Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: chaos33, January 9, 2022, 2:20pm
Armani as a first name will exclude him from my acceptance.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 9, 2022, 3:25pm; Reply: 1
Interesting fact: he's named after Robbie Savage's infamous tattoo.
Posted by: golfer, January 9, 2022, 3:44pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from TheultimateMariner
Seeing as though it’s all quiet on the transfer front currently, I just thought I’d start a thread on player people would realistically like to see join us. I’ll start…

Armani Little from Torquay. Given how he seems to be the one keeping Torquay afloat, I think he would be great and add something different to our midfield. I feel as though we could offer more money than Torquay, however, he’s a southern boy, who hasn’t ventured up north, and even if we managed to tempt him here, he may not perform as well as we’d expect, as is often the case with people who uproot their lives and move far away from home.

Sounds as though you're giving reasons NOT to sign him
Posted by: Saudimariner, January 9, 2022, 4:39pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from chaos33
Armani as a first name will exclude him from my acceptance.

He should be well suited to play at a higher level!
Posted by: TheultimateMariner, January 9, 2022, 4:48pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from golfer

Sounds as though you're giving reasons NOT to sign him

Not at all, just rationalising :)

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, January 9, 2022, 4:53pm; Reply: 5
So has anybody else got any realistic signings who are unlikely to join us and probably won't succeed if they do?
Posted by: chaos33, January 9, 2022, 5:25pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
So has anybody else got any realistic signings who are unlikely to join us and probably won't succeed if they do?

😂

Yeah, and then can we descend into righteous indignation and complete overreaction when that happens? Please….I’d love that….
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, January 12, 2022, 9:40pm; Reply: 7
I saw that Anthony vanden Borre has been released by Anderlecht.

Offer him a player/coach position as he could still provide cover at right back.

Its never going to happen but we can all dream
Posted by: ginnywings, January 12, 2022, 9:56pm; Reply: 8

Offer him a player/coach position as he could still provide cover at right back.

If only the thread title was 'Unrealistic acquisitions', you'd be onto a winner.  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 12, 2022, 10:42pm; Reply: 9

Has he, Jeff?

etc
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, January 13, 2022, 12:31pm; Reply: 10

Why even look at foreign players? Not going to happen because of brexit. Don’t you remember that Jonny foreigners were holding back British talent?
Posted by: Incognito, January 13, 2022, 3:02pm; Reply: 11
I've just been having a look at players who are out of contract and those who we might "realistically" sign and found three who might be options.

Charlie Colkett is a player who's name popped up. He's played under Hurst before at Shrewsbury, and is a central midfielder. He's just been released by Ostersunds in Sweden, so might be looking for a move back to England? He's a central midfielder.

Jermaine Hylton could be another option. Same agent as Sousa, recently released by Newport. Left winger, although that position isn't a "priority".

Emyr Huws is a central midfielder. He's be on the edge of realistic/unrealistic for me though. Again, been managed by Hurst before whilst at Ipswich.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, January 13, 2022, 3:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Incognito
I've just been having a look at players who are out of contract and those who we might "realistically" sign and found three who might be options.

Charlie Colkett is a player who's name popped up. He's played under Hurst before at Shrewsbury, and is a central midfielder. He's just been released by Ostersunds in Sweden, so might be looking for a move back to England? He's a central midfielder.

Jermaine Hylton could be another option. Same agent as Sousa, recently released by Newport. Left winger, although that position isn't a "priority".

Emyr Huws is a central midfielder. He's be on the edge of realistic/unrealistic for me though. Again, been managed by Hurst before whilst at Ipswich.

Colkett looks to be training with Cheltenham.

Hylton provides the most pun fun.
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2022, 9:34am; Reply: 13
Thread on the Darlo forum here, attempting to put a value on their striker Luke Charman. General consensus seems to be around the £50k mark; is that beyond our means?

http://www.darlofc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39852
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 14, 2022, 9:41am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Poojah
Thread on the Darlo forum here, attempting to put a value on their striker Luke Charman. General consensus seems to be around the £50k mark; is that beyond our means?

His value will be limited by the fact he's played such a limited number of games in his career but you have to speculate to accumulate. If he came in and did the business then he's probably put another 0 on his value at least.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 14, 2022, 9:42am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Poojah

It shouldn’t be if all is to believed, I have no idea who’ll be coming in but I know PH will have targets that he thinks will improve us, whether he gets them or not remains to be seen. I was a bit surprised we brought a LB in yesterday though.
Posted by: chaos33, January 14, 2022, 10:27am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Poojah

Hmm. That’s maybe a theoretical, fans’ valuation but I’m not sure I can see them getting that for him, especially as he evidently wants to take the opportunity to play at a higher level and wants to go when he learns of an offer. I guess Darlo’s best chance of getting some decent money for him is if there’s competition for his signature and he’s open to moving to more than one club.
Posted by: coddy60, January 14, 2022, 11:18am; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It shouldn’t be if all is to believed, I have no idea who’ll be coming in but I know PH will have targets that he thinks will improve us, whether he gets them or not remains to be seen. I was a bit surprised we brought a LB in yesterday though.

I don't see a LB as a surprising signing, given we only have Crookes, and hes not in great form
Posted by: tashee69, January 14, 2022, 11:35am; Reply: 18
See that Charman of Darlington is a goalscorer BUT also has been sent off twice this season with a number of bookings.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 14, 2022, 12:00pm; Reply: 19
Matt Dean - "Are you interested in Luke (Charman)?"

Paul Hurst - *long pause* "No"

I'm not entirely convinced by his answer. 7m47s onwards here if you want to listen for yourself and see what you think - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bh2kc9
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 14, 2022, 12:52pm; Reply: 20
More than likely doing the classic 2+2=5

But, Scott Burgess, 24 midfielder as been allowed to have his contract terminated at Port Vale.
Our owner and Port Vale's owners seem to have a relationship, and wondering if this is possibly linked?
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, January 14, 2022, 1:25pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Chrisblor
Matt Dean - "Are you interested in Luke (Charman)?"

Paul Hurst - *long pause* "No"

I'm not entirely convinced by his answer. 7m47s onwards here if you want to listen for yourself and see what you think - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bh2kc9

Yeah, not quite sure what to make of that response. Didn’t feel like a genuine no, sounded more like a political/negotiating answer to me.
Posted by: Hagrid, January 14, 2022, 1:49pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

But, Scott Burgess, 24 midfielder as been allowed to have his contract terminated at Port Vale.
Our owner and Port Vale's owners seem to have a relationship, and wondering if this is possibly linked?

think its more to do with Hurst being very good friends with Darrell Clarke
Posted by: chaos33, January 14, 2022, 2:05pm; Reply: 23
He he. I too read that ‘no’ response to the question about Charman to be an actual ‘yes’. Wonder who the Gateshead striker he referred to is?
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, January 14, 2022, 2:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33
He he. I too read that ‘no’ response to the question about Charman to be an actual ‘yes’. Wonder who the Gateshead striker he referred to is?

Probably Langstaff, he’s had a belter of a season so far too.

Apparently Charman turned down Bradford yesterday after they met his release clause.

Also, we are trying to sign Rose on a permanent deal from you.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 14, 2022, 2:39pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Apparently Charman turned down Bradford yesterday after they met his release clause.

There is a god!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 14, 2022, 3:00pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Charman in exchange sounds like a good bit of mutually beneficial business.
Posted by: Son of Cod, January 14, 2022, 3:07pm; Reply: 27
Not sure if it's been mentioned already so apologies if this is old news but Charman wants league football and turned down Rochdale yesterday apparently. Bradford are heavily rumoured to be in for him so I think our chances are very slim to none on that one.

In other news, not sure people have clocked this one but Wrexham have bid 180k for Ollie Palmer.
Posted by: Simon, January 14, 2022, 4:20pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Son of Cod
Not sure if it's been mentioned already so apologies if this is old news but Charman wants league football and turned down Rochdale yesterday apparently. Bradford are heavily rumoured to be in for him so I think our chances are very slim to none on that one.

In other news, not sure people have clocked this one but Wrexham have bid 180k for Ollie Palmer.

Not messing about are they, good luck to them

Posted by: chaos33, January 14, 2022, 4:40pm; Reply: 29
Well, that seems to rule us out for Charman.
As for Ollie Palmer - good player, but £180K?! Wow.
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2022, 4:46pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33
Well, that seems to rule us out for Charman.
As for Ollie Palmer - good player, but £180K?! Wow.

Interestingly Wikipedia has him down as 6ft 5”. He’s either been eating his Weetabix since he left here or my memory is fading.
Posted by: chaos33, January 14, 2022, 4:59pm; Reply: 31
How old is he?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, January 14, 2022, 5:05pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

You sometimes get 4 aswell  ;)
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2022, 5:27pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from chaos33
How old is he?

Turns 30 a week today.
Posted by: Maringer, January 14, 2022, 5:44pm; Reply: 34
180 grand for Ryan Reynolds is just a drop in the ocean. Reportedly worth well over a hundred million and in the prime of his movie career, he's guaranteed tens of millions a year income for some time yet. If they are going to have a real go at things, it's no surprise they might well splash the cash.
Posted by: chaos33, January 14, 2022, 6:18pm; Reply: 35
I see this as the equivalent of paying 8 grand for a 2013 Vauxhall Astra with 96000 miles on the clock, when the true value is probably £2500. Good car, lots of of attributes but in average nick having done a lot of miles and grossly overpriced. Good business for the garage. 🙂
Posted by: Poojah, January 14, 2022, 7:57pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
180 grand for Ryan Reynolds is just a drop in the ocean. Reportedly worth well over a hundred million and in the prime of his movie career, he's guaranteed tens of millions a year income for some time yet. If they are going to have a real go at things, it's no surprise they might well splash the cash.

Very little, if any, of his own personal cash is going to be spent on Wrexham. The Wrexham model is sustainable in the short-term, fuelled by Hollywood fame.

Neither Reynolds or McElhenney will lose a dime on this investment. To the contrary, I think they’ll do very well out of it.
Posted by: Maringer, January 14, 2022, 8:44pm; Reply: 37
I'd be somewhat surprised if they were to even break even.

I don't get the impression that there is much chance of them making any money on the deal. Ultimately, a few million quid is pocket change for the owners (well, for Reynolds, in any case). Good PR for them, probably a bit of a laugh being involved in some respect (especially given that opportunities for doing much different have been limited during the pandemic). What's Reynolds risking? A 30th of his wealth all in, something like that? Heck, I could easily lose that without blinking an eye and I certainly don't have millions in the bank!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 6:15pm