 2022, 3:09pm; Reply: 21
gold star for you fishcake63, fully agree
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2022, 4:02pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from quebec38
Splitting hairs here - Crocombe has been here all season. But anyway, I think he was brilliant on Saturday. Hard to say whether he did better or worse than Macca but every time he left his line to collect a high ball in a melee he took it well. This is Macca’s major downfall IMO and it was a vital quality to possess on Saturday with their aerial bombardment and physicality. He spilled one simple catch in to his chest but then gathered the ball straight away. I thought he was great and glad again it was him chosen to start the game.

Agree re Saturday, his double save just before half time was brilliant but overall I would say ones not better than the other.
My point is that when new players come into the club they should at the least give you something you don't already have and I don't think any of the ones signed up over the last couple of weeks have.
Posted by: quebec38, January 24, 2022, 4:09pm; Reply: 23
Not too sure really.

I liked what I saw of Abrahams. He looked quick as well as strong. I will only judge him when he gets a go through the middle but it looked like he definitely had something that we don’t have already.

Amos looks ok to me and no worse than Crookes. I think Crookes is injured at the minute so that deal needed to be done.

Smith is another playing out of position. With Towler and DLK going, again it seemed like another that needed to happen. Harsh judging him when he’s played full back only so far.

Burgess is a strange one. Seems like he plays high up in midfield. Wasn’t trusted on Saturday and can’t remember him touching the ball in his 5 mins or so at the end of the Altrincham game. No chance to judge what he can or can’t do.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 24, 2022, 4:25pm; Reply: 24
Problem with a lot of these lads is that they have talent but lack the driven mentality that is needed to make top flight football on a regular basis.  They get farmed out but need nurturing to get the best out of them. Then their ego gets in the way, and it all feels to them to be a bit lower than their expectations.  You really need good leadership to get the best out of them.  Where's Ernest Shackleton when you need him?
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 24, 2022, 4:43pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mayaman
Problem with a lot of these lads is that they have talent but lack the driven mentality that is needed to make top flight football on a regular basis.  They get farmed out but need nurturing to get the best out of them. Then their ego gets in the way, and it all feels to them to be a bit lower than their expectations.  You really need good leadership to get the best out of them.  Where's Ernest Shackleton when you need him?

Len Shackleton would be a better option ( only us oldies remember him )
Posted by: Garth, January 24, 2022, 4:51pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from barrattstandman

Len Shackleton would be a better option ( only us oldies remember him )

The clown prince of soccer, Sunderland I think
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 24, 2022, 4:54pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from quebec38

I thought he was poor for their second goal, I know a daft header from Clifton but he went to punch it and got nowhere near.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 24, 2022, 5:10pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought he was poor for their second goal, I know a daft header from Clifton but he went to punch it and got nowhere near.

That's ridiculous, he went to punch it where he saw it, the deflection from Clifton gave him no chance.

Posted by: oochiad, January 24, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TAGG
Hope he's better than what we have or what's the point.
Can't see anyone Hurst has brought in this January has improved the side.

If you don’t go to the matches then I can understand if you can’t tell, if you do go then it’s pointless having a conversation with you about it.
Posted by: TAGG, January 24, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from oochiad

If you don’t go to the matches then I can understand if you can’t tell, if you do go then it’s pointless having a conversation with you about it.

Ye ST holders
My opinion.
Who are you, the reincarnation of Brian Clough??
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 24, 2022, 5:56pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from TAGG

Ye ST holders
My opinion.
Who are you, the reincarnation of Brian Clough??

I made exactly the same point as you in the “Just back thread” on Saturday night. I accept Smith is out of position and Amos looked good via Altrincham and was ok on Saturday but I’m not convinced he’s an upgrade on Crookes who is certainly the better defensively of the two. Abraham’s looked ok first half but I thought when he played more centrally in the second half he disappeared from the game ( but so did town) and scuffed his one real chance. Too early to make a real assessment of him as one game is not enough and Burgess can’t get in the side in a midfield where we are particularly weak.

What I’m sure we all hoped is that players coming in would be more like Miller, Palmer and Nolan who all immediately made us a better team and were not just squad members.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2022, 6:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I made exactly the same point as you in the “Just back thread” on Saturday night. I accept Smith is out of position and Amos looked good via Altrincham and was ok on Saturday but I’m not convinced he’s an upgrade on Crookes who is certainly the better defensively of the two. Abraham’s looked ok first half but I thought when he played more centrally in the second half he disappeared from the game ( but so did town) and scuffed his one real chance. Too early to make a real assessment of him as one game is not enough and Burgess can’t get in the side in a midfield where we are particularly weak.

What I’m sure we all hoped is that players coming in would be more like Miller, Palmer and Nolan who all immediately made us a better team and were not just squad members.

It's just a smorgasbord of players of similar abilities coming and going.

I don't think the manager really knows what he wants.

I think we all agree the team was terrific during the first part of the season but he has panicked and before you know it we will have yet another new team before January is out.

Quality over quantity would serve us better surely?
Posted by: Kris2, January 24, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 33
Ah just what we need when our season is on the rocks.....Another kid from Villa that struggles to get in the team of a non league team. Was Seb Revan lonely warming the bench? We really needed a player in this window who can come and have an impact, it lifts the team when somebody comes in making things happen and we are mostly replacing our kids on loan with more kids on loan.

At this point it feels like we lost two or three talented young players and replaced them with worse.
Posted by: denni266, January 24, 2022, 7:16pm; Reply: 34
How many players has hurst signed while he has been here ?  And have we got any better Nope we have not.  New owners have wasted there money and time with him in charge , It takes a special kind of manager to make a poor team worse and send them down , Then take a reasonable winning team and turn them in to losers . Now either the new owners are completley stupid not to see what is happining  or too soft and frightened to do something about it . Fenty will be on his back with laughter at what is happining  :o
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 24, 2022, 7:18pm; Reply: 35
[quote=1770]How many players has hurst signed while he has been here ?  And have we got any better Nope we have not.  New owners have wasted there money and time with him in charge , It takes a special kind of manager to make a poor team worse and send them down , Then take a reasonable winning team and turn them in to losers . Now either the new owners are completley stupid not to see what is happining  or too soft and frightened to do something about it . Fenty will be on his back with laughter at what is happining  :o[/quote]

Aye, no doubt with his little clan of followers tickling his belly!..🤡
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 7:31pm; Reply: 36
Like many, I was hoping that the January window would allow us to add two or three to augment/improve what we had when we’d got to the top of the league.

Instead, we’re filling gaps with more loans and Port Vale reserves. So much for building a squad.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 24, 2022, 7:37pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Like many, I was hoping that the January window would allow us to add two or three to augment/improve what we had when we’d got to the top of the league.

Instead, we’re filling gaps with more loans and Port Vale reserves. So much for building a squad.

So you moan when we bring players in on loan from the prem and the championship, and predictably you moan when we bring in players from teams in league 2. Just wondering where the actual intercourse  do you expect us to get players from?!?!

Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2022, 7:43pm; Reply: 38
now confirmed

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1485673757960245253
Posted by: LH, January 24, 2022, 8:06pm; Reply: 39
I completely understand why people would be pessimistic about this signing given recent loans from Villa but I’m willing to give him a chance to prove himself before I write him off. That might be a a bit radical for on here.
Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2022, 8:09pm; Reply: 40
Anybody know what sort of a midfielder he is? Does he have any pace or physicality? Is he the sort of box to box player or one more like Hunt who wants to be passing the ball rather than getting into the box himself? I know that, ideally, it would be nice to have a player with all of these attributes, but it would be interesting to know what he will add.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from LH
I completely understand why people would be pessimistic about this signing given recent loans from Villa but I’m willing to give him a chance to prove himself before I write him off. That might be a a bit radical for on here.

I hope he’s a great signing. However, I sort of hoped our last midfield signing (Burgess) might have been in the starting eleven ahead of Coke by now.
Posted by: DaleH, January 24, 2022, 9:25pm; Reply: 42
Welcome
Posted by: smokey111, January 24, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 43
Although no guarantees of football can be assured I would imagine Villa are expecting him to see more minutes than Revan. I am led to believe he has plenty of composure on the ball and can pick a pass. Fingers crossed.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 24, 2022, 9:52pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from dicko995

A number of clubs have shown an interest in Raikhy but it's Grimsby, the mid-table National League side, who have won the race to sign him.

'Mid table National league side'.

Yup, that is how far we have sunk.
Posted by: geir, January 24, 2022, 10:50pm; Reply: 45

He certainly looks way older than 19.... could be around 32 years old judging by that photo. Mature for his age.
Posted by: Norseman, January 24, 2022, 11:14pm; Reply: 46
Doesn't matter how good or bad players are if they are bench warming for 85 minutes ,or playing totally out of position in a formation only Hurst understands
Posted by: acko338, January 25, 2022, 1:29pm; Reply: 47
What's he like??

Well, he won player of the match when playing for Stockport against us earlier this season, so I'm prepared to give him a go !!
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 25, 2022, 2:40pm; Reply: 48
McAtee got Man of the Match on Saturday despite touching the ball about 5 times in the whole of the game.  That doesn't tend to hold much weight really, especially when it's picked by the sponsors.

Villa supporting mate says he's seen a few of the youth games with him in and said he's rangey without really having lots of pace.  Breaks stuff up and gets it moving again with nice passing.  More of a No 6 or 8 than a No10.  From that he sounds more like a replacement for Hunt.
Posted by: sam gy, January 25, 2022, 3:09pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I hope he’s a great signing. However, I sort of hoped our last midfield signing (Burgess) might have been in the starting eleven ahead of Coke by now.

We literally signed him 11 days ago to be fair, it's not as if he's had loads of chances to play. Coke by all accounts had his best game in a town shirt against Alty so i see why he was kept in against Bromley - though he did have a crap game.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:56pm