Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 16, 2022, 11:27am
Including yesterday we have 5 home games out of the next 7.  Then we play 2 struggling teams;  Southend and Dover away.  Most are very winnable games.

Home games against Wealdstone, Aldershot and Kings Lynn look very good for us, on paper at least.

At the other end of the spectrum we have 3 challenging games;  Bromley at home and Wrexham and Notts County away.

The team can push on now and hopefully climb the table.  We have McAtee back, Wright back and new players (and other arrivals probably) to continue the revival evident yesterday.  

Things look much better than during our long losing spell.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 16, 2022, 11:42am; Reply: 1
Just checked.  We play 6 of the bottom 8 teams by the end of Feb.
Posted by: Mariner_09, January 16, 2022, 11:50am; Reply: 2
If we do now click into some sort of form, we know the side is capable of much better than what we saw prior to yesterday, then we'll find ourselves rocketing up the table as we'll be beating sides directly above us. One small thing is, despite deservedly winning yesterday, it took two moments of absolute quality to beat a really rubbish side. Hursty spoke about how we get ourselves into so many good positions and we need to be faster and more clinical to fashion better opportunities and score more goals. Hopefully, that comes with increasing confidence.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 16, 2022, 12:02pm; Reply: 3
Win our home games and start picking up some points on the road and we can still be in play offs. Winning them is going to be really tough unless you finish 2nd or 3rd which feels a stretch but if you're in you've got a chance.
Posted by: mimma, January 16, 2022, 2:58pm; Reply: 4
It's confidence that is holding us back, but by winning the confidence returns and we will start to play like we did at the start of the season.
Posted by: lukeo, January 16, 2022, 4:55pm; Reply: 5
Win all the home games. Try snatch the odd point away from home. UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, January 16, 2022, 5:11pm; Reply: 6
Bromley have a pretty similar record to us and are one of the teams we need to rein in if we're to get back into the play off spots. Don't think we need fear anyone at BP, but we could do with getting our away form on the up.
Posted by: gtfc_chris, January 16, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 7
I think avoiding defeat against Bromley, Wrexham would be considered positive. Notts County could be the pivotal game. With the support we're likely to take and - hopefully - on the back of a short unbeaten run, if we can get a win there I reckon that could be the springboard to pull a good winning run together in February.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 16, 2022, 8:57pm; Reply: 8
Boring I know, but it’s important to focus on each game as it comes. There’s no doubt that we have a favourable run of fixtures ahead but we still need squad additions, players back from injury and a good amount of good fortune. Let’s be the twelfth man and see where it gets us.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 16, 2022, 9:32pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from lukeo
Win all the home games. Try snatch the odd point away from home. UTM

If we're good enough to win every home game then we're definitely better than "the odd point" away. I reckon at least half the away games we should expect to win! I'd settle for "the odd point" against the top 10 away. We need to average somewhere a bit under 2 points a game for the rest of the season I reckon.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 16, 2022, 9:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from gtfc_chris
I think avoiding defeat against Bromley, Wrexham would be considered positive. Notts County could be the pivotal game. With the support we're likely to take and - hopefully - on the back of a short unbeaten run, if we can get a win there I reckon that could be the springboard to pull a good winning run together in February.

Personally I want to see us trounce Bromley and I want Hurst fist pumping in front of their bench. His team talk is done for that one already, the players shouldn't need any motive to be up for it.
Posted by: DB, January 17, 2022, 3:03am; Reply: 11
Looking at the next 9 games 7 of them should be wins, especially the home games. The away at Notts County and Wrexham could reap 4 points between them or 2 points at least. So for me a minimum of 23 points and a secure place in the playoffs.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2022, 3:24am; Reply: 12
Quoted from DB
Looking at the next 9 games 7 of them should be wins, especially the home games. The away at Notts County and Wrexham could reap 4 points between them or 2 points at least. So for me a minimum of 23 points and a secure place in the playoffs.

If only it were that simple.
Posted by: DB, January 17, 2022, 5:06am; Reply: 13
Quoted from ginnywings

If only it were that simple.

You know me, optimistic and positive now our blip is out of the way. ;) ;)

Posted by: gtfc_chris, January 17, 2022, 10:32am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Son of Cod

Personally I want to see us trounce Bromley and I want Hurst fist pumping in front of their bench. His team talk is done for that one already, the players shouldn't need any motive to be up for it.

I'd love to see it but given that one game doesn't constitute a turnaround of fortunes I'd settle for a point against a team performing well this year. Any kind of win against them you'd think would give the players another confidence boost going into the Wrexham game.
Posted by: chaos33, January 17, 2022, 11:55am; Reply: 15
I’d take winning the home games and drawing the away.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 17, 2022, 3:00pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33
I’d take winning the home games and drawing the away.

We have only dropped 8 points at home season (Halifax, Chesterfield & Notts County), two of those games we lost in the last few minutes, our problem has been on the road, only won three games and drawn two taking a possible of 8 points from 33. Just 2 more away wins would have us right in the mix, rather than just outside the play-offs.

Out of the 10 top we and Dagenham heve lost the most games (8), on the plus side we have drawn the least (3) along with Dagenham.

So we need to keep up the home form, while improving the away form and not drawing too many.

It was not a loss of form, that has us in this position, you don't just go form free scoring leaders, to a bunch that could not score in a brothel, what ever was the problem, lets hope Saturday's win over Altrincham kicks starts our season.

Onwards and upwards.

UTM
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 1:54pm