Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, December 4, 2021, 5:52pm
Really, really poor. How were we ever top? Only plusses the two finishes. Absolutely everything else utter garbage. Other than Waterfall all the other "defenders" were rubbish. No movement. Passing none existent or too slow and lateral. No confidence. No decent balls into Taylor. Less said about McAtee's two footer the better.

We have nothing. The top 6 will murder us.

I really do not know where we go from here and how Hurst turns it around. After the first went in our confidence was shot. We hadn't looked too bad up to then.

I'm off for a drink and bet on relegation.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 5:56pm; Reply: 1
How was Mcguire Drew?
Posted by: Hagrid, December 4, 2021, 5:58pm; Reply: 2
Crookes Injured Sousa Injured according to Hurst

Poor Interview from Tondeur, no pressing of the concerns staring us all in the face
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, December 4, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 3
Waiting for the cricket season in 2022
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, December 4, 2021, 6:05pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from MuddyWaters
How was Mcguire Drew?

Can't imagine it was too great he hardly got a mention by JT
Posted by: DB, December 4, 2021, 6:11pm; Reply: 5
The good news is we're not going to get relegated and in August mid-table was going to be good, top 7 even better. We started the decline because we needed  Taylor and McAtee together on the pitch, but neither finished the game today! Something has gone massively wrong as suggested on RH by Hagrid, and as suggested last September the strength-in-depth, has gone to what strength.

Hurst has now hinted twice that there will be movement in and out in January, so has this upset the team spirit and subsequently the form? Has Hurst's tactics been sussed out and accounted for, including no left defense or has he suddenly become inept? We hit the ground running in August and has the dream start been too much and over raised our expectations?

Hurst has just suggested on RH that some players are not performing to the potential they did earlier and perhaps the bo!!oking they got didn't go down well? So there we have it at the minute, too many questions and not enough, if any, answers.

We enjoyed the good times and now we have, reluctantly, have to accept the bad but we are still in the play-off positions. Other clubs will also go through bad times so let's hope some points against Chesterfield will start a bad run for them.

Edit.
Forgot to say there's something in the London air that upsets our players.
Posted by: Ipswin, December 4, 2021, 6:12pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from MuddyWaters
How was Mcguire Drew?

He's just been to see Hurst to ask if he can be released from his contract, said playing for such a crap team was upsetting him ;)

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 4, 2021, 6:13pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Hagrid

Poor Interview from Tondeur, no pressing of the concerns staring us all in the face

Never heard the interview but when’s he ever pressed a manger on excrement results or performances ?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2021, 6:26pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hagrid

Just listened and it seemed a fair assessment to me.  :-/
Posted by: DB, December 4, 2021, 6:28pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from ginnywings

Just listened and it seemed a fair assessment to me.  :-/

I agree with you, what do expect JT to say? He asked the relevant questions to a downbeat Hurt.

Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 6:35pm; Reply: 10
I’ve seen the spirit, commitment, passion in the eyes and on the faces of McAtee, Taylor, Clifton, Pearson, Coke, Fox etc. I intend to match that and stick with them. Ups and downs. Win together, lose together. It’s tough, and competitive. If you don’t want a bit of that, and can’t get an objective and realistic perspective, go and play golf or do the Christmas shopping or summat and spare the rest of us the entitled bleating.  
Posted by: mariner91, December 4, 2021, 6:43pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from DB
The good news is we're not going to get relegated and in August mid-table was going to be good, top 7 even better. We started the decline because we needed  Taylor and McAtee together on the pitch, but neither finished the game today! Something has gone massively wrong as suggested on RH by Hagrid, and as suggested last September the strength-in-depth, has gone to what strength.

Hurst has now hinted twice that there will be movement in and out in January, so has this upset the team spirit and subsequently the form? Has Hurst's tactics been sussed out and accounted for, including no left defense or has he suddenly become inept? We hit the ground running in August and has the dream start been too much and over raised our expectations?

Hurst has just suggested on RH that some players are not performing to the potential they did earlier and perhaps the bo!!oking they got didn't go down well? So there we have it at the minute, too many questions and not enough, if any, answers.

We enjoyed the good times and now we have, reluctantly, have to accept the bad but we are still in the play-off positions. Other clubs will also go through bad times so let's hope some points against Chesterfield will start a bad run for them.

Edit.
Forgot to say there's something in the London air that upsets our players.

In what world would mid table in non league be considered good?! I'm not one of these who thinks we have a divine right to be at the top of this division but Jesus H Christ, we're Grimsby Town not Wealdstone ffs.  :
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 4, 2021, 6:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Hagrid

Do you expect anything else from Tondour? I can’t recall him asking “why did you play a centre half at left back and leave a left back on the bench”?
Posted by: Grimsby Is Not In Yorkshire, December 4, 2021, 7:02pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33
I’ve seen the spirit, commitment, passion in the eyes and on the faces of McAtee, Taylor, Clifton, Pearson, Coke, Fox etc. I intend to match that and stick with them. Ups and downs. Win together, lose together. It’s tough, and competitive. If you don’t want a bit of that, and can’t get an objective and realistic perspective, go and play golf or do the Christmas shopping or summat and spare the rest of us the entitled bleating.  

You need quality as well and we currently have none.
Posted by: DB, December 4, 2021, 7:04pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from mariner91

In what world would mid table in non league be considered good?! I'm not one of these who thinks we have a divine right to be at the top of this division but Jesus H Christ, we're Grimsby Town not Wealdstone ffs.  :

I agree with you but some said this on here pre-season.  ;) ;)

Posted by: Vance Warner, December 4, 2021, 7:06pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from chaos33

Superb post. No way we’ll go down so Hurst will be here until the end of the season at least. He’s always steadily improved us. There’s no doubt the squad now is better than the one that finished last season which was better than the one he inherited.
Time to stick together. By all means have an opinion but some of the personal insults on here aimed at PH are babyish at best
Posted by: headingly_mariner, December 4, 2021, 7:10pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Do you expect anything else from Tondour? I can’t recall him asking “why did you play a centre half at left back and leave a left back on the bench”?

I can answer that for you. Revan is shite and Towler has played left back for Bristol City’s academy and Crookes was injured.
Posted by: Stadium, December 4, 2021, 7:29pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Always the "safe" questions and never challenges.

Easiest ride ever for a manger in an interview.

Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 18

You need quality as well and we currently have none.

I'd dispute that.

Taylor, Fox and McAtee are quality players. So are Hunt and Towler, but they are young and feeling the pace. Waterfall is very capable and there are others who show glimpses of quality but lack consistency, such as Sousa and Bapaga.

Haven't seen anything of JMD yet, but again, he has the potential to be a very good player if he can get his form going.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 7:46pm; Reply: 19
I was waiting to see if there might be some balance and rationality - you’ve just brought it.
Everyone knows it’s really disappointing. It’s not good enough. But we need to regroup, take a critical but constructive overview and get on with it. I’ve watched Town for 40 years. I’ve seen many, many poorer squads and managers than this. One thing is for sure - if the fans turn against this committed and quality squad, we’ll deteriorate, not improve.
UTM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 4, 2021, 8:11pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from headingly_mariner

I can answer that for you. Revan is shite and Towler has played left back for Bristol City’s academy and Crookes was injured.

Can you say we’ve seen enough of Reevan to truly make an assessment Towler may have played LB for Bristol City’s academy but Reevan I’d assume has played in that position for Villa’s academy.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, December 4, 2021, 8:17pm; Reply: 21
I've got a feeling Revan is going back next month.
Posted by: barralad, December 4, 2021, 8:32pm; Reply: 22
Confidence is clearly shot to pieces. We were on top until the first goal but you could see the players deflate when it went in. Mcatees equaliser was against the run of play but I wouldn't have thought there were many Town fans who didn't think we would go on from there and win the game.
What happened instead was a toothless capitulation. Their second was a good finish but we allowed him to turn and hit it. The third goal coming so soon after the second was the coup de grace.
Mcatee is far and away our best player but his two-footed challenge (surely borne out of frustration) was beyond stupid. Hurst should make an example of him.
Positives? Not many but a wonderful strike from Bell for our second. Crocombe did OK but on several occasions overhit his clearances.
Negatives? If LJL is in the team for his ability to hold the ball up then we need an urgent Plan B..not sure he held the ball once.
Least said about the internal fighting towards the end the better...sad events.
Posted by: Hagrid, December 4, 2021, 8:35pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from barralad
Confidence is clearly shot to pieces. We were on top until the first goal but you could see the players deflate when it went in. Mcatees equaliser was against the run of play but I wouldn't have thought there were many Town fans who didn't think we would go on from there and win the game.
What happened instead was a toothless capitulation. Their second was a good finish but we allowed him to turn and hit it. The third goal coming so soon after the second was the coup de grace.
Mcatee is far and away our best player but his two-footed challenge (surely borne out of frustration) was beyond stupid. Hurst should make an example of him.
Positives? Not many but a wonderful strike from Bell for our second. Crocombe did OK but on several occasions overhit his clearances.
Negatives? If LJL is in the team for his ability to hold the ball up then we need an urgent Plan B..not sure he held the ball once.

PH Was saying it was a yellow card so he isnt going to make an example of him.

The internal fighting so im told was started by those Chanting Hurst Out and then led to fists flying betweeen In and out.

I cant hell but sense a toxic atmosphere is looming
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 4, 2021, 8:47pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Hagrid

PH Was saying it was a yellow card so he isnt going to make an example of him.

The internal fighting so im told was started by those Chanting Hurst Out and then led to fists flying betweeen In and out.

I cant hell but sense a toxic atmosphere is looming

Well I’d guess we couldn’t let Halifax away pass without one.
Posted by: denni266, December 4, 2021, 9:07pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from chaos33
I was waiting to see if there might be some balance and rationality - you’ve just brought it.
Everyone knows it’s really disappointing. It’s not good enough. But we need to regroup, take a critical but constructive overview and get on with it. I’ve watched Town for 40 years. I’ve seen many, many poorer squads and managers than this. One thing is for sure - if the fans turn against this committed and quality squad, we’ll deteriorate, not improve.
UTM

So we are just supposed to sit back and accept it . Never heared such a load of crap in my life.. Hurst has turned the team in to a bunch of no hopers.. They have gone from a free flowing  energetic team with flair and hunger to this shambles, and it is what Hurst has done to them with his dour way of playing . Ffs Hurst would have had ruined George best  and many more with the way he gets teams to play  he has to go for me .And the same will happen to the nextlot he gets in . Its a big mistake letting him have a free roam with our new owners money and our club  
Posted by: Hagrid, December 4, 2021, 9:32pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from denni266

So we are just supposed to sit back and accept it . Never heared such a load of crap in my life.. Hurst has turned the team in to a bunch of no hopers.. They have gone from a free flowing  energetic team with flair and hunger to this shambles, and it is what Hurst has done to them with his dour way of playing . Ffs Hurst would have had ruined George best  and many more with the way he gets teams to play  he has to go for me .And the same will happen to the nextlot he gets in . Its a big mistake letting him have a free roam with our new owners money and our club  

I think your going over the top
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 9:44pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from denni266

So we are just supposed to sit back and accept it . Never heared such a load of crap in my life

Haven’t you?

Can I point you towards your post history? I don’t think you read them before posting so it’ll be like a freshly curled out turd for you to sniff.  
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 4, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from denni266

So he gets no credit for building a team and taking it to the top of the league but all the blame for the last 5 weeks. By any chance we’re you one of the snowflakes who was upset by his spoilt comment and his ear cupping?

Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2021, 9:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266

Firstly, we have no option but to sit back and accept it. If I don't accept it, what should I do? Stop going? Car park protest? Shout obscenities at PH?

Secondly it was PH who put together and coached that free flowing, energetic team with flair and hunger that you speak of.

I don't get your arguments.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 9:54pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from ginnywings

Firstly, we have no option but to sit back and accept it. If I don't accept it, what should I do? Stop going? Car park protest? Shout obscenities at PH?

Secondly it was PH who put together and coached that free flowing, energetic team with flair and hunger that you speak of.

I don't get your arguments.

Pardon the pun, but it’s not a clear cut black or white argument, is it? Recent results are bad, you can’t get away from that but maybe we were a little lucky in some of the games we won.

You can’t just carry on losing games without having your credentials questioned, surely?
Posted by: rancido, December 4, 2021, 10:07pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from denni266

So who got this squad to top of the league in the  first place ? Who produced a "free flowing energetic team with flair and hunger" in the first place? Your dislike of Hurst does you no favours but sadly this knee-jerk reaction to a slump in performances is not confined to you alone. Where are we in the league and would you have honestly imagined after the debacle of last season that we would be in the position we are now at this stage of the season?
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 4, 2021, 10:14pm; Reply: 32
Right, just got home, that from start to finish was an utter mess. At the start of the season we had success because we played a high tempo pressing game. There was none of that today - Dagenham ruthlessly exploited our mostly lethargic midfield and won the majority of challenges and second balls all afternoon. Their wingers on both sides were quick, direct and capable of delivering dangerous balls into the box (unlike ours).

It didn't take them long to realise we had a centre half at left back, and inside the first 15 minutes they threatened a few times from our left side with Longe-King and Towler both looking very uncomfortable. Towler was drifting far too central, leaving tons of space for their winger to be played in and run at him. After 20 minutes they finally took advantage of all the space behind Towler by whipping a ball in that their midfielder got his head on and looped over Crocombe. Poor to allow space for the cross and poor again from the centre halves to allow a free header in the middle of the box (a worryingly recurring theme this season - we've conceded a number of goals from similar headers now)

There wasn't a huge amount to report until just before half-time - Dagenham were mostly in control for the rest of the half and we continued to leave massive gaps around our back line for them to attack through. Efete then finally remembered how to play as an overlapping full-back and linked up nicely with Maguire Drew (who was otherwise utterly anonymous) to get in behind their left back. He pulled back a low cross for McAtee who neatly swept it home at the near post, and we had an undeserved 1-1 draw going into the break.

I strongly disagree with the assertion above that there were few town fans who thought we wouldn't go on and win it at that point. At half-time it was blatantly obvious to everyone in the ground that our back line wasn't working at all and something had to change, otherwise Dagenham would continue to scythe through us in the second half. Unfortunately Hurst doesn't make tactical changes or substitutions until the at least the 70th minute, and we started the second half with exactly the same setup.

As the second half started we finally managed to retain possession in midfield a bit more consistently and put together a few decent moves which ultimately didn't amount to much - McAtee beat a man in the box but took too long to get his shot away which made it easy for their keeper to block his effort, and a few minutes later Hunt hit a decent volley from about 20 yards but it was comfortably saved. Shortly afterwards they got their second after they yet again took advantage of all the space we were giving them down the flanks to knock a ball into the box which came to Akanbi. Instead of bothering to close him down we gave him all day to sell a dummy and then fire into the roof of the net - again, nothing Crocombe could have done about that either, was all on the outfielders.

At that stage most of our players went into their shells, switched off and let Balanta run behind onto a through ball for a 1 on 1 which he slotted past Crocombe at his near post. I have no idea if he was offside since we were behind the goal, but i'm not exactly convinced he was. Crocombe could have possibly done better if i'm being critical, thought he was a bit slow off his line (too busy appealing for the offside?) and didn't exactly make it hard for Balanta to convert the chance.

Shortly after that McAtee went flying through their full-back trying to close down a clearance and got sent off. Was it a red card? I have no idea since it was right up the other end of the pitch. No idea what our plan will be for the next 3 matches since he was pretty much the only town player who'd turned up before that happened. Going down to 10 men finally forced Hurst into making some changes and he brought on Bell for the non-existent Maguire-Drew. About 60 seconds later Bell scored with his first touch, firing a loose ball from the edge of the box into the top corner with a lovely finish.

We put a little bit of pressure on them for the next 10 minutes or so, with Hunt finally coming into the game and dictating the tempo in midfield nicely. None of it really amounted to anything, and then for some reason Hurst substituted Taylor for LJL. This substitution killed the match off for us - Taylor hadn't really been in the game at all (nor had he really had any service, or teammates near him to lay it off to when the ball did come to him), but he's always going to be more likely to pop up with a goal than John Lewis. The game pretty much fizzled out from then - the only remaining remarkable event being John Lewis somehow managing to trip over his own feet and give the ball away under no pressure.

All round just a totally dire performance - both from the players, and tactically from Hurst. Far too many players hid away from their responsibilities today - Longe-King, Fox, Hunt, Clifton, Maguire-Drew & Taylor were all well below the required standard. I'm not going to be too harsh on Towler, because even though he also had an awful game he did at least have the excuse he was being played out of position. Efete didn't get forward often enough (the one time he did led to our goal), and McAtee stupidly got himself sent off after looking like the only bright spark in the first half. If we set up and play like that next Saturday Chesterfield will absolutely dismantle us.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:15pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from chaos33

Go and learn some basic grammar and then come back and make your points you negative, illiterate cretin.

Your comment might have more impact  had you not resorted to pretty horrible language.
Posted by: heppy88, December 4, 2021, 10:19pm; Reply: 34
You say Denni 266 is over the top, but I agree with his sentiment. The performance today was woeful.

There are those on here that preach “building” or “consolidation” or “giving time”. They generally accept mediocrity and mediocrity will always be enough for them.

But Grimsby Town and it’s supporters have had 20 years of utter shite. Year after year, promise after promise, excuse after excuse. We have no choice but to support our team but my God it seems like fook!ng torture at times.

Hurst took 6 years to get us out of this hell hole before and then he only scraped past the finish line. Why will it be any different this time? Are you prepared for another six (or longer) years to gain promotion? How long is an acceptable length of time?

Why shouldn’t we want promotion at the first time of asking? Why shouldn’t the fans be angry?
Why shouldn’t fans call for Hursts head after losing 6 out of the last 7 games?

Foo(k mediocrity I support Grimsby Town and some of us want success and not having to take 20 years to achieve it!!
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:24pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Chrisblor
Right, just got home, that from start to finish was an utter mess. At the start of the season we had success because we played a high tempo pressing game. There was none of that today - Dagenham ruthlessly exploited our mostly lethargic midfield and won the majority of challenges and second balls all afternoon. Their wingers on both sides were quick, direct and capable of delivering dangerous balls into the box (unlike ours).

It didn't take them long to realise we had a centre half at left back, and inside the first 15 minutes they threatened a few times from our left side with Longe-King and Towler both looking very uncomfortable. Towler was drifting far too central, leaving tons of space for their winger to be played in and run at him. After 20 minutes they finally took advantage of all the space behind Towler by whipping a ball in that their midfielder got his head on and looped over Crocombe. Poor to allow space for the cross and poor again from the centre halves to allow a free header in the middle of the box (a worryingly recurring theme this season - we've conceded a number of goals from similar headers now)

There wasn't a huge amount to report until just before half-time - Dagenham were mostly in control for the rest of the half and we continued to leave massive gaps around our back line for them to attack through. Efete then finally remembered how to play as an overlapping full-back and linked up nicely with Maguire Drew (who was otherwise utterly anonymous) to get in behind their left back. He pulled back a low cross for McAtee who neatly swept it home at the near post, and we had an undeserved 1-1 draw going into the break.

I strongly disagree with the assertion above that there were few town fans who thought we wouldn't go on and win it at that point. At half-time it was blatantly obvious to everyone in the ground that our back line wasn't working at all and something had to change, otherwise Dagenham would continue to scythe through us in the second half. Unfortunately Hurst doesn't make tactical changes or substitutions until the at least the 70th minute, and we started the second half with exactly the same setup.

As the second half started we finally managed to retain possession in midfield a bit more consistently and put together a few decent moves which ultimately didn't amount to much - McAtee beat a man in the box but took too long to get his shot away which made it easy for their keeper to block his effort, and a few minutes later Hunt hit a decent volley from about 20 yards but it was comfortably saved. Shortly afterwards they got their second after they yet again took advantage of all the space we were giving them down the flanks to knock a ball into the box which came to Akanbi. Instead of bothering to close him down we gave him all day to sell a dummy and then fire into the roof of the net - again, nothing Crocombe could have done about that either, was all on the outfielders.

At that stage most of our players went into their shells, switched off and let Balanta run behind onto a through ball for a 1 on 1 which he slotted past Crocombe at his near post. I have no idea if he was offside since we were behind the goal, but i'm not exactly convinced he was. Crocombe could have possibly done better if i'm being critical, thought he was a bit slow off his line (too busy appealing for the offside?) and didn't exactly make it hard for Balanta to convert the chance.

Shortly after that McAtee went flying through their full-back trying to close down a clearance and got sent off. Was it a red card? I have no idea since it was right up the other end of the pitch. No idea what our plan will be for the next 3 matches since he was pretty much the only town player who'd turned up before that happened. Going down to 10 men finally forced Hurst into making some changes and he brought on Bell for the non-existent Maguire-Drew. About 60 seconds later Bell scored with his first touch, firing a loose ball from the edge of the box into the top corner with a lovely finish.

We put a little bit of pressure on them for the next 10 minutes or so, with Hunt finally coming into the game and dictating the tempo in midfield nicely. None of it really amounted to anything, and then for some reason Hurst substituted Taylor for LJL. This substitution killed the match off for us - Taylor hadn't really been in the game at all (nor had he really had any service, or teammates near him to lay it off to when the ball did come to him), but he's always going to be more likely to pop up with a goal than John Lewis. The game pretty much fizzled out from then - the only remaining remarkable event being John Lewis somehow managing to trip over his own feet and give the ball away under no pressure.

All round just a totally dire performance - both from the players, and tactically from Hurst. Far too many players hid away from their responsibilities today - Longe-King, Fox, Hunt, Clifton, Maguire-Drew & Taylor were all well below the required standard. I'm not going to be too harsh on Towler, because even though he also had an awful game he did at least have the excuse he was being played out of possession. Efete didn't get forward often enough (the one time he did led to our goal), and McAtee stupidly got himself sent off after looking like the only bright spark in the first half. If we set up and play like that next Saturday Chesterfield will absolutely dismantle us.

I respect and acknowledge that balanced, well constructed  opinion mate and agree it is really worrying.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:25pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Your comment might have more impact  had you not resorted to pretty horrible language.

Who made you judge, jury and executioner?
Posted by: Hagrid, December 4, 2021, 10:26pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from heppy88
You say Denni 266 is over the top, but I agree with his sentiment. The performance today was woeful.

There are those on here that preach “building” or “consolidation” or “giving time”. They generally accept mediocrity and mediocrity will always be enough for them.

But Grimsby Town and it’s supporters have had 20 years of utter shite. Year after year, promise after promise, excuse after excuse. We have no choice but to support our team but my God it seems like fook!ng torture at times.

Hurst took 6 years to get us out of this hell hole before and then he only scraped past the finish line. Why will it be any different this time? Are you prepared for another six (or longer) years to gain promotion? How long is an acceptable length of time?

Why shouldn’t we want promotion at the first time of asking? Why shouldn’t the fans be angry?

Foo(k mediocrity I support Grimsby Town and some of us want success and not having to take 20 years to achieve it!!

we all want success

But in a league of high spending clubs it just isnt a given. We are not a big club anymore and until some of you accept that you’re gonna have this arrogant inferiority complex
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:29pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from chaos33

Who made you judge, jury and executioner?

No one.

I just don’t like unnecessary insults chucked about when grown ups don’t share the same opinion.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2021, 10:30pm; Reply: 39
Pretty much how I saw it Chris. Wouldn’t change a word of what you said.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:34pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Seriously, we win a couple of games and this person is nowhere to be seen. Lose one or two and he’s here, spouting the same old badly expressed, poorly spelled sh1te…..seemingly relishing an opportunity to indulge in moaning defeatism, no matter what year it is, who the manager is or what the bigger picture looks like. Just tiresome, incoherent, imbalanced, negative b0ll0cks.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:37pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from chaos33

Seriously, we win a couple of games and this person is nowhere to be seen. Lose one or two and he’s here, spouting the same old badly expressed, poorly spelled sh1te…..seemingly relishing an opportunity to indulge in moaning defeatism, no matter what year it is, who the manager is or what the bigger picture looks like. Just tiresome, incoherent, imbalanced, negative b0ll0cks.

That’s fair enough but please look up the definition of the word ‘cretin’ and understand why some of us might find it offensive.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:39pm; Reply: 42
Right. Lots of things offend me. Where do I send my list?
Posted by: Chrisblor, December 4, 2021, 10:42pm; Reply: 43
https://twitter.com/dril/status/978625282222559233
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:44pm; Reply: 44
In fact, revise that…..offend is not the right word. ‘Offend’ is a self righteous judgement.,
Poverty,political disgrace and the death of a child at the hands of his parents offend me. Appall me, rather.
That poster contributes nothing other than badly expressed, negative pages of utter cobblers.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, December 4, 2021, 10:49pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That’s fair enough but please look up the definition of the word ‘cretin’ and understand why some of us might find it offensive.

Yet when it comes to the so-called “woke brigade” you’ll be amongst those berating people for being offended for non-PC language.
Posted by: chaos33, December 4, 2021, 10:55pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Are you speaking for others now? Why should I care what ‘offends’ you?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 10:55pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yet when it comes to the so-called “woke brigade” you’ll be amongst those berating people for being offended for non-PC language.

Sending you a PM.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 11:11pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sending you a PM.

Could you not just have sent it as a PM rather than telling the world?

Or do you precede every fart with a four page spread in the London Gazette?
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 4, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 49
Wonder if we will get any highlights, Hurst said the broadcast camera wasn't there today as he wanted to review that tackle?
Posted by: ginnywings, December 4, 2021, 11:18pm; Reply: 50
I just don't get all these references to happy clappers and accepting mediocrity.

We, as fans, can do nothing about the situation on the pitch, other than support, or don't support, the team.

It's not about accepting mediocrity and applauding failure. No one likes to see their team lose games, especially a run of games, but there are differing views as to what should, or can be done.

We've all witnessed the same sh1te over the same period of time going back years, but IMO (and I'm quite aware other opinions may differ), we can't just keep ripping it up and starting again. Been there, done that.

If however, we lose the next 6 games, then yeah, the Hurst out argument gains more traction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that certain of us are happy with the results just because we aren't calling for the head of the manager on a silver platter.  

We were good until recently and now we are bad. We may get good again, or we may not. The beginning of the season had great promise, which for me, buys PH more time.

So to you who aren't accepting of the situation as you keep pointing out- what do you intend to do about it to show your non-acceptance?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 11:19pm; Reply: 51

Could you not just have sent it as a PM rather than telling the world?

Or do you precede every fart with a four page spread in the London Gazette?

I would but the London Gazette isn’t published at the weekend.
Posted by: Knut Anders Fosters Voles, December 4, 2021, 11:22pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I would but the London Gazette isn’t published at the weekend.

So you could have held it in til Monday. 😜
Posted by: Maringer, December 4, 2021, 11:23pm; Reply: 53
Calling people 'Happy Clappers' is an attempt to sow division, making it an 'Us' versus 'Them' situation. A tactic beloved of trolls.

There I go myself, setting fans and trolls apart. I'm quite happy with that viewpoint.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, December 4, 2021, 11:31pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from ginnywings
I just don't get all these references to happy clappers and accepting mediocrity.

We, as fans, can do nothing about the situation on the pitch, other than support, or don't support, the team.

It's not about accepting mediocrity and applauding failure. No one likes to see their team lose games, especially a run of games, but there are differing views as to what should, or can be done.

We've all witnessed the same sh1te over the same period of time going back years, but IMO (and I'm quite aware other opinions may differ), we can't just keep ripping it up and starting again. Been there, done that.

If however, we lose the next 6 games, then yeah, the Hurst out argument gains more traction.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it doesn't mean that certain of us are happy with the results just because we aren't calling for the head of the manager on a silver platter.  

We were good until recently and now we are bad. We may get good again, or we may not. The beginning of the season had great promise, which for me, buys PH more time.

So to you who aren't accepting of the situation as you keep pointing out- what do you intend to do about it to show your non-acceptance?

Nothing different.

Go to the ground, support the team, hope for the best. Same as I’ve done for 53 years. Sometimes expecting, sometimes hoping.

No one promised a quick fix but hype overtakes hope and becomes expectation. Expectation brings pressure and it seems too much for some.
Posted by: mariner91, December 4, 2021, 11:46pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from barralad

No, you're not allowed to criticise LJL on here or question whether he's actually very effective at the one thing his praisers claim he's good at.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, December 4, 2021, 11:50pm; Reply: 56
We have struggled since about the time we had The Fishy forecast of where Town would finish at the end of the season.  We were top at the time.  Rightly or wrongly many fans thought that we would be champions.

Bad karma, defeats, injuries and loss of form etc etc swiftly followed.  Maybe as a Club  we got ahead of ourselves?
Posted by: DB, December 5, 2021, 3:50am; Reply: 57
Quoted from Chrisblor

All round just a totally dire performance - both from the players, and tactically from Hurst. Far too many players hid away from their responsibilities today - Longe-King, Fox, Hunt, Clifton, Maguire-Drew & Taylor were all well below the required standard. I'm not going to be too harsh on Towler, because even though he also had an awful game he did at least have the excuse he was being played out of position. Efete didn't get forward often enough (the one time he did led to our goal), and McAtee stupidly got himself sent off after looking like the only bright spark in the first half. If we set up and play like that next Saturday Chesterfield will absolutely dismantle us.

Excellent summary, it confirms what I heard from JT on RH. Thank you Chris.

Posted by: sam gy, December 5, 2021, 9:53am; Reply: 58
Do think we need a bit of rationale re the apparent toxic atmosphere in the ground too. Saw on social media there was a lot of talk about it, asked my mate who was there at the match and he said “a couple of people chanted Hurst Out”.

Not saying there wasn’t handbags or whatever, but social media has a habit of blowing these things out of proportion.

Anyway, not really seen anyone mention the lad, but congrats to Bell for his goal. Perhaps his first professional one? Maybe he is the goalscorer  we need.
Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2021, 10:00am; Reply: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Good post mate. What they intend to do is peddle internet based fury and ‘red cross’ the ‘happy clappers’. Your post has 5 of those at this point and I reckon I could name them all!
Posted by: devs, December 5, 2021, 10:13am; Reply: 60
100% agree
The happy clappers quotes are pathetic, meaningless and idiotic
If being a 'happy clapper' is wanting stability, structure and to give managers a lengthy period of time then I am a happy clapper
Oldham - 17 managers in 10 years - that's gone really well!

Quoted from ginnywings

Posted by: denni266, December 5, 2021, 10:19am; Reply: 61
Quoted from heppy88

Well said . at last someone can see past the new over priced boozer and can see that a football club is about the football or lack of it in our case ..  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, December 5, 2021, 10:30am; Reply: 62
Quoted from denni266

Well said . at last someone can see past the new over priced boozer and can see that a football club is about the football or lack of it in our case ..  

And was you saying that 9 games ago?....thought not!..
Yes, at the moment the results and performances have fell off the edge of a cliff and if Hurst can't turn around then his tenure should be questioned by those in the higher echelons of the club but I cannot agree that a club is all about the football.
It runs deeper, it's about connection to the fan base and being a focal point to the local community.
And as a foot note, should Hurst be relieved of his duties I have no doubt that the improvement of the training facilities and introduction of certain members of backroom staff the club, as a whole, becomes more attractive to a higher calibre of potential managers.
Posted by: BobbyCummingsTackle, December 5, 2021, 10:32am; Reply: 63
Quoted from sam gy
Do think we need a bit of rationale re the apparent toxic atmosphere in the ground too. Saw on social media there was a lot of talk about it, asked my mate who was there at the match and he said “a couple of people chanted Hurst Out”.

Not saying there wasn’t handbags or whatever, but social media has a habit of blowing these things out of proportion.

Anyway, not really seen anyone mention the lad, but congrats to Bell for his goal. Perhaps his first professional one? Maybe he is the goalscorer  we need.

I was there and not far from 'the incident'.

Several supporters were very vocal about sacking Hurst and tried to get a chant going in the second half. It was audible but eventually got drowned out by a majority chanting 'PH's black and white army'

One individual (late 20's, tall, slim, black down jacket) stood on the 'concourse' at the front of the stand and exchanged words with an individual in the stand that very clearly included an invitation to meet him outside the ground after the game. The invitation was not for a discussion and a glass of port. Said individual then went into the stand and a fight started that included a very small group of maybe 4 to 7 individuals. It lasted 15 seconds and then our friend was dragged away.
Bizarrely the early exchange took place with a police officer almost stood next to the key protagonist and no attempt was made to shut him up or pull him away.

There was a very vocal group abusing Hurst but the majority of us were just frustrated at how the team were playing. Most of the abuse was the usual crap and it was a minority. A group of 12 year olds in Primark 'designer' gear used the opportunity to use naughty words their mum would send them to their bedrooms for using at home.

But, this may have been the start of more widespread discontent if we continue to play so poorly and get beaten week in week out. You could sense that most people agreed that the team were poor but a majority are still prepared to give Hurst a chance. That preparedness may not last much longer.
Posted by: chaos33, December 5, 2021, 10:46am; Reply: 64
Ah….how nice to read a balanced, cogent argument.
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 5, 2021, 11:13am; Reply: 65

I was there and not far from 'the incident'.

Several supporters were very vocal about sacking Hurst and tried to get a chant going in the second half. It was audible but eventually got drowned out by a majority chanting 'PH's black and white army'

One individual (late 20's, tall, slim, black down jacket) stood on the 'concourse' at the front of the stand and exchanged words with an individual in the stand that very clearly included an invitation to meet him outside the ground after the game. The invitation was not for a discussion and a glass of port. Said individual then went into the stand and a fight started that included a very small group of maybe 4 to 7 individuals. It lasted 15 seconds and then our friend was dragged away.
Bizarrely the early exchange took place with a police officer almost stood next to the key protagonist and no attempt was made to shut him up or pull him away.

There was a very vocal group abusing Hurst but the majority of us were just frustrated at how the team were playing. Most of the abuse was the usual crap and it was a minority. A group of 12 year olds in Primark 'designer' gear used the opportunity to use naughty words their mum would send them to their bedrooms for using at home.

But, this may have been the start of more widespread discontent if we continue to play so poorly and get beaten week in week out. You could sense that most people agreed that the team were poor but a majority are still prepared to give Hurst a chance. That preparedness may not last much longer.

Just like last time it seems to be a small number of the Stone Island crew who have a particular issue with Hurst. Others then follow like sheep. I can only assume this is because they admire their ability to bounce up and down behind the police and spend a fortune to look exactly the same as their mates.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 11:25am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Vance Warner

Just like last time it seems to be a small number of the Stone Island crew who have a particular issue with Hurst. Others then follow like sheep. I can only assume this is because they admire their ability to bounce up and down behind the police and spend a fortune to look exactly the same as their mates.

My 82 year old neighbour who played semi professional in his day thinks hurst is excrement he’s just had his knees done and I’ve never seen him in stone island but to be fair he does have a berghaus jacket though
Posted by: Davec, December 5, 2021, 11:35am; Reply: 67
Here is my attempt at a report, please forgive me for any inaccuracies as by the time kick off come round I already had too much to drink and was seeing double for most of the first half.

Well we didn't get going did we? Towler playing left back, he tried but you could tell he was playing out of position and was alowing all sorts of space down our left and their right, as a CB he is used to playing central so his natural instincts is to be playing centrally and that at full back is obvioulsy a dangerous game, it was him allowing too much space which led to the cross for their first goal but he can not be solely blamed as questiosn must be asked of the defending in the box as it was yet another free header which we are seeing too many times this season. before that we were managaing to have a few decent moments withiut really creating anything but that goal visibly kncoked the stuffing out of us.

as the first half was drawing to a close Efete linked up with largely anonymous JMD for the first time who in turn cut a ball back for Mcatee is knock it in from close range to send us in at the break level, talking to other fans at half time it was clear however that an improvement was needed in the 2nd half, sadly not much improvement come.

2nd half I felt was much like the first half and again we did not really do much but I do feel we started looking after and keeping the ball at times better than we did in the first half, again whilst not really creating much and sadly more poor defending was to follow and we conceded 2 quick goals and found oursolves 3-1 down and a mountain to climb within 10 mins of the 2nd half starting. offside for the 3rd goal or not we still need to defend better...

Mcatee cut a frustrated figure all game as he often has done this season at times and it is that frustation which boiled over and led to his dismissal, he tries those sort of challenges most games but today he got this wrong, totally wrong, we were the other side of the pitch and the reaction from the dagenham players was telling but I don't know if the dagenham players overreacted?

That never helped matters much and Bell was sent on almost immediately for JMD and he made an almost instant impact with a fine strike when the ball was running loose, I do wish other players would have the confidence to shoot from range if and when the oppurtunity comes up. Bell also showed a willingness to get stuck in and he seemed to add some energy i felt but unfortunately this was not reciprocated by the other players.

Longe King looked very shakey, but then he is not match fit as he has barely played this season as yet, Efete had a poor game and did not get forward as much as he has done in the past, Waterfall was the pick of the defenders whilst our struggles continued in midfield with all of them off it today and Taylor was isloated and John Lewis coming on for him was a baffling sub as it never attempted to address the problem which was Taylor being isolated, John Lewis also successfully mamnaged to trip over the ball somehow, if he is the answer then I dread to think what the question is.

players who were playing free flowing stuff, on top of their game and looking super confident are now all playing with the shackles on it seems, we look fragile mentally and you can see a difference in the players now compared to before and none of them are at the top of their game currently.

the slump has turned from puzzling to concerning, it is actually quite alarming at how backwards we have gone in just over a month, did the great start flatter us? maybe we are not as good as we all thought?

Big january transfer window coming up and I feel we need another 4 or 5 players still.

if we don't arrest the decline soon we will find ourselves mid table, which is where we could be if we lose the next 2 games, which look very tough.

I am not Hurst out yet but I feel he has a hell of a lot of work to do to try and halt the slump and get us back up the table, the great start does mean he has some credit in the bank but that credit will not last forever and already yesterday as others has mentioned, there was a small chant of "Hurst out", only sang by a handful of course but if we keep losing then that "handful" will start to swell in numbers.
Posted by: Vance Warner, December 5, 2021, 11:51am; Reply: 68
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

My 82 year old neighbour who played semi professional in his day thinks hurst is excrement he’s just had his knees done and I’ve never seen him in stone island but to be fair he does have a berghaus jacket though

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but does he offer fans out, start chants of Hurst is a male masturbator and hang banners calling for the manager's head the week before promotion? If so then he’s sprightly for 82!
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, December 5, 2021, 12:14pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from Vance Warner

Nothing wrong with having an opinion but does he offer fans out, start chants of Hurst is a male masturbator and hang banners calling for the manager's head the week before promotion? If so then he’s sprightly for 82!

I don’t think he’s offered anyone out to my knowledge ..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, December 5, 2021, 12:20pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Vance Warner

Don’t mention Stone Island on here I got slaughtered last time I made that link.

Maybe some people are just warming up for Halifax away so they can be true to form.
Posted by: MarinerWY, December 5, 2021, 12:22pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Davec
Here is my attempt at a report, please forgive me for any inaccuracies as by the time kick off come round I already had too much to drink and was seeing double for most of the first half.

Well we didn't get going did we?

By the sounds of it mate we could've peppered their goal all of the first half and you wouldn't have thought we'd got going... or you'd have thought it was 2-2 at half time 😉
Posted by: Davec, December 5, 2021, 12:42pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from MarinerWY

By the sounds of it mate we could've peppered their goal all of the first half and you wouldn't have thought we'd got going... or you'd have thought it was 2-2 at half time 😉

I was sober enough to keep count and know what is happening  ;)
Posted by: forza ivano, December 5, 2021, 1:01pm; Reply: 73
71 posts and about 3 on the actual game!
thought we played pretty well for the first 20 , there was a lot more energy and some good passing ,although we looked very vulnerable with their wide players. It looked like the first goal was a fluke header, but others have said he meant it
We then went to pieces with confidence obviously gone. Great bit of work from the new man and Efete to create the chance for Mcatee who took it well.
We started the 2nd half really well and were well on top until the centre forward completely 'did' Longe King and slotted home. Hurst seems convinced the 3rd was offside but i thought it came off Waterfall's head.
McAtee got deservedly sent off and then Bell came on and immediately scored a beauty. We then  failed to give him the ball for the rest of the game! Shop came on and showed why he's not the answer and after that we fell away.
So it was a real mix, some good stuff at times but long periods when we looked poor, with confidence shot
Crocombe - not impressed (see the other thread)
Efete - had his hands full, up against their motm (who was good)
Waterfall - my motm, thought he was excellent, given everything that was happening around him
Longe -King - would worry if he became a regular starter. Not a patch on Towler/Menayese/Hewitt
Towler - might have played LB, but don't think he'll play for GTFC there again! As i said in another thread Hurst had v little choice
Fox and Clifton - both summed up the performance - busy and good in patches, but then ineffective/anonymous
Hunt - probably the epitome of how we've changed for the worst.It's as if it's all become a bit too much for him
Maguire-Drew - he seems to solve 1 problem, but then causes another. Replaces Sousa who's busy, exciting, almost constantly involved but v little end product. This guy was the polar opposite, anonymous except on 2 or 3 occasions when his quality was excellent
McAtee - our only bright spark, and his recklessness probably cost us getting anything out of the game
Bell - looked like he could be really dangerous, but we never gave him the ball! Got to be worth starting up top with Taylor imho
The Shop - we need a new centre forward option! nuff said
Taylor - another who's a shadow of his September self. Think he's being asked to perform an impossible task, up there on his won and constantly surrounded /overwhelmed by 2 or 3 players
Posted by: arryarryarry, December 5, 2021, 2:06pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Vance Warner

FFS is that the best you can do, calling somebody by the clothes they wear.

I bet you wear long pointed shoes, a baggy white suit, a big red nose and far too much rouge. 🤡
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:23pm