Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BPMariner, January 20, 2022, 10:51am
is a striker at Carlisle United, scored 4 goals in 27 appearances.

Just saying
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2022, 11:09am; Reply: 1
BPMariner - doesn't post very often, but...

https://forum.thefishy.co.uk/Blah.pl?m-1642030033//id-1531012#id1531012
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2022, 11:14am; Reply: 2
Looks like he was at Newport with DLK.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 3
a name ive heard of.

maybe a Lenny type player?
Posted by: ska face, January 20, 2022, 11:22am; Reply: 4
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Looks like he was at Newport with DLK.

Played up top with Taylor at Newport last season too, before going to Orient.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 20, 2022, 11:30am; Reply: 5
Seen him a few times, good player, Jamille Matt like??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEutb6OASyY
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 20, 2022, 11:40am; Reply: 6
Slightly worrying that as a striker, he has never scored more than 4 league goals in any season he has played in.

Even LJL bagged 4 last season and how bad is he!!!!!!!

He score 3 in 15 games on loan at Yeovil, 4 in 33 and 4 in 23 with Newport, and currently on 3 in 20 for Carlisle.

Hardly the prolific goalscorer that everyone is screaming out for.

Plus the fact that he is a regular in Carlisles first team this season probably means there would be a fee involved and/or  unlikely to move to a mid-table National League team.
Posted by: Maringer, January 20, 2022, 11:42am; Reply: 7
Sounds like an athletic kind of guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57473083

I like to see the words pace, power and strength to describe strikers, even if his scoring record isn't brilliant. Could still do well at a slightly lower level.

If he only signed a 2 year deal in the summer, you'd have to assume he hasn't settled up in the north-west which is a long way from home for him.
Posted by: ska face, January 20, 2022, 11:43am; Reply: 8
Slightly worrying that as a striker, he has never scored more than 4 league goals in any season he has played in.

Even LJL bagged 4 last season and how bad is he!!!!!!!

He score 3 in 15 games on loan at Yeovil, 4 in 33 and 4 in 23 with Newport, and currently on 3 in 20 for Carlisle.

Hardly the prolific goalscorer that everyone is screaming out for.

Plus the fact that he is a regular in Carlisles first team this season probably means there would be a fee involved and/or  unlikely to move to a mid-table National League team.

He got 8 in 20/21, and 10 in 19/20. Are you ok?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2022, 11:47am; Reply: 9
Quoted from Maringer
Sounds like an athletic kind of guy:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57473083

I like to see the words pace, power and strength to describe strikers, even if his scoring record isn't brilliant. Could still do well at a slightly lower level.

If he only signed a 2 year deal in the summer, you'd have to assume he hasn't settled up in the north-west which is a long way from home for him.

Only the 4 hour commute from Lewisham to Cheapside. Hopefully he has a better back than Martin Butler.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 20, 2022, 11:55am; Reply: 10
I like the sound of this one!

Just turned 23
played over 150 games above our level
Posted by: Kris2, January 20, 2022, 11:56am; Reply: 11
Seems like a strong player who can hold the ball up well but does he have what we need? Quite tall and lanky too reminds me of some of the players Woking had with these giant legs that seem to always dig the ball away from people lol. He's a young lad though so maybe dropping down a level will bring out his best. Seems to have done well in cup games where he scored a few.
Posted by: RobDef1, January 20, 2022, 12:02pm; Reply: 12
Would be happy with this one, seems to have that endeavour that we need chasing stuff down. Looks strong too. What was Amonds scoring record before coming here? Those highlights look good to me  :)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2022, 12:04pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I like the sound of this one!

Just turned 23
played over 150 games above our level

I don't expect him to come in and score loads of goals. If he does then great but with a front 4 of Sousa, JMD, McAtee and Taylor, it's hard to get someone else into that team.

But, physically he looks like a similar option to Taylor so will hopefully mean we always have an effective presence up there to compliment the 3 behind them.
Posted by: acko338, January 20, 2022, 12:05pm; Reply: 14
Whether he is on the radar or not, that is the powerful and mobile forward that could fit in with how we play.

It's as important to create chances as to score them, and he looks quick enough to be a six yard box poacher.

In the video, it shows that he tends to have 2 markers doubling up on him, but in most cases, he either evades them or lays off well to a teammate in space. We have players who could thrive from that type of player.

However, this is all conjecture, if he doesn't fit into Hurst's radar, salary, location, current contract, and would he want to travel across to the ""far East".

Without being brutally cruel to The Shop, this is what is needed from an extra forward, whoever it may turn out to be in the end !
Posted by: Zmariner, January 20, 2022, 12:10pm; Reply: 15
Athletic, holds the ball up ,able to run the channels. Exactly what we need. There are a few players who can score goals in our team but I think often there isn’t a comfortable ball out of defence for the willing and able runner. Lenny in his first spell was good at this but not now
Utm
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2022, 12:11pm; Reply: 16
Has a goal scoring record that can best be described as ‘patchy’. Scored 7 in 8 at the start of last season, then only 2 in his next 35. 3 in 7 at the beginning of this season, but then only 1 since - albeit a lot of appearances from the bench.

Still, looks to have a good pedigree in League Two and was a regular in a decent Newport side. More prolific than Taylor too, and I think most would agree he’s been a successful signing. 10 years younger as well - Abrahams only turned 23 three weeks ago.

On balance, I’d be relatively pleased with this.
Posted by: Poojah, January 20, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 17
Looks like a work horse with a decent touch.

https://youtu.be/eEutb6OASyY
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 18
Ok but is he joining us?
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 20, 2022, 12:20pm; Reply: 19
He's been a handful whenever I've seen him. Direct replacement for Lenny and not the #9 we'd still be after though. Chesterfield and Wrexham are looking at bring in Vadaine Oliver and Harry Cardwell respectively. Abrahams is comfortably a better option than both of them in my opinion.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Son of Cod
He's been a handful whenever I've seen him. Direct replacement for Lenny and not the #9 we'd still be after though. Chesterfield and Wrexham are looking at bring in Vadaine Oliver and Harry Cardwell respectively. Abrahams is comfortably a better option than both of them in my opinion.

No slant on Abrahams but not sure i agree with you here

Vadaine Oliver has scored 23 in 60 for League 1 Strugglers Gillingham. He's a very very good player
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 12:45pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid

Vadaine Oliver has scored 23 in 60 for League 1 Strugglers Gillingham. He's a very very good player

And Cardwell has Just Signed for Southend
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 20, 2022, 12:47pm; Reply: 22
Looking at his show-reel, I would have him any day in my team.  He is tall, strong and agile, has good dribbling skills, and forces defenders off the ball.  What's more he doesn't shirk his defending duties, he chases back and hassles his opponent.  
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 20, 2022, 12:52pm; Reply: 23
Good player would be a decent signing that.. notice he seems to have fallen out of Carlisle first 11 last few weeks and only managed to play the full 90 mins once this season..
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 20, 2022, 1:34pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Hagrid

Not sure if you're going solely off stats there or having seen him play, because Oliver is an absolute clogger. He's done well for Gillingham yep but I'd imagine they're playing very direct as any time he's played in a side that doesn't play like that he's struggled. Perhaps that's what Parkinson is gonna do at Wrexham. Might come round to bite me on the arse, but from what I've seen over past seasons I'd have Abrahams over Oliver any day of the week.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 20, 2022, 1:36pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Hagrid

And Cardwell has Just Signed for Southend

Ah right, was heavily linked with Chesterfield last week. Good news for Chesterfield, I don't think Cardwell is good enough for a promotion race at our level. Does everything okay, but nothing particularly well.
Posted by: petethemariner, January 20, 2022, 1:43pm; Reply: 26
Don't forget Harry's only goal for us - that ferocious two footer against Northampton!
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 2:04pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Son of Cod

Ah right, was heavily linked with Chesterfield last week. Good news for Chesterfield, I don't think Cardwell is good enough for a promotion race at our level. Does everything okay, but nothing particularly well.

oh i agree completely about Cardwell, never showed anything really for us
Posted by: TAGG, January 20, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Hagrid
a name ive heard of.

maybe a Lenny type player?

We have two Lenny type players.
Lenny and Taylor
Why would we want another???
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 3:04pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from TAGG

Lenny and Taylor

no idea! i've not seen the guy play and we know Hursty likes a big centre forward

i'd also say Lenny and Taylor arent that alike
Posted by: RichMariner, January 20, 2022, 3:09pm; Reply: 30
Well, I remember us signing Ollie Palmer on loan from Mansfield in the January of the 14/15 season. He joined Lenny up top and we had a great end to the season.

Perhaps Lenny was a little more mobile back then, but he's never been blessed with pace. Doubt Palmer was ever that fast either. But the two of them worked their backsides off. They made the ball stick in the final third and they bullied the opposing centre backs (who we know can be absolute brutes at this level).

Yet I don't remember anyone claiming we played long ball at that time, with two big strikers up top. We didn't play like Barcelona either, but now, as it was then, football under Hurst was a mix. His teams are capable of passing it about but also not afraid to go more direct.

The important thing is that we have options. Two big lads up front doesn't concern me. We've got pace out wide, and a bit of skill through the likes of McAtee and potentially Burgess.

Palmer only scored 2 in 21 games for Mansfield in the first half of that season, by the way. He then scored 8 in 16 for us.
Posted by: Maringer, January 20, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from TAGG

Lenny and Taylor

Taylor is not an LJL-style player. LJL was always about busting a gut, putting himself around and doing his best to disrupt the opposition defence with his pace and running. It's why he's no longer as effective as he doesn't have the pace or stamina following many injuries since his last spell (plus a bit of ageing thrown in). Taylor is a classical target man who uses intelligent movement, positioning and nous to hold up the ball and link up play with his teammates. And very good at it he is as well. He's never relied on being quick to do his job, so if he has lost half a yard of pace, it's not so important.

This Abrahams lad might be able to provide the pace and bustle that LJL once could. If there's one thing 5th tier defenders hate, it is pace. Most defenders do, for that matter, as there aren't many Des Walker/Kyle Walker types around who are quick enough to nullify the fastest attacker.
Posted by: Maringer, January 20, 2022, 3:18pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from RichMariner
Perhaps Lenny was a little more mobile back then, but he's never been blessed with pace. Doubt Palmer was ever that fast either. But the two of them worked their backsides off. They made the ball stick in the final third and they bullied the opposing centre backs (who we know can be absolute brutes at this level).

You remember LJL differently to me. He was quick - not amazingly so, but definitely quicker than most of the central defenders and full-backs he faced. He also used to absolutely run himself into the ground every game. It's why, despite his lack of goalscoring prowess, he's spent most of his career playing in the Football League.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 20, 2022, 3:34pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Maringer

Taylor is not an LJL-style player. LJL was always about busting a gut, putting himself around and doing his best to disrupt the opposition defence with his pace and running. It's why he's no longer as effective as he doesn't have the pace or stamina following many injuries since his last spell (plus a bit of ageing thrown in). Taylor is a classical target man who uses intelligent movement, positioning and nous to hold up the ball and link up play with his teammates. And very good at it he is as well. He's never relied on being quick to do his job, so if he has lost half a yard of pace, it's not so important.

This Abrahams lad might be able to provide the pace and bustle that LJL once could. If there's one thing 5th tier defenders hate, it is pace. Most defenders do, for that matter, as there aren't many Des Walker/Kyle Walker types around who are quick enough to nullify the fastest attacker.

Absolutely bang on. Taylor is more of a Gary Jones than a Lenny if anything.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2022, 3:38pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from TAGG

Lenny and Taylor

I wouldn’t put Taylor anywhere near the same type of player as Lenny.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 20, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TAGG

Lenny and Taylor

Never in a million years would I have thought that these two players were similar in any way.
Posted by: smokey111, January 20, 2022, 3:56pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from arryarryarry

Never in a million years would I have thought that these two players were similar in any way.

I know we all have opinions but this and the Efete comment amaze me!
Posted by: smokey111, January 20, 2022, 3:57pm; Reply: 37
Not your input arry, the original one.
Posted by: Mariner56, January 20, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 38
RH have confirmed we're interested in this lad and there may be someone going out on loan

https://twitter.com/HumbersideSport/status/1484179099970981898?s=20
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 20, 2022, 4:00pm; Reply: 39
I think we'll be looking to someone with some physicality who can provide proper competition to Taylor or have an impact off the bench or replace him if he's injured. We'renot going to play McAtee behind Taylor and another striker are we? Seems unlikely and think Abraham at 6' 1"and pacy would fit the bill.
Posted by: TAGG, January 20, 2022, 4:09pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Maringer

They are exactly the same, the difference is Taylor is far superior to Lewis at holding the ball and playing in others.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 20, 2022, 4:14pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from ska face

He got 8 in 20/21, and 10 in 19/20. Are you ok?

Im absolutely fine thanks for asking.

He scored those numbers in all competitions, but I specifically said league goals.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 20, 2022, 4:21pm; Reply: 42
[tweet][/tweet]
Quoted from smokey111
Not your input arry, the original one.

I did wonder 😄
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 20, 2022, 4:22pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from TAGG

They are exactly the same, the difference is Taylor is far superior to Lewis at holding the ball and playing in others.

So not the same then?
Posted by: BenBB, January 20, 2022, 5:49pm; Reply: 44
[tweet]1484220509420236804[/tweet]

Guessing this is the pre-announcement...
Posted by: BenBB, January 20, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 45
[tweet]1484223328172843021[/tweet]

All but confirmed!
Posted by: BenBB, January 20, 2022, 6:02pm; Reply: 46
[tweet]1484224254375772160[/tweet]

CONFIRMED!
Posted by: acko338, January 20, 2022, 6:10pm; Reply: 47
Welcome to Tristan - if you play anything like your video reel content, you will be cheered loudly by really enthusiastic fans.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2022, 6:19pm; Reply: 48
Looks promising and just what's needed in non league. Bit of pace and power to ruffle centre backs. Young too, so scope to get better.

Welcome Tristan.
Posted by: RobDef1, January 20, 2022, 6:22pm; Reply: 49
Happy with this. Does giving him the number 9 shirt imply he may stay permanently if he does well?
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 20, 2022, 6:28pm; Reply: 50
He'll probably get more goals at this level, and looks good all round
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 20, 2022, 6:34pm; Reply: 51
Think we need to calm down. We have a young striker. He may be the answer but at least we do have an answer.

Plenty of time to get into playoffs yet. Once in, it’s a lottery.

Still likely the two sides going up will come from Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham
Happy to be proved wrong…..
Posted by: lukeo, January 20, 2022, 6:35pm; Reply: 52
I've always rated him, hope he does well for us. UTM
Posted by: pen penfras, January 20, 2022, 6:59pm; Reply: 53
Where are these signings for the future? We've sent a load of half-decent loanees back with the statement that we're building for the future and will be doing business differently, and then replaced them with more of the same.

How on earth we're supposed to compete with double figure player turnover twice a season is beyond me.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 20, 2022, 7:00pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from pen penfras
Where are these signings for the future? We've sent a load of half-decent loanees back with the statement that we're building for the future and will be doing business differently, and then replaced them with more of the same.

How on earth we're supposed to compete with double figure player turnover twice a season is beyond me.

We havent sent any back.

Half decent? Revan?

You just cant help yourself can you
Posted by: smokey111, January 20, 2022, 7:01pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Think we need to calm down. We have a young striker. He may be the answer but at least we do have an answer.

Plenty of time to get into playoffs yet. Once in, it’s a lottery.

Still likely the two sides going up will come from Chesterfield, Stockport, Wrexham
Happy to be proved wrong…..

Putting your neck on the line there.....
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 20, 2022, 7:05pm; Reply: 56
Potentially a good signing this.

Interesting to see that tshitmanga or whatever he’s called, is on a few teams radar, most notably hearts
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 20, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from pen penfras

Not sure how you can say anything has been half-decent (Revan and Bapaga), our form has has been off a cliff in the last few months.. perhaps just perhaps we maybe loaning them with the possibility of signing them IF thinks work for both parties, this of course may backfire if they don't sign, but we get to try before we buy..

You can't force players to sign, but a good finish to the season may help.  :)
Posted by: Wiley2405, January 20, 2022, 7:12pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Potentially a good signing this.

Interesting to see that tshitmanga or whatever he’s called, is on a few teams radar, most notably hearts

One Premiership club and a host of championship clubs reportedly also.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 20, 2022, 7:16pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from pen penfras

Really?..are you on crack?...
We've had 5 loanees recalled, signed 2 more and signed 2 permanents...so not replaced like for like at all!..
Posted by: nightrider, January 20, 2022, 7:23pm; Reply: 60
Good signing. Fingers crossed it works out
Hope he's direct and has a go. It's not as if he won't get chances
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2022, 7:48pm; Reply: 61
I think Abrahams is a good addition to the squad but again it's only someone that is here until May despite being told this window was about next season. I get that actually doing it is easier said than done but we have a frightening number of players out of contract come May.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 20, 2022, 8:03pm; Reply: 62
Played wide of a front 3 a lot as well as through the middle? I bet Taylor is made up because 90 minutes Saturday Tuesday is probably a stretch
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 20, 2022, 8:07pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from jamesgtfc
I think Abrahams is a good addition to the squad but again it's only someone that is here until May despite being told this window was about next season. I get that actually doing it is easier said than done but we have a frightening number of players out of contract come May.

I am sure every player we wish to keep will be offered a new deal, up to them if they want to stay and if not we move on. I like the majority of fans would like a settled side but I also accept it’s not that easy at present to recruit players given most EFL clubs are carrying slightly larger squads than normal because of the COVID risk.

Also, if we were suddenly to hit a great run of form, and get promoted through the play offs perhaps some of the current players may not be wanted at the higher level.

Let’s wait and see what happens by the end of the window and also remember we can still recruit players once it closes for EFL clubs.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2022, 8:43pm; Reply: 64
Thought people would be glad we are not chucking around 2 and 3 year deals for dross like Jackson Jr and that other one who's name escapes me. Could make a list a mile long of players we have been stuck with who were given contracts that were too long and we ended up with them hanging around like a bad smell.

Most of those on short term deals will be looking to win a contract, if not here, then somewhere else, so should be busting a gut to impress.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2022, 8:49pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from ginnywings
Thought people would be glad we are not chucking around 2 and 3 year deals for dross like Jackson Jr and that other one who's name escapes me. Could make a list a mile long of players we have been stuck with who were given contracts that were too long and we ended up with them hanging around like a bad smell.

Most of those on short term deals will be looking to win a contract, if not here, then somewhere else, so should be busting a gut to impress.

I get that but why did Andrew Pettit point to the signing of Maguire-Drew as proof that our January business will be about getting players in who are under contract for next season?

A short-term deal is great if they turn out rubbish but if they impress, they might have more attractive offers in the summer so we don't keep them. I understand that it's difficult to achieve and I think all 4 of our signings this month will be good additions. It's just a little concerning how many players we have under contract for next season.

Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2022, 9:02pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I get that but why did Andrew Pettit point to the signing of Maguire-Drew as proof that our January business will be about getting players in who are under contract for next season?

A short-term deal is great if they turn out rubbish but if they impress, they might have more attractive offers in the summer so we don't keep them. I understand that it's difficult to achieve and I think all 4 of our signings this month will be good additions. It's just a little concerning how many players we have under contract for next season.

Perhaps he has other targets lined up for the summer? We needed bodies in to bolster the squad for this season and JMD was seen as a definite one for the longer term, but the others are on a try before you buy kind of deal.

I think the board wanted to move away from loan deals as much as anything.

Some of the squad have 1 year extensions I believe and some of the others will probably sign new deals, but there will be plenty of options available in the summer.

I think the transfer market is a bit strange at the moment due to covid.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 67
We needed a striker we have a striker, not sure what people expect but this looks ok to me.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 20, 2022, 9:09pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from ginnywings

I believe that several on one year deals have got options to extend.
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 20, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 69
I think this is as good a striker signing as we could of hoped.
People talking about signing another loan signing but Tristan is clearly out of favour at Carlisle. If he proves his worth here we can look to sign him permanently, Carlisle can command a fee as he's a year left on his contract and both teams win.
We don't have a quarter of million to throw at a striker and teams in this window seem reluctant to part with players in case COVID hits their squad.
On Abraham's himself he adds what we don't have up front power, pace and skill.
If he plays well enough could dislodge Taylor up top with Mcatee with JMD and Sousa/Wright providing from wide.
Creative midfielder and we are looking good.

Utm
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2022, 9:21pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I believe that several on one year deals have got options to extend.

Yeah, I alluded that in an earlier post.

Not had a look at the contracts for a while, but you have confirmed what I thought.
Posted by: lukeo, January 20, 2022, 9:49pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from pen penfras

He could well be on a loan to buy deal. Whereas the others weren't ever available to us after the loans end.
Posted by: acko338, January 20, 2022, 10:23pm; Reply: 72
We wanted a No 9 - we've now got one !!

Give the lad a break and give him a fair chance to settle in, train and offer his playing abilities into our team and system.

This could give Taylor the proper rest periods to recover... and I can't see The Shop getting into the regular 16 after this new signing.
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 20, 2022, 10:48pm; Reply: 73
Having watched his YouTube vid for last year, to me he looks like he will be very frustrating to watch on the pitch. He seems to want to fannyabout with the ball too much and not release the ball at the best opportunity. Sure, all of those times seen in the video are the times he 'got away with it' but I hate to think how many times it didn't come off.

Yes, he looks half decent but I'm not going to get over excited just yet. But I certainly hope he proves me wrong. Very wrong
Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 20, 2022, 11:40pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from pen penfras

nothing to see here
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 21, 2022, 7:40am; Reply: 75
Reminds me a bit of Keith Alexander uni his style of play
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 21, 2022, 8:47am; Reply: 76
Another signing ready made with the Grimsby s
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 21, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 77
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Another signing ready made with the Grimsby s

Is it our first Tristan?
Posted by: Croxton, January 21, 2022, 10:02am; Reply: 78
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Is it our first Tristan?

If Carlisle want a fee the headline could be ' Tristan is solde'

Coat already on.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, January 21, 2022, 11:02am; Reply: 79
I see a lot of negativity about Abrahams goals record, but I remember last time he was at the club Hurst signed a striker with a less than impressive goals record.., Damian Spencer and he was rubbish.
Posted by: davmariner, January 21, 2022, 12:27pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I see a lot of negativity about Abrahams goals record, but I remember last time he was at the club Hurst signed a striker with a less than impressive goals record.., Damian Spencer and he was rubbish.

When you’re at a club for that amount of time you’re not going to get every signing right. Just because Alex Ferguson signed Bebe doesn’t make him excrement at signing players or a bad manager.
Posted by: Kris2, January 21, 2022, 12:50pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from davmariner

When you’re at a club for that amount of time you’re not going to get every signing right. Just because Alex Ferguson signed Bebe doesn’t make him excrement at signing players or a bad manager.

Alan Buckley handed over 2 year deals to Matt Heywood (if Tommy Forecast didn't exist I think Heywood is the worst player we ever had, super slow with the turning circle of a HGV) and Richard Hope...  ;D, Also Jamie Clarke and Gary Montgomery a guy who when given the opportunity to play in the first team said he doesn't have the confidence to play then quit football to do cricket. Oh he also dropped Peter Bore the season after he finished joint top scorer in his debut season in the first team then never played him as a striker again....

Oh he also signed Paul Raven and Michael Jeffrey in his last window before leaving the second time. Jeffrey couldn't even get a game for Kilmarnock or score goals there, played on trial and looked crap in friendly games....Was actually crap.

All managers make bad signings, even the ones we remember as heroes of the club.
Posted by: ska face, January 21, 2022, 12:59pm; Reply: 82
McAtee managed 2 in 32 last season.

Ryan Taylor managed 0 (zero) in 37 in 18/19, then 5 in 55 over the following two seasons.

Given that Abrahams has over 130 L2 appearances already having only just turned 23, I’d say he’s definitely got something about him.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 21, 2022, 1:24pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from ska face
McAtee managed 2 in 32 last season.

Ryan Taylor managed 0 (zero) in 37 in 18/19, then 5 in 55 over the following two seasons.

Given that Abrahams has over 130 L2 appearances already having only just turned 23, I’d say he’s definitely got something about him.

Spot on
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 21, 2022, 1:31pm; Reply: 84
There is more to a strikers game than simply scoring goals. Look at the work Taylor gets through in a game which helps others score for example.
Posted by: Saudimariner, January 21, 2022, 2:05pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Croxton

If Carlisle want a fee the headline could be ' Tristan is solde'

Coat already on.

A little Wagnerian humour there....

If they also had a player called Sieg, he could go on a free transfer, so it would be " Tristan is solde, Sieg freed"

Pass me my coat as well......
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 21, 2022, 3:58pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Saudimariner

A little Wagnerian humour there....

If they also had a player called Sieg, he could go on a free transfer, so it would be " Tristan is solde, Sieg freed"

Pass me my coat as well......

Lets hope Tristan can hit a cows rse, rather than put his arm up it...
Posted by: BrMarin, January 21, 2022, 5:21pm; Reply: 87

Lets hope Tristan can hit a cows rse, rather than put his arm up it...

One for the kids 🤣🤣🤣
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, January 21, 2022, 5:46pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from BrMarin

One for the kids 🤣🤣🤣

And a little veterinary (or rather vitnry)  reference for those of us old enough to remember All Creatures Great and Small (and lusting after the young Carol Drinkwater)...

Posted by: Saudimariner, January 21, 2022, 6:52pm; Reply: 89

And a little veterinary (or rather vitnry)  reference for those of us old enough to remember All Creatures Great and Small (and lusting after the young Carol Drinkwater)...

Wasn't that "All Creatures Grunt and Smell"?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 21, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from GollyGTFC

But if an odd anecdote, but I was once in the changing room at Oasis Health Club and Damien Spencer walks through out the shower and dries himself right in front of me and I’m sat down taking off my shoes… it was like my bloody arm!!! I’d show that off too to be fair to him though!

I also once say a naked Paul Hurst in the changing room away at Welling while I was waiting to interview the newly-signed Josh Gowling. Quite why he needed to shower I don’t know but he wasn’t fussed at all that the changing room door was wide open.

I do have non-tackle related anecdotes too lol, and I don’t seek naked Town players out, I realise that this comes across as ever so slightly creepy on my part but is all innocent I can assure you lol
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 21, 2022, 9:05pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

But if an odd anecdote, but I was once in the changing room at Oasis Health Club and Damien Spencer walks through out the shower and dries himself right in front of me and I’m sat down taking off my shoes… it was like my bloody arm!!! I’d show that off too to be fair to him though!

I also once say a naked Paul Hurst in the changing room away at Welling while I was waiting to interview the newly-signed Josh Gowling. Quite why he needed to shower I don’t know but he wasn’t fussed at all that the changing room door was wide open.

I do have non-tackle related anecdotes too lol, and I don’t seek naked Town players out, I realise that this comes across as ever so slightly creepy on my part but is all innocent I can assure you lol

Was Hurst going full sudocrem like Neil Warnock?
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 21, 2022, 10:27pm; Reply: 92
I'm quite excited by Abrahams - he looks like a beast and I suspect he'll do alright.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 22, 2022, 7:52am; Reply: 93
I’d suspect that LJL may have featured in his last appearances for town.
Posted by: Neilo83, January 22, 2022, 10:30am; Reply: 94
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I’d suspect that LJL may have featured in his last appearances for town.

Let’s hope so.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 22, 2022, 10:37am; Reply: 95
Quoted from Neilo83

Let’s hope so.

No real need for that

Lenny’s a good pro and he’s never given anything less than 100% for us
Posted by: acko338, January 22, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 96
Unfortunately, Lenny's skill levels and shot accuracy will limit his chances now. His age is also going to go against him, as Taylor seems to have grabbed the senior forward spot, with more goals in the locker as well.

Taylor needs just one game per week to stay fit and available, so I feel that this new younger signing will be given more game time in front of Lenny.

If Tristran can get a good partnership and understanding of positioning as Taylor had managed with McAtee, and all 3 stay fit, then the season run in should be worth watching !!
Posted by: rancido, January 22, 2022, 12:55pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from acko338
Unfortunately, Lenny's skill levels and shot accuracy will limit his chances now. His age is also going to go against him, as Taylor seems to have grabbed the senior forward spot, with more goals in the locker as well.

Taylor needs just one game per week to stay fit and available, so I feel that this new younger signing will be given more game time in front of Lenny.

If Tristran can get a good partnership and understanding of positioning as Taylor had managed with McAtee, and all 3 stay fit, then the season run in should be worth watching !!

I agree about Lenny. FWIW I think Hurst signed him when he felt he had to bolster a poor squad with known ( to him ) players.  He probably had a good idea of what he was getting from when they worked together before but time has taken it's toll on him , like all footballers. I think Hurst has realised that Lenny hasn't met his expectations of him and I could easily see him leaving in the summer.  
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:33pm