Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 18, 2021, 8:41pm
Either the club sticks with a manager who seems to have lost the players and lets him invest in replacing them or goes against the loyalty they’ve promised and pull the trigger.

8 defeats in 9? It’s a long way back from there Paul.
Posted by: mariner91, December 18, 2021, 8:55pm; Reply: 1
This was worth starting a new thread for.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, December 18, 2021, 8:59pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from mariner91

No small irony that you were the first to add to it then.
Posted by: mariner91, December 18, 2021, 9:08pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from GYinScuntland

No small irony that you were the first to add to it then.

Not sure you understand irony.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 18, 2021, 9:09pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from mariner91

Pot, kettle.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, December 18, 2021, 9:12pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from mariner91

Judging by the state of my wardrobe my mrs doesn’t
Posted by: davmariner, December 18, 2021, 9:15pm; Reply: 6
Sacking a manager mid season has very rarely resulted in a massive shift in performance. One thing that those who want rid haven’t been able to answer, is who do you want instead?

Naturally after defeats, the annoyance of the fans manifests itself in calling for the manager to be sacked. But let’s think about this rationally. If we get rid of Hurst now, it’s very unlikely that we’d get someone in before the January window. Whilst we can bring players in, outside of the window, indirectly we are subject to it as that’s when players move in and out of EFL clubs, and to a large extent we’re reliant on that market.

Recruitment isn’t just about ‘bam’, January 1st is here, let’s get started. It mostly involves weeks/months of planning ahead, speaking to agents and convincing players. It’s unlikely that a new manager will be in a position to shape things in the way he wants in this window, with the trend being that managers wanting their own people in and getting rid of the previous manager’s players.

So my point is, in bringing in someone new, you can pretty much give up on this season. It’s also a risk in that there’s the danger that a change could destabilise us even further if the players don’t respond to a new manager. Eg. look at when Hartlepool gave Craig Hignett the boot a few years and brought in Dave Jones.

Patience is needed as we consolidate this season - though that doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t ask questions and be constructive. I really don’t want us to get back into the cycle of sack a manager in the winter, bring someone new in, mass changes in the summer, sack the manager in the winter etc. It’s not sustainable financially and it continues to set us back.

As I’ve said before, it was always going to be difficult for Hurst to get all the right pieces of the jigsaw - personnel wise - in the summer. Obviously, we have areas that we’re light in. We desperately need a frontman (maybe even two if you subscribe to The Shop being past it). We’re too reliant on young, inexperienced loan players who don’t really have a stake in the future of the club. I can probably count on one hand in the last five years or so, how many loan players we’ve had that have consistently impressed.

This league isn’t easy, as Notts, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Torquay and Stockport will tell you. But in Hurst we have a good manager at this level, who works hard, doesn’t take any nonsense from players, who can turn this around - even if it takes the season to consolidate and map out the areas where we need reinforcements next summer.
Posted by: ackomariner, December 18, 2021, 9:29pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from davmariner
Sacking a manager mid season has very rarely resulted in a massive shift in performance. One thing that those who want rid haven’t been able to answer, is who do you want instead?

Naturally after defeats, the annoyance of the fans manifests itself in calling for the manager to be sacked. But let’s think about this rationally. If we get rid of Hurst now, it’s very unlikely that we’d get someone in before the January window. Whilst we can bring players in, outside of the window, indirectly we are subject to it as that’s when players move in and out of EFL clubs, and to a large extent we’re reliant on that market.

Recruitment isn’t just about ‘bam’, January 1st is here, let’s get started. It mostly involves weeks/months of planning ahead, speaking to agents and convincing players. It’s unlikely that a new manager will be in a position to shape things in the way he wants in this window, with the trend being that managers wanting their own people in and getting rid of the previous manager’s players.

So my point is, in bringing in someone new, you can pretty much give up on this season. It’s also a risk in that there’s the danger that a change could destabilise us even further if the players don’t respond to a new manager. Eg. look at when Hartlepool gave Craig Hignett the boot a few years and brought in Dave Jones.

Patience is needed as we consolidate this season - though that doesn’t mean fans shouldn’t ask questions and be constructive. I really don’t want us to get back into the cycle of sack a manager in the winter, bring someone new in, mass changes in the summer, sack the manager in the winter etc. It’s not sustainable financially and it continues to set us back.

As I’ve said before, it was always going to be difficult for Hurst to get all the right pieces of the jigsaw - personnel wise - in the summer. Obviously, we have areas that we’re light in. We desperately need a frontman (maybe even two if you subscribe to The Shop being past it). We’re too reliant on young, inexperienced loan players who don’t really have a stake in the future of the club. I can probably count on one hand in the last five years or so, how many loan players we’ve had that have consistently impressed.

This league isn’t easy, as Notts, Chesterfield, Wrexham, Torquay and Stockport will tell you. But in Hurst we have a good manager at this level, who works hard, doesn’t take any nonsense from players, who can turn this around - even if it takes the season to consolidate and map out the areas where we need reinforcements next summer.

So as I see it,  you don't want to change manager because we can write the season off. But the bottom part I've highlighted you've stated just that with Hurst to consolidate this season and start afresh with new signings in the summer.
A new manager could do exactly the same as Hurst but looks like you'd rather stick.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 18, 2021, 9:36pm; Reply: 8
I’d rather have big robjones back
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 18, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ackomariner

So as I see it,  you don't want to change manager because we can write the season off. But the bottom part I've highlighted you've stated just that with Hurst to consolidate this season and start afresh with new signings in the summer.
A new manager could do exactly the same as Hurst but looks like you'd rather stick.

I’m with this.

Despite improved facilities and staff levels, the club isn’t making progress under this management team. Paul Hurst is not of the same level as Buckley and probably shouldn’t have come back. There seems to be a lot of turd polishing going on but a turd will always be a turd.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 18, 2021, 9:40pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ackomariner

I’m with this.

Despite improved facilities and staff levels, the club isn’t making progress under this management team. Paul Hurst is not of the same level as Buckley and probably shouldn’t have come back. There seems to be a lot of turd polishing going on but a turd will always be a turd.
Posted by: LH, December 18, 2021, 9:51pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from mariner91

I enjoy the weekly “I’m just saying what all the other threads are saying” column if you don’t mind.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, December 19, 2021, 5:46am; Reply: 12
Quoted from davmariner

Bingo!
Posted by: GibMariner, December 19, 2021, 8:13am; Reply: 13
Quoted from davmariner

1, it’s not our job to look who’s out there, interview and appoint. You don’t have to be a football persons to pick a manager with your quality’s.

2, after a few losses the board should have been considering what if and pre planning, not waiting for 10 games.

3, players availability is far from planning unless you throw money at it. It becomes Hobson Choice to what’s out there.

4, we are near the playoffs and could turn it around but have you seen a spark from within to do that irrespective of 2 recent signings. Remember 12 players in last mid season window and PH still relegated us even though we we’re well clear of the drop zone when he arrived.

If you keep doing the same thing, things are not likely to change or improve. In reality could anyone think that had there been no change at the top table, that Hursty could have remained after relegating us last season.

Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 12:50pm