Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2022, 4:36pm
To have a go at Bromley https://twitter.com/debbiecgf/status/1485271194790158341?s=21
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 23, 2022, 4:54pm; Reply: 1
It's going to be very tough learning curve if she cannot understand why a small club like Bromley can win at BP and celebrate like they have won the league.

Bromley obviously don't share our values but I am afraid that is tough Debbie.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 23, 2022, 4:59pm; Reply: 2
Irrelevant and unnecesaary embarrassing Twitter spat now ensues. The club should instead be looking at themselves and working out ways to ensure that clubs like Bromley never do the double over us ever again. Complaining about relatively mild shithousery at this level of football for a club of our size shows a discernable level of inherent weakness.. Victimhood for GTFC in Division Five is not a good look..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2022, 5:11pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Bigdog
Irrelevant and unnecesaary embarrassing Twitter spat now ensues. The club should instead be looking at themselves and working out ways to ensure that clubs like Bromley never do the double over us ever again. Complaining about relatively mild shithousery at this level of football for a club of our size shows a discernable level of inherent weakness.. Victimhood for GTFC in Division Five is not a good look..

I’m with you. Would much prefer our Chief Executive to concentrate on putting our own house in order rather than having to worry about clubs like Bromley behaving in an unseemly manner.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 23, 2022, 5:12pm; Reply: 4
Yeah bromley are girl privates and wound us up

So what. They won. 6 points from us
Posted by: rancido, January 23, 2022, 5:17pm; Reply: 5
I seem to recall how incensed our fans were when Bromley scored against us at their ground and their players celebrated in front of our fans and bench. I'm with Debbie on this. Regardless of the result it was inflammatory action by their players towards our fans.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 23, 2022, 5:25pm; Reply: 6
Calling out Bromley for being girl privates with an unjustified chip on their shoulder is good and funny. More of this please.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 23, 2022, 5:29pm; Reply: 7
Go Girl
Posted by: quebec38, January 23, 2022, 5:33pm; Reply: 8
For all of the praise they deserve for playing to their strengths and organisation etc they really are a silly bunch of bad winners.

Not the best look getting involved on Twitter though. That thing is the pits anyway and now you can guarantee we’ll be embroiled in something with their account no doubt highlighting when we do badly. They are creating one of those (what should be) one-way rivalries. Let them get on with it. Especially when we are no rivals of theirs as they leave us well behind.

The board need to be concentrating on Grimsby Town and making sure we have staff in place that stop us from being utterly embarrassed by the likes of Bromley ever again.

We are doing so much good off the pitch and patience is commendable but decisions need to be made. If not and things rumble on as they are then frustration will begin to manifest itself in different ways.

I already feel like the badge saga would have been less of an issue if we were still flying like at the beginning of the season. Now people are picking on things like potentially outdated merchandise this season as a stick to poke the board with and if they can’t make the right decisions in terms of staff, that will only get worse.
Posted by: Phil the cod, January 23, 2022, 5:34pm; Reply: 9
Just a smokescreen to hide the fact we've been turned over TWICE by a village pub team that attracts sub 100 fans for away games.
Jose mourihno was the master of doing this,blaming everyone but himself for defeats.
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 23, 2022, 5:35pm; Reply: 10
We should be above them and let them have their moment . We should do our talking on the pitch .........oh we can't do that though cos they have been proved right
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2022, 5:36pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from quebec38
For all of the praise they deserve for playing to their strengths and organisation etc they really are a silly bunch of bad winners.

Not the best look getting involved on Twitter though. That thing is the pits anyway and now you can guarantee we’ll be embroiled in something with their account no doubt highlighting when we do badly. They are creating one of those (what should be) one-way rivalries. Let them get on with it. Especially when we are no rivals of theirs as they leave us well behind.

The board need to be concentrating on Grimsby Town and making sure we have staff in place that stop us from being utterly embarrassed by the likes of Bromley ever again.

We are doing so much good off the pitch and patience is commendable but decisions need to be made. If not and things rumble on as they are then frustration will begin to manifest itself in different ways.

I already feel like the badge saga would have been less of an issue if we were still flying like at the beginning of the season. Now people are picking on things like potentially outdated merchandise this season as a stick to poke the board with and if they can’t make the right decisions in terms of staff, that will only get worse.

Bottom line is that they have 6 points out of 6. We have none.
Posted by: Teestogreen, January 23, 2022, 5:42pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Bigdog

Agreed - nicely put - stiff upper lip required here - probably a ‘male thing’.
Posted by: LH, January 23, 2022, 5:44pm; Reply: 13
Soft as shite aren’t we?
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 23, 2022, 5:45pm; Reply: 14
If you’ve a problem with people disrespecting Grimsby fans Debbie.
Try having a pop at the various Police Forces and clubs that have been sh1tting on us all season.
That would be far more useful.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 23, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Civvy at last
If you’ve a problem with people disrespecting Grimsby fans Debbie.
Try having a pop at the various Police Forces and clubs that have been sh1tting on us all season.
That would be far more useful.

And equally pointless tbh
Posted by: Marinerdeano, January 23, 2022, 5:47pm; Reply: 16
Their behaviour was bizarre, unjustified and frankly embarrassing at their place. Long journey for loyal fans on a Tuesday night, soaked to the skin when there was amble covered space to accommodate us and players rub it in without provocation. That in its own right should have been enough incentive to win this game, if just for those fans that went there and were subjected to that. Sadly we didn't.
Posted by: Total Hawsehole, January 23, 2022, 5:50pm; Reply: 17
Put the boot in on the pitch. Which we didn't.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 23, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It was bad enough when Fenty came on here for arguments. Now we've got them going on the biggest social media sites to start pointless confrontational spats that only further embarrass the club.

Still, we can have an expensive scotch egg and now so it's loads better.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, January 23, 2022, 6:08pm; Reply: 19
Good on her I say, after being to both Bromley games my only hope is we hit a little bit of form and knock them out the play offs. X
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2022, 6:19pm; Reply: 20
She’s just doing what everyone does on here, expressing her “personal opinion” on social media.

Like they say respect is earned and I’ve seen nothing from Andy Woodman or his players to suggest they deserve any.

They took 6 points from us, we should move on and so should he.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 23, 2022, 6:28pm; Reply: 21
Never met Debbie but I like her she is better than Fenty  when it comes to talking about our vile and disrespectful fans.

It does not stop him posting on here though.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 23, 2022, 6:30pm; Reply: 22
Never met Debbie. She comes across well
However all I want is three points and promotion back to league 1 at least
Anything else is a distraction
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2022, 6:33pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Never met Debbie. She comes across well
However all I want is three points and promotion back to league 1 at least
Anything else is a distraction

“League 1 at least” being half decent in league 2 feels well beyond us at this moment in time.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 23, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 24
I don't think a response from her was necessary in the slightest and highlights that we are a feeble mid-table team that doesn't have the mentality from the top to win at all costs.

Time to stop being soft and do whatever it takes to win some football matches.

People were praying we celebrated in front of the Bromley bench yesterday (but we didn't) and then moan because they celebrated in front of our fans. The situation there is simple: win the game so they can't celebrate. They must be laughing at us crying whilst they sit in 4th place having taken 6 points off a spineless Grimsby side.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2022, 6:44pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I don't think a response from her was necessary in the slightest and highlights that we are a feeble mid-table team that doesn't have the mentality from the top to win at all costs.

People were praying we celebrated in front of the Bromley bench yesterday (but we didn't) and then moan because they celebrated in front of our fans. The situation there is simple: win the game so they can't celebrate. They must be laughing at us crying whilst they sit in 4th place having taken 6 points off a spineless Grimsby side.

Completely agree. You won’t put it right on Twitter, you put it right on the pitch.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 23, 2022, 6:46pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We were a club in free fall. We’ve been on life support for 17 years; an owner that simply refused to invest nor had a coherent plan. Simply existing was enough.

We gained promotion back to the football league and learned nothing, made the same mistakes and went backward, and here we are. A non league team once again.

We all want to win, everyone believes in the club but we’re more copulated than people probably realised and after being the worst side in the football league for a season, we weren’t just going to become an amazing side.
Posted by: LH, January 23, 2022, 6:56pm; Reply: 27
Even using schoolyard logic you’d know not to comment on it because by doing so you encourage more of this behaviour.
Posted by: Kris2, January 23, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Phil the cod
Just a smokescreen to hide the fact we've been turned over TWICE by a village pub team that attracts sub 100 fans for away games.
Jose mourihno was the master of doing this,blaming everyone but himself for defeats.

Yes but he's also a winner that has won pretty much every league he managed teams in and won the Champion's League twice. We don't have the results to be playing the blame game as we've been non league or league strugglers for years now, not been above League Two in almost 20 years which is a whole lifetime for some fans who grew up with us as a mediocre non league team pushing for playoffs.

We should do our talking on the pitch and save the moving the blame for when we have results to show for it.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 23, 2022, 7:11pm; Reply: 29
If you’re getting beaten home and away by a team I personally think you need to keep your mouth shut and stop whining. And definitely don’t take to Twitter ffs . Embarrassing.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 23, 2022, 7:15pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from aldi_01

We were a club in free fall. We’ve been on life support for 17 years; an owner that simply refused to invest nor had a coherent plan. Simply existing was enough.

We gained promotion back to the football league and learned nothing, made the same mistakes and went backward, and here we are. A non league team once again.

We all want to win, everyone believes in the club but we’re more copulated than people probably realised and after being the worst side in the football league for a season, we weren’t just going to become an amazing side.

Fully accept that it takes time to turn around a sinking ship and my thoughts are that we will have done very well if we get out of here within 3 years but I don't expect us to lose 11 out of 14 games. Look at the teams doing well, most of them are very physical and do whatever it takes to get 3 points.

I want it to work out for Hurst, I really do but he needs to find a way to start winning some football matches. We had a big head start on recruitment this season, everyone else has had a pandemic to deal with and we returned to pre-season earlier than most teams. Our start was fantastic yesterday yet we were absolutely knackered in the second half. Why is that?
Posted by: smokey111, January 23, 2022, 7:17pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
If you’re getting beaten home and away by a team I personally think you need to keep your mouth shut and stop whining. And definitely don’t take to Twitter ffs . Embarrassing.

I don't get the logic. Can you only defend your club when they are winning? If Debbie Cook feels his paranoid rant is worthy of a response, then the result of the game is irrelevant.
Posted by: sam gy, January 23, 2022, 7:18pm; Reply: 32
All she’s doing is sticking up for the fans/club. Don’t see the harm in that at all.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 23, 2022, 7:30pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from sam gy
All she’s doing is sticking up for the fans/club. Don’t see the harm in that at all.

She’s not sticking up for me.

We were well beaten in the end by a team that knew their jobs and played to their strengths while our supposedly more experienced manager made a very strange decision about a substitution.

They clearly felt disrespected for some reason and they put it right, we need to do the same on Tuesday night.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Fully accept that it takes time to turn around a sinking ship and my thoughts are that we will have done very well if we get out of here within 3 years but I don't expect us to lose 11 out of 14 games. Look at the teams doing well, most of them are very physical and do whatever it takes to get 3 points.

I want it to work out for Hurst, I really do but he needs to find a way to start winning some football matches. We had a big head start on recruitment this season, everyone else has had a pandemic to deal with and we returned to pre-season earlier than most teams. Our start was fantastic yesterday yet we were absolutely knackered in the second half. Why is that?

Ask the analyst or the strength & conditioning lad.
Posted by: sam gy, January 23, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ok mate - all she was doing is sticking up for the fans, apart from you.
Posted by: DaleH, January 23, 2022, 7:35pm; Reply: 36
Frankly I find that a bit embarrassing. What on earth does she think she is doing.

To me, that now feels like 9 points dropped to them, when our top executive cannot resist in biting the bait. And here was me thinking that we were the fishing experts.

The true victory in all of this nonsense, would have been keeping quiet and letting him make himself look arrogant. Not going mammary for tat with the fella.

Disappointed
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 23, 2022, 7:41pm; Reply: 37
FFS...get a grip!... Debbie Cook has defended the integrity of the club and you lot go on about the result!..not connected at all, she's bang on imo..Woodman is a first class pr!ck, their players nearly incited a f@cking riot at BP yesterday..I've no issue with the opponent's riling the away fans of they score but the scenes at the end was beyond refute, if Woodman had anything about him he'd have gone over and taken his players off the pitch but no, he lets it carry on.
He hates us because Donovan embrarrased his fat ar£e at Wembley and hasn't let it go...
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 23, 2022, 7:41pm; Reply: 38
Am I missing something? She's hardly offered him out has she? The flipping drama on here from some of you....
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 23, 2022, 7:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Am I missing something? She's hardly offered him out has she? The flipping drama on here from some of you....

It would be funny if she did 😂
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 23, 2022, 7:46pm; Reply: 40
The collective pearl clutching on here might blow up the internet.
Posted by: Croxton, January 23, 2022, 7:52pm; Reply: 41

Legsby Avenue!
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Spot on especially the highlighted bit but sadly because of poor game management we couldn't.
Posted by: Stadium, January 23, 2022, 8:00pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Exactly this
Frankly pathetic moaning about celebrations etc etc.
Good luck to them,a great scalp taking six points.
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 23, 2022, 8:03pm; Reply: 44
How naive that we should respond to this.
That’s there ethos play ugly , behave ugly , no want like us we don’t care , team spirit , punch above their weight.
A lot to learn.
Posted by: heppy88, January 23, 2022, 8:14pm; Reply: 45
Debbie Cook, chief executive of a multi million pound business and community asset, getting embroiled in sticks and stones on Twitter, is just pathetic and embarrassing. If Fenty had carried out this nonsense 99% of posters on here would have derided him for it. For a chief exec, supposedly creating a club the community can be proud of, lowering herself (and ultimately GTFC) like this is childish at best.
Posted by: Yoda, January 23, 2022, 8:15pm; Reply: 46
Let them have their 5 minutes of fame
They won’t go up Woodman will go to Gillingham and fail.
He’ll be out of work next year.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2022, 8:22pm; Reply: 47
A bit sad that the club has to get involved in this.

Bromley may well respond and then where will it end?

We should have just beaten them but sadly we didn't.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, January 23, 2022, 11:12pm; Reply: 48
Got to love a bit of fifth division beef.

I think when a manager calls your integrity into question on national TV, it's very difficult to not respond to that.  Not sure why he's chosen to go to war with us, but it's clearly worked.  The siege mentality won't last forever though, they'll have to grow up eventually and hopefully we get a chance to put it right if we can turn our season around.
Posted by: barralad, January 23, 2022, 11:34pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from pen penfras

It was bad enough when Fenty came on here for arguments. Now we've got them going on the biggest social media sites to start pointless confrontational spats that only further embarrass the club.

Still, we can have an expensive scotch egg and now so it's loads better.

These continuous "scotch egg" references are getting very boring.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2022, 12:27am; Reply: 50
Quoted from barralad

Indeed they are.

The fans asked for better food in the survey. They got better food.  :-/
Posted by: LH, January 24, 2022, 12:34am; Reply: 51
Absolutely correct and rightly so.

However: Docks are currently selling packs of 12 Pettits sausages at £9 (£0.75 per sausage). Yesterday they were charging £4 for a sausage bun in the fanzone for two sausages in a bun. I know the fuel bills have gone up but £2.50 to cook and bread two sausages - really?! 50p for cheese as well and 30p (7% increase) on Clap Fish in a week. We all wanted better food but I don’t think we wanted the urine taking out of us as well.
Posted by: MarinerWY, January 24, 2022, 12:41am; Reply: 52
Quoted from LH

However: Docks are currently selling packs of 12 Pettits sausages at £9 (£0.75 per sausage). Yesterday they were charging £4 for a sausage bun in the fanzone for two sausages in a bun. I know the fuel bills have gone up but £2.50 to cook and bread two sausages - really?! 50p for cheese as well and 30p (7% increase) on Clap Fish in a week. We all wanted better food but I don’t think we wanted the urine taking out of us as well.

It's footy ground food tho, I assume with rents for the place in the Fanzone so the club also makes money.

You can easily pay four quid for a excrement pukka pie at some grounds. £2 for Mars bars etc.
Posted by: davmariner, January 24, 2022, 12:57am; Reply: 53
It’s football, sh1t like celebrating in front of opposition fans happens all the time.

I was at the Bromley away game for example and some of the fans were giving plenty of abuse to their manager and players. If you give it out, you have to be able to take it.

And also, beef between clubs is also why we love the game, as it adds excitement and is a talking point.

No need to take to Twitter to call opposition players out. It strikes me as naive from the CEO and perhaps shows a bit of inexperience in footballing circles.
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 24, 2022, 6:32am; Reply: 54
Quoted from DaleH
Frankly I find that a bit embarrassing. What on earth does she think she is doing.

To me, that now feels like 9 points dropped to them, when our top executive cannot resist in biting the bait. And here was me thinking that we were the fishing experts.

The true victory in all of this nonsense, would have been keeping quiet and letting him make himself look arrogant. Not going t i t for tat with the fella.

Disappointed

Posted by: GYinScuntland, January 24, 2022, 6:59am; Reply: 55
Quoted from barralad

Indeed they are but do Scotch eggs count as a meal or are they a snack and must you sit down to eat them?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 7:40am; Reply: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Indeed they are.

The fans asked for better food in the survey. They got better food.  :-/

There should also be a happy medium. £6 for a sausage sandwich is scandalous.
Posted by: aussiej, January 24, 2022, 8:26am; Reply: 57
Investment on the pitch is all that matters... The rest is just a distraction.  The last time we really invested in the team was when Alan Buckley was manager after he came back from West Brom...  The likes of Groves, Donavon, Smith, Nogan and Burnett etc. were brought in and success was attained that year with promotion back to the championship...   If we could invest in the team you have to ask yourself:  "Do we have the right manager to do the job'... and then you have to build that team with permanent signings with decent contracts to keep it together while you are rebuilding....  Build a team the right way even if it takes a year or two..  Put some solid foundations into it and stop all these loans...
Posted by: It Bites, January 24, 2022, 8:58am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Fillipe Noche

Define Bullying
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 24, 2022, 9:05am; Reply: 59
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We were well beaten in the end by a team that knew their jobs and played to their strengths while our supposedly more experienced manager made a very strange decision about a substitution.

They clearly felt disrespected for some reason and they put it right, we need to do the same on Tuesday night.

I can't remember a strange substitution, which one was that?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 24, 2022, 9:09am; Reply: 60
The fact that woodman struggled to string a coherent sentence together and repeated himself a couple of times without making any reasoned argument for how we disrespected them should never have warranted a reply to it on Twitter from the club .

Silence is the best way to disrespect people at times and our CEO should’ve taken that route.

In the greater scheme of things it’ll all be forgotten in a couple of weeks anyway .
Posted by: Hagrid, January 24, 2022, 9:09am; Reply: 61
Quoted from ivanosandwich

I can't remember a strange substitution, which one was that?

clifton for JMD
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 24, 2022, 9:19am; Reply: 62
Quoted from aussiej
Investment on the pitch is all that matters... The rest is just a distraction.  The last time we really invested in the team was when Alan Buckley was manager after he came back from West Brom...  The likes of Groves, Donavon, Smith, Nogan and Burnett etc. were brought in and success was attained that year with promotion back to the championship...   If we could invest in the team you have to ask yourself:  "Do we have the right manager to do the job'... and then you have to build that team with permanent signings with decent contracts to keep it together while you are rebuilding....  Build a team the right way even if it takes a year or two..  Put some solid foundations into it and stop all these loans...

When the new owners were announced I assumed this would be the strategy from the start - first and foremost invest in the team in conjunction with the easier tasks of improving facilities.

They do need to raise their game on the playing side - assuming Hurst is being ambitious enough with his request for players but he always seems so low key and I sometimes wonder if he takes a perverse pleasure at making do.
Posted by: sam gy, January 24, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 63
Quoted from LH

There are cheaper options all around the ground and outside too. No one is forcing you to pay that. If you want a cheaper sausage bun I’m sure you can find a greasy spoon on Grimsby road that will do you a mass produced lips and ar**holes banger in a bun for half the price.

It’s moaning for moanings sake.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, January 24, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 64
Quoted from Hagrid

clifton for JMD

Okay, I'll assume that the original poster called it a strange substitution before he knew that JMD was injured.

So in hindsight, not strange at all.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 9:29am; Reply: 65
Quoted from ivanosandwich

Okay, I'll assume that the original poster called it a strange substitution before he knew that JMD was injured.

So in hindsight, not strange at all.

I didn’t actually.

I found it strange that JMD wasn’t replaced like for like by Sousa or Wright.

No disrespect to Harry but we were winning the game down that side when we had the attacking threat but ended up losing control of that side of the pitch.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 9:32am; Reply: 66
Quoted from sam gy

There are cheaper options all around the ground and outside too. No one is forcing you to pay that. If you want a cheaper sausage bun I’m sure you can find a greasy spoon on Grimsby road that will do you a mass produced lips and ar**holes banger in a bun for half the price.

It’s moaning for moanings sake.

You seem to misunderstand the right to have an opinion.
Posted by: sam gy, January 24, 2022, 9:40am; Reply: 67
Quoted from MuddyWaters

You seem to misunderstand the right to have an opinion.

Nope, it’s just my opinion that it’s moaning for moanings sake. Is that alright?

And in his workings out he neglected to mention cost of wage for their staff, and whatever their deal is with the club who I imagine they either pay a fee to, or give a % of their earnings to.

Pretty sure I’ve paid a similar price for a plain Rollover hot dog in a stale baguette in away ends when that IS the only option.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 9:58am; Reply: 68
Storm in a teacup at best.

Woodman is a sharp object that manages a horrible side.  Yet he's also the same sharp object that's taken 6 points off us because we rolled over to have our bellies tickled.

Cook's response shouldn't be the focus of this week.  The inquiry should be into why we were so feeble, why we threw away a relatively comfortable position and why the last 3 months we've fallen like a stone.

Cynic in me thinks it's a nice distraction technique from Cook to deflect from the alarming form and increasing calls for a managerial change.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 10:03am; Reply: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

Woodman is a sharp object that manages a horrible side.  Yet he's also the same sharp object that's taken 6 points off us because we rolled over to have our bellies tickled.

Cook's response shouldn't be the focus of this week.  The inquiry should be into why we were so feeble, why we threw away a relatively comfortable position and why the last 3 months we've fallen like a stone.

Cynic in me thinks it's a nice distraction technique from Cook to deflect from the alarming form and increasing calls for a managerial change.

Years of supporting Town do that to you, don't they?

We had chances to bury them Saturday but we are nothing like ruthless enough and we always seem ready to drop a level to let the opposition into the game. I'm convinced we've still got the players to get promoted but they seem to lack willpower and motivation. Very strange.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 10:28am; Reply: 70
Quoted from diehardmariner

There could be something in this theory. The Jose Mourinho effect who made everyone talk about him so the team could get on with the job.

If we lose two games this week, I hope for their sake they don't come out with the "long-term project" spiel or complain that we've been bullied again. It's competitive football and there are 3 points at stake so it's about time our team make sure they get a lot more than 7 points from the next set of 12 league games.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 12:12pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Years of supporting Town do that to you, don't they?

We had chances to bury them Saturday but we are nothing like ruthless enough and we always seem ready to drop a level to let the opposition into the game. I'm convinced we've still got the players to get promoted but they seem to lack willpower and motivation. Very strange.

I think we've got the players, I'm just not sure we've got the right balance of them.  In attack we should have enough between Taylor, McAtee, Abrahams, Sousa, Wright and even LJL as an option from the bench to more than see off the vast majority of sides in this league.  Individually it's a very good collection of attacking options.

But the balance in midfield, or the lack of it, is a real concern and a huge hinderance towards progression.  Whichever pairing we put into the centre of the park, it's just not dynamic enough.  Coke is too defensive minded and whilst I thought he was ok on Saturday, his dawdling on the edge of the area really cost us.  He doesn't move the play quickly enough and at numerous times this season he's slowed down our attack to our cost.  Fox has really disappointed me since his impressive start.  He neither offers an attacking outlet or seems to really protect the defence.  He doesn't create a lot or move the ball at pace in a Hunt like style.  He looks like he should be a box-to-box type but I lost count of the times on Saturday when he was deeper than Coke.  Clifton is the best of the bunch but he's not creative enough either, especially if he's deemed the more attack minded of the three.  He can (and should be, in my opinion) deployed as the one who will burst beyond the strikers and I'd like to see him played more centrally to do that.  

This lack of anything in the middle leads to McAtee dropping deeper and deeper, with it becoming less and less effective.  To the point on Saturday when he was a virtual passenger for large periods.  That in turn creates a huge gap behind Taylor so our only outlet is wide.

With Efete out (and another who doesn't seem as impressive as the late days of Summer) it means we've got even less attacking outlets.  We're incredibly predictable and as soon as Maguire-Drew went off on Saturday it was painful.

Unless Burgess is going to come into the team and spray the ball around at pace and/or carry the ball forward with intent to create chances (or of course we bring someone else in to do that), then we're never going to be serious challengers this season.

Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 12:14pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There could be something in this theory. The Jose Mourinho effect who made everyone talk about him so the team could get on with the job.

If we lose two games this week, I hope for their sake they don't come out with the "long-term project" spiel or complain that we've been bullied again. It's competitive football and there are 3 points at stake so it's about time our team make sure they get a lot more than 7 points from the next set of 12 league games.

Agreed.  Happy for the club to talk about the bigger picture, but that doesn't need to come at the expense of the immediate either.  Even forgetting league placings, the crowd aren't getting entertainment at the minute and you can see that in the gates (massively inflated at the weekend by Great Grimsby Day offers and packing kids into the away end).  Take away those offers and the crowds could look really sparse.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from jamesgtfc

There should also be a happy medium. £6 for a sausage sandwich is scandalous.

LH said they were £4.

If they are £6, then yes, I agree that's scandalous.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 24, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 74

When the new owners were announced I assumed this would be the strategy from the start - first and foremost invest in the team in conjunction with the easier tasks of improving facilities.

They do need to raise their game on the playing side - assuming Hurst is being ambitious enough with his request for players but he always seems so low key and I sometimes wonder if he takes a perverse pleasure at making do.

But they literally came in and immediately started talking about sustainability. Only because of the pure elation of being rid of Fenty did that sound anything different to "more of the same on the budget". I realise they're going to spend more money on infrastructure and community projects, but unless that is backed up by an increase in fans through the gate, then it's money out of the playing budget that people complain was too small in the first place. And it's quite obvious that more people are only going to turn up if we're winning from the way the gates have gone the last few months.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 12:54pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from ginnywings

LH said they were £4.

If they are £6, then yes, I agree that's scandalous.

£5.50 for 2 sausages in a bun.

[url]https://twitter.com/DocksBeers/status/1484593115864436737?t=UrpC8h1GVw6nDf7cknTv3A&s=19[/url]
Posted by: ska face, January 24, 2022, 1:03pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from pen penfras

But they literally came in and immediately started talking about sustainability. Only because of the pure elation of being rid of Fenty did that sound anything different to "more of the same on the budget". I realise they're going to spend more money on infrastructure and community projects, but unless that is backed up by an increase in fans through the gate, then it's money out of the playing budget that people complain was too small in the first place. And it's quite obvious that more people are only going to turn up if we're winning from the way the gates have gone the last few months.

The problem you’ve got in pointing to attendances as a barometer of success is that there has only been 1 game at BP this season where the attendance dropped below the average of 4599 Fenty achieved in 19/20. And that’s in non-league where you’re averaging probably 70/80 away fans rather than 300-400.

So even with 3 wins in 14, the new board are pulling in more fans than Fenty did a division higher. You might be advised to stop using Fenty as a yardstick by which to judge the new board because it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be worse under any metric.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 24, 2022, 1:45pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from pen penfras

No it's not, they've said any money spent on improvements will not affect the playing budget, that was set on expected gate receipts and season ticket sales
Posted by: LH, January 24, 2022, 6:27pm; Reply: 78
Just catching up with this. I didn’t buy one but my mate did and I misheard how much he paid - £4.50 seemed excessive to me! Whilst everyone is free to spend their money as they wish (and I will happily pay a bit more than Docks charge in their own bar at BP) I’m sorry but that is an absolute rip off. We can do better than this.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 24, 2022, 6:42pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from ska face

The problem you’ve got in pointing to attendances as a barometer of success is that there has only been 1 game at BP this season where the attendance dropped below the average of 4599 Fenty achieved in 19/20. And that’s in non-league where you’re averaging probably 70/80 away fans rather than 300-400.

So even with 3 wins in 14, the new board are pulling in more fans than Fenty did a division higher. You might be advised to stop using Fenty as a yardstick by which to judge the new board because it’s unlikely that they’ll ever be worse under any metric.

With all the good feeling and great start, we get 5000 fans when giving away nearly 20% for free. Come on, it's hardly good, is it? Plus it's not even about Fenty, is it. It's about the only thing that really matters is performance on the pitch and since that went mammaries up the gates have quickly dropped and will continue to do so without something to bring back some optimism.
Posted by: ska face, January 24, 2022, 6:53pm; Reply: 80
There were 5854 there on Saturday with 711 kids in for free (seen quite a few saying they loved it and will be back).  Not quite 20% of 5000 is it? We’ve only had 1 below 5k all year.

If it’s not all about Fenty, why do you hark back to his glorious spell every time you post here? This is a bloke who said fans could pay what they liked and didn’t break 6000 from what I can remember.
Posted by: It Bites, January 24, 2022, 7:02pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from pen penfras

With all the good feeling and great start, we get 5000 fans when giving away nearly 20% for free. Come on, it's hardly good, is it? Plus it's not even about Fenty, is it. It's about the only thing that really matters is performance on the pitch and since that went mammaries up the gates have quickly dropped and will continue to do so without something to bring back some optimism.

Fenty was a failure as far as football is concerned . 3 relegations into non league ( yes we were saved by massive points deductions on one occasion) . To start judging the new owners against Fenty after a few months is just pathetic and rather immature tbh . So grow up a bit and go play with your friends . FF was certainly right about you all
Posted by: ginnywings, January 24, 2022, 7:16pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from LH
Just catching up with this. I didn’t buy one but my mate did and I misheard how much he paid - £4.50 seemed excessive to me! Whilst everyone is free to spend their money as they wish (and I will happily pay a bit more than Docks charge in their own bar at BP) I’m sorry but that is an absolute rip off. We can do better than this.

Yep, you can get fish and chips for less than that.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from pen penfras

skaface has already pulled apart your pathetic maths/lies, so I will just confine myself to pondering what the crowd would've been like if your best mate had still been in charge - i'll start the guessing at sub 3000

For all of you making stupid comments about scotch eggs, i'm just wondering whether the fact that it's a much better match day experience has meant the attendances have held up much better than might be expected after such an appalling run
Posted by: GibMariner, January 24, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from It Bites

Define Bullying

By so many accounts the staff are feeling it and strong sources say a letter of complaint went to the very top.

Don’t shoot the messenger and I don’t understand why so many on here are so protective about this.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 24, 2022, 7:58pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from forza ivano

skaface has already pulled apart your pathetic maths/lies, so I will just confine myself to pondering what the crowd would've been like if your best mate had still been in charge - i'll start the guessing at sub 3000

For all of you making stupid comments about scotch eggs, i'm just wondering whether the fact that it's a much better match day experience has meant the attendances have held up much better than might be expected after such an appalling run

Whatever the maths say, there's one thing that's pretty obvious and this is that the budget is either just as bad as under Fenty or incredibly badly mismanaged. The fact that we wouldn't pay a little bit more money to keep probably our 2nd best performer of the season and instead decided to gamble on more loans and 6 months signings makes me think it's much more about money than anything else.

And the stupid thing is, you all talk like I'm against the new owners for pointing out that they're doing the exact same things that Fenty got lambasted for. Arguing with people on the internet, same crappy budget. Just because it's somebody else doing it doesn't make it any better because you dislike them less.
Posted by: GibMariner, January 24, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from ska face

Anything to do with the televised games during lock down and some getting the bug, plus covid let me out again!! & also the great start we had, plus the change at the top. Won’t stay like this though with baloney about infrastructure, core values and a social experiment, when dishing up crap on the pitch.

Nice when it came together at the start though 👍👍
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 24, 2022, 8:32pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from GibMariner

By so many accounts the staff are feeling it and strong sources say a letter of complaint went to the very top.

Don’t shoot the messenger and I don’t understand why so many on here are so protective about this.

I’m saying nothing
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 24, 2022, 8:34pm; Reply: 88

I’m saying nothing

Long may that continue.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from GibMariner

Is this your backup account Filipe?
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 24, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from GibMariner

I'd shoot you as the messenger after a cursory glance at your post history. Practically every single one of your previous posts contains a snipe at the new owners. Clearly an agenda on display there.
Posted by: sydney, January 24, 2022, 8:58pm; Reply: 91
So we should have been up for the return and beaten the classless amateurs
But been Town we didn’t
Posted by: Zmariner, January 24, 2022, 8:58pm; Reply: 92
Debbie’s reply reminds me of the Haribo advert. Woodman is clearly a prize bell end but why get involved
Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 24, 2022, 9:11pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from KingsleysHair

In all fairness, I thought it was pretty common knowledge she was “removed” from her position at the YMCA before the opening of the Freeman Street site because of similar allegations. I was there today and no sight of her, same on Friday.

Steady on there. That’s not what she said on the recent interview she gave. When she said it was a difficult decision to make leaving YMCA before the completion of the new centre.

You might come in for some stick for making this kind of unsubstantiated allegation
Posted by: Maringer, January 24, 2022, 9:12pm; Reply: 94
I'd imagine the Fishy logs IP addresses used when people post. Most web forums do, I believe. Should be relatively straightforward to discover which accounts "just happen" to share an IP address.

At least that's my take on things.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 24, 2022, 9:17pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine the Fishy logs IP addresses used when people post. Most web forums do, I believe. Should be relatively straightforward to discover which accounts "just happen" to share an IP address.

At least that's my take on things.

It's not hard to post as multiple users from different IP addresses on the same computer. Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if that's what certain people on here do.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 24, 2022, 10:20pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from pen penfras

Whatever the maths say, there's one thing that's pretty obvious and this is that the budget is either just as bad as under Fenty or incredibly badly mismanaged. The fact that we wouldn't pay a little bit more money to keep probably our 2nd best performer of the season and instead decided to gamble on more loans and 6 months signings makes me think it's much more about money than anything else.

And the stupid thing is, you all talk like I'm against the new owners for pointing out that they're doing the exact same things that Fenty got lambasted for. Arguing with people on the internet, same crappy budget. Just because it's somebody else doing it doesn't make it any better because you dislike them less.

As far as I'm aware we were paying c £1k p.w. of hunts £5k pw wages.wednesday then turned round and demanded we paid far more (possibly all) of those wages, a total cost of c£100k. We refused and hes moved on to a F.L. club
Course the silver lining for your mate theres another 100k saved which should help to pay him off......
Posted by: immariner, January 24, 2022, 10:37pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from forza ivano

As far as I'm aware we were paying c £1k p.w. of hunts £5k pw wages.wednesday then turned round and demanded we paid far more (possibly all) of those wages, a total cost of c£100k. We refused and hes moved on to a F.L. club
Course the silver lining for your mate theres another 100k saved which should help to pay him off......

Not a chance Hunt was on £5k a week before he signed his new contract and not a chance now either.
Posted by: GibMariner, January 24, 2022, 11:27pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Chrisblor

I'd shoot you as the messenger after a cursory glance at your post history. Practically every single one of your previous posts contains a snipe at the new owners. Clearly an agenda on display there.

No I’m just not blinded by all the clap trap and I expect much better.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 25, 2022, 5:17am; Reply: 99
This was always going to be an issue for some of our fans…ya know, the ones that just assumed that millionaires coming in would mean splashing of cash…anyone with half a brain knew that this was a long term project and whilst people seem to only care about the team, some of the stuff that’s needed cash spent on it is in fact for the survival of the team…long term.

Nobody would care and nobody did care when we were top of the league. Half the people sticking the knife in wouldn’t be here and people always want to find something to or someone blame. I heard s bloke on Saturdays lotwrelly blaming the ref…like he was the one the Cruyff turned in his own box and gave the ball away, like he was the one who made the poor sub. Like he was the one that couldn’t defend a corner at the near post…

10 pages about someone at the club tweeting something…says a lot. I’ve no issue criticising, and perhaps it was a bad move but we could list pages of embarrassing moments of the previous incumbents and that’s without discussion added…

Interesting that those who’ve appeared out of the woodwork will claim they don’t support Fenty yet seemingly leap to his defence or point out ‘faults’ of the new ownership and align them with John…ducking terrifying that really. Almost like they enjoyed it under fenty.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 25, 2022, 5:19am; Reply: 100

Steady on there. That’s not what she said on the recent interview she gave. When she said it was a difficult decision to make leaving YMCA before the completion of the new centre.

You might come in for some stick for making this kind of unsubstantiated allegation

You’d know all about unsubstantiated claims…

I mean that’s what it is…it’s not true and in fact, many CEOs are ‘removed’ once they’d secured or take on another role…the pettiness from some on here is hilarious though. I mean she’s already been more influential than the previous CEO…
Posted by: sam gy, January 25, 2022, 8:01am; Reply: 101
Quoted from pen penfras

Or it could be the fact that it’s not as black and white as just chucking a load more budget at it, and it’s not inconceivable to think that we were never going to walk the league at the first time of asking, with owners that have barely had a chance to get their feet under the table.

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 25, 2022, 8:13am; Reply: 102
Quoted from aldi_01

I mean she’s already been more influential than the previous CEO…

How?

Examples please ?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 25, 2022, 8:17am; Reply: 103
Quoted from sam gy

Or it could be the fact that it’s not as black and white as just chucking a load more budget at it, and it’s not inconceivable to think that we were never going to walk the league at the first time of asking, with owners that have barely had a chance to get their feet under the table.

I think that the frustration is that we did get to the top of the league and, for whatever reason, blew it in a raft of eminently winnable fixtures.

There was a mantra of building a squad (many have now gone), working with the fans and being transparent. That all seems to have gone.

Football is tough when you’re losing. God knows, we are more aware of that than most and many, many successful businessmen have tried and often failed to run a successful football club.

I’m not saying for a minute that our owners are failing or have failed but many of us have pretty decent memories of owners who have over promised and under delivered.

This is a big job, make no mistake, but continued occupation of mid table National League will have financial implications on the main income stream if it continues for long.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 25, 2022, 9:00am; Reply: 104

How?

Examples please ?

The only thing we ever saw of Fleming was his name on the published accounts.

Just to be clear, CEOs do more than make tea and jump as high as Mr Principle Funder tells them.
Posted by: chicaneuk, January 25, 2022, 9:41am; Reply: 105
Think it was a mistake for her to do that personally. I don't think senior management of the club should be, publicly, getting involved in petty squabbling like this. Fenty used to do it, and it was embarassing.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 25, 2022, 4:00pm; Reply: 106

How?

Examples please ?

surely before we do that, we have to establish the yardstick by which she is to be measured.
Perhaps , with your insider info/position you could let us know the major achievements of the previous incumbent?
Posted by: GrimPol, January 25, 2022, 4:23pm; Reply: 107
Just a bit unseemly that's all. Bromley gates average at 1.9k and had a Taxi full of supporters at BP, so a good result for them. I mean NO Mariner fan jumped around and hugged ecstatically the winning players at Liverpool, did they.
Why Ms Cook had to Tweet like a teenager is beyond me. She has always come over as a smart cool operator.
Is she frazzling at the edges with our predicament? Hmmmmm
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 25, 2022, 4:43pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from GrimPol
Just a bit unseemly that's all. Bromley gates average at 1.9k and had a Taxi full of supporters at BP, so a good result for them. I mean NO Mariner fan jumped around and hugged ecstatically the winning players at Liverpool, did they.
Why Ms Cook had to Tweet like a teenager is beyond me. She has always come over as a smart cool operator.
Is she frazzling at the edges with our predicament? Hmmmmm

Not sure how comparing knocking out Liverpool (Cup holders?) at Anfield and beating Grimsby a team below Bromley in the league compares much... One thing is for sure I am sure the Grimsby footballers didn't jesture to the Liverpool Supporters at full time.. :-/
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 25, 2022, 4:54pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from MarshMariner

Not sure how comparing knocking out Liverpool (Cup holders?) at Anfield and beating Grimsby a team below Bromley in the league compares much... One thing is for sure I am sure the Grimsby footballers didn't jesture to the Liverpool Supporters at full time.. :-/

I agree.

I don't have a problem with our CEO stating her view and especially given how outspoken this Woodman chap has been this season, and considering how badly his staff and players have behaved during and after each fixture.

People keep referring to the result and results matter but how you behave surely matters too.

Woodman falls into the Steve Evans category of managers.  Not a compliment.

Posted by: Teestogreen, January 25, 2022, 5:41pm; Reply: 110
CEO contract - at what point can you publicly give your personal thoughts on work related issues??
Just putting it out there.
My answer - you don’t (but the contract may say otherwise? - you never know)
Posted by: GrimPol, January 25, 2022, 7:21pm; Reply: 111
In my defence, I'm not saying it's on parr, what I'm saying is people are elated when they win, we are begging to forget that.
In fact, you should be pleased that some teams rate Grimsby highly to make such a fuss, we should grin and bear it (all be it with gritted teeth). We are where we are through no fault of Bromley. Twittering isn't going to help to get us out of Div 5.

Posted by: Fillipe Noche, January 28, 2022, 6:35am; Reply: 112
Politics now then.

She says that the club is not a political space, but she’s still attending meet and greet events at Docks Beers with political leaders. And during hours of work.

Surely there is some pressing football business she could be doing. Does a CEO of a football club really have any interest in discussing levelling up with party leaders of Labour whose manifesto doesn’t even include levelling up? How does levelling up benefit or adversely involve a local football club?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 28, 2022, 6:42am; Reply: 113
Politics now then.

She says that the club is not a political space, but she’s still attending meet and greet events at Docks Beers with political leaders. And during hours of work.

Surely there is some pressing football business she could be doing. Does a CEO of a football club really have any interest in discussing levelling up with party leaders of Labour whose manifesto doesn’t even include levelling up? How does levelling up benefit or adversely involve a local football club?

Oh do bore off with your agenda it's getting tedious now!!..what part of meeting the labour leader as our CEO, discussing "levelling up" doesn't have a part to play in GFTC?..The club is a community asset and should be involved in all things Grimsby,!..
Posted by: forza ivano, January 28, 2022, 6:58am; Reply: 114
Politics now then.

after a couple of semi-sensible posts you're back to your normal shite self ,i see.
i suspect that the CEO would've been amongst a number of local business leaders to attend the event, which was held on the premises of one of our sponsors/suppliers (and a close supporter of the club)

far better that she meets the leader of the Opposition than what happened under the old regime that you apparently hold so dear

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/live-nigel-farage-visits-grimsby-3537843

Nuff said i think
Posted by: aldi_01, January 28, 2022, 7:33am; Reply: 115
Politics now then.

Under the old regime the idiot in charge allowed a political party to host an event at the ground. Our previous owner was a Tory councillor, he literally couldn’t have been more political…

And you’re quick to pick up the current CEO claiming that she should have footballing things to sort out…what on earth did Fleming do other than be at the club ages?

Your agenda is tiring, you semi redeem yourself then this nonsense appears…
Posted by: It Bites, January 28, 2022, 7:42am; Reply: 116
Politics now then.

Define Bullying

Fenty 😂😂😂😂😂😂

FF was right about you all
Posted by: ska face, January 28, 2022, 7:48am; Reply: 117
Politics now then.

What manifesto?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 28, 2022, 9:00am; Reply: 118
I think it's great that the club have had a representative at this meeting but I don't think the club should be dishing out merchandise to political figures.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 28, 2022, 9:05am; Reply: 119
its a flipping bobble hat
so what

anyway, give everything to labour, id rather have a flipping crayon as our Local MP than Lia Nici
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 28, 2022, 9:23am; Reply: 120
Quoted from Hagrid
its a flipping bobble hat
so what

anyway, give everything to labour, id rather have a flipping crayon as our Local MP than Lia Nici

No need to resort to swear words in your response but I suppose you don't mind seeing Boris going for a run in his bobble hat? After all it's only a bobble hat...

Like I said in my post; great that the club was represented at this meeting but we really don't need to see major politicians wearing GTFC bobble hats. Just because he's Labour leader and that's who you will vote for next time doesn't make it ok.
Posted by: Withnail, January 28, 2022, 9:48am; Reply: 121
Quoted from jamesgtfc

No need to resort to swear words in your response but I suppose you don't mind seeing Boris going for a run in his bobble hat? After all it's only a bobble hat...

Like I said in my post; great that the club was represented at this meeting but we really don't need to see major politicians wearing GTFC bobble hats. Just because he's Labour leader and that's who you will vote for next time doesn't make it ok.

Fear not. Sir Keir wouldn't be seen dead in a Grimsby Town bobble hat. He'd be teased mercilessly by his north London liberal elite friends if he did. Oh, and because he supports Arsenal.
Posted by: Withnail, January 28, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 122
As for Bozza wearing one...I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 28, 2022, 10:51am; Reply: 123
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I just think its a lot of hooha about nothing to be honest

A regular idiot on twitter GTFCJacko is trying to stir it all up
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 28, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 124
Quoted from Hagrid

The attention seekers really don't help my opinion throwing names like Prince Andrew and Ian Huntley around as the next recipients of gifts. Like I said, attending the meeting is 100% the right thing to do and has my full support.

If Vickers wants to go for a stroll down the seafront or into Westminster wearing a GTFC bobble hat and supping out of a GTFC flask I don't have a problem with it (providing he's paid for them); the guy lives locally and turns up to watch our games but I just don't like seeing merchandise dished out to high profile politicians with no affiliation to the town.

Going off topic here but it will be interesting to see how Labour go about fighting for the Great Grimsby seat. Will Melanie Onn get another chance? I'm a strong believer that an MP should live in or very close to the area they represent so hope it's a strong local candidate and Melanie Onn would get my full support. I think the performance of her replacement highlights what a good job she did in the circumstances.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 28, 2022, 11:19am; Reply: 125
Quoted from jamesgtfc

The attention seekers really don't help my opinion throwing names like Prince Andrew and Ian Huntley around as the next recipients of gifts. Like I said, attending the meeting is 100% the right thing to do and has my full support.

If Vickers wants to go for a stroll down the seafront or into Westminster wearing a GTFC bobble hat and supping out of a GTFC flask I don't have a problem with it (providing he's paid for them); the guy lives locally and turns up to watch our games but I just don't like seeing merchandise dished out to high profile politicians with no affiliation to the town.

Going off topic here but it will be interesting to see how Labour go about fighting for the Great Grimsby seat. Will Melanie Onn get another chance? I'm a strong believer that an MP should live in or very close to the area they represent so hope it's a strong local candidate and Melanie Onn would get my full support. I think the performance of her replacement highlights what a good job she did in the circumstances.

If Labour dont target this seat they need there heads testing, Nici is- from social media- extremely unpopular and if Labour can put forward a strong candidate for Grimsby, they will certainly have my vote
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 28, 2022, 11:29am; Reply: 126
Quoted from Hagrid

If Labour dont target this seat they need there heads testing, Nici is- from social media- extremely unpopular and if Labour can put forward a strong candidate for Grimsby, they will certainly have my vote

Social media is not representative.

She was voted in with a huge swing and large majority because the Grimsby public wanted a Conservative government to ensure the referendum result was respected.

The next General election will be fought on other issues so we will just have to see the result of that.

Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2022, 11:38am; Reply: 127
Back to footy please chaps.  :-/
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 28, 2022, 12:22pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Hagrid

Trust me, you'll have a much better time on twitter if you just block him instead of reading any of the drivel he serves up.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 28, 2022, 1:07pm; Reply: 129
We can't keep football out of politics unfortunately. The two are linked in so many ways.

JS and AP (and DC) want to make this town great again, and they see GTFC as a brilliant vehicle to help them do this. There aren't many community assets that bring people of different backgrounds (and political persuasions) together like a local football club.

Footballers going into the community, being seen, being humble, being accessible, being part of the fabric of the town, gives younger people (with free tickets to the odd game) the chance to raise their aspirations, aim higher, etc.

We (collective term) want everyone in Grimsby, Cleethorpes and the surrounding towns and villages, the chance to do the jobs they want to do, and live in the homes they want to live. It's about giving people chances, and that starts by giving them hope.

So the work the club does in the community - whether that's visiting a fish factory, visiting schools or (god forbid) listening to politicians who want to help raise the aspirations of young people in the town - is vitally important, and the club should be part of those conversations.

Had Lia Nici set up that 'levelling up' meeting to discuss exactly the same thing, I'm sure DC would've attended. The fact that Nici hasn't done anything of the sort is a reflection of her, and her party, and not the club's fault.

I know we haven't won in a while but honestly we really should know better than to knock those who are genuinely trying their best on behalf of everyone.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 28, 2022, 1:37pm; Reply: 130
:D
Quoted from RichMariner
We can't keep football out of politics unfortunately. The two are linked in so many ways.

Absolutely. No problem with discussion on here about politics that involve  GTFC. Or any other team.
Farage at BP. Borris getting a GTFC hat. What effect either party wound have on GTFC. All debatable subjects in this footy section.  Unfortunately it always goes off at a tangent (from both sides) and can up as just a political slanging match. There’s plenty of sites out there for that debate.
That’s all I’m trying to get across.

Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 11:32am