Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: thefish, January 10, 2022, 12:49pm
Pictures of today’s training at Sheffield Wednesday show Alex Hunt training with them.

I’m not sure what this means for his future at Town, but I’d suggest it’s not good.

He’d be a big loss.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, January 10, 2022, 12:55pm; Reply: 1
That's a shame if he's gone back. If coke isn't fit from going off last week that just leaves 2 fit centre midfielders. Certainly abit shirt in that area.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 10, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 2
He's playing for the U23's, not ideal!
Posted by: ska face, January 10, 2022, 1:08pm; Reply: 3
This after Moore said he wanted him to stay here?

Doesn’t bode well for my blood pressure this.
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 10, 2022, 1:10pm; Reply: 4
If theres one thing every Grimsby fan can agree on regardless of your thoughts on PH it’s that he does tend to get good loanees in. Whilst this is a huge blow, I’m confident we’ll have a decent replacement loanee through the door.
Posted by: chaos33, January 10, 2022, 1:20pm; Reply: 5
If he’s gone back and this was our choice, I’d say this is a huge mistake.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 10, 2022, 1:24pm; Reply: 6
The only midfielder we have that plays forward well
The others are honest , grafting players but we need more guile. Coke has looked off the pace to me this season, after looking decent last season and I would be disappointed to see him as a first choice
Utm
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 10, 2022, 1:41pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Zmariner
The only midfielder we have that plays forward well
The others are honest , grafting players but we need more guile. Coke has looked off the pace to me this season, after looking decent last season and I would be disappointed to see him as a first choice
Utm

I think we're slowly starting to see how much of an influence Jay Matete had on Giles Cokes apparent good form last season
Posted by: mariner91, January 10, 2022, 1:54pm; Reply: 8
Coke has been so far off the pace he might as well not be playing. Other than Chesterfield where he did okay I don’t think he’s had a positive influence on a match all season.

If Hunt has gone it’s a real blow because as someone said, he’s the only one capable of playing quick and incisive forward passes from the middle of the pitch.
Posted by: Sigone, January 10, 2022, 2:00pm; Reply: 9
Assuming Coke is still injured for tomorrow, allows McAtee to come in..change formation back to our usual 4-2-3-1..Khouri or Spokes as sub..they have to be tried at some point or else whats the point in them being here.
Posted by: davmariner, January 10, 2022, 2:01pm; Reply: 10
Not overly @rsed. He blew hot and cold. Done very little since September. We do need urgent reinforcements in midfield.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 10, 2022, 2:06pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from davmariner
Not overly @rsed. He blew hot and cold. Done very little since September. We do need urgent reinforcements in midfield.

He's a young player that hasn't played much first team football so he's going to blow hot and cold but we noticeably had more purpose following the injury to Coke last week.
Posted by: davmariner, January 10, 2022, 2:23pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc

He's a young player that hasn't played much first team football so he's going to blow hot and cold but we noticeably had more purpose following the injury to Coke last week.

He did but we shouldn’t limit ourselves to simply ‘better than Coke’. We need to improve the midfield but relying on young inconsistent loan players isn’t the answer.
Posted by: Mariner16, January 10, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 13
He's scored 2 for them and assisted one so far. One a decent free kick.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 10, 2022, 2:25pm; Reply: 14
Nothing has been confirmed yet has it?
Posted by: Croxton, January 10, 2022, 2:25pm; Reply: 15
Hunt 'equalises with a cracking finish from outside the box'.  SWFC Twitter.

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/307565-swfc-under-23s-play-today-behind-closed-doors/
Posted by: Poojah, January 10, 2022, 2:27pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Nothing has been confirmed yet has it?

No. I’d have thought there would be a presser this afternoon, but either way it’s hard to see him playing for their u23s this afternoon and again tomorrow night at Halifax.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 10, 2022, 2:39pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from davmariner

He did but we shouldn’t limit ourselves to simply ‘better than Coke’. We need to improve the midfield but relying on young inconsistent loan players isn’t the answer.

It's all about continuous improvement and if Hurst identifies someone who can be here longer than this season that is better than Hunt, I'm fully supportive of that.

Going to be really blunt here but assuming that's the last we've seen of Hunt in black and white, I expect Khouri and Spokes to leave if they can't force their way into the midfield now.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 10, 2022, 2:42pm; Reply: 18
We have lost a number of players recently.  We desperately need some new faces in.  
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 10, 2022, 2:55pm; Reply: 19
At least we could move Clifton back inside and bring Mcatee back in the team. Does concern me though that with Coke injured would only really leave us with Spokes as cover
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 10, 2022, 3:16pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from davmariner

That’s the whole team
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, January 10, 2022, 3:18pm; Reply: 21
On the BBC site Sheffield Wed say that all 3 of their loanees have returned to their parent club.  They had hoped that Hunt and another player could continue with their loan.  Reported that Grimsby were happy with his progress.

No reason given then for his recall.  Covid not mentioned.  Strange.  
Posted by: acko338, January 10, 2022, 3:19pm; Reply: 22
Hunt will have been playing for his future contract today.

Who knows if that isn't a behind the scenes pre arranged match set up with their loanees returning, so that Moore can see them and how they are adapting?

Under 23 level is not against the normal League opponents.

No one will want injury to stop their season, especially if their contract ends in May.

Let's wait for an official announcement !

Has Hurst been invited there looking at others who may be available?

Moore has publicly stated he wants Hunt to stay here so anything could be possible !

Another "close to his chest day" for our manager, maybe??
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 10, 2022, 3:20pm; Reply: 23
Seems a suggestion on Twitter that Wednesday have changed the financial arrangements for the loan that we're not happy with and Hurst says unlikely he will be back. Also being reported by Humberside that we have tried to sign him permanently.
Posted by: oochiad, January 10, 2022, 3:27pm; Reply: 24
Hunt has returned.
Posted by: Simon, January 10, 2022, 3:28pm; Reply: 25
Just put his value up he's now scored two
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 10, 2022, 3:29pm; Reply: 26
Disappointed, I thought he was quality. One of the best passers of this ball at this level, I don't think we used him as well as we could have done at times. He sat in front of the defence a lot when we played away from home, he's much more effective the further up he gets. I don't think he got enough credit for winning the ball back at times too.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 10, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Ashby mariner
That's a shame if he's gone back. If coke isn't fit from going off last week that just leaves 2 fit centre midfielders. Certainly abit shirt in that area.

Whether Coke is fit or not fit we are still a bit excrement in that area.
Posted by: Croxton, January 10, 2022, 4:13pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Son of Cod
Disappointed, I thought he was quality. One of the best passers of this ball at this level, I don't think we used him as well as we could have done at times. He sat in front of the defence a lot when we played away from home, he's much more effective the further up he gets. I don't think he got enough credit for winning the ball back at times too.

Bang on. The way he linked with Clifton and McAtee at Altrincham was excellent. Liked his style right from preseason Chesterfield game.

Kinda rubs it in that he has done so well today only half a mile from my house!
Posted by: ginnywings, January 10, 2022, 4:19pm; Reply: 29
Hurst said in a recent interview that he was "looking to go in a different direction" or words to that effect. Perhaps the club want to sign our own players or promote the young players we already have, but I would imagine with all the loanees going back to their parent clubs that we have other options lined up. I hope so anyway.

However, Hunt may be different to the other loanees in that we wanted to keep him here but couldn't strike the right deal.

Shame, as he's a very good player and will only get better with time. I also think that should Wednesday decide not to offer him a new contract, he could easily find one above our level. Any league 2 club would take him I would have thought.

Not really fussed about all the other loanees going back, but losing Hunt is a blow.
Posted by: rancido, January 10, 2022, 5:21pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Seems a suggestion on Twitter that Wednesday have changed the financial arrangements for the loan that we're not happy with and Hurst says unlikely he will be back. Also being reported by Humberside that we have tried to sign him permanently.

And of course Twitter is such an accurate source of information ! I seem to remember Donald Trump posting hundreds of "facts" on Twitter. I would rather wait to hear an official statement from either club.
Posted by: chaos33, January 10, 2022, 5:24pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from oochiad
Hunt has returned.

Has he? Source?
Posted by: Meza, January 10, 2022, 5:26pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from rancido

And of course Twitter is such an accurate source of information ! I seem to remember Donald Trump posting hundreds of "facts" on Twitter. I would rather wait to hear an official statement from either club.

it is, if you watch the pre-match with Matt Dean, PH mentions what Rodley has said.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 10, 2022, 5:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Sigone
Assuming Coke is still injured for tomorrow, allows McAtee to come in..change formation back to our usual 4-2-3-1..Khouri or Spokes as sub..they have to be tried at some point or else whats the point in them being here.

Spokes isn't good enough, end of.  Khouri realistically isn't either but I think he has maybe suffered from not having a dedicated position as such.
Hunt is a very decent player and gets the ball moving through the different thirds of the pitch very quickly.

If he doesn't return then again, like Towler, wish him all the best.  
Posted by: Poojah, January 10, 2022, 5:30pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings
Hurst said in a recent interview that he was "looking to go in a different direction" or words to that effect. Perhaps the club want to sign our own players or promote the young players we already have, but I would imagine with all the loanees going back to their parent clubs that we have other options lined up. I hope so anyway.

However, Hunt may be different to the other loanees in that we wanted to keep him here but couldn't strike the right deal.

Shame, as he's a very good player and will only get better with time. I also think that should Wednesday decide not to offer him a new contract, he could easily find one above our level. Any league 2 club would take him I would have thought.

Not really fussed about all the other loanees going back, but losing Hunt is a blow.

I think you might be right, and there may well be one eye on next season already. JS said on the podcast the other day that they want to move away from situations where you’re turning over the squad with 10+ signings every pre-season. That’s not what top teams do.

That said, this season is still ice as it stands and there’s still plenty of work to be done if we’re to give ourselves a chance of making the play-offs.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 10, 2022, 5:37pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido

I explained where the information had come from so people could decide how much faith to put in it. You also get huge amounts of accurate information via Twitter, including this by the sound of it, but you stick to your tin cans and a piece of string though.
Posted by: rancido, January 10, 2022, 5:48pm; Reply: 36

I explained where the information had come from so people could decide how much faith to put in it. You also get huge amounts of accurate information via Twitter, including this by the sound of it, but you stick to your tin cans and a piece of string though.

Oooooooh , no need to get so tetchy ! Why the insulting remark ? It may well be accurate but all I said was that  I would rather hear an official statement as Twitter CAN be a source of a lot of disinformation.  
Posted by: mimma, January 10, 2022, 5:50pm; Reply: 37
Perhaps this explains why he's gone back.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/grimsby-town-transfer-bids-hunt-6468867

Sounds like Hurst would have liked him to stay but Wednesday asked for more money that he thought would be better spent elsewhere
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 10, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from rancido
[/b]

Oooooooh , no need to get so tetchy ! Why the insulting remark ? It may well be accurate but all I said was that  I would rather hear an official statement as Twitter CAN be a source of a lot of disinformation.  

Why the insulting remark? Serious lack of self awareness here....Because of your snotty post after I'd shared some info I'd read which I thought would be of interest to others.
Posted by: chaos33, January 11, 2022, 12:30pm; Reply: 39
Fighting a losing battle Rodley
Posted by: rancido, January 11, 2022, 12:32pm; Reply: 40

Why the insulting remark? Serious lack of self awareness here....Because of your snotty post after I'd shared some info I'd read which I thought would be of interest to others.

Well I would have thought the reference to "tin cans and string" a tad insulting with an implication that I am not up to date with modern technology or media platforms. I would never have regarded my original post as "snotty" but maybe you are too sensitive and also lack "self awareness"?
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 11, 2022, 12:35pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from chaos33
Fighting a losing battle Rodley

Agree sadly this site is going the way of other social media sites,where a few self opinionated bigots can shout down everybody who has a varying opinion than them,it is a discussion forum for God's sake,adopt the Hegalian dialect ,thesis +antithesis= synthesis.
Posted by: chaos33, January 11, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 42
Love that reference to thesis - antithesis - synthesis. 🙂

Posted by: chaos33, January 11, 2022, 12:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from rancido

Well I would have thought the reference to "tin cans and string" a tad insulting with an implication that I am not up to date with modern technology or media platforms. I would never have regarded my original post as "snotty" but maybe you are too sensitive and also lack "self awareness"?

I thought it was snotty
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 11, 2022, 1:16pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from chaos33
Love that reference to thesis - antithesis - synthesis. 🙂

Well thank you Chaos.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 11, 2022, 2:04pm; Reply: 45
Interesting sub debate on this thread about Twitter, I seem to recall a couple of comments in commentary from JT and some good activity from Lloyd Griffith and Twitter helped expose Alex May.

Anyway on to the important stuff, shame about Hunt he's a good player and will be missed, as well as being a good footballer he seems to have confidence in his ability which I think is really important.

Feels like there's a lot to do to build a squad to deliver a credible ply off push.
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 11:10am; Reply: 46
https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesdays-alex-hunt-terms-revealed-after-grimsby-town-exit-league-two-club-notified-3522964
Posted by: pen penfras, January 13, 2022, 11:14am; Reply: 47
From what I understand, he's on less than £1k a week, significantly less than our sub goalkeeper, yet it's too expensive to keep one of out most influential players of the season.

It's Fenty all over again!
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2022, 11:16am; Reply: 48
Quoted from chaos33

Really unimpressed with this.
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 11:17am; Reply: 49
Quoted from chaos33

I don’t have all the facts admittedly (not least what his wages are), but on the surface that’s not a great look for the club.
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2022, 11:20am; Reply: 50
Quoted from pen penfras
From what I understand, he's on less than £1k a week, significantly less than our sub goalkeeper, yet it's too expensive to keep one of out most influential players of the season.

And where are any facts to substantiate his salary at Wednesday?
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 11:23am; Reply: 51
Really disappointing, but I can’t make a judgement on the unsubstantiated salary claim, particularly as it comes from a contributor I don’t particularly trust.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 13, 2022, 11:27am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Poojah

I don’t have all the facts admittedly (not least what his wages are), but on the surface that’s not a great look for the club.

For which club? Wednesday surely? It sounds very much like we were already paying part of Hunt's wage and now they want the full lot because he's doing well for us? Massive fuck off to The Wendies from me here. The arrangement in place was working for all parties and they've sacrificed that for a bit of penny pinching. While Hunt's wages might not be a massive amount for us, it'll be a mere drop in the ocean for a club that has the likes of Barry Bannan, Lee Gregory and Saido Berahino on its books.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2022, 11:31am; Reply: 53
Quoted from pen penfras

Change the f@cking record will you!!..when will you get it into your thick skull the new owners are nothing like that prat!..
Show me the proof he's on less than a £1k a week...a photocopied payslip should suffice!..
Posted by: barrattstandman, January 13, 2022, 11:35am; Reply: 54
Surely with 6 out we can afford to pay for Hunt for 5 months . Then still have enough for other signings . The fans need something to get them interested as it seems this season has been allowed to evaporate and everyone will only have next season to look forward to . Some may say paying more than others are earning isn't right but I'm not sure as their thought could be yes he's good and if he helps us to more wins then we all gain through win bonuses.
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 11:36am; Reply: 55
Quoted from Son of Cod

For which club? Wednesday surely? It sounds very much like we were already paying part of Hunt's wage and now they want the full lot because he's doing well for us? Massive fuck off to The Wendies from me here. The arrangement in place was working for all parties and they've sacrificed that for a bit of penny pinching. While Hunt's wages isn't a massive amount for us, it's a mere drop in the ocean for a club that has the likes of Barry Bannan, Lee Gregory and Saido Berahino on its books.

As I say, I don’t know the specific details or what was agreed up front, so it’s difficult to comment with real fervency.

But from the outside looking in, we’re talking about one of our most influential players this season at a time when we’re out of form and losing players like there’s no tomorrow. Given how far ahead of budget we’re almost certainly to be given early season attendances, I’d have thought we might be willing to take this on the chin for the greater good of the season.

But yeah, I don’t have all the facts so I’ll stop short of offering up any strong criticism.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2022, 11:37am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Son of Cod

For which club? Wednesday surely? It sounds very much like we were already paying part of Hunt's wage and now they want the full lot because he's doing well for us? Massive fuck off to The Wendies from me here. The arrangement in place was working for all parties and they've sacrificed that for a bit of penny pinching. While Hunt's wages isn't a massive amount for us, it's a mere drop in the ocean for a club that has the likes of Barry Bannan, Lee Gregory and Saido Berahino on its books.

Regardless of how much is his salary may or may not be why should we should drop to our knees and give SWFC what they want!..
It's called professional integrity, that's what we've shown here and I for one salute the club for that.
I'd love to know what we offered him as a package to sign for us permanently, if it was a wage increase, which I'd have expected it to be, that showed some kind of ambition by our board!..unlike the last set of numpties...
The only person to suffer is Alex Hunt though due to SW changing the TnCs of the loan arrangement in my eyes.  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 13, 2022, 11:40am; Reply: 57
Strange to criticize the owners on this one...

We don't know his wages, and maybe Hurst has a potential youngster in the lower league who we can get on a permanent deal.

Just strange to criticize people, without having any facts at all.
Sometimes fans thrive off negativity
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 13, 2022, 11:40am; Reply: 58
Yet I've seen reports that he's on well over treble that muted figure of less than £1k a week.  The point is that there's very few people who probably actually know what he's on, equally so it's not likely it includes anyone contributing to this forum.

Regardless of his wage and/or our contribution to it, if Wednesday have moved the goalposts on the previous arrangement I can understand Hurst's objection to that.  Equally so, he's Wednesday's asset so it's within their right and gift to demand a higher contribution right.  Even more so if there's other interest in him.  

All feels a bit of a game of brinkmanship really.  The fact that Moore is keen for him to stay here and Wednesday have circulated his availability to other clubs doesn't fill me with confidence that they're going to look to keep him beyond his current contract that expires in the summer.  By asking for 100% of his wages, they've perhaps gone beyond the point of seeing him as one for the future and someone they're keen to develop, otherwise they would be happy for him to simply get game time, especially at a club where's he's guaranteed a place in the squad if not the starting XI.

Looks to me like Wednesday are just trying to offload him and make a saving on his wages, as much of a drop in the ocean as they may be (which I don't think that will be the case, Wednesday are skint aren't they?).  Our options are we either cough up and pay the full whack of his wages or try and get him on a permanent deal and match his current contract as part of that.
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 11:43am; Reply: 59
Would be a great permanent signing in my opinion.
Posted by: Maringer, January 13, 2022, 11:47am; Reply: 60
Seems pretty obvious SWFC don't plan on keeping Hunt, so you can understand why they might want to avoid paying his wages if he's going to be on the way out. Publicity in the local media is to put pressure on us to either stump up the money to try and sign him/pay all his salary or negotiate a better deal for themselves. Oh, I suppose it could also help other clubs become aware that he's available to be taken on loan/permanently.

I suspect that pen penfras is spouting bullshite to try and agitate, as per usual.
Posted by: sam gy, January 13, 2022, 11:48am; Reply: 61
Quoted from barrattstandman
Surely with 6 out we can afford to pay for Hunt for 5 months . Then still have enough for other signings . The fans need something to get them interested as it seems this season has been allowed to evaporate and everyone will only have next season to look forward to . Some may say paying more than others are earning isn't right but I'm not sure as their thought could be yes he's good and if he helps us to more wins then we all gain through win bonuses.

I know what you're saying, and i do rate Hunt as a player, but at the end of the day we're talking about a player that has been in the squad for all of the matches during our bad run, apart from the last.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 13, 2022, 11:51am; Reply: 62
Quoted from Maringer
Seems pretty obvious SWFC don't plan on keeping Hunt, so you can understand why they might want to avoid paying his wages if he's going to be on the way out. Publicity in the local media is to put pressure on us to either stump up the money to try and sign him/pay all his salary or negotiate a better deal for themselves. Oh, I suppose it could also help other clubs become aware that he's available to be taken on loan/permanently.

I suspect that pen penfras is spouting bullshite to try and agitate, as per usual.[b][/b]

Worked for me then!!🤣
Posted by: Heswall Mariner, January 13, 2022, 12:01pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from pen penfras

Don't know what he's on - but if we had to pay 100% of his wages it may have taken him over our pay cap?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 64
It's hard to speculate without all the facts, but we did try to sign him permanently, so it's got to be down to either money, or his unwillingness to commit to us beyond this season, or maybe a mixture of the two.

If he is on a good wedge there, it wouldn't go down well with the senior pro's if he was brought in on more money than them, given his relative inexperience, so it could simply be down to squad harmony.

I don't know, I'm just speculating like everyone else, but it seems PH wanted to keep him and tried to keep him. It didn't happen for some reason, so we have to put that to bed and move on.
Posted by: acko338, January 13, 2022, 12:45pm; Reply: 65
Would a re-signing of Hunt in any format to season end break at what level other players are being paid?

Is there proof of his salary? Hurst must know to not want to pay it !

Would the player himself want to come back here?

Although he is not a giant in size, he appears to have good attacking in his locker, and his free kick and corner deliveries can be deadly.

Can we find an equal or better replacement?
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 12:49pm; Reply: 66
Football Manager has him earning £800 / week, so there you have it in absolute, cast iron fact. It also values him north of £600k, which is of course ludicrous.

Still, I can’t imagine a mid-table League One club paying their under-23s a great deal more than £1k a week. If they are then it just highlights how many light years we are away from that level.

https://sortitoutsi.net/football-manager-2022/person/29174933/alex-hunt
Posted by: Garth, January 13, 2022, 12:51pm; Reply: 67
Can't understand the reluctance to pay Hunt his true value, when we are throwing money down the drain on two players that rarely make the bench, where's the logic in that
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2022, 12:53pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from sam gy

I know what you're saying, and i do rate Hunt as a player, but at the end of the day we're talking about a player that has been in the squad for all of the matches during our bad run, apart from the last.

We are also talking about a dozen or more players being part of that bad run, do we get rid of them as well?
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 13, 2022, 12:57pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Change the f@cking record will you!!..when will you get it into your thick skull the new owners are nothing like that prat!..
Show me the proof he's on less than a £1k a week...a photocopied payslip should suffice!..

I have no idea what wages are paid these years but a young lad that has hardly touched their first team to be on over £52,000 a year? as John Moore would say "crikey"
Posted by: sam gy, January 13, 2022, 1:03pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from arryarryarry

We are also talking about a dozen or more players being part of that bad run, do we get rid of them as well?

No, not at all - but pretty much all of them are our own players, not players we're talking about signing.

Anyway, as stated i do rate him and i'd be very happy if he signed again....just not sure if it's worth allegedly breaking the wage structure or whatever for a player that isn't ours as some are suggesting and was more just playing devils advocate against the quote from another poster below...he was here, and he hasn't been helping us to more wins of late.

Quoted Text
Some may say paying more than others are earning isn't right but I'm not sure as their thought could be yes he's good and if he helps us to more wins then we all gain through win bonuses.
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2022, 1:10pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from chaos33
Would be a great permanent signing in my opinion.

I agree but do you think we could either afford him or that he would come here on a permanent deal when he is more than capable of playing at a higher level?
Posted by: pen penfras, January 13, 2022, 1:17pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from rancido

I agree but do you think we could either afford him or that he would come here on a permanent deal when he is more than capable of playing at a higher level?

Trying to permanently sign him seems a token gesture. Why would he come here when he's clearly good enough to play above and we're almost certainly going to be here next season. If we kept him on loan until his contract runs out and had a good run that he enjoyed playing in then maybe. But having lost so many, he'd be crazy to commit to 2-3 years of this.
Posted by: ska face, January 13, 2022, 1:17pm; Reply: 73
Worth remembering that Hunt signed this contract in 2019 when Wednesday were still a relatively high-spending Championship club, and he’d already appeared in their first team. Good chance he might be on a fair whack.
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido

No I think you’re right. Fully expect a L2 club to snap him up.
Posted by: Maringer, January 13, 2022, 1:58pm; Reply: 75
I suspect a contract to the end of the season is the best we could do if he was to re-sign for us (i.e. this would be his choice). If he's on 2 or 3 grand a week, which is quite feasible given he was at a good-sized Championship club when his contract was signed, I can understand why we might not want to take that amount on.

I'd be happy if he did sign, but he hasn't torn up any trees during our poor spell (not the only one), so I can see why we wouldn't want to break the bank for a short-term deal.

I agree that a League 2 club will probably sign him and he's certainly got the potential to develop into a good League 1 player in time. Not sure if he will quite make it any higher than that.
Posted by: wekeepdreaming, January 13, 2022, 2:17pm; Reply: 76
The club need to show some intent regarding signings . Been after this so called striker since the start of the season and still nothing. Fans patience will be wearing thin and that will be evident on the coming attendances.

We have crumbled from a great start to a team low on confidence and the season is becoming a dead squid.

All seems too relaxed from the manager and it’s reflecting on the players

We lack that quality to play that killer pass or create opportunities which other teams seem to have

If we can sneak into the playoffs I would certainly take that right now and then who knows in football but on the last 10 games I think we will finish mid table , is that acceptable only the chairman’s will dictate that decision

UTM
Posted by: psgmariner, January 13, 2022, 2:24pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from wekeepdreaming

We have crumbled from a great start to a team low on confidence and the season is becoming a dead squid.

UTM

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6UZLwP4V9FWHWDj8SF_M4KtYmyGCJFw1lWQ&usqp=CAU[/img]
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 2:33pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from psgmariner

[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6UZLwP4V9FWHWDj8SF_M4KtYmyGCJFw1lWQ&usqp=CAU[/img]

No need to be facetious, he clearly meant “damp squid”, a term with stems from the species’ strong dislike of becoming damp or even ever so slightly moist. They like to be dry or wet; no middle ground.

People should get to know their metaphors…
Posted by: pen penfras, January 13, 2022, 2:45pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Poojah

No need to be facetious, he clearly meant “damp squid”, a term with stems from the species’ strong dislike of becoming damp or even ever so slightly moist. They like to be dry or wet; no middle ground.

The saying is damp squib. Or are you being facetious with your reply too?
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 2:49pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from pen penfras

The saying is damp squib. Or are you being facetious with your reply too?

You don’t think my back story about the saying “damp squid” checks out?  ::)
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2022, 2:50pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Poojah

Well as I understand it and according to any reference I can find on the Internet he meant a " damp squib ". This was a firework that when wet or damp wouldn't work properly. And yes I do agree , people should get to know their metaphors !
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Poojah

You don’t think my back story about the saying “damp squid” checks out?  ::)

No !
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 2:51pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from rancido

Well as I understand it and according to any reference I can find on the Internet he meant a " damp squib ". This was a firework that when wet or damp wouldn't work properly. And yes I do agree , people should get to know their metaphors !

Christ almighty, you’re hard work, you lot… :-/
Posted by: Poojah, January 13, 2022, 2:53pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from rancido

No !

Ok, I’ll level with you. I knew the correct term was “damp squib”, and was indeed just being facetious. As Rob might say, apologies for the outrage…
Posted by: rancido, January 13, 2022, 3:01pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Poojah

Ok, I’ll level with you. I knew the correct term was “damp squib”, and was indeed just being facetious. As Rob might say, apologies for the outrage…

No problem but an emoji wink might have helped. I was surprised especially seeing as you posted it knowing the quality of your normal input. As demonstrated, some of the posters on this site don't know their metaphors or possibly don't even know what a metaphor is. They possibly think it is some obscure African antelope ?
Posted by: Bomhead, January 13, 2022, 3:17pm; Reply: 86
Alex Hunt earns£900 a week seems we can't afford that.Ben Fox £2500  a week no problems
Posted by: Garth, January 13, 2022, 3:26pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from rancido

No problem but an emoji wink might have helped. I was surprised especially seeing as you posted it knowing the quality of your normal input. As demonstrated, some of the posters on this site don't know their metaphors or possibly don't even know what a metaphor is. They possibly think it is some obscure African antelope ?

Were not without knowledge you know, anyone will tell you a metaphor is a small Indonesian rabbit
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 3:26pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from Poojah

Too good for ‘em mate. Give the advanced wit a break, and get stuck into some hysterical overreaction and relentless moaning.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 13, 2022, 3:50pm; Reply: 89
Moan MOAN Moan Moan MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN Moan MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN Moan MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN Moan MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN MOAN  :P
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), January 13, 2022, 4:01pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from Bomhead
Alex Hunt earns£900 a week seems we can't afford that.Ben Fox £2500  a week no problems

What is your source?

Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2022, 4:24pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from pen penfras

Trying to permanently sign him seems a token gesture. Why would he come here when he's clearly good enough to play above and we're almost certainly going to be here next season. If we kept him on loan until his contract runs out and had a good run that he enjoyed playing in then maybe. But having lost so many, he'd be crazy to commit to 2-3 years of this.

We did. His initial loan was until January and it seems we couldn't agree a new deal with Wednesday.

It may not have anything to do with what he earns. Perhaps we were prepared to keep him for the rest of the season on the old deal, but seeing as they wanted us to pay all of his wages (of which we don't know the amount) then we thought we may as well try and sign him permanently, which again, couldn't be brokered.

Hurst did say he was trying to bring in an attacking midfielder, so maybe we are looking more long term as is the remit of the board and decided that if there was no chance of getting Hunt beyond this season, we may as well turn our attention to a permanent solution now, not just for the rest of this season, but beyond.

Wednesday seem to be looking to get him off the books to me, so the player may have come to the conclusion that he might as well try his hand in league 2, seeing as there is interest in him from there.

You say us trying to sign him permanently was a token gesture, but you have no proof of that. You just come across as extremely bitter.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 13, 2022, 4:28pm; Reply: 92
Perhaps Sheff Wed want and think they can get a better deal either here or elsewhere by someone paying 100%.. Good business sense for them still plenty of the month left to do a deal..
Posted by: Bomhead, January 13, 2022, 5:38pm; Reply: 93
Wages can be found on Google at sheff we'd wages or gtfc wages
Posted by: davmariner, January 13, 2022, 5:42pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Bomhead
Wages can be found on Google at sheff we'd wages or gtfc wages

How do you know it’s accurate?
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 5:51pm; Reply: 95
Whatever the ins and outs were re Hunt, it's becoming clearer to see that for an experienced manager, Hurst is making a dog's dinner of this season. The playing side of the club appears completely out of control at the moment, on and off the pitch..
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2022, 6:09pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Bigdog
Whatever the ins and outs were re Hunt, it's becoming clearer to see that for an experienced manager, Hurst is making a dog's dinner of this season. The playing side of the club appears completely out of control at the moment, on and off the pitch..

Interesting point BigDog.  Do you think PH is limiting himself to certain characters?  what makes you think he's making a dogs dinner?  is it because 5 have left and no one has come in.  It looks like he is finding hard to sign players for whatever reason, maybe he is going to much of a higher level to sign players.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 7:29pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Meza

Interesting point BigDog.  Do you think PH is limiting himself to certain characters?  what makes you think he's making a dogs dinner?  is it because 5 have left and no one has come in.  It looks like he is finding hard to sign players for whatever reason, maybe he is going to much of a higher level to sign players.

He seems to have crushed the confidence and put doubts into what looked like a cohesive and happy squad. Very early in the bad run,he started moaning about one or two players not performing and then at least six games before the transfer window began threatening the players with change very publicly. Now I'm no psychologist but I don't think outbursts like that, softly spoken or not, helped with squad confidence. Maybe a bit more of "I've got belief in my players" or "we've got a talented bunch here", might have got better desired effects than digging them out in public. It was like, "my tactics are perfect" it's the players who aren't good enough to carry them out" kind of thing. Never goes down well with pro-football squads. The bizarre dropping of Towler and Hunt at times can't have gone down well either internally and it obviously affected both players. I thought Bapaga was growing into the season and then he disappeared without a trace.

I mean, look what we've been left with at the moment, a shambles of a squad with probably four, five or six with the ability to compete at the top end of Division Five. Massive transfer window for Hurst coming up.. and for the owners too imho. I said ten games in we were in a flattering position and I've gone from giving PH time to now giving him until the end of February to turn this around or else he doesn't deserve to be the one to build our club's playing side off the pitch. His record over the past three or four seasons speaks for itself. He's no longer holding a winning formula on his cv..
Posted by: forza ivano, January 13, 2022, 7:32pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Bigdog

He seems to have crushed the confidence and put doubts into what looked like a cohesive and happy squad. Very early in the bad run,he started moaning about one or two players not performing and then at least six games before the transfer window began threatening the players with change very publicly. Now I'm no psychologist but I don't think outbursts like that helped with squad confidence. Maybe a bit more of "I've got belief in my players" or "we've got a talented bunch here", might have got better desired effects than digging them out in public. It was like, "my tactics are perfect" it's the players who aren't good enough to carry them out" kind of thing. Never goes down well with pro-football squads. The bizarre dropping of Towler and Hunt at times can't have gone down well either internally and it obviously affected both players. I thought Bapaga was growing into the season and then he disappeared like a trace.

I mean, look what we've been left with at the moment, a shambles of a squad with probably four, five or six with the ability to compete at the top end of Division Five. Massive transfer window for Hurst coming up.. and for the owners too imho. I said ten games in we were in a flattering decision and I've gone from giving PH time to end of February to turn this around or else he doesn't deserve to be the one to build our club's playing side off the pitch. His record over the past three or four seasons speaks for itself. He's no longer holding a winning formula on his cv..

tbh, as pro 1878 and pro hurst, i'm finding it difficult to counter that....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2022, 7:39pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from forza ivano

tbh, as pro 1878 and pro hurst, i'm finding it difficult to counter that....

I’m pro Grimsby Town. Even with Fenty and Holloway in charge, I still wanted us to win every game and get better every week.

Six players have gone and we look very light in several positions. From someone with Hurst’s experience, I expect better.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 7:39pm; Reply: 100
Efete, McAtee, Sousa, JMD, Crocombe, Taylor and Fox are my four, five or six by the way.. and I'd like to have a better look at Longe-King sometime.. the rest.. hard-working, but meh, never get us out of this division..

Towler, Hunt, Bapaga and maybe Bell would have been added to that list..
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from Bigdog

He seems to have crushed the confidence and put doubts into what looked like a cohesive and happy squad. Very early in the bad run,he started moaning about one or two players not performing and then at least six games before the transfer window began threatening the players with change very publicly. Now I'm no psychologist but I don't think outbursts like that helped with squad confidence. Maybe a bit more of "I've got belief in my players" or "we've got a talented bunch here", might have got better desired effects than digging them out in public. It was like, "my tactics are perfect" it's the players who aren't good enough to carry them out" kind of thing. Never goes down well with pro-football squads. The bizarre dropping of Towler and Hunt at times can't have gone down well either internally and it obviously affected both players. I thought Bapaga was growing into the season and then he disappeared without a trace.

I mean, look what we've been left with at the moment, a shambles of a squad with probably four, five or six with the ability to compete at the top end of Division Five. Massive transfer window for Hurst coming up.. and for the owners too imho. I said ten games in we were in a flattering position and I've gone from giving PH time to now giving him until the end of February to turn this around or else he doesn't deserve to be the one to build our club's playing side off the pitch. His record over the past three or four seasons speaks for itself. He's no longer holding a winning formula on his cv..

Interesting points BD.  PH can be quite harsh sometimes, maybe he is trying to get his players to do too much.

I was thinking earlier actually about tactics, not sure what got me thinking but i was i like if i was a manager what sort of tactics would i employ.  I remember watching a football documentary and some players struggled with tactics or understanding what was asked of them.  For me i would be keep it simple and show the threats of the opposition to the players, i'd let them decide how they want to play.
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2022, 7:53pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Bigdog
Efete, McAtee, Sousa, JMD, Crocombe, Taylor and Fox are my four, five or six by the way.. and I'd like to have a better look at Longe-King sometime.. the rest.. hard-working, but meh, never get us out of this division..

I'd add Clifton to that list you always need a yard dog, and HC has still time to improve.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 7:59pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Meza

Interesting points BD.  PH can be quite harsh sometimes, maybe he is trying to get his players to do too much.

I was thinking earlier actually about tactics, not sure what got me thinking but i was i like if i was a manager what sort of tactics would i employ.  I remember watching a football documentary and some players struggled with tactics or understanding what was asked of them.  For me i would be keep it simple and show the threats of the opposition to the players, i'd let them decide how they want to play.

I think it's as simple as this. In modern day football it's the manager's job by his own actions to maintain and/or build the squad's confidence as a whole and individually. PH has clearly failed these past three months. Whether he can't do it anymore or he's suffering from a lack of confidence himself after his last 100 games or so in management, I don't know, but he's going to have to get his mojo back sooner rather than later. A dour, critical and pernickerty Yorkshireman isn't going to turn our season around and get us into the play-offs..

As for footballers, changing tactics can be relatively easy for them as long as they believe in the tactics, believe in their own role in the tactics and also that the said tactics work..
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:04pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Meza

I'd add Clifton to that list you always need a yard dog, and HC has still time to improve.

Yeah, was the only other one I considered tbh.. squad player at the very least..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 8:12pm; Reply: 105
Waterfall was has been consistently good this season. Plenty good enough with a bit of pace alongside him.
Posted by: toontown, January 13, 2022, 8:13pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Bigdog

I think your being v generous indeed there to say the ones listed are players to get you to the top of Div 5.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:15pm; Reply: 107
Waterfall was has been consistently good this season. Plenty good enough with a bit of pace alongside him.

Agree to a certain extent, but not good enough to get us out of this league or make the footballing link with the ball cohesive enough between defence and midfield. Need better to get promoted..
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:17pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from toontown

I think your being v generous indeed there to say the ones listed are players to get you to the top of Div 5.

No, they're good players who'd play even better with better teammates..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2022, 8:29pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree to a certain extent, but not good enough to get us out of this league or make the footballing link with the ball cohesive enough between defence and midfield. Need better to get promoted..

He was good enough to get the Gimps out of this league.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 8:43pm; Reply: 110
Quoted from Bigdog

So you want two ball playing centre backs? The current title favourites have Mad Gav Gunning in there. Waterfall was excellent on Tuesday at Halifax for me but just needs a bit more pace to his left to compliment him.
Posted by: chaos33, January 13, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 111
Still find this so hard to accept - that Gavin Gunning is playing at this level for a team doing well!!!
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:47pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He was playing with Sean Raggett..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 8:51pm; Reply: 113
Quoted from Bigdog

He was playing with Sean Raggett..

So he was good enough to win this league with the right partner?
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:53pm; Reply: 114

So you want two ball playing centre backs? The current title favourites have Mad Gav Gunning in there. Waterfall was excellent on Tuesday at Halifax for me but just needs a bit more pace to his left to compliment him.

My view is that after Towler got dropped the cohesiveness between defence and midfield completely disappeared and we resorted to going longer than previously in the season. Passing from the back rather than lumping it matters at any level. Waterfall although great in the air and strong in the tackle, is still relatively slow and ball watches in our own box. Start making a strong case for many more players and you'll end up back with the same team that we've got now. There's better than Waterfall in this division, I've seen at least half a dozen, if not more..
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 8:55pm; Reply: 115

So he was good enough to win this league with the right partner?

Fans wanting to build a team around Luke Waterfall. How far we have fallen..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 8:58pm; Reply: 116
I agree there's probably better. I don't think anybody has two better though. So find someone to compliment him because when he had that person, in Towler, they looked like a Rolls Royce pairing for this league. We need partnerships and a team not a load of individuals and to start all over again.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2022, 9:01pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from Bigdog

Nobody suggested building a team round him. You were the one building a team and I gave you the name of a National League winner who, with Towler, had a great start to the season.

I certainly see him as at least the equal of Maguire Drew in his particular position.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 9:06pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from Bigdog

So because you're losing the argument you're going to make stuff up to argue with?
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 9:08pm; Reply: 119
I agree there's probably better. I don't think anybody has two better though. So find someone to compliment him because when he had that person, in Towler, they looked like a Rolls Royce pairing for this league. We need partnerships and a team not a load of individuals and to start all over again.

I'm not sure they did, but at least Towler could pick a pass between the lines. Our early season results flattered us because of the opposition. Defending was still woeful at Maidenhead, Bromley, Wealdstone and Altrincham when we were top..

Having someone like Waterfall affects the whole DNA of any side, you either go one way like Lincoln did which was very direct or you go the other. Anything else is a compromise if you're trying to get promoted. Not popular but it's what I think. Football's gone way beyond one stopper one quick partner, one big target man, one nippy partner, etc etc

Anyway, don't post much nowadays.. I've said my bit for a while..
Posted by: ginnywings, January 13, 2022, 9:10pm; Reply: 120
Is the defence the problem? The 6 teams above us have all conceded the same or more than we have.

It's only the top three who have considerably better goals against records.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2022, 9:13pm; Reply: 121

So because you're losing the argument you're going to make stuff up to argue with?

How am I losing the argument? You haven't changed my mind one bit mate..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 13, 2022, 9:24pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Bigdog

How am I losing the argument? You haven't changed my mind one bit mate..

You just seem to be ignoring a lot of the arguments made against yours and then imagining others to argue with instead.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 13, 2022, 9:29pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from chaos33
Still find this so hard to accept - that Gavin Gunning is playing at this level for a team doing well!!!

The very same Mad Gav Gunning that, by his admission, doesn't even like football!
Posted by: Maringer, January 13, 2022, 10:32pm; Reply: 124
I'm a bit confused by the idea that Hurst built a good squad, got it playing well with a great atmosphere about the team and in training, but then somehow destroyed the confidence of the players, revealing them to be not nearly good enough. I think that's one of the arguments we've seen over the past few pages.

The idea that there is a problem with the atmosphere within the squad doesn't really tally with anything we know about Hurst's previous teams here and at Shrewsbury, for example. (No idea about his time at Ipswich or Scunny, however.)

We started the season with some decent results, nicking a winner here and there, somewhat fortunately coming from behind to beat Barnet and playing well to come from behind to beat Torquay and Wrexham. We then started playing better (defeat against Bromley aside) during the subsequent games which propelled us to the top of the division and were playing some good stuff and getting the goals our play deserved. The odd defensive lapse here and there was overcome by the attacking success.

However, the important thing to note is that, during those games, we only beat 1 team currently above us in the table. During the bad run of results, 5 of the teams above us have beaten us. As I've said before, the margins have been very close and we certainly didn't 'deserve' to lose some of those games, but lose them we did. Without the problems with injury, illness and suspension, I suspect we'd have won or drawn a few of those games, but that's the way things have gone with our slightly thin squad. Heck, we've still got a positive goal difference despite the terrible run of results over the past few months!

We weren't as good as we thought we were earlier in the season. We're not as bad now as the recent results would indicate.

No doubt that some new signings (and hopefully a bit of luck with injuries) are required, but I'm still hoping for a play-off place come the end of the season.

Let's hope Amos is the first of several good signings and a good alternative to Hunt can be found providing we aren't going to get him back here.
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2022, 10:35pm; Reply: 125
I saw on Twitter that Scunny are struggling to attract players lol
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 13, 2022, 10:40pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Meza
I saw on Twitter that Scunny are struggling to attract players lol

I suppose it's a bit easier if you aren't under a transfer embargo!
Posted by: forza ivano, January 13, 2022, 10:49pm; Reply: 127
Just a thought on waterfall (a man transformed btw) .such a poor centre half that high flying,big spending Chesterfield were willing to pay a fee for him just 2 or 3 months ago
Posted by: Meza, January 13, 2022, 10:51pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I suppose it's a bit easier if you aren't under a transfer embargo!

True, completely self inflicted.  Shame really.
Posted by: lee65, January 13, 2022, 11:10pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from ginnywings
Is the defence the problem? The 6 teams above us have all conceded the same or more than we have.

It's only the top three who have considerably better goals against records.

Good point, our main problem is scoring goals.  Early season when we conceded I generally felt we could get back in the game, but now it’s back to last seasons feeling that if we go 1-0 down that’s game over  :-/
Posted by: fishcake63, January 14, 2022, 6:27am; Reply: 130
Quoted from MuddyWaters

yes & with a worse squad than what we currently have one example rhead or taylor
Posted by: fishcake63, January 14, 2022, 6:32am; Reply: 131
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm not sure they did, but at least Towler could pick a pass between the lines. Our early season results flattered us because of the opposition. Defending was still woeful at Maidenhead, Bromley, Wealdstone and Altrincham when we were top..

Having someone like Waterfall affects the whole DNA of any side, you either go one way like Lincoln did which was very direct or you go the other. Anything else is a compromise if you're trying to get promoted. Not popular but it's whathink. Football's gone way beyond one stopper one quick partner, one big target man, one nippy partner, etc etc

Anyway, don't post much nowadays.. I've said my bit for a while..

what total nonsense
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2022, 7:39am; Reply: 132
Probably a good thing you dont post much Bigdog

Waterfalls been excellent. My MOM On Tuesday night
Posted by: pen penfras, January 14, 2022, 7:44am; Reply: 133
Quoted from fishcake63

yes & with a worse squad than what we currently have one example rhead or taylor

Wow, that's rose tinted glasses at its worst. To think this squad is anything near that of the Lincoln squad that steamrollered the league is crazy. Just because Taylor is a better footballer than Rhead doesn't mean he wasn't incredibly effective at this level.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2022, 7:53am; Reply: 134
Quoted from moosey_club

Spokes isn't good enough, end of.  Khouri realistically isn't either but I think he has maybe suffered from not having a dedicated position as such.
Hunt is a very decent player and gets the ball moving through the different thirds of the pitch very quickly.

If he doesn't return then again, like Towler, wish him all the best.  

Last season Spokes showed one or two sparks.  Also, last season Waterfall was crap.  This season, he's playing well.  
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2022, 8:02am; Reply: 135
Quoted from Bigdog

He seems to have crushed the confidence and put doubts into what looked like a cohesive and happy squad. Very early in the bad run,he started moaning about one or two players not performing and then at least six games before the transfer window began threatening the players with change very publicly. Now I'm no psychologist but I don't think outbursts like that, softly spoken or not, helped with squad confidence. Maybe a bit more of "I've got belief in my players" or "we've got a talented bunch here", might have got better desired effects than digging them out in public. It was like, "my tactics are perfect" it's the players who aren't good enough to carry them out" kind of thing. Never goes down well with pro-football squads. The bizarre dropping of Towler and Hunt at times can't have gone down well either internally and it obviously affected both players. I thought Bapaga was growing into the season and then he disappeared without a trace.

Totally agree BigDog.  I can't see how a team that was firing on all cylinders can just lose it.  The form at the start of the season wasn't a fluke, we had panache.  We had the best goal difference in the league with a myriad (i can't remember the number) scorers.   The loss of McAtee was a blow but I don't believe it could have made that much difference.  The incentive to play well is to win as a team but also get picked for the next week.  As you mentioned, players got dropped and none of us could understand why.   PH can be a bit dour.  Remember JT in an interview saying that was a good goal.  PH chuckled and said it was decent.  OK, we don't have to go all American and say that it was the best goal ever but at least give credit where credit is due.
Posted by: Mayaman, January 14, 2022, 8:10am; Reply: 136
Quoted from lee65

Good point, our main problem is scoring goals.  Early season when we conceded I generally felt we could get back in the game, but now it’s back to last seasons feeling that if we go 1-0 down that’s game over  :-/

That's why MD's goal against Halifax was so pleasing. I felt that we might have turned the corner there.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 14, 2022, 9:07am; Reply: 137
Quoted from fishcake63

Rhead and Taylor are two completely different players but aside from Rhead that Lincoln team ran harder than anyone else and put at least 30 crosses into the box every game. Habergham in particular was excellent for them as an attacking left back and so was Alex Woodyard in the centre of midfield. Whilst Elliott Whitehouse had tons of energy he was mainly a substitute.

3 very effective centre halves to choose from in Waterfall, Raggett and Howe. They also had 4 very good wingers to choose from in Harry Anderson, Josh Ginnelly, Nathan Arnold and Terry Hawkridge.

That Lincoln squad was certainly better than what we currently have.
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2022, 9:20am; Reply: 138
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Rhead and Taylor are two completely different players but aside from Rhead that Lincoln team ran harder than anyone else and put at least 30 crosses into the box every game. Habergham in particular was excellent for them as an attacking left back and so was Alex Woodyard in the centre of midfield. Whilst Elliott Whitehouse had tons of energy he was mainly a substitute.

3 very effective centre halves to choose from in Waterfall, Raggett and Howe. They also had 4 very good wingers to choose from in Harry Anderson, Josh Ginnelly, Nathan Arnold and Terry Hawkridge.

That Lincoln squad was certainly better than what we currently have.

Bradley Wood says he’ll bet you £20 it wasn’t…
Posted by: Simon, January 14, 2022, 6:06pm; Reply: 139
Just signed a new contract at SWFC good luck to the lad
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 14, 2022, 6:29pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from Simon

Probably means he’s going out on loan again 🤞
Posted by: fishcake63, January 14, 2022, 6:38pm; Reply: 141
Well i'd put mcatee taylor efete fox forward off top of my head who would have walked in that side , & i was a rhead fan unlike most on here but if fit every week taylor for me , i wasn't at all disrespecting the imps promotion team it was more in terms of budgets & granted the lge is terribly harder to win now with all the money been splashed
Posted by: Maringer, January 14, 2022, 7:34pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from Simon

Good for him. Would make it more likely he'll return than not, though I still suspect he might end up on loan at a League 2 club.
Posted by: acko338, January 15, 2022, 5:54pm; Reply: 143
Played for them today, unless they have 2 Hunts on the books ??
Posted by: Fette Schlange, January 15, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from acko338

Jack Hunt
Posted by: davmariner, January 15, 2022, 5:59pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from acko338

It’s another Hunt.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 15, 2022, 9:57pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from davmariner

It’s another Hunt.

Not his Scottish cousin who on entering the dressing room said “ Hiya lads I’m McHunt”!,
Posted by: Teesknees, January 15, 2022, 10:14pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Not his Scottish cousin who on entering the dressing room said “ Hiya lads I’m McHunt”!,

There was a weather man on Anglia TV years ago called Michael Hunt, an ex RAF guy I seem to remember with a waxed moustache.

I can remember only one occassion that they said " Now over to Mike Hunt for the weather"!

Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 15, 2022, 10:19pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Teesknees

There was a weather man on Anglia TV years ago called Michael Hunt, an ex RAF guy I seem to remember with a waxed moustache.

I can remember only one occassion that they said " Now over to Mike Hunt for the weather"!

Non football but Mike Crack has just been named team principal of the Aston Martin F1 team.
Posted by: golfer, January 16, 2022, 10:11am; Reply: 149
Quoted from Fette Schlange

Jack Hunt

Very fanny
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 16, 2022, 10:19am; Reply: 150
Quoted from Teesknees

Did he hand it back over to his colleague Dixie Normous?
Posted by: davmariner, January 17, 2022, 3:11pm; Reply: 151
Hunt signs for Oldham. It does make you a little concerned as to how they were able to afford him (they have no money and are in the excrement) yet we can’t.

https://twitter.com/officialoafc/status/1483091787673653257?s=21
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 17, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from davmariner
Hunt signs for Oldham. It does make you a little concerned as to how they were able to afford him (they have no money and are in the excrement) yet we can’t.

Oldham probably can't afford him. They're an absolute circus. Plenty of previous of not paying players. They were one of the few clubs that were more of a shitshow than we were under Fenty.
Posted by: ska face, January 17, 2022, 3:23pm; Reply: 153
Can’t say I’m happy but can just about see Hurst’s POV on this, even if I don’t necessarily agree with it.

Hunt won’t be here next season and both the board and manager have spoken about the need to think long(er) term when it comes to recruitment. For whatever we were paying Hunt, we might be better off spending that on someone who’ll be with us next year or we can sell on if they do well.

He does need to pull one out the bag though if he’s to find a replacement near Hunt’s calibre.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 17, 2022, 3:35pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from davmariner

Nobody said we can't afford him. Wednesday wanted us to pay all of his wages rather than the portion we have been paying and as a principled man, Hurst told them no and I agree with him there.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 17, 2022, 3:47pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from GhostDan
We'll never know the full story but I do find it strange we've not pushed the boat out to get him back for the rest of the season. He can't have been on that much money as a 19 year old at a League One Club & the loss of his energy, drive and forward thinking passing is definitely going to be a miss.  

The rumours are that his wage is quite large; unless he took a large pay cut when he signed his new deal last week which is quite possible given Wednesday are now a League One club and he's arguably further away from their first team now than he was when he signed the deal.

Hurst spends the boards money like it's his own which has its advantages and disadvantages but I suppose Oldham will be a useful experience for him as he will need to get used to relegation if he plans on breaking into the Wednesday team regularly.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 17, 2022, 3:54pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from ska face

Hunt won’t be here next season and both the board and manager have spoken about the need to think long(er) term when it comes to recruitment. For whatever we were paying Hunt, we might be better off spending that on someone who’ll be with us next year or we can sell on if they do well.

The Board and Hurst have spoken about planning for the long term but on the playing side there is little evidence it is working. We are in Hurst's 3rd transfer window and of our current squad only the following are contracted for next season:

Sam Russell
David Longe-King
Shaun Pearson
John McAtee
Jordan Maguire-Drew

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 17, 2022, 4:24pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from psgmariner

The Board and Hurst have spoken about planning for the long term but on the playing side there is little evidence it is working. We are in Hurst's 3rd transfer window and of our current squad only the following are contracted for next season:

Sam Russell
David Longe-King
Shaun Pearson
John McAtee
Jordan Maguire-Drew

http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202

It’s quite a worry but I would expect that several players contracts include an option to extend.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2022, 4:28pm; Reply: 158
I feel that if we could have kept him on the old deal, or signed him permanently, then there was a deal to do.

If we were going to have to pay him full whack and see him leave at the end of the season anyway, it probably makes more sense to look longer term. If Burgess fits in and performs well, then I'm sure he will be given a longer deal.

It may also be that Sheff Wednesday want him at a higher level for his progression, or even the player himself may have wanted that.

He was never going to be here beyond this season, so may as well cut our losses and look for someone else.
Posted by: psgmariner, January 17, 2022, 4:32pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from MuddyWaters

It’s quite a worry but I would expect that several players contracts include an option to extend.

Good point. Not sure which do but it seems to be more and more common.

Posted by: mariner91, January 17, 2022, 5:19pm; Reply: 160
Good news for us though is if he plays well there then it could help put a further nail in Scunny's coffin.
Posted by: thevera, January 17, 2022, 6:21pm; Reply: 161
Good move on Oldham's part in trying to secure their league status however I understand they have Matt Green in their sights also!
Posted by: dicko995, January 17, 2022, 6:26pm; Reply: 162
Football died when agents stepped in, in days before,the Club owned the player, so players played to keep their contract. Its a money game now, and Clubs are ripped off with agents. If its not broken, dont fix it, too many money grabbing entreupenaires (however you spell it) have found a money earning businessm and reaped the rewards. Back in the old days (showing my age), i loved doing Littlewoods pools, and checked results where EVERY club played on a Saturday afternoon, and there was David Coleman giving the results out at teatime. Then off i went to the newsagents for the Sporting Telegraph at 6.15pm, stopping at the chippie for sixpenny mix, oh how i miss them days.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 17, 2022, 6:55pm; Reply: 163
Quoted from dicko995
Football died when agents stepped in, in days before,the Club owned the player, so players played to keep their contract. Its a money game now, and Clubs are ripped off with agents. If its not broken, dont fix it, too many money grabbing entreupenaires (however you spell it) have found a money earning businessm and reaped the rewards. Back in the old days (showing my age), i loved doing Littlewoods pools, and checked results where EVERY club played on a Saturday afternoon, and there was David Coleman giving the results out at teatime. Then off i went to the newsagents for the Sporting Telegraph at 6.15pm, stopping at the chippie for sixpenny mix, oh how i miss them days.

The issue is footballers falling for the nonsense and believing they need an agent. Just watch the Macclesfield thing with Robbie Savage, players getting £50 a week having an agent. As much as clubs get ripped off, players are but that’s their own fault. The higher up players go I could understand having a solicitor present or even agent but it’s bonkers players earning £300 a week having an agent.
Posted by: acko338, January 17, 2022, 7:38pm; Reply: 164
Good luck to the lad - gave us some good games and always worked hard !
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 17, 2022, 7:48pm; Reply: 165
It's disappointing but it was always gonna happen. Good luck to him, I hope he hasn't made a bad choice here as I don't know if a League 2 relegation battle is the necessarily the right place for him at the moment. He's got a bright future ahead of him if he continues the way he did for us, in my opinion. Could see him being a solid L1 player within a year or so.

Quoted from thevera
Good move on Oldham's part in trying to secure their league status however I understand they have Matt Green in their sights also!

They've got Montel Gibson in their sights!

https://the72.co.uk/259966/exclusive-oldham-athletic-and-mansfield-town-looking-at-stourbridge-striker-montel-gibson/
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 17, 2022, 7:51pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from Son of Cod
It's disappointing but it was always gonna happen. Good luck to him, I hope he hasn't made a bad choice here as I don't know if a League 2 relegation battle is the necessarily the right place for him at the moment. He's got a bright future ahead of him if he continues the way he did for us, in my opinion. Could see him being a solid L1 player within a year or so.

They've got Montel Gibson in their sights!

https://the72.co.uk/259966/exclusive-oldham-athletic-and-mansfield-town-looking-at-stourbridge-striker-montel-gibson/

Hunt will be threading through lots of through balls to an offside Gibson then.

If Gibson gets his missus pregnant again though, at least Hunt will have a great gender reveal party to attend.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 17, 2022, 8:01pm; Reply: 167
I thought Gibson had some potential and also Jackson
We are not even able to put a striker on the bench.
We do not have a mobile first team striker at all. Taylor is excellent on hold up play but one striker for a team that should be challenging still blows my mind
Hurst Was hellbent on sweeping out every player from the Holloway regime And I have a nasty feeling he will get proven wrong utm
Posted by: davmariner, January 17, 2022, 8:08pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from Zmariner
We do not have a mobile first team striker at all. Taylor is excellent on hold up play but one striker for a team that should be challenging still blows my mind
Hurst Was hellbent on sweeping out every player from the Holloway regime And I have a nasty feeling he will get proven wrong utm

That’s interesting, as I thought Gibson was shite and didn’t understand the offside rule.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 17, 2022, 8:26pm; Reply: 169
Quoted from Zmariner

You forgot LJL.  ;)
Posted by: Vance Warner, January 17, 2022, 9:43pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Zmariner

Look at where those players are now and you have your answer. We were relying on Spokes and Rose to play centre midfield in a relegation battle and now they’re playing two levels below.
Posted by: Zmariner, January 17, 2022, 9:51pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from davmariner

That’s interesting, as I thought Gibson was shite and didn’t understand the offside rule.

Time will tell , he was poor with the offside no doubt but that could be sorted
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 17, 2022, 10:03pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from Zmariner

He was that good even Stourbridge have let him go!.. scoring fir fun but makes you wonder if there's an attitude problem there..
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 17, 2022, 10:36pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

He was that good even Stourbridge have let him go!.. scoring fir fun but makes you wonder if there's an attitude problem there..

Him and another player refused to play for them in the FA Trophy on Saturday as they wanted to go elsewhere on trial instead so they've released them.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 17, 2022, 10:46pm; Reply: 174
Quoted from Zmariner

You seem to have conveniently forgotten his amazing ability to miss the target by as many yards as he was from goal on the odd occasion he remained on side.
Posted by: mariner91, January 17, 2022, 10:52pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from Zmariner

He's 24, not some youngster just starting out in the game. He's actually two years older than McAtee and I know which one I would rather have. Another one of those players who has got a lot better in some of our fans' eyes when not actually playing.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 18, 2022, 5:58am; Reply: 176
Are people talking about Gibson like he was a good player? He could’ve possibly been better in a better squad but in truth he’s just another in a long line of players that weren’t good enough…
Posted by: sam gy, January 18, 2022, 10:54am; Reply: 177
Gibson ended up at Stourbridge for a reason.

Jackson Jr scored a couple of tap ins but his all round play was woeful when started. Came across as a nice guy but seems to really like the sound of his own voice - heard a podcast with him the other day and he seemed to think that because he'd scored a bunch at Folkestone he was gonna score even more in Lg2...and he would've done a lot better if we'd played him the same way Folkestone did. Last i checked he's only played about 5 games for Wealdstone this season.
Posted by: Kris2, January 18, 2022, 11:33am; Reply: 178
Quoted from aldi_01
Are people talking about Gibson like he was a good player? He could’ve possibly been better in a better squad but in truth he’s just another in a long line of players that weren’t good enough…

It's like when players leave everyone forgets what it was like to watch them play. Was too easy to mark and defend against, caught offside more times than not because he wasn't used to playing against proper players. Did well back at his level again and that attracted attention from teams who might take a punt on him as we did. They probably won't give him a 3 year deal, I'd imagine if he does fine on trial they'll give him until the end of the season or 1 year at best to prove himself. Mansfield are in a position where they'll throw anything at the wall and hope it sticks with how their season is going.
Posted by: chaos33, January 18, 2022, 1:44pm; Reply: 179
Oldham are at Harrogate on Saturday, so will hopefully get to see how he plays as I’m at that game.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 18, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 180
I thought Gibson looked better than Jackson which is far more of a comment on the latter than it is the former.
Posted by: toontown, January 18, 2022, 4:01pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Vance Warner

Look at where those players are now and you have your answer. We were relying on Spokes and Rose to play centre midfield in a relegation battle and now they’re playing two levels below.

Yeah Rose and Gibson were utter shite, spokes the same but v young so may be able to develop into a National League level player in time. We were trying to play him at league 2 level!

This is the perfect example of how players get better when they aren't playing in some people's eyes - Gibson was utterly out of his depth at the bottom of league 2. He moved to bottom of national league with whoever it was we loaned him to and failed completely. He is at his level at Stourbridge were his physical attributes are enough to score some goals, he has no talent at all and is brainless to boot.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 18, 2022, 4:04pm; Reply: 182
jackson and gibson were absolutely crap.

Gibson an idiot to boot

Then we had Sissay As well who i think made 2 apperances?
Posted by: toontown, January 18, 2022, 4:06pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Hagrid
jackson and gibson were absolutely crap.

Gibson an idiot to boot

Then we had Sissay As well who i think made 2 apperances?

Oh god sissay I forgot him, so bad Clee town didn't want him and Holloway had signed him up for the fringe of a league 2 squad!
Posted by: aldi_01, January 19, 2022, 6:02am; Reply: 184
I think this is the issue, we weren’t in great shape and then expected players who had barely kicked a ball in anger in the league to be the saviours of our season.

We’re they entirely crap? Who knows, perhaps with better management and a positive squad doing well they may have been on the fringe but in truth all three of those named were shite…that will be my memory of them. Shite. In a long list of players we’ve wasted money on who were shite…
Posted by: rancido, January 19, 2022, 5:11pm; Reply: 185
Back to Alex Hunt and I agree with PH in not meeting Sheffields attempt to up the terms for the loan agreement. Hunts contract was up this summer and Hurst had expressed an interest in signing him permanently. Obviously PH would have been aware of what Hunts salary was (we were paying a third of it anyway) so he would also have a rough idea of what it would take to sign him permanently. IMO Sheffield were always going to extend his contract ( which they now have done) and I think they saw our interest as an opportunity for us to pay his full wage ( while we were actually training him) until his new contract. started. He would have been a good addition but I would rather that commitment in money went to a more realistic permanent signing. As another point I would doubt Oldham are paying his full salary.
Posted by: acko338, January 19, 2022, 5:20pm; Reply: 186
He has gone on loan elsewhere - thanks for what he did - move on !
Posted by: chaos33, January 22, 2022, 7:19pm; Reply: 187
Watched Hunt today. As usual he looked really tidy, mobile, skilful in an Oldham side that were absolutely dreadful, and I mean, way worse than us. Inexplicably he was subbed early in the second half after looking their best player, and they continued to the end of the game with absolutely zero threat, and Harrogate smashed them 3-0 very comfortably. He may be gaining experience at a higher level than us, but the team he’s playing in is utterly gash, and negativity and hopelessness and anger spills from their fans. I still regard it as a big mistake that we didn’t do some sort of deal with Wednesday to retail him.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 8:48am