Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: RobDef1, December 20, 2021, 8:32am
Has there been an announcement yet regarding this game? I'm assuming the game is on otherwise, but how can it be given the fact we had more positive cases on Friday and then Saturday morning? As fans, do we want it cancelled given our current form?
Posted by: pen penfras, December 20, 2021, 8:35am; Reply: 1
Quoted from RobDef1
Has there been an announcement yet regarding this game? I'm assuming the game is on otherwise, but how can it be given the fact we had more positive cases on Friday and then Saturday morning? As fans, do we want it cancelled given our current form?

Because we played on Saturday afternoon, so there's not a lot of good reason to call it off unless we have more cases. But I expect it'll get called off anyway. Think we need the league to agree first, so probably hear about it at 5pm on Tuesday when the fans are well on their way.
Posted by: RobDef1, December 20, 2021, 8:38am; Reply: 2
Quoted from pen penfras

Because we played on Saturday afternoon, so there's not a lot of good reason to call it off unless we have more cases. But I expect it'll get called off anyway. Think we need the league to agree first, so probably hear about it at 5pm on Tuesday when the fans are well on their way.

I'll file that under 'things that would have sounded absolutely ridiculous 24 months ago but make perfect sense now'.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 20, 2021, 9:03am; Reply: 3
needs to be off, should be off

leagues a farce so it'll be on
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 20, 2021, 9:29am; Reply: 4
If the game is off and the league doesn't shut down for a few weeks, I'm assuming it's Kings Lynn on 28th that Hurst was talking about when he said that would be the day that a number of players are allowed to venture out of their homes.

Surely you can't expect professional athletes to play a competitive game of football after 10 days couped up in their homes?
Posted by: TAGG, December 20, 2021, 10:06am; Reply: 5
Not on willi hill betting site.
Posted by: Kris2, December 20, 2021, 10:21am; Reply: 6
Been called off
Posted by: RobDef1, December 20, 2021, 10:24am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Kris2
Been called off

Yep just seen official twitter page confirm this
Posted by: Hagrid, December 20, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 8
Right decision clearly
Posted by: RobDef1, December 20, 2021, 10:25am; Reply: 9
When was the last time we had a game called off twice?
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 20, 2021, 10:31am; Reply: 10

Yep....now on the GTFC Official site....

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2021/december/boreham-wood-fixture-postponed/
Posted by: male private Nale, December 20, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 11
See you all in March 2022
Posted by: promotion plaice, December 20, 2021, 10:34am; Reply: 12
Quoted from pen penfras

Best way to watch Town these days, it eases the pain.

Posted by: Mallyner, December 20, 2021, 11:03am; Reply: 13
Supporting the Mariners has played a massive part in my life and I look forward so much to every game; but for once I am pleased that a game has been called off.
Posted by: Heisenberg, December 20, 2021, 11:05am; Reply: 14
Can we just cancel it and take the 0-0? A point closer to safety x.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 20, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 15
Tuesday 11th January (pending a shut down)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 20, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from pen penfras

Well that made you look a right plonker!
Posted by: aldi_01, December 20, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don’t normally come down on the side of our Welsh friend but in his defence, given the way the ruling bodies of football operate in this country I half expected the decision about that time too…
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 21, 2021, 2:00am; Reply: 18
Quoted from aldi_01

I don’t normally come down on the side of our Welsh friend but in his defence, given the way the ruling bodies of football operate in this country I half expected the decision about that time too…

I think he was having a dig at the club in his normal fashion.
Posted by: pen penfras, December 21, 2021, 7:21am; Reply: 19

Yea, because the football authorities would never call off a game like Aston Villa vs Burnley with 2 hours to kick off.
Posted by: pen penfras, December 21, 2021, 7:23am; Reply: 20

I think he was having a dig at the club in his normal fashion.

I quite clearly said the league had to agree. That's not against the club in any way, nor am I against them.

I only point out that they basically do a lot of things Fenty did but get praised for it. Of course they have improved the food and facilities with better PR, but it isn't really what I care most about in a football team.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, December 21, 2021, 7:47am; Reply: 21
I'll bite. What are all the things Fenty did that they get praised for?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, December 21, 2021, 10:23am; Reply: 22
Quoted from pen penfras

Yea, because the football authorities would never call off a game like Aston Villa vs Burnley with 2 hours to kick off.

Things change. My understanding is that Aston Villa v Burnley was called off late because of multiple positive COVID tests from those take on the morning of the game.

Games get called off late all the time. I don’t see how it’s different to our game v Boreham Wood being called of late because of storm damage or Burnley v Spurs being called off late because of snow. We don’t live in a perfect world.
Posted by: diehardmariner, December 21, 2021, 10:28am; Reply: 23
Quoted from pen penfras

Of course they have improved the food and facilities with better PR, but it isn't really what I care most about in a football team.

Interestingly then, what are your feelings on how the footballing fortunes (to paraphrase Fenty himself) have gone in the last 15-20 years then?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 21, 2021, 11:09am; Reply: 24
Back to the new owners:   They are developing a wide-ranging support base at the Club.  Like a pyramid. This will enable future growth, “a high point” in the longer-term.  The best option for sustained success.
Posted by: smokey111, December 21, 2021, 8:21pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Back to the new owners:   They are developing a wide-ranging support base at the Club.  Like a pyramid. This will enable future growth, “a high point” in the longer-term.  The best option for sustained success.

Are you David Brent?
Posted by: chaos33, December 21, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from pen penfras

I quite clearly said the league had to agree. That's not against the club in any way, nor am I against them.

I only point out that they basically do a lot of things Fenty did but get praised for it. Of course they have improved the food and facilities with better PR, but it isn't really what I care most about in a football team.

Boy, you are bitterness personified. Why didn’t you just go with JF?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 22, 2021, 1:53pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from pen penfras

You were still wrong. Out by a country mile.
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 23, 2021, 2:34am; Reply: 28
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

The best option for sustained success is a manager and players that can get the club back in the EFL.

I suspect the support base would dwindle the longer we are out of the EFL.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 1:41am