Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 2, 2022, 2:51pm
I notice the welly the birthplace of the mariners has shut it doors. What a great shame no one is taking it on.
Surely the trust could look at this as there must be interest in keeping the clubs origins alive?.

Posted by: supertown, January 2, 2022, 3:03pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from monkeyboy
I notice the welly the birthplace of the mariners has shut it doors. What a great shame no one is taking it on.
Surely the trust could look at this as there must be interest in keeping the clubs origins alive?.

Really ?
Posted by: Mallyner, January 2, 2022, 3:06pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from monkeyboy

That is sad and I didn't know or have forgotten that fact.

I suppose it's a sign of the times and if it isn't taken over and if others feel strongly about the sentiment, could we perhaps have a Wellington Arms sign above one of the bar doors?   :)

Posted by: denni266, January 2, 2022, 3:10pm; Reply: 3
Would be nice  But i think it would be a millstone round the trusts neck . Maby some of the fixtures and fittings in the fans zone  or simular at the ground ..
Posted by: mimma, January 2, 2022, 3:21pm; Reply: 4
It has a history of shutting and opening again when a new landlord is found. It has Town related items on its walls around the bar, photos old shirts etc. If we are really interested in keeping it open as fans, then just poppin now and again for a pint and support the place. Last time I was in it was £2.30 a pint of Worthy!
Posted by: supertown, January 2, 2022, 3:30pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mimma
It has a history of shutting and opening again when a new landlord is found. It has Town related items on its walls around the bar, photos old shirts etc. If we are really interested in keeping it open as fans, then just poppin now and again for a pint and support the place. Last time I was in it was £2.30 a pint of Worthy!

You need to go in more often 😬
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 2, 2022, 3:33pm; Reply: 6
Firstly, the club is hardly awash with cash so taking on a money pit like a failing boozer would be madness - but Stockwood said that taking on the football club was not a sound business decision!

Secondly, yet another pub going to the wall produces dewy eyed romanticism from people who probably haven't been in it for 20 years. Society is changing and pubs are a victim of that change (like high street shops). The place was a dump and I wouldn't have gone for a drink in there if it was the last pub in Gy/Clee.

Let it die.
Posted by: smokey111, January 2, 2022, 3:49pm; Reply: 7
Firstly, the club is hardly awash with cash so taking on a money pit like a failing boozer would be madness - but Stockwood said that taking on the football club was not a sound business decision!

Secondly, yet another pub going to the wall produces dewy eyed romanticism from people who probably haven't been in it for 20 years. Society is changing and pubs are a victim of that change (like high street shops). The place was a dump and I wouldn't have gone for a drink in there if it was the last pub in Gy/Clee.

Let it die.

A regular then?
Posted by: mimma, January 2, 2022, 4:06pm; Reply: 8
He probably drinks in trendy wine bars rather than mix with us proper football folk LOL
Posted by: ginnywings, January 2, 2022, 4:08pm; Reply: 9
If a new ground was to be built around the Freemo/Docks area, then yeah, it might work as a home pub given it's history. Otherwise, it's a commercial dead end as a pub for various reasons.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, January 2, 2022, 5:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mimma
He probably drinks in trendy wine bars rather than mix with us proper football folk LOL

So drinking in dumps is a qualification for being "proper football folk"?

I'd have assumed it was more about years and years of following Town, football knowledge and having played the game.

But ok, it's about what pub you drink in.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 2, 2022, 7:40pm; Reply: 11
Would never work as a commercial opportunity for the Trust or club as Ginny says.

Always thought we should have got hold of the Imp though but that kind of thing would never happen under Fenty as he knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Got some great memories of drinking in there in the late 80’s early 90’s when my mam & auntie worked behind the bar.
Posted by: aldi_01, January 2, 2022, 8:40pm; Reply: 12
That pubs been dying since well before the financial bang and smoking ban. Sadly, many a ‘pub’ down there has gone the same way. No doubt someone will take this on and it’ll be open a few weeks and then shut again.

It’s a cycle for pubs like this. Whislt there a starry eyed romanticism, the vast majority of posters on here would never venture down to keep it open or buy enough ale to…

Last time I was in there for a pool match the lads game they served was still frozen…I mean it’s really not hard to cook a frozen lasagne…
Posted by: gaz57, January 3, 2022, 12:21am; Reply: 13
It's not making enough money because to many customers are giving it the boot  ;)
Posted by: Abdul19, January 3, 2022, 7:16am; Reply: 14
Quoted from denni266
Would be nice  But i think it would be a millstone round the trusts neck . Maby some of the fixtures and fittings in the fans zone  or simular at the ground ..

It's my understanding that the Jonny machine is moving to the main stand bogs.
Posted by: denni266, January 3, 2022, 7:51am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

It's my understanding that the Jonny machine is moving to the main stand bogs.

Something for the stiffs in the main to look forward too  ;) :  :o  ;D
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 6:30pm