Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 12, 2022, 7:35am
So with these two now fit for several weeks but not match fit, the question for me is why hasn't Hurst made them available for short term loans.

If he'd done that a month ago these two would be back ready to slot straight in (or would have broken down again potentially but would that be any different to the lack of minutes they get anway).

With no reserve games I really can't understand the thinking here.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 12, 2022, 7:52am; Reply: 1
He clearly doesnt fancy them for whatever reason.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 12, 2022, 9:43am; Reply: 2
Prediction: Whenever Grant leaves GTFC he will have played in exactly 0 matches for Town
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2022, 9:46am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Hagrid
He clearly doesnt fancy them for whatever reason.

I’m struggling to see why Hurst kept Scannell on if he’s not prepared to play him.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, January 12, 2022, 9:53am; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza
Prediction: Whenever Grant leaves GTFC he will have played in exactly 0 matches for Town

Apart from coming on as substitute last night and against Kiddy in the cup.  

Posted by: bobbyturtle, January 12, 2022, 9:56am; Reply: 5
Scannel's shirt has had more minutes them him this season!
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 12, 2022, 11:10am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
So with these two now fit for several weeks but not match fit, the question for me is why hasn't Hurst made them available for short term loans.

If he'd done that a month ago these two would be back ready to slot straight in (or would have broken down again potentially but would that be any different to the lack of minutes they get anway).

With no reserve games I really can't understand the thinking here.

I don't get why the lack of reserves league is the main excuse here. Arrange a game against Grimsby Borough, Barton, Brigg, Cleethorpes, loads of teams locally that would play us surely...supplement the lineup with youth players if needs be. Do whatever you can to get some minutes into the Grant, Wright and Scannell. If they aren't capable of playing they need to have their contracts terminated. We've been crying out for other options out wide and for a proper #9 all season and we've got three senior players all on decent wages I'd imagine that have amassed a total of 119 minutes in the league (107 of them being Wright's) between the them. We're dropping so many points in close matches some of which would almost certainly be avoided with other attacking options. We've lost 5 games by single goal margins and drawn 3. Carrying all three of these players could well end up costing us a playoff spot. For me, Wright has at least delivered in the time he's come on the pitch so keep him and bin the other two off.

The new owners keep talking about wanting to build a squad for the future and the desire to focus on permanent signings. That works on ins and outs surely? We should be looking at anyone we definitely don't want in next year's squad and getting those replaced in this window.

I'll reiterate, 12 minutes of football in the league from Scannell and Grant combined. Two of our top earners I'd imagine.
Posted by: Poojah, January 12, 2022, 11:11am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Apart from coming on as substitute last night and against Kiddy in the cup.  

Grant was definitely on the pitch last night, but not sure his 15 minute cameo constitutes having “played”. Genuine question, did he touch the ball or even get within 5 yards of it?
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 12, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 8
Watching the reserves last week albeit against a very young opposition thought Scannell looked fitter than Grant was surprised to see him involved last night.

Both have been a waste of wages and along with Rose we've certainly not had value for money.. recruitment is key.
Posted by: Tinymariner, January 12, 2022, 12:16pm; Reply: 9
Brilliant, we are losing our loan players and now 'fans' decide to slag off the players that remain! We have no idea why they are not getting the chances to play, that is down to PH. Lets leave him to it, he knows why and I am sure he has his reasons.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 12, 2022, 12:18pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Poojah

Grant was definitely on the pitch last night, but not sure his 15 minute cameo constitutes having “played”. Genuine question, did he touch the ball or even get within 5 yards of it?

i said this on the just back thread. he did not touch the ball
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 12, 2022, 12:39pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’m struggling to see why Hurst kept Scannell.

Amended it for you ;)
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 12, 2022, 2:12pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Tinymariner
Brilliant, we are losing our loan players and now 'fans' decide to slag off the players that remain! We have no idea why they are not getting the chances to play, that is down to PH. Lets leave him to it, he knows why and I am sure he has his reasons.

It's not slagging them off to present facts. People on here often ask questions about how Borehamwood/Bromley/Halifax are above us in the league and beating us in matches. Well for starters, they'll have had more than 10 minutes worth of football out of their top earners halfway through the season.
Posted by: lukeo, January 12, 2022, 2:16pm; Reply: 13
They may well be made available for short term loans.. Doesn't mean anyone has to take them from us on them.
Posted by: quebec38, January 12, 2022, 2:38pm; Reply: 14
I assumed Scannell was just unlucky last night. Centre half and full back, winger, captain and a forward of sorts in Grant all on the bench. We can only have 5 on there.

Hurst obviously likes Scannell and thinks enough of him to have stuck by him when many wouldn’t. That was all pointless if he isn’t going to now give him chance. He may as well have been at home making hats from tin foil with Rose otherwise.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 12, 2022, 2:48pm; Reply: 15
Scannell probably pull a hammy putting his shorts on.
Posted by: chaos33, January 12, 2022, 3:41pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from quebec38
I assumed Scannell was just unlucky last night. Centre half and full back, winger, captain and a forward of sorts in Grant all on the bench. We can only have 5 on there.

Hurst obviously likes Scannell and thinks enough of him to have stuck by him when many wouldn’t. That was all pointless if he isn’t going to now give him chance. He may as well have been at home making hats from tin foil with Rose otherwise.

Scannell could well be playing full back on Saturday!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 12, 2022, 3:48pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from chaos33

Scannell could well be playing full back on Saturday!

Don’t you mean left back

On the Physio’s table
Posted by: ginnywings, January 12, 2022, 5:08pm; Reply: 18
Having watched Scannell and Grant play for the reserves last week, I wouldn't have thought Grant would make the squad over Scannell.

Grant looked a bit laboured to me, but then I don't know what his style of play is like normally. Mind you, I don't think any of us know that. Perhaps he's just one of those signings that didn't work out and he will be gone in the summer.
Posted by: Garth, January 12, 2022, 9:47pm; Reply: 19
Put them to work in the club shop, more use in there than on the bench
Posted by: moosey_club, January 12, 2022, 11:16pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Tinymariner

No disrespect Tiny but wouldn't refer to either as "players", Scannell been here for what seems like ages and has hardly bothered the first team and Grant just made his "league debut" in January despite signing in July (?).....and as far as we can tell didn't even touch the ball in his debut.

Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2022, 12:22am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Garth
Put them to work in the club shop, more use in there than on the bench

That's a bit harsh. Scannell would probably pull his hamstring walking for one end of the counter to the other.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 13, 2022, 6:11am; Reply: 22
I appreciate and understand that simply having a dig at players isn’t entirely helpful, nor the manager but where Grant and Scannell are concerned, they appear to be wage stealers.

I appreciate they’ve been injured which isn’t anyones fault but even when fit they’re clearly not putting too much of a shift in. May be there’s more to it that we’re not privy to but it’s getting very frustrating.

When Grant came in on Tuesday he looked like someone who’d won a prize. I’m not sure he touched the ball, he ran a bit but not really sure that was the impact anyone was expecting…
Posted by: Abdul19, January 13, 2022, 9:48am; Reply: 23
Grant was like a new signing when he came on the other day. The new James Lawson.
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 10:11am; Reply: 24
Does Grant deserve a little time/few games in order to get up to speed before he’s judged?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 13, 2022, 10:33am; Reply: 25
Quoted from chaos33
Does Grant deserve a little time/few games in order to get up to speed before he’s judged?

He's experienced enough to know that if he's not being given the ball and we are 1-0 down then he needs to go and get it.

Both him and Scannell must take up a significant chunk of the budget, yet here we are in the middle of January and they haven't played 5 games between them.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 13, 2022, 11:01am; Reply: 26
As I said, for me, when Grant came on he looked like someone had won a prize…I’m not entirely convinced he worked hard enough to win the ball, and he certainly had little impact. Perhaps further games may help but in truth, I won’t hold my breath.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 28, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 27
Not in Hursts plan apparently
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, January 28, 2022, 10:17pm; Reply: 28

Hurst has a plan ???????

What is it ?

Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 28, 2022, 10:23pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Hurst has a plan ???????

What is it ?

To tax unnecessary question marks
Posted by: davmariner, January 28, 2022, 10:27pm; Reply: 30

He fecking signed him. And has barely played him!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 29, 2022, 10:59am; Reply: 31
he didn't sign scannell, but he was about the only one of the crazed Nutter's signings that he did keep.
i was told, and i admit i didn't quite understand it, that Scannell was on such a good whack that Hurst can't afford to play him
I presume that means that he has got some sort of extravagant pay per play deal and Hurst just doesn't think he's worth it. As i said i didn't understand the rationale ,so it may be complete bollox! 8)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 29, 2022, 11:07am; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano
he didn't sign scannell, but he was about the only one of the crazed Nutter's signings that he did keep.
i was told, and i admit i didn't quite understand it, that Scannell was on such a good whack that Hurst can't afford to play him
I presume that means that he has got some sort of extravagant pay per play deal and Hurst just doesn't think he's worth it. As i said i didn't understand the rationale ,so it may be complete bollox! 8)

My theory is that Scannell will fail a fitness test so it's less embarrassing for all parties that we keep him here.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 29, 2022, 11:25am; Reply: 33
I’ve seen Scannell ‘warm up’ several times or have one of those fitness test things before games…lazy and laboured.

If he was a race horse they’d have pulled the curtains round by now…

There’s obviously a reason they both haven’t been binned off but neither bring anything to the table…
Posted by: Wiley2405, January 29, 2022, 11:41am; Reply: 34
Disappointed about Grant, wasn’t it the Argyle fans shocked that he dropped down to the National League as he was immense for them? Thought we were going to have a right player on our hands.
Posted by: out of town, January 29, 2022, 12:05pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Wiley2405
Disappointed about Grant, wasn’t it the Argyle fans shocked that he dropped down to the National League as he was immense for them? Thought we were going to have a right player on our hands.

Same, he was the player I was most looking forward to seeing at the start of the season!
Posted by: Hagrid, January 29, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 36
admittedly was only for 15 minutes but he came on away at halifax ( grant) and looked like he'd won a competition to play
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 29, 2022, 12:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Hagrid
admittedly was only for 15 minutes but he came on away at halifax ( grant) and looked like he'd won a competition to play

The last player I remember looking similar for us was Louis Robles. I did see Sisay play for Cleethorpes Town last season and he looked like a competition winner 3 levels below the level he was being employed at.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 29, 2022, 1:40pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Hagrid

I said this at the time…he offered absolutely nothing and match fit or not, an alleged experienced player should know to go and try and get the ball. He literally ran around like he’d won a raffle.

flipping woeful. They’ve clearly not been binned off for a reason but neither bring anything to the table…
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 29, 2022, 2:35pm; Reply: 39
Literally a week ago Hirst said "you can't just carry people for the sake of it" when addressing DLK exit and whether it left us light in that area.

Scannel gotta be up there as one of the most woeful value signings of all time.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 10:52pm