Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 22, 2022, 10:30pm
So we have given the coveted No 9 shirt to someone who is a wide player who appears destined to frustrate . A message from Hurst to those crying out for a goal scorer that we aren’t going to get one ?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 22, 2022, 10:33pm; Reply: 1
What does a shirt number mean? And when I started watching Town the number 9 shirt was worn by a midfielder (Paul Groves) and the strikers wore 10 & 11.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 22, 2022, 10:50pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from HerveJosse
So we have given the coveted No 9 shirt to someone who is a wide player who appears destined to frustrate . A message from Hurst to those crying out for a goal scorer that we aren’t going to get one ?

Ossie Ardiles wasn’t much cop between the sticks either in his number 1 jersey
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 22, 2022, 11:02pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from HerveJosse

Watching how he played today, you might as well have given me the no. 9 shirt.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 23, 2022, 8:10pm; Reply: 4
Did he smile at any point during the game ?
Posted by: paramariner, January 23, 2022, 8:28pm; Reply: 5
For God's sake give the bloke a chance. He's had just 2 day's training with players he doesn't know combined with poor performances of some if not most of his teammates.  The fact that he was playing out wide probably didn't help.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 23, 2022, 8:36pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from paramariner
For God's sake give the bloke a chance. He's had just 2 day's training with players he doesn't know combined with poor performances of some if not most of his teammates.  The fact that he was playing out wide probably didn't help.

Unless he hasn't played or trained in while and if he hasn't why the frig are we signing someone who isn't fit, I would have expected a bit more effort wherever he was playing.

Hopefully he does better.
Posted by: RobDef1, January 23, 2022, 8:42pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from arryarryarry

Unless he hasn't played or trained in while and if he hasn't why the frig are we signing someone who isn't fit, I would have expected a bit more effort wherever he was playing.

Don't think the post you quoted mentioned his fitness? They stated that he'd had 2 days training with players he doesn't know yet, that isn't saying he is unfit at all. And surely you're not questioning his effort yesterday?
Posted by: HerveJosse, January 23, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from paramariner

If you watch the extensive video clips of his career to date on the earlier thread you will see that where and how he plays was constient with where and how he played yesterday.Hurst repeatedly made the point that if we signed a proper number 9 it would mean we.couldn’t play the existing system with Taylor etc so  
to take the pressure off that demand his answer appears to be to sign a wide player and give him the No 9 shirt.
Posted by: marinerjase, January 23, 2022, 8:48pm; Reply: 9
He could have been played in twice yesterday and was ignored..the one chance he did get he snatched at (understandably) .
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 23, 2022, 10:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from arryarryarry

He chased the ball down n got the cross in that created the goal for JMD!..How much effort do you want!..the lads got pace, he's physical and has a nice touch....quietly impressed by him myself
Posted by: DB, January 24, 2022, 5:17am; Reply: 11
The No 9 shirt has been worn by the main striker for Town since I watched Ron Rafferty in it. Other non strikers have worn it but it remains the strikers shirt at Town.

Hirst is probably pe-ed of with the question of when is he going to sign a striker having the shirt empty for half a season. The result is the next forward player got the No 9 to stop the questions.

End of problem for Hurst but he still hasn't signed a proper No 9.
Posted by: bedders78, January 24, 2022, 9:17am; Reply: 12
Quoted from DB
End of problem for Hurst but he still hasn't signed a proper No 9.

Apart from Taylor

Posted by: ska face, January 24, 2022, 9:28am; Reply: 13
Quoted from marinerjase
He could have been played in twice yesterday and was ignored..the one chance he did get he snatched at (understandably) .

Exactly. That one late in the second half when Amos decided to try & beat two centre halves on his weaker foot rather that slide one to Abrahams who would’ve been 1-on-1 with the keeper was a big moment. Don’t think he did too bad myself, bit in & out but probably expected with 2 days’ training and most of the play coming down our right.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 24, 2022, 12:24pm; Reply: 14
The inability of our players to cut the ball back from the touchline on Saturday was blood vessel bursting.  Trying shots from the tightest of angles that the 'keeper has got covered when players are lining up for pretty much an open goal.

I get it that you don't get the finished article at this level but surely through the countless hours of training and development they develop enough awareness to look up and assess options, at least every now and then?
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 2:11am